I really dont understand why we have to sit and speculate on this phone. Why RIM just inform all of us as to whats going on. I'm getting so damn antsy and frustration being in the dark. Does anyone else understand why everything has to be so damn top secret?
    12-03-10 06:02 PM
    Competition IMO. Nobody wants to say that there's going to release a certain device with a certain amount of memory & features 6 months from now. It just gives the competition the opportunity to release something a little better/sooner.

The only losers to this are those of us that are very curious and want to know what's coming. But curiosity doesn't produce profits for RIM.
    12-03-10 06:12 PM
    What company doesn't do this?
    12-03-10 06:13 PM
    I really dont understand why we have to sit and speculate on this phone. Why RIM just inform all of us as to whats going on. I'm getting so damn antsy and frustration being in the dark. Does anyone else understand why everything has to be so damn top secret?
    I agree. It is not like there is a big demand for 10year old technology is there.
    12-04-10 11:59 PM
    Competition IMO. Nobody wants to say that there's going to release a certain device with a certain amount of memory & features 6 months from now. It just gives the competition the opportunity to release something a little better/sooner.

The only losers to this are those of us that are very curious and want to know what's coming. But curiosity doesn't produce profits for RIM.
    Um explain how their not doing this with the Playbook then?
    12-05-10 09:07 AM
    They are more in control of release dates and such with the playbook as they know they won't be delayed by having to get carrier approval with it, so the importance of getting 3rd party developers engaged with the new platform outweighs the potential benefits of secrecy.
    12-05-10 11:44 AM
    Well if Rogers is going to be selling it as a carrier, who's to say they don't need carrier approval with it before it's released? If Verizon is gonna be selling this thing then we could all be in trouble cause they may not approve it till who knows when. Look what's going on with OS6....
    Regardless if they are able to draw more 3rd party interest, they still showed their hand very very early here. They are positioning the PB against the iPad specifically as we all know. So even if the iPad2 was gonna have all the features of the PB when it was released regardless of RIM showing their hand, Apple is still able to now one up them in terms of chips, other specs and maybe OS ideas. Also the iPad2 may be released before the PB, since we don't know a release date on it either, so most likely RIM will end up behind once again anyway.
    Which brings us to the S3, which AGAIN we know is gonna be directly competing with the iPhone, Droids and W7. Do we really expect the S3 to be a crazy spec-ed out phone waaay ahead of its competition. I surely don't and it's already been said that the rumored specs aren't too impressive. If anything they still aren't on a complete level playing field with some phones out right now. So the point of them not showing their hand on this phone is falling on def ears to people waiting for it.
    What would happen if we saw a leak of the S3 finally anyway? Does RIM really think its that insanely awesome that others are gonna say, ah crap that phone is gonna be the best thing ever, we better go back to the drawing board here and figure something out. I mean even if we saw a leak and knew solid specs, RIM STILL has to prove they can produce something a whole lot better then the S1&2 cause they are a joke compared to the consumer touchscreen smartphones that are out and selling well now. I know when the S1 was released the chips were ahead of other phones out at the time but they never were able to use the hardware to it's full potential. So RIM still needs to prove they can produce a final product that is gonna wow customers. Who cares what a leak shows anyway?
    IMO, all RIM is doing by being so secretive on this phone is losing customers and peoples patience. If the S3 was gonna be sick spec-wise or something way ahead of other phones then I'd think differently about it. I just don't see that happening thou....
    Last edited by MattyG27; 12-05-10 at 02:59 PM.
    12-05-10 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD