Anyone who pays attention to computer technology will remember around 2006-2007, when high clocked single core processors "hit a wall" so to speak, and dual core chips took over.

Now we all know that the single core chips in phones will hit the same wall, there's only so much performance you can squeeze out of them before bottlenecks like power consumption and heat begin to take over. And these bottlenecks are even more pronounced on phones than pc's, which cannot disperse heat nearly as efficiently, and do not have an unlimited power supply. So why are we still obsessing over the 1GHz snapdragon processor, which will likely sap battery life like nothing else?

Why aren't we spending more time investing into multi-core tech?

You can manage power more efficiently with say, a dual core 500MHz proc than a single core 800ish, because you can shut one core down when the phone is in standby, and multi-task better as well.

I just think its obvious this is the way tech will move in the future, we already saw it happen in the PC market, and I don't know why phone manufacturers aren't jumping the gun and getting a head start on this inevitable shift.
    12-27-09 02:31 PM
    I've said it in my post and I'll say it again...

I can't seem to get BBM to update at times without my phone bricking let alone thinking RIM has the ability to tell a computer chip core to shut down in a power saving mode! ROFL!!

But I agree with you - I mentioned this in my thread: Mobile phones are becoming more and more a replacement for laptops and the like - we can do pretty much anything (save for CS4!) on phones that gets the "job" done. So we need mobile powerhouses and better battery tech.
    12-27-09 03:41 PM
    Its not like I'm against putting more power under the hood of our smartphones, trust me I'm all for that.

Its just that you can either make one core as fast as possible, or you can have multiple cores do the same job. Now we know that in a PC, the realistic threshold for our current processor die constructions is about 4GHz (they'll go faster sure, but 4GHz is really the top end of what a proc can do in a normal computer climate).

So knowing this, why are we going in the direction we know will eventually hit a brick wall? Why don't they follow the pc market which is 8-10 years ahead in terms of hardware, and thus an accurate prediction of what phone hardware will likely look like in a decade or so?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-09 09:18 PM
    Straight from Wikipedia:
    From an architectural point of view, ultimately, single CPU designs may make better use of the silicon surface area than multiprocessing cores, so a development commitment to this architecture may carry the risk of obsolescence. Finally, raw processing power is not the only constraint on system performance. Two processing cores sharing the same system bus and memory bandwidth limits the real-world performance advantage.
    Production of multi-core mobile processors is not only more complex, but will require a complete redesign of current hardware solutions. Doing so will not only increase production costs, but also make it more complex to design compatible software as well as provide an interface to all components of the device to fully utilize a multi-core design.

Having that said and remembering what smartphones actually are, mixing in multi-core with a phone will necessarily not give the outcome you are waiting for. What we need now is not faster processing capability, but much more optimized battery technology.

Simple tasks like e-mail and web browsing on a mobile phone simply do not need that much processing speed and require more network quality than raw processing power. Why have a 1Ghz mobile CPU in a smartphone if your 3G network barely reaches 600KB/s? I can see where more processing speed would allow for faster operation on WiFi, though even then the full potential of 802.11g isn't reached. People are now on 802.11n... just saying.

Eventually we will see and go further, especially in terms of fabrication technology and when we do in fact hit the ceiling with a 4Ghz mobile CPU, I don't know what to tell you, except it'll be a quite long time before that.
    12-29-09 08:49 AM
    Why do countries have arms races? Why do countries have races to get to outer space first? Why are Audi RS, BMW M, Mercedes AMG, and Cadillac V vehicles locked in a horsepower race?

Because it's cooooolll mannnnnn.
    01-26-10 08:24 PM
    Why aren't we spending more time investing into multi-core tech?
    If the escreens are anything to go by, the chips are already multicore, and one core handles radio processing, another core handles the JVM, etc.

That being said, I don't know actually if the underlying cpu is multicore -- the "core" in the escreen be some hardware abstraction rather than being an actual "physical core".
    01-27-10 02:06 AM
    Although some phones have a 1GHz processor, I doubt that they will be clocked at 1GHz. Clocking it at it's full speed would decimate battery life and probably burn your hands in the process. I read on engadget (i think) that the nexus1 is only clocked at about 500MHz despite having the afforementioned snap dragon processor.
    01-27-10 04:39 AM
    Last time I checked, the Storm runs a Qualcomm MSM7600 which is a dual core processor with Arm11 running at 400 MHz and Arm9 running at 274 MHz...

Also, Qualcomms latest Snapdragon QSD8672 is running 2 cores at 1.5Ghz each...
    01-28-10 05:18 AM
    There are only a few big things I want in a phone: Reliability, functionality, and speed. Reliability and functionality is great, which is what my Tour does great for me, but if it's slow, it takes forever to do things. My phone isn't that slow, but oh how I would love it if everything loaded in 3GS/Droid speeds or faster. Maybe I'm spoiled with my multi-core and high RAM PC and laptop, heh
    01-28-10 01:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD