I think having the [Call][Menu][Trackpad][Back][End] buttons are extremely important.a few reasons.

End call: why? Because when I want to multitask while in a phone call, such as finding another when somone asks for it, I want to be able to hang up without finding the call app and opening it. It also allows me to quickly get to the home screen.

Back: when I'm in a phone call and hit back, it takes me out of the phone call, but leave the call open allowing me to do other things, holding it terminates what ever application I am using. It also acts as a back button in virtually every app I use.

Trackpad: precision selection, helps with copy and paste: example. hold shift and drag trackpad to select text, hold alt and click trackpad to copy, hold shift and click to paste. This will be hard to do with bezel swipes.

Menu: playbook solves this issue with a swipe from the top, but on the millin that's far to high for one handed use. Holding it brings up all my open apps.

Call: opens my phone app, enough said for business personnel.
    12-08-11 06:24 PM
    While those examples are all real, the flow to accomplishing them you laid out is using the controls / path of the existing OS. We don't know how it will evolve, but there is more than likely a different implementation that is much more intuitive. Some examples of the top of my head:

Example 1: every single button could be replaced with a command bar appearing while in call that bumps the icons up or down. if you have a playbook, swipe diagonally downward while an app is open to see what I mean...the top bar appears and locks there until you tap elsewhere. Imagine doing that in a call and seeing actual contextual graphic icons of what you can do.

Example 2: put a phone icon in the top bar when a call is made. tapping it returns to your call/ triggers contextual menus

Example 3: swipe diagonally up from the right. (left is keyboard on playbook) swipe again to hide.

Example 4: four buttons gone, four corners of a multi touch sensitive bezel. take your pick of tapping where for what.

There are a ton of use cases that they could do which would offer a far better experience. I personally applaud them for thinking outside the box and dropping the buttons.
    meganVee likes this.
    12-08-11 06:46 PM
    I'm completely new to Blackberry with my Bold 9930. I was previously using Palm webOS and PalmOS phones.

What I love most about using the Blackberry are the hard buttons. I am always using all four of the lower buttons plus the mute button. These change everything for me. I almost forgot that Smartphones are supposed to be good phones.

The trackpad is probably the biggest and most pleasurable change for me. I love the way that you can quickly navigate menus. I even prefer using it for navigating web pages over the touch screen. In general I am not a big fan of phone surfing on a small screen, and that is why I immediately added a Playbook to my mobile arsenal.

I'm seeing these pictures of future Blackberry 10 phones without buttons and I want to cry. I really love QNX, but I am trying to figure out why somebody would buy one of these new phones instead of an iPhone or Android if the buttons that make a Blackberry a Blackberry are gone.
    12-08-11 07:01 PM
    ummmm so im pretty sure u havent used a playbook? It specializes in multitasking. U dont think that they would have thought about this if they decided to get rid of physical buttons? RIM knows that them buttons have been apart of BB hardware for many years so if they are doing away with them, them im sure they have a suitable replacement.

I know the buttons are important but how do u think IOS and Android have done this long without them dedicated buttons. RIM will show off their new OS soon enough. everything will work itself out
    12-08-11 08:09 PM
    Remember, these images are only renders of the devices... we don't know that there wont be touchscreen-like buttons like some of the Droids have.

I also think the playbook like gestures would work just fine, did you read the article on crackberry regarding it?
    12-08-11 09:09 PM
    Unless the touch technology is as good as the iPhone's, they need to include a trackpad or some tool to improve precision clicking (small links, etc.). Even on the PlayBook precision clicking isn't that accurate.

And with no trackpad, menu button from thumbs' reach, reaching around looking for bezels (top, bottom, left, or right) on a large touch screen, seems BlackBerry's convenient one-handed productivity will definitely suffer. They should've left the bezel gestures to tablets only.
    irockster9 likes this.
    12-08-11 10:33 PM
    is it really so hard to have to use two hand to do something as use swiping gestures? with a truly touch based OS, it probably wont even be a issue
    12-09-11 08:34 AM
    i think alot of bbusers are over reacting to the no physical buttons on then new devices take apple for example with one button and not even a touch sensetive bezel all wat u metioned is done with ease and not two hands ...what RIM has to do is really take their time and use their heads to the best of their ability and make sure the touch sensetive bezels are easy and functional and the phone kicks *** and thats it
    meganVee and Revampd like this.
    12-09-11 11:28 AM
    All is not lost, a little imagination is due. the family BB buttons have become so ingrained that now we cannot imagine another way.
    I think having the [Call][Menu][Trackpad][Back][End] buttons are extremely important.a few reasons.
    End call: why? Because when I want to multitask while in a phone call, such as finding another when somone asks for it, I want to be able to hang up without finding the call app and opening it. It also allows me to quickly get to the home screen..
    As long as the phone app has a live call, the following options can be kept on screen during multitasking.
    [Call] which turns to [Hold] on connection; [Speakerphone]; and [End]; and/or [Mute] if they remove it from the top.
    Back: when I'm in a phone call and hit back, it takes me out of the phone call, but leave the call open allowing me to do other things, holding it terminates what ever application I am using. It also acts as a back button in virtually every app I use. .
    An onscreen [Back] and [End] button can be added for ALL apps. Really that is obvious.
    Trackpad: precision selection, helps with copy and paste: example. hold shift and drag trackpad to select text, hold alt and click trackpad to copy, hold shift and click to paste. This will be hard to do with bezel swipes. .
    This one will never be replicated by a program and in all honesty RIM would do well to make it survive the big switch. If I was part of the design panel I would suggest the Blackberry branded area be made touch sensitive to emulate the swiping/scrolling action of the trackpad, everyday laptops do this. Admittedly the experience will never be the same but at least they will have made an effort without blemishing their clean, neat design.
    Menu: playbook solves this issue with a swipe from the top, but on the millin that's far to high for one handed use. Holding it brings up all my open apps.
    [Menu] has to be the easiest to program, seriously.
    CosmicHeretic likes this.
    12-09-11 11:31 AM

End call: why? Because when I want to multitask while in a phone call, such as finding another when somone asks for it, I want to be able to hang up without finding the call app and opening it. It also allows me to quickly get to the home screen.

Back: when I'm in a phone call and hit back, it takes me out of the phone call, but leave the call open allowing me to do other things, holding it terminates what ever application I am using. It also acts as a back button in virtually every app I use.
    It is clear you do not know about gestures and how they work on the PlayBook and should work on the phone. A swipe up will minimize the call screen while keeping the call active. Then all you have to do is to select your contact app and then select the person you want to find the number for. The phone call will still be active. Then again swipe up to minimize the contact app, touch the "x" and it will close. All this happens while the phone call is still active. It's a cinch!

Trackpad: precision selection, helps with copy and paste: example. hold shift and drag trackpad to select text, hold alt and click trackpad to copy, hold shift and click to paste. This will be hard to do with bezel swipes.

To be precise in inserting to do copy and paste, just hold on the line you want to copy and paste and the two blue tabs show up. You just drag to where you want to copy, select copy, and using your finger you place on the line you want to paste to, wait for the blue tab to show, drag the tab to where you want and hit paste. No need for buttons.

It would help all BB users to use a PlayBook and they will see how great BB10 phones will be.
    TheScionicMan and meganVee like this.
    12-09-11 04:09 PM
    I agree and I disagree. While I like the buttons, I would also like more screen real estate (without making the device any bigger).
    12-09-11 04:36 PM
    I must say, I was big on having the physical buttons in the beginning, however, thinking about the PlayBook and how the bezel is configured to react to swipes, I can see it being better to leave out the physical buttons. I do however feel that there should be a dedicated area on the bottom, not a button but a touch area, where you can use it as you would a trackpad now. I like how precise the trackpad is at pin pointing where to put the cursor in text.
    12-10-11 02:30 AM
    To be precise in inserting to do copy and paste, just hold on the line you want to copy and paste and the two blue tabs show up. You just drag to where you want to copy, select copy, and using your finger you place on the line you want to paste to, wait for the blue tab to show, drag the tab to where you want and hit paste. No need for buttons.

It would help all BB users to use a PlayBook and they will see how great BB10 phones will be.
    I have a PlayBook, and probably my biggest complaint about it is the horrible precision of those selection tabs. I always find it to be an exercise in futility first trying to pinpoint the text I'm trying to copy, and it's even worse trying to locate exactly where I want to paste it. I usually end up entering a whole bunch of blank lines in the hopes that I'll get it somewhere near where I want it, then delete the extra lines. It's a total and complete pain in the a$$, even zooming the screen up, and I can't begin to imagine how much more frustrating it would be on a screen about a quarter of the size. On the 9900 I can pinpoint exactly where I want to begin and end text selection with the trackpad, then pinpoint exactly where I want to paste it. Thumb it and click it in one shot every time. To me there is absolutely no comparison between the two methods. And face it, for those of us who prefer physical keyboards, it's most likely because text entry is one of our primary actions, so the ability to accurately cut and paste text is a pretty significant need.
    12-10-11 02:56 AM
    One of my gripes is appearance. BlackBerry is known for unique design that makes each line stand out. The 4 iconic buttons have been a part of that look. Though I can agree change can be a good thing especially now, I don't think making a BlackBerry that's difficult to distinguish from an android is a good move.

My other gripe is the lack of trackpad. This as another poster mentioned can be fixed with a touch pad area, but would lack flair. BlackBerry stands out with its design. Yes the OS has difficulties, but ease of one-handed use has to be one of the most useful perks. Ridding us of that would be ridiculous in my opinion.
    12-31-11 09:48 PM
    I totally agree. When I had my iPhone or Android. That was the most FRUSTRATING part. I would try and click links on websites or try and tap on anything. And I would always end up doing the wrong thing. Made me so made. One strong reason that made me switch to BB. Oohhh and another beauty part about trackpad...... No GREASY fingerprints all over my screen!!! lol
    lorax1284 likes this.
    01-03-12 01:57 AM
    I really think they should keep the track pad as well. For editing text it is awesome. The iPhone does this ok, but android and web os suck at it, which tells me it is hard to get right. The track pad is still way better.

I don't care about the rest of the hard buttons. Just because the button isn't there, doesn't mean you wont get that functionality. They can just tie the functionality to a soft button.

I suspect the reason RIM is reluctant to add the track pad is that without it, dev's are forced to rethink their UI's. They can't just bury features in menu's, etc. I believe one reason iPhone UI's tend to be nicer than Android one's is the fact that the OS has no menus. It will also force apps to be behave differently than they would have on BBOld. Even if different isn't better, it will result in a very "new feel" for the BBX devices when they roll out.
    01-13-12 01:00 PM
    I think having the physical buttons and trackpad on the Milan makes sense: of course they better be on the N-series "Bold"' and probably not on the L-series Slab, so this will be a nice compromise for those wanting Slab + buttons / trackpad: they just never slide out the keyboard if they don't want to use it, but still have the buttons for all the reasons already articulated in this thread.
    08-20-12 05:51 PM
    I have a PlayBook, and probably my biggest complaint about it is the horrible precision of those selection tabs. I always find it to be an exercise in futility first trying to pinpoint the text I'm trying to copy, and it's even worse trying to locate exactly where I want to paste it. ...................
    My biggest complaint as well
    CosmicHeretic likes this.
    09-01-12 08:26 PM
    That single button drives me nuts when I use my sisters phone. I was shocked that they were removing the buttons as well at first but it will be fine. I own a PlayBook and it does fine with out the buttons. The track pad would be a nice feature but it does fine. With the gestures they show in many of the vidoes, the OP will be able to do all that he asks and with ease.

James
    12-15-12 09:07 AM
    I use the track pad to copy text all the time on my 9810. I love that feature. But you have to remember that it is a touch screen. There will be no alt or shift key. So your track pad will almost be like a hammer without a nail.

James
    12-15-12 09:14 AM
    I really don't think they will have those buttons on the N series. With "hub" and "flow" they found a way to do away with the buttons and to take it to another level. With the buttons you would lose screen size or you would add a half inch or so to the height of the phone.

James
    12-15-12 09:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD