02-17-14 12:47 AM
108 ... 2345
tools
    Unless BlackBerry is again experimenting what is the ideal phablet size?

I think they did this because the q5 (not q10) basically deviated from the q10, in terms of shape and size, but not screen estate. I think the company is trying to find another "ideal size", after Samsung literally smashed that "ideal size" philosophy that BlackBerry had been using (its always about the same size) but in slightly different shape profiles. Just pure speculation though, but I think there's a time when when it gets too wide and too thin, like the Sony Z ultra.

heck, for a phone like Z ultra, even if its as beefy as the original PSP-1000, I wouldn't mind, because i'm so used to that brick factor.
    12-15-13 06:49 PM
    I have a feeling BlackBerry will squeeze a larger screen into a body of the same physical dimensions as the Q10.

Look at the Nexus 5, it's a 5" screen in a body not much bigger then the Nexus 4. It can be done with good engineering.
    Two words: thinner bezels.
    If a bezel reduction like you have suggested is feasible for the Q10 this would only result in a screen of 3.26 inches. In order to make a meaningful improvement in screen size and keep a reasonable device width they need to go with a 4:3 screen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-15-13 07:29 PM
    If a bezel reduction like you have suggested is feasible for the Q10 this would only result in a screen of 3.26 inches. In order to make a meaningful improvement in screen size and keep a reasonable device width they need to go with a 4:3 screen.

althought the size gain would be minimal, the size preception would be much greater. Thiner besel would make the screen look bigger, would make the phone look so much more high tech
    12-15-13 09:58 PM
    althought the size gain would be minimal, the size preception would be much greater. Thiner besel would make the screen look bigger, would make the phone look so much more high tech
    I suppose that is true. A square design like the Q5 also makes the phone appear larger than the Q10.

If they could reduce the bezel size and increase the width to the size of a Z30 they would have a very usable device. The reason being that screen width is more important than screen length because you can use a larger font.

First and foremost they have to fix the app gap or there will not be any demand for new BlackBerry phones.

12-16-13 10:02 AM
    I suppose that is true. A square design like the Q5 also makes the phone appear larger than the Q10.

If they could reduce the bezel size and increase the width to the size of a Z30 they would have a very usable device. The reason being that screen width is more important than screen length because you can use a larger font.

First and foremost they have to fix the app gap or there will not be any demand for new BlackBerry phones.

Width is more important than length? Now, where have I heard that before

On a serious note, when the Q10 came out it was said to have a 3.2" screen yet only has a 3.1" one. Why were the dimensions quoted incorrectly?
    12-16-13 12:31 PM
    Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 04:02 AM
    If the Q10 successor will have a square screen, then it is destined to fail. It will need to have a TALLER screen to be of any significance. How much taller is up for debate.

Posted via CB Forums iOS app
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-18-13 05:31 AM
    I just want something that makes sense lol I still don't get how they jump from Z10 to Z30
    They probably left room in case they decided to bring out another smaller all-touch device.
    12-18-13 10:54 AM
    Actually a 4:3 screen with more height would be wider than the current one, you are actually asking for them to make a 3:4 display and unlike with the all-touch models the order does matter since the phone would only be used in portrait orientation.

If you think about the size of the q10 what we got with that was basically extra screen real estate over a 9900 without an increase in the size of the device due to space saved with the removal of the trackpad and call button row.

I would suspect that we will see them sticking to a square display in their next qwerty device as then you can spread the size increase across both the width and height rather than just making it top heavy. I also think that it is going to be noticeably bigger than the current ones because there is little point bumping up the screen slightly and boosting the cpu because all you will then end up with will be a device that is slightly less efficient than a q10 is now.

Phablets already make the trade-off of screen real estate versus reduced ergonomics when used as a phone and reduced usability one-handed, so why wouldn't BB try and tap into a similar kind of mindset with their next high-end qwerty too and go as wide as one them and end up with a display in the 4.2" - 4.5" range, they will still have the q5/q10 for those who need a more traditional qwerty workhorse.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    12-18-13 11:13 AM
    A square screen of 4.1 inches would be 2.9 X 2.9 inches . IMO adding basically 3/4 of an inch to the width of the Q10 would make for a really wide phone. It would be wider than a Note 3. A great typing device but not such a good phone.
    Name one phablet that is great as a phone though, a mobile device is always going to be about finding the right mix of compromises that suits you, for somebody who rarely uses the phone held up against their head then such a width would be no hardship at all.
    12-18-13 11:17 AM
    Bcuz they're stupid. Can't wait for the new physical keyboard flagship!!!

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 12:37 PM
    I don't want a phone any wider than the Q10... if they want to make the screen bigger, make it taller, not wider...
    12-18-13 04:16 PM
    I don't want a phone any wider than the Q10... if they want to make the screen bigger, make it taller, not wider...
    That would negatively impact the typing experience which for a physical qwerty BB should be considered the cardinal sin.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    12-18-13 05:12 PM
    Well if it is a phablet then yes a 4.2 to 4.5 inch screen is feasible. I am reminded of the Bluetooth keyboard that sometimes worked with the Playbook. Not really great to type on even if is bigger than a Q10. I am with Joao, I like the width of the Q10 or maybe slightly larger. I want a taller screen. I am not at all worried about balance. They use computers to design phones to achieve balance.

Having said that , if a Q30 is manufactured it will probably please few. I will predict a square screen of 3.5 inches and no trackpad.

When I say I want a taller screen, I do not expect miracles. A screen of 3.75 inches in a phone slightly wider than a Q10 would be nice.

12-19-13 01:02 AM
    I'm sure that with all the upper level departures, there's a lot of uncertainty within the ranks right now @ BlackBerry.

Having said that, has anyone with reliable sources heard when the Q30 was supposed to be released?
    12-19-13 02:41 PM
    I'm sure that with all the upper level departures, there's a lot of uncertainty within the ranks right now @ BlackBerry.

Having said that, has anyone with reliable sources heard when the Q30 was supposed to be released?
    Is the Q30 a slider based on the Z10 ?? or a really long Q10 ? May never come.

The Best Upcoming Smartphones in 2014: From the Samsung Galaxy S5 to the BlackBerry Q30 - International Business Times
    12-19-13 10:51 PM
    I wonder were the Z50 and Q30 stand now with recent Jonh Chen news with the low cost "Jakarta" device
    12-23-13 04:18 PM
    I wonder were the Z50 and Q30 stand now with recent Jonh Chen news with the low cost "Jakarta" device
    They are still on track for release in 2014. Going forward Blackberry is only going to release 4 phones:

2 - low cost from Foxconn

2 - high end phones (Q30/Z50)

I wonder will this current naming choice go away with the arrival of the 4 phones in 2014.
    12-23-13 05:27 PM
    That would negatively impact the typing experience which for a physical qwerty BB should be considered the cardinal sin.
    The only way I see the screen getting bigger for a Q series would be a slider.
    12-23-13 11:30 PM
    never mind talking all the hype about these phones.
    are the carriers/blackberry going to advertise the $hit out of it when they come out?
    if not then the masses wont know a thing about them
    seems like only the CB know
    12-25-13 10:31 PM
    The only way I see the screen getting bigger for a Q series would be a slider.
    Me too... they could make the Q a little taller and keep the keyboard, but for a 4+ inch screen, it starts to be a slider, otherwise it would become such a brick
    12-26-13 02:29 PM
    never mind talking all the hype about these phones.
    are the carriers/blackberry going to advertise the $hit out of it when they come out?
    if not then the masses wont know a thing about them
    seems like only the CB know
    Aston martin doesn't make a lot of advertisement... but hey, their cars aren't bad aren't they?
    12-26-13 02:30 PM
    Aston martin doesn't make a lot of advertisement... but hey, their cars aren't bad aren't they?
    Aston martin doesn't have a tarnished reputation as an out dated automaker.
    They also can sell for a premium and people sill gladly pay. God knows id love a vanquish lol!

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 10:47 PM
    Aston martin doesn't have a tarnished reputation as an out dated automaker.
    They also can sell for a premium and people sill gladly pay. God knows id love a vanquish lol!

Posted via CB10
    Totaly true... Blackberry has to promote their core values, values where they can diferentiate from the competition. And lets face it, Jonh Chen is doing the right thing. Blackberry core value is in security, comunication and productivity, wich screams enterprise... I love how Blackberry is now focusing again in "Productivity and Security" rather than Facebook, Netflix, angry birds, or twitter like IOS and Android do....

There are people that mostly use the phone for personal distraction and fun, and that's cool, but there should be phones for people that just want to comunicate as eficient as possible, and that's what a Blackberry should be. The same way that can't be only minivans, hatch backs or big 4 door family cars. Because each person has a different need. And that's why some people are complaining that BB10 was lacking some productivity stuff compared to OS7, some people found that cominication wasn't as effortless in a Q10 compared to a 9900, althought Blackberry is doing a great job updating BB10 to get some features lost from BBOS7
    12-26-13 11:11 PM
    Totaly true... Blackberry has to promote their core values, values where they can diferentiate from the competition. And lets face it, Jonh Chen is doing the right thing. Blackberry core value is in security, comunication and productivity, wich screams enterprise... I love how Blackberry is now focusing again in "Productivity and Security" rather than Facebook, Netflix, angry birds, or twitter like IOS and Android do....

There are people that mostly use the phone for personal distraction and fun, and that's cool, but there should be phones for people that just want to comunicate as eficient as possible, and that's what a Blackberry should be. The same way that can't be only minivans, hatch backs or big 4 door family cars. Because each person has a different need. And that's why some people are complaining that BB10 was lacking some productivity stuff compared to OS7, some people found that cominication wasn't as effortless in a Q10 compared to a 9900, althought Blackberry is doing a great job updating BB10 to get some features lost from BBOS7
    I agree with this. BlackBerry has to promote their best features and show people that they are made for being efficient and used for work. It is what BlackBerry's do best.
    I think BlackBerry should make a couple of phones that are for work and play. The others will just be for work/productivity.

Posted via CB10
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    12-28-13 05:58 PM
108 ... 2345