11-26-14 03:43 PM
29 12
tools
    Sony's new sensor could bring DSLR-like autofocus to phones

This looks simply amazing.

"The latest Exmor RS IMX230 is a so-called stacked CMOS sensor that squeezes an effective 21-megapixels into a 1/2.4-inch sized form factor. The killer feature, however, is built-in 192-point phase-detection autofocus, which will keep fast-moving subjects sharp. The new chip also has integrated HDR for high-res stills and 4K video to save shots that are overly backlit or in shadow "
    11-17-14 07:27 PM
    This would be welcome in any mobile device.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    11-17-14 07:32 PM
    Sony's new sensor could bring DSLR-like autofocus to phones

This looks simply amazing.

"The latest Exmor RS IMX230 is a so-called stacked CMOS sensor that squeezes an effective 21-megapixels into a 1/2.4-inch sized form factor. The killer feature, however, is built-in 192-point phase-detection autofocus, which will keep fast-moving subjects sharp. The new chip also has integrated HDR for high-res stills and 4K video to save shots that are overly backlit or in shadow "
    It'll either be in a BB when there's something better on the market everyone else is using, or it'll be on one of the "unconventional" devices that I won't be interested in. That's just based on my luck, lol.
    11-18-14 02:03 AM
    It would be a bit odd to have a high tech camera sensor in a device whose target audience are business users. No need for BlackBerry to erode whatever remains of their cell phone margins by including something that isn't necessary.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 06:01 PM
    It would be a bit odd to have a high tech camera sensor in a device whose target audience are business users. No need for BlackBerry to erode whatever remains of their cell phone margins by including something that isn't necessary.

Posted via CB10
    Unless they get back to profitability, then I'd like a few "fan service" phones. This is the rated G fan service of course, lol.

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-18-14 06:32 PM
    They have to eventually get a better camera. Substandard seems to be something they haven't shook yet. But they seem to be working on it . Also aren't they hiring devs or somin for that particular department. That camera seems to be the best answer for BBRY and the consumer. Pros like photos too!
    11-18-14 06:41 PM
    Nothing wrong with camera hardware on BlackBerry right now. Even if they had the best hardware it wouldn't matter without the right software

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 08:55 PM
    I would absolutely love that sensor. Is it the one used inthe Sony Z3 at the moment?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 03:58 PM
    I am on a tour right now. I was trying to take a picture of a temple with my Z10 but the peaked roof came out foggy like it was in the clouds. No such problems for the iPhones in the group. My next phone will likely be an iPhone just for the camera.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 05:08 PM
    I am on a tour right now. I was trying to take a picture of a temple with my Z10 but the peaked roof came out foggy like it was in the clouds. No such problems for the iPhones in the group. My next phone will likely be an iPhone just for the camera.

Posted via CB10
    So, you go on a tour, knowing there will be photo opportunities, and you only bring your phone to take photos? Ok, I'll be the "uncool" guy with the DSLR that will have some amazing shots that NOBODY using a phone as a camera will get. Thanks...

GreenCopperz and SlcCorrado like this.
    11-20-14 08:29 PM
    I have a real camera as well but sometimes it is not convenient for point and shoot situations. If I need a physical keyboard then the camera is not an important factor. On an all touch model, I want a good camera.

For sure the vast majority of younger consumers...they need and want a great camera for their social media.

There really is no excuse for a sub par camera. BlackBerry should farm out their camera and related software to Sony or Panasonic.

The point of my post was that not to suggest that a phone can replace a DSLR but rather that BlackBerry has to improve its cameras.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 11-20-14 at 09:18 PM.
    11-20-14 08:52 PM
    I have a real camera as well but sometimes it is not convenient for point and shoot situations. If I need a physical keyboard then the camera is not an important factor. On an all touch model, I want a good camera.

For sure the vast majority of younger consumers...they need and want a great camera for their social media.

There really is no excuse for a sub par camera. BlackBerry should farm out their camera and related software to Sony or Panasonic.

The point of my post was that not to suggest that a phone can replace a DSLR but rather that BlackBerry has to improve its cameras.

Posted via CB10
    I never made any comment about the Passport's camera, or any phone camera. I would love for my phone to have a better camera as well. Simply stating something regarding people who only bring their phones to important events or sight-seeing things that are planned. My phone camera is reserved for last-ditch-effort "didn't know I would need a camera" events...

11-20-14 09:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes exactly, I'm buying the iPhone just for the sake of having a good photos

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 08:24 AM
    I never made any comment about the Passport's camera, or any phone camera. I would love for my phone to have a better camera as well. Simply stating something regarding people who only bring their phones to important events or sight-seeing things that are planned. My phone camera is reserved for last-ditch-effort "didn't know I would need a camera" events...

The real reason that camera phones are so important is that people like to share their photos NOW.

You might be surprised at how good the phone camera has become.

http://m.connect.dpreview.com/post/5...lr-versus-film

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 08:58 AM
    The real reason that camera phones are so important is that people like to share their photos NOW.

You might be surprised at how good the phone camera has become.

http://m.connect.dpreview.com/post/5...lr-versus-film

Posted via CB10
    I know phone cameras are much better than they used to be, but if you think they in any way compare to having a DSLR, seriously, just stop trying to discuss it now, please, and no, don't tell me how many "megapixels" they have, just... stop...

And if "sharing" right away is more important than actually getting a great shot of a once-in-a-lifetime event, then that's their prerogative, I'll still be the snob that shakes my head when I see it happening...

11-21-14 09:36 AM
  16. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I think with future BlackBerry OS software releases the Passport camera could be very good.. right now it's not quite there, yet.

For many business and professionals who also use their phone for photos often, like me, camera IS important...

And yes I have Nikon D4 etc but I take most pictures with my mobile so I can understand people's comments...

I still carry my iPhone 5 just for photos!! Use the Passport for mostly everything else...

Let's hope BlackBerry can improve camera quality so it's close to top competitors....

From my world Class Passport

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 07:27 PM
    I think with future BlackBerry OS software releases the Passport camera could be very good.. right now it's not quite there, yet.

For many business and professionals who also use their phone for photos often, like me, camera IS important...

And yes I have Nikon D4 etc but I take most pictures with my mobile so I can understand people's comments...

I still carry my iPhone 5 just for photos!! Use the Passport for mostly everything else...

Let's hope BlackBerry can improve camera quality so it's close to top competitors....

From my world Class Passport

Posted via CB10
    It's fine to use your phone for photos since it's always on you, but if you're going to your daughter's graduation for crying out loud bring an actual camera, lol.

11-21-14 08:01 PM
    It's fine to use your phone for photos since it's always on you, but if you're going to your daughter's graduation for crying out loud bring an actual camera, lol.

You seem to be missing the point. The issue here is why can't BlackBerry make a phone with a great camera. You may not think that the camera is a very important component but for the majority of smart phone users the camera is a critical component.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 02:34 AM
    You seem to be missing the point. The issue here is why can't BlackBerry make a phone with a great camera. You may not think that the camera is a very important component but for the majority of smart phone users the camera is a critical component.

Posted via CB10
    WOW, please go back and read the chain of comments. I was just replying to someone's comment about going on a sight-seeing tour with only a phone camera. Never made a single remark about whether or not BB should put a better camera on their phones or not. For crying out loud, I've actually already explained this once before... smh
    11-22-14 04:32 AM
    Sorry Slagman, I do not understand what your are saying about the BlackBerry camera. The point of the thread seems to ask the question of whether or not BlackBerry needs a better camera. The quality of the camera is a requirement in the consumer market for all touch phones.
    11-22-14 05:08 AM
    Sorry Slagman, I do not understand what your are saying about the BlackBerry camera. The point of the thread seems to ask the question of whether or not BlackBerry needs a better camera. The quality of the camera is a requirement in the consumer market for all touch phones.
    But I was replying to a specific comment within the thread. Am I not allowed to do so and have to only address the OP? I didn't know that. Thanks for informing me.

Bbnivende likes this.
    11-22-14 10:15 AM
    I think you were responding to my comment that the iPhones on our trip took better pictures than my Z10. Your comment was that I should have used a camera. I do use a camera as well.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 11-22-14 at 06:46 PM.
    11-22-14 05:52 PM
    I think you were responding to my comment that the iPhones on our trip took better pictures than my Z10. Your comment was that I should have used a camera. I do use a camera as well.

Posted via CB10
    Ok, that's great. But then people assumed that meant that I didn't think there should be better cameras on BlackBerry's... Not sure how that was deduced...

11-22-14 11:27 PM
  24. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar

Posted via CB10
    This is precisely why the Bold 9900 did not pass the test in many consumers eyes... "fisher price" camera in what was otherwise an iconic and amazing phone... but for many, it was a show stopper.....

And yes, I had the bold 9900 day one it was released and loved it!!.. except for the awful camera...blackberry lost a ton of users because of this thinking... business or not... camera DOES matter!

Passport's camera is the best of any Blackberry in history.. but the software needs to correct the focusing problems... reports are that the latest not yet released OS 10.3.1 does... hope so...

From my awesome Passport

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 12:40 AM
    Passport's camera is the best of any Blackberry in history.. but the software needs to correct the focusing problems... reports are that the latest not yet released OS 10.3.1 does... hope so...
    And that's the thing sadly... the Passport camera is great, it's the software inconsistency across different OS versions that drives me bonkers. One OS could have GREAT setting but in the next OS, they've gone and fudged it up.
    11-24-14 01:23 AM
29 12