10-04-10 11:26 AM
159 12345 ...
tools
    Agreed. I guess I should have been ranting about my problem with Google maps last night instead of seeing what the problem was eh? Personally if I had a device that was completely problematic, and I have, I would have been on the phone getting one works, which I did. $10 says the refresh is going to have exactly the same "bugs" as every other device. Not saying that everyone that has problems doesn't, but RIM would have been hitting the bottom of the barrel ages ago if everyone had that many problems.
    i know it will, the 9800 is filled with problems just like every rim device has had. Now my storm 2 has been great and i havent really had that many huge things, just minor annoyances, but still after 900+ builds the OSs still have bugs.
    09-19-10 05:41 PM
    Agreed. I guess I should have been ranting about my problem with Google maps last night instead of seeing what the problem was eh? Personally if I had a device that was completely problematic, and I have, I would have been on the phone getting one works, which I did. $10 says the refresh is going to have exactly the same "bugs" as every other device. Not saying that everyone that has problems doesn't, but RIM would have been hitting the bottom of the barrel ages ago if everyone had that many problems.
    Have u seen the leaked document of the laundry-list of issues with the Samsung Fascinate?? Looks like a very nice phone (I spent some time with it at the Verizon store) but like any other smartphone it has ISSUES. The Jesus phone has issues. all droids have issues. WinMo phones have issues. name me a smartphone that doesn't (have issues).
    09-19-10 05:43 PM
    i know it will, the 9800 is filled with problems just like every rim device has had. Now my storm 2 has been great and i havent really had that many huge things, just minor annoyances, but still after 900+ builds the OSs still have bugs.
    Oh I know it's got some minor things that occasionally come up, my point was not everyone is throwing their devices at walls. Mine's nowhere near perfect, to be sure. But when I called VZW about a BIS issue and they offered a Droid replacement I said no - I like my S2 just fine. Except for web browsing.
    09-19-10 07:00 PM
    Have u seen the leaked document of the laundry-list of issues with the Samsung Fascinate?? Looks like a very nice phone (I spent some time with it at the Verizon store) but like any other smartphone it has ISSUES. The Jesus phone has issues. all droids have issues. WinMo phones have issues. name me a smartphone that doesn't (have issues).
    Even Mr Android JR Raphael was commenting on the Fascinate's fail lol
    09-19-10 07:02 PM
    I'm with you on that. While I would certainly appreciate the OS and the improved browser plus some additional memory, it's simply not enough, knowing that there is a 3 somewhere, looming on the horizon. Actually, I think this is one reason we're hearing so little about the 3, they don't want to kill sales on the Refresh! I will hold on to my 2 for a while longer, it works great....well, reasonably great!

It's hard me to justify to myself for blowing my yearly upgrade to go from a Storm 2 to S2-refresh just for a new OS and webkit and memory.
    09-19-10 07:44 PM
    Some posts here reminded me of something I heard on the radio this morning. Some "tech guru" (don't recall the name) was hypothesizing about the potential for the entire, smart phone market, to simply "fade away." He was not predicting this, but more or less saying "I would not be surprised if............" He mentioned many technologies that have come and gone, even the height of their popularity and postulated that smart phones may join the ranks.

I don't agree with this (hey, I held off on Sony Beta, 8 Tracks and other technologies, so I have a pretty good track record!) but it was an interesting hypothesis.
    09-19-10 07:48 PM
    but still after 900+ builds the OSs still have bugs.
    Again.... "is is too much to ask for a product to work, straight out of the box?"
    09-19-10 08:44 PM
    I agree that every phone has its issues. However, I was with the Storm 1 since launch and now the Storm 2 since launch. The Storm 2 has been much more polished from its release than the Storm 1. It still had its problems but they weren't as bad. Also, with .713, it's been the first time I've been on an OS without wiping/reloading for more than 2 months.

It's been pretty stable over time but there is still room for improvement.

I feel like while the Storm 2 Refresh will have its own issues, they won't be nearly as bad as the Storm 1/2 from their launch. I'm guessing it will be a pretty stable phone after some time. I'm hoping it has a faster processor than the Storm 2. That might get me to purchase it since it's lacking the HD screen and most likely won't have the 1ghz processor its droid/iphone counterparts have.
    09-19-10 09:04 PM
    Personally, I like a device with bugs. It lets me know robots aren't going to overthrow mankind any time soon.
    09-19-10 09:16 PM
    Personally, I like a device with bugs. It lets me know robots aren't going to overthrow mankind any time soon.
    LOL! Mankind has even more bugs!
    09-19-10 09:32 PM
    LOL! Mankind has even more bugs!
    True indeed lol.
    09-19-10 09:44 PM
    That's it! I’m done with RIM. I’ve been a long time (7 years) Blackberry fan and I am tired of always being disappointed by this company. As a professional, I love the devices and for the most part they take care of my e-needs. At the same time, I love the technology and enjoy keeping up with the new operating systems that are released, themes, etc… and I have been looking forward to OS6 like everyone else. Now that we S2 users are getting screwed by RIM yet again, I’m out! I left T-Mobile for Verizon so I could get an S2 and since have had to deal with horrible network coverage, and the garbage Icons Verizon pushes on us, now this? I don’t think so. It’s time for a Droid.
    09-19-10 09:55 PM
    Like said is the biggest rip off in smartphone history. I am sorry for all the people they will suck into paying 100-200 or whatever for that device and extending their contract. its like the have "sucker" written on their face when they walk in the door.
    Totally agree with this.

I had the storm 1, lived with its issues and hassles.
    Threw away my 2year renewall on the storm2 promo which was slated to be oh so much amazingly better. (was better but should of been S1 tbh).

NOT going to fall into this cycle again, more ram and OS is not worth the price.

To be honest i love my S2 and ive loved it since day 1 but im completely over it right now. Cant wait till i can upgrade again (not till 11 since i did the s1->s2 swap)

its going to be the same old story with the refresh i guarantee you that.
    09-19-10 10:53 PM
    I think I will be grabbing one next month. OS6 with webkit, 512 MB and 5MP camera is good enough for me. You can keep the rest.

I enjoy not having to have a battery charger permanently plugged into my phone.
    Yeah, me too! Tried out a BB Torch on AT&T and it is sweet. But I'm on Vzw so it's sticking with the BEST Storm available for me!
    09-20-10 06:56 AM
    How are you "getting screwed by RIM again?" That's absolutely absurd. Were you informed at the time of your purchase that your S2 would be upgradable to OS6? Has your OS had some upgrades since you purchased it? "Horrible network coverage?" Say what? VZW has what is generally acknowledged the very best coverage in the US. That does not of course mean that it will work virtually everywhere, so if your rural or remote area does not get great VZW coverage, that's a shame but no network hits every spot perfectly. I can say that in my travels across the country, VZW has excelled in coverage. Last month, some friends rented a mountain cabin for a month. Their AT&T coverage was ZERO. Mine was 3 bars. "Horrible" eh? "Garbage Icons"? A lot of carriers push apps to their customers. These are simply installation links, not the full blown app. How terrible is it, to simply create a Junk folder where you keep all of these things stored and hidden? The links take up almost zero space on your precious device, so it's not an issue of memory hogging.

You are a "7 year BB fan" and yet, this is just your second post here, spouting drivel? Sorry, but that post is beyond absurd. Go enjoy your Droid.

That's it! I’m done with RIM. I’ve been a long time (7 years) Blackberry fan and I am tired of always being disappointed by this company. As a professional, I love the devices and for the most part they take care of my e-needs. At the same time, I love the technology and enjoy keeping up with the new operating systems that are released, themes, etc… and I have been looking forward to OS6 like everyone else. Now that we S2 users are getting screwed by RIM yet again, I’m out! I left T-Mobile for Verizon so I could get an S2 and since have had to deal with horrible network coverage, and the garbage Icons Verizon pushes on us, now this? I don’t think so. It’s time for a Droid.
    09-20-10 12:36 PM
    The photo on the front page of CB this morning sure has me lusting! Bigger screen (3.7") and 8 Gig of internal memory?? Whoa....hold me back!
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 09-20-10 at 12:43 PM.
    09-20-10 12:41 PM
    No S2 refresh for me, but I will get the S3.
    09-20-10 01:25 PM
    I am disappointed with RIM on this whole mess, and feel a bit screwed, but I don't think intentionally so. S2 hasn't been out for too long and I'm sure that they were working on OS6 before they released it...but even if I'm wrong there, I think looking back through the history of firmware and software upgrades, it would be easy to see that it would have been a good idea to up it so that this problem would be avoided.

I like to think that they didn't purposely release a phone that was doomed for obsolescence so quickly, but rather disappointed that they allowed it to happen...but I could be wrong about that.

I will not be getting a refresh, I don't think that simply expanded memory is worth it without some other form of 'apologetic compensation' from either RIM or the carriers. A trade in program perhaps? Some other bonus features and upgrades?

How about a diluted version of OS 6 (or even components like the webkit browser) made available to the 128MB dumbphones?
    09-20-10 11:22 PM
    Not sure if others agree, but this release suggests RIM has little interest in the consumer market.

As for people suggesting that the iPhone3GS was as big or a bigger rip off, I think they're missing the point. The iPhone was a refresh of a phone people actually wanted, and a refresh of the consumer gold standard at that time. Apple wasn't playing catch up. They nearly needed to maintain their position as the market leader. If Apple would have released a major upgrade, they would have only been leapfrogging themselves. For BlackBerry to release this incremental upgrade, at a time when they're so far behind they're no longer visible on the radar screen, is embarrassing.

I like my S2 and was hoping for a significant consumer offering from RIM. There are things about the BB that I'll miss. However, after four consecutive BB devices, I'm going Android in October.
    09-21-10 08:20 AM
    I will probably purchase the Storm2 Refresh without using a discount or NE2 since I'm not eligible yet. After buying it, I will just list my current Storm2 on eBay and see what I get for it. It's only a few months old and is in great condition. If I can offset some of the costs, then great!

The Refresh will hold me over until a newer, better Storm is released. I really don't have many complaints now as it is, but would obviously enjoy having OS6 and the 5 megapixel camera would be a plus!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-10 12:08 PM
    so you are going to pay 500+ off contract then maybe sell your old storm 2 for 170-200.

the refresh is not worth 300
    09-21-10 12:25 PM
    so you are going to pay 500+ off contract then maybe sell your old storm 2 for 170-200.

the refresh is not worth 300
    that's not for you to say. It's not like he is using YOUR money. You probably think spending $850 for a phono cartridge is excessive too, but I spent that much, back in 1985 (for a Koetsu Rosewood) because I WANTED TO. (and, it should go without saying, because I could AFFORD it)
    09-21-10 02:13 PM
    that's not for you to say. It's not like he is using YOUR money. You probably think spending $850 for a phono cartridge is excessive too, but I spent that much, back in 1985 (for a Koetsu Rosewood) because I WANTED TO. (and, it should go without saying, because I could AFFORD it)
    do you miss the point on purpose, just to start useless debates?
    09-21-10 02:20 PM
    I interpreted the statement as his opinion. We are allowed to have opinions? I know, I know, he forgot to put IMO or IMHO, but it was pretty easy to see it. Glad you can afford frivolous items (my opinion).
    09-21-10 02:21 PM
    I interpreted the statement as his opinion. We are allowed to have opinions? I know, I know, he forgot to put IMO or IMHO, but it was pretty easy to see it. Glad you can afford frivolous items (my opinion).
    The sad part is, this is the same noobie that didn't understand the concept of the used BB market, or why anyone would pay $200 for a used Storm2, especially when he got 2 brand new Storm2s for $180

and Matt's right, Storm Refresh is not worth $300
    09-21-10 02:33 PM
159 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD