From what I understand the Storm 4G could be positioned as a high-end Blackberry device, while the 9570 would be pushed down to being a midrange device. If it was a mid-range device with specs and pricing of the BB Curve, RIM could've pushed out a lot of them as an introductory BlackBerry touchscreen.

So, why? If it was almost identical to the 9550 down to the price I could see how it's be DOA, but as a midrange it would be one of the cheaper touchscreen smartphones on the market and could be pretty popular.
    10-14-10 10:40 AM
    They would lose more customers since a lot of us bought both Storms in the past 2 years and this one would have just been a small upgrade. This will make sense if they do release the 4G Storm next year with everything people have been asking for.
    10-14-10 11:33 AM
    But still, It'd be nice if RIM offered a midrange touchscreen.
    10-14-10 11:42 AM
    RIM needs to get one touchscreen device RIGHT before they worry about high-end and or mid range touchscreens, let's be real here.

I'd like to believe they scratched the 9570 because it just wasn't much of an upgrade besides more memory(OS6 compatible) and a better camera. Maybe the crappy sales figures of the Torch made them also realize that they need to step up the hardware on their new devices or they are just gonna keep getting laughed at when compared to all these high end touchscreen phones. The screen res on the Torch is beat and OS6 didn't get rating thru the roof at launch either.

I hope this other S3 device they are talking about, which is a capactive touchscreen device has a lot more upgrades and not just the absence of Sure-Press being the only change.
    If they were smart they'd try to give this other device more of an appeal by upping the screen resolution, changing the design a lil bit and maybe throwing some other upgrades in there. However, correct me if I'm wrong here, but if it's going to be running OS6 then it would either be tough or not possible to change the screen res?? Which most likely just makes this other device they speak of a disappointment also.
    We are most likely just gonna be stuck waiting on the S4 for who knows how long....
    10-14-10 12:41 PM
    Based on recent articles, it was canceled because there were 3 prototypes in development, and RIM never intended to bring all 3 to market. So as development continued, one of the devices was dropped, one of them is targeted as an LTE device released in 2011, and one is slated for November. Supposebly.
    10-14-10 12:47 PM
    That makes ther most sense of anything I've heard. Perhaps an early QNX hopeful device has been pushed to OS6 when the 9570 was dropped. ??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-10 05:42 PM
    I agree that it could be because other versions of the Storm are close on the horizon.

I don't think it's because it's just a simple "upgrade" or "refresh" though. Look at the 9780 that is slated to release soon. That's even less of an upgrade than the 9570. Same double the memory and 5mp camera but, the 9700 IS getting BlackBerry 6, well eventually, while the 9550 isn't suppose to.

Btw, this topic is already being discussed here http://forums.crackberry.com/f223/st...hedule-536844/
    10-14-10 06:43 PM
    Based on recent articles, it was canceled because there were 3 prototypes in development, and RIM never intended to bring all 3 to market. So as development continued, one of the devices was dropped, one of them is targeted as an LTE device released in 2011, and one is slated for November. Supposebly.
    Question: is the LTE version the one with the leaked bigger screen? and would this mysterious other device essentially be what I'm talking about, a midrange touchscreen device?
    10-15-10 11:32 AM
    Why was it scrapped? Because rim tries to pass up the same old specs in a so-called new device. If the s3 comes out with decent specs and a qnx playbook-like i'd be highly tempted to return to bb.

10-27-10 12:31 PM
    Why was it scrapped? Because rim tries to pass up the same old specs in a so-called new device.

If this is true then explain the 9780? It's even less of an upgrade then the 9570 is, at least the 9700 will eventually get BlackBerry 6 while the 9550 will be stuck on 5.0.

10-27-10 12:46 PM
    If this is true then explain the 9780? It's even less of an upgrade then the 9570 is, at least the 9700 will eventually get BlackBerry 6 while the 9550 will be stuck on 5.0.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com the only thing that the 9780 has going is that its an upgrade to one of the best BBs every made so far in the 9700. you cant say the same for the storm series.
    Last edited by howarmat; 10-27-10 at 01:22 PM.
    10-27-10 01:07 PM
    the only thing that the 9780 has going is that its an upgrade to one of the best BBs every made so far in the 9700. you cant say the same for the storm series.
    The 9550 has similar specs to the 9700 BUT with a GPU. The SurePress button has been improved over the 9530 so it is no longer an issue. The only problem is with the OS. the 9550 even has more memory

I have a 9530 and the only problems were that the button sticks and the OS is buggy. and considering the specs are higher or equal than the 9700 (the 9700's cpu is faster, but the 9550 has a GPU so that makes performance better and makes OpenGL possible), if the 9570 was similar but launched with a fixed OS, it would probably be considered one of the best Blackberrys.

But RIM, position and price it similar to the Curve 3G series, then come out with the Storm 4G with a bigger screen.
    Last edited by grahamf; 10-27-10 at 01:14 PM.
    10-27-10 01:10 PM

Bold has been a success for RIM. Storm...lol...not so much.
    10-27-10 01:20 PM
    The 9550 has similar specs to the 9700 BUT with a GPU. The SurePress button has been improved over the 9530 so it is no longer an issue. The only problem is with the OS. the 9550 even has more memory

I have a 9530 and the only problems were that the button sticks and the OS is buggy. and considering the specs are higher or equal than the 9700 (the 9700's cpu is faster, but the 9550 has a GPU so that makes performance better and makes OpenGL possible), if the 9570 was similar but launched with a fixed OS, it would probably be considered one of the best Blackberrys.

But RIM, position and price it similar to the Curve 3G series, then come out with the Storm 4G with a bigger screen.
    what does that have to do with the 9700->9780 upgrade though?
    10-27-10 01:21 PM
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com the only thing that the 9780 has going is that its an upgrade to one of the best BBs every made so far in the 9700. you cant say the same for the storm series.
    Bold has been a success for RIM. Storm...lol...not so much.
    While I agree with both of you that the Bold series is the best line that RIM makes, I just find the double-standard amusing. When we first seen images and specs of the 9570 many CB users were mad at the fact that it was just a simple upgrade of memory, camera, and BlackBerry 6 support. While everyone raved about the 9780 when all it got was memory and camera upgrades. That the 9780 was a godsend while the 9570 was a pathetic upgrade. That makes no sense to me...

Am I denying that the 9550 wasn't the best BB out there? No, it has it's own issues, that very well could have been remedied with the 9570. I love my 9550, and am using it with little to no issues...

Do I wish the 9550 would have got BlackBerry 6 support? You bet! Am I mad that it didn't? No, could care less about it, it works just fine the way it is. I have a 9650 for that. Would I have liked the 9570? No, wouldn't be worth the upgrade for me, but would have been great for 9530 users.

I'm saving my upgrade for the true Storm 3 that will hopefully be coming early next year...
    10-27-10 03:17 PM
    I agree with the double standard. I think a lot of it has to do with the form factor. People expect touch screens to have iPhone or Android specs now.
    10-27-10 03:26 PM
    While I agree with both of you that the Bold series is the best line that RIM makes, I just find the double-standard amusing. When we first seen images and specs of the 9570 many CB users were mad at the fact that it was just a simple upgrade of memory, camera, and BlackBerry 6 support. While everyone raved about the 9780 when all it got was memory and camera upgrades. That the 9780 was a godsend while the 9570 was a pathetic upgrade. That makes no sense to me...

Am I denying that the 9550 wasn't the best BB out there? No, it has it's own issues, that very well could have been remedied with the 9570. I love my 9550, and am using it with little to no issues...

Do I wish the 9550 would have got BlackBerry 6 support? You bet! Am I mad that it didn't? No, could care less about it, it works just fine the way it is. I have a 9650 for that. Would I have liked the 9570? No, wouldn't be worth the upgrade for me, but would have been great for 9530 users.

I'm saving my upgrade for the true Storm 3 that will hopefully be coming early next year...
    I agree with the double standard. I think a lot of it has to do with the form factor. People expect touch screens to have iPhone or Android specs now.
    it is a double standard. RIM has the keyboard devices pretty much monopolized right now though. With little competition, they can release them with medicore specs and get by because most people dont have much else to compare them to. People are more accepting at a device they know is a great device are are happy with.

All that cannot be said about the storm series which needs a huge kick in the pants to get going still. People looking at touchphone specs have alot of choice out there and there is no room to introduce 2 year old hardware into the market and expect it to remain relevant. that is part of the problem you see with the Torch. It has "dated" hardware and screen res that cant compete with the tech release on most of todays phones.

its really just a different kind of crowd. If i owned a 9700 i would be miffed though too because the 9780 doesnt offer much and will have the same premium price tag on it. 256 MBs probably gives most all 9700 users room for all or most all apps and OS6 when shrank down. The camera being 5.0 over 3.2 is not a huge leap as MP really dont mean much in the world of camera, especially a cell phone camera anyway. I dont own a 9700 though so to me the 9780 doesnt mean much
    10-27-10 03:39 PM
    I agree that the Storm needs a big overhall to keep it competitive.
    Last edited by dale.elder; 10-29-10 at 04:11 PM.
    10-29-10 04:07 PM
    Theres no double standard, its called life/competition.

The Bold is what everyone thinks about when they think BB. Good keyboard phone. It isn't top of the line in specs, because it doesn't have to be. If you want a solid phone with a full keyboard, get a bold.

The Torch and Storm however, have to compete with Iphone and Android Devices.
    Which is why the storms weak upgrade, or the Torch's low resolution are scoffed at, because they are like mid range phones, for high end prices.

If Rim wants people to love them, then step your game up. Its okay to have a line of phones for people just getting a smartphone. Like the Curve and Style or Pearl. But if you are trying to compete or if you want your base to keep following you, keep making high end phones. The last phone Rim made that really wowed everyone, was the Bold 9000 with its beefy size, great keyboard, and nice resolution.

Now, Rim doesn't shine in anything, their camera is 5.0...everyone else is from 5-8 and they have HD video and this and that, or two cameras.

Resolution is okay, but others are the best.

Keyboards are good but kind of small now actually due to the larger screen size but similar phone form factor.

They really should release a NEW BOLD 9000 with memory and camera upgrades, either way, the next storm that comes out, it doesn't have to be future proof. But it should be able to compete across the board.

If it doesn't have a high resolution, half a gig of RAM, at least 5.0 MP camera, and a new OS. As in, OS6 or a special one for touch screens....then BB is seriously lagging behind.
    10-31-10 02:50 PM
    If it doesn't have a high resolution, half a gig of RAM, at least 5.0 MP camera, and a new OS. As in, OS6 or a special one for touch screens....then BB is seriously lagging behind.
    Aside from the resolution, that's exactly what the 9570 had in it and people scoffed at it.

10-31-10 11:39 PM
    I just had a thought:

There's a rumour that the Torch will be getting a QNX update. (possibly only "QNX lite")
    Following that, it could possibly be that a RIM would take the 9570, and be installing qnx on it out of the box. Since it's merely a 9750 with more RAM and MP, it wouldn't take too long to debug the hardware. And since it's QNX, they couldn't pre-release devices to developers or Verizon anyways since the OS is not done.

QNX would be downright amazing on a 9570, which has OpenGL ES and MUCH improved performance, due to QNX loading the OS and applications to the 4GB internal memory and not the 512mb RAM.

QNX will be able to run all BBOS applications through an emulator, so worst case scenario some programs for the 9550 may have to be tweaked. Then the number of apps for the 9570 can increase exponentially, due to the ease of programming for QNX.

And then RIM can position this as a midrange device like the Curve and Pearl, and the LTE Storm can be positioned as a high end device (preferably NOT with Storm branding).
    11-20-10 12:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD