12-22-10 08:02 AM
213 ... 6789
tools
    The smoke is a BB bonfire as people line up to buy a droid. Ill be in that line come xmas if RIM fails to make some sort of anouncement about upcoming devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-10 08:14 PM
    The smoke is a BB bonfire as people line up to buy a droid. Ill be in that line come xmas if RIM fails to make some sort of anouncement about upcoming devices.
    It may not be too long now as Verizon finally announced their LTE network on TV tonight...coming December 2010. Equipment news should be close behind...maybe some leaks will start.
    11-21-10 09:28 PM
    It may not be too long now as Verizon finally announced their LTE network on TV tonight...coming December 2010. Equipment news should be close behind...maybe some leaks will start.
    Sadly, all the info that has been leaked points to Q2, nothing nearly as close as Dec. or Jan.

I was hoping VZW and RIM would release an LTE phone right off the bat... but from everyone on the 'inside' with leaks, it just doesn't look that way at all.
    11-21-10 11:32 PM
    But the release of 4G by VZW doesn't mean phones right away. There's a good chance it will just be air cards and phones might not even be available on the network until April (Q2). If that's the case, then the S3 could still be the first (or one of the first) 4G phones released by VZW. I hope the 4G phones are available on the network earlier than that tho...
    11-22-10 07:33 AM
    Broadband modems will be first since users aren't as picky about data glitches and probably won't notice if they run CDMA for a period of time during outages, updates, etc. They'll "soak" the network with modem traffic see what it will do, iron out the issues found. Then once they have the phones ready they'll release them. The first phones released may be data only LTE too and use CDMA for all the voice.
    11-22-10 07:36 AM
    I suspect the issues with the Storm 2 Refresh and the delays on the Storm 3 are related to QNX. BlackBerry likely will move to the new operating system very soon for it's smart phones. It makes sense to have the PlayBook and the new phones on the same OS. My guess is that delays for the Storm 3 involve the roll out of QNX. At least, I hope that's the plan.
    11-22-10 09:28 PM
    That's probably why its been so quiet as of late. A complete revamp of the entire line usually means a lot of work. Especially when they realized that OS6 wasn't the game changer they had hoped for

11-22-10 09:37 PM
    That's probably why its been so quiet as of late. A complete revamp of the entire line usually means a lot of work. Especially when they realized that OS6 wasn't the game changer they had hoped for

But a lot of OS 6 was really awesome.

I'm betting that OS 7 would be QNX with a jvm for legacy support and BB6's UI copied over. It may look nearly identical, but for one thing battery pulls would be a thing of the past, and you can run apps from the xGB internal memory.
    Last edited by grahamf; 11-23-10 at 12:08 AM.
    11-22-10 11:47 PM
    But a lot of OS 6 was really awesome.

I'm betting that OS 7 would be QNX with a jvm for legacy support and BB6's UI copied over. It may look nearly identical, but for one thing battery pulls would be a thing of the past, and you can run apps from the xGB internal memory.
    That would be ideal! I love the way OS6 looks....just not what's underneath it.
    11-23-10 05:05 AM
    And on a competitive level with apple and droid, OS6 has done nothing to change the stakes

11-23-10 06:11 AM
    I really hope you guys are kidding?! I'd really hope OS7 is nothing like OS6. OS6 is a horrible revamp of an OS and is completely bland and just like the old OS.
    They needs something that is gonna wow new customers and attract peoples attention and OS6 just isn't gonna do it. OS7 is hopefully gonna look like the OS on the PB where its kinda a Palm OS where u throw the apps u have away like cards. However, I'm sure they are gonna revamp it to look nicer on a phone. if it looks like OS6 I'm off to Droid and RIM will just be laughed at again. Come on guys?? For Real??

11-23-10 06:40 AM
    I really hope you guys are kidding?! I'd really hope OS7 is nothing like OS6. OS6 is a horrible revamp of an OS and is completely bland and just like the old OS.
    They needs something that is gonna wow new customers and attract peoples attention and OS6 just isn't gonna do it. OS7 is hopefully gonna look like the OS on the PB where its kinda a Palm OS where u throw the apps u have away like cards. However, I'm sure they are gonna revamp it to look nicer on a phone. if it looks like OS6 I'm off to Droid and RIM will just be laughed at again. Come on guys?? For Real??

What exactly is wrong with OS 6 that isn't caused by it's legacy code?

Rim could create yet another brand new OS for OS 7, but it would take much longer and would have features missing then if they copied over the OS6 GUI and made it a little bit fancier (and RIM- pleas don't make it a yet another fancy/useless OS. just work on consistency)

Also:
    "OS6 is a horrible revamp of an OS and is completely bland and just like the old OS."

Uh, no. You're just biased.
    Last edited by grahamf; 11-23-10 at 08:40 AM.
    11-23-10 08:37 AM
    Graham, how in anyway am I biased here??
    What device do you have that is running OS6 that makes you think its so great?
    11-23-10 09:03 AM
    I suspect the issues with the Storm 2 Refresh and the delays on the Storm 3 are related to QNX. BlackBerry likely will move to the new operating system very soon for it's smart phones. It makes sense to have the PlayBook and the new phones on the same OS. My guess is that delays for the Storm 3 involve the roll out of QNX. At least, I hope that's the plan.
    I would suspect that the next blackberries will not be qnx-based, but instead will be running a newer version of os6 on hardware that catches up to their rivals in both spec and looks and will get an upgrade to qnx layer that year.
    11-23-10 09:14 AM
    Graham, how in anyway am I biased here??
    What device do you have that is running OS6 that makes you think its so great?
    You're biased in saying that OS 6 is the same thing as OS 4

Pearl 9100.
    Easy access to connections and options
    dropdown notifications pane
    instant search
    WebKit
    camera configurations
    Social Feeds
    tabbed browsing
    Last edited by grahamf; 11-23-10 at 09:27 AM.
    11-23-10 09:24 AM
    You're biased is saying that OS 6 is the same thing as OS 4

Pearl 9100.
    Easy access to connections and option
    instant search
    WebKit
    In terms of look it is, just cause they brushed up the icons doesn't make it different. Now instead of seeing the icons automatically being there, you gotta click on the toolbar(All, fav, download,etc) and it pops up, big difference.
    There's no doubt webkit is the best thing in OS6 but that's an upgrade to the OS that was heavily needed. IMO, I'm just not too impressed with OS6, my feeling is still that besides looking the same, there's wasn't enough upgrades intergrated into the OS. Sorry universal search was good too. Granted with all mobile OS's your gonna have your need for the icon main homescreen and not much can be done to that part. However, things like social feeds could've been done better, widgets, voice search and texting, wireless sync. I can't think of them all because really a development team at RIM should be thinking of new features that are useful to the end user and give the RIM OS advantages over say Droid, iOS, or W7.
    Those are things that should be holding QNX up right now. Cause if it's only just a revamp of the kernel with the same face and we are waiting till May for it, thats even more pathetic on their part. Also, my main point here is that I still don't see OS6 drawing new customers to RIM. So for QNX OS to look like OS6 IMO is a fail.
    11-23-10 09:51 AM
    In terms of look it is, just cause they brushed up the icons doesn't make it different. Now instead of seeing the icons automatically being there, you gotta click on the toolbar(All, fav, download,etc) and it pops up, big difference.
    There's no doubt webkit is the best thing in OS6 but that's an upgrade to the OS that was heavily needed. IMO, I'm just not too impressed with OS6, my feeling is still that besides looking the same, there's wasn't enough upgrades intergrated into the OS. Sorry universal search was good too. Granted with all mobile OS's your gonna have your need for the icon main homescreen and not much can be done to that part. However, things like social feeds could've been done better, widgets, voice search and texting, wireless sync. I can't think of them all because really a development team at RIM should be thinking of new features that are useful to the end user and give the RIM OS advantages over say Droid, iOS, or W7.
    Those are things that should be holding QNX up right now. Cause if it's only just a revamp of the kernel with the same face and we are waiting till May for it, thats even more pathetic on their part. Also, my main point here is that I still don't see OS6 drawing new customers to RIM. So for QNX OS to look like OS6 IMO is a fail.
    I agree with you. OS6 is still dull, however it was nice to switch to it from OS5. But after a couple months of using OS6, it has gotten pretty boring and feels more and more like OS5. Definitely no where near Android or iOS in terms of being fun to use.
    11-23-10 11:06 AM
    I agree with you. OS6 is still dull, however it was nice to switch to it from OS5. But after a couple months of using OS6, it has gotten pretty boring and feels more and more like OS5. Definitely no where near Android or iOS in terms of being fun to use.
    Thank you for seeing my point here. My gf just got the 9650 and I put the leaked OS6 on it right away. Therefore going from the old school Curve with no OS5 to the 9650 she never even used OS5. I asked her the other day how she liked her new phone and her response was,"What do you mean, its the samething?" I tried to explain to her how I put the new OS6 on her phone and what the differences were. She told me," well since I haven't really used the Internet on it too much, I haven't noticed what ur talking about"
    My point here is that she is someone that could give a crap about different OS's or phones or anything myself or most CB members care about. So if she doesn't see a difference then how is the new OS6 attracting new users from the general consumer base that isn't gonna see it either? On the other end myself and people interested in stuff like that do notice more of the differences but those differences are few and far between compared to other new OS's out there.

11-23-10 12:09 PM
    Yea after running it on my bold all it is just a facelift

11-23-10 01:22 PM
    Yep, my ex wondered the same thing about Windows 7. Then she got a surprise when she tried working on Linux with compiz, and its good stuff enabled. She knew something was different alright, because I was going full CLI, and compiling a program, . Shouldn't stand the sight of that, ha ha.
    11-23-10 01:26 PM
    camera configurations
    Social Feeds
    tabbed browsing
    Come on grahamf what else you got? It seems to me like your really reaching here.I mean come on?? Camera configuration?? That's a huge upgrade on OS6 thats gonna attract new customers and get them excited about a new OS?? Sweet, let me run out and grab the new Pearl cause I want a better camera config.
    Tabbed browsing is part of web kit and as I've said that was a great upgrade but again it was also heavily needed just to complete on the same playing level as other smartphone OS's
    Social feeds while nice, was also a weak attempt at upgrading the OS. All it does is compile all the info in one spot, then transfers you to the app if you wanna respond or repost something. However, I'll give you this one since it wasn't on OS5 or 4 and it may be something people would like, but it needs to be intergrated more to really make it better.
    Instead of giving us social feeds thou, why not give us the ability to have widgets like these other OS have? Again so RIM can just get to where the playing field is level with these other OS's that are beating them right now. But no RIM doesn't wanna do this instead they wanna revamp an old dying OS over and over again and keep thinking it's gonna work because it's "familiar" I think Lazaradis said.
    Well OS7 better not be familiar to me!! I want new and exciting, in terms of look and features. Pretty much the same thing that W7 did. Maybe then I'll be satisfied
    11-23-10 03:27 PM
    I'm just saying that BB6 has improvements that to me are night and day.

And OF COURSE it should feel similar to OS 4/5. Do you honestly expect RIM to slap something radically different, like WebOS or Android, into the devices and force all of us to re-learn how to use a BlackBerry?

RIM's goal is to bring the UI up to date. Not to completely change the definition of a BlackBerry.
    11-23-10 04:29 PM
    BB6 did 2 big things. 1) webkit engine. 2) touch friendly UI. Since under the hood it is OS5 you cant expect too much. They didn't even in utilize the webkit engine for email which is pretty pathetic.

Hopefully QNX keeps what's worked in the BB6 UI but since everything under the hood is new it will be a whole new animal. I think since it is being built by QNX engineers and not BB engineers it has a chance of doing that.

We'll see....

11-23-10 07:46 PM
    I'm really thinkn Lazaridis is gonna announce the S3 on Dec 6-7th, I gotta a feeling Will i am told me so.....
    11-23-10 08:07 PM
    Hi,

With Playbook and his capabilites they have shown what is actually possible
    from their side.

Cause of that, I only hope, for RIM`s sake, that the next Storm will come with 1Ghz proc and QNX platform. Other than that would be a major dissapointment.
    12-15-10 07:12 AM
213 ... 6789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD