12-22-10 08:02 AM
213 ... 56789
tools
    The codenames don't always leak, so you can't be sure any kind of timeline based on this rumour.
    11-09-10 06:48 AM
    Well if you look at the style it wasn't too long before we knew it was called the oxford before it released, I'm just saying

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-10 09:53 AM
    I'm hoping that since now we know a codename that we will start seeing more leaked info for it.
    However, like Skeevecr said, really this isn't promising anything from a release standpoint. Cause there were codenames for devices in the past that never saw the light of day or didn't come out for a very long time. So lets just hope that doesn't happen
    I think it's just good to hear new codenames in general cause as Kevin discussed before, we were seeing a lull in what RIM was developing going forward. Althou, the S3 isn't anything new in terms of new device development and neither is the Montana/Dakota/Magnum. There is people that have been wondering if this device was dead or what was going on with it. So it's good to hear new info about it, I think it would be a cool device.
    11-09-10 03:53 PM
    When I worked for Verizon (7 years ago) we found out about and got trained on the latest/greatest phone being released one week before it launched. People on this site usually have better insight than we did as employees of VZW.

So, unless this mysterious phone is launched next week, forget everything she said... at least from my experience working there. Of course, things may have changed since then (like the NE2 policy bighap pointed out).
    11-09-10 04:07 PM
    Anyone notice the latest poll in Beta zone? Its asking which device would you most like to are the next release of and the storm has a commanding lead. Of course that could be because we have seen a new Bold and new Curve just released and the storm is overdue. But its good to are a poll on RIM's beta zone capturing that.

11-09-10 04:09 PM
    RIM To Move Ahead With QNX OS7 For Storm3? | GizmoFusion

Still find some of this story hard to believe timeframe-wise. I don't think there is anyway they just started over after the scrapped the 9570. Althou the article doesn't say that persay, I feel like it's almost still saying the device is in a VERY early stage and I just hope that's not the case.
    11-10-10 01:44 PM
    seems too good to be true but if it were true, it would be a huge oddball in RIMs developement cycle. We have a 9780 that is just coming out now, and despite it being a gorgeous form factor and keyboard as always, its got a tiny bump up in hardware as RIM is used to. TO have a new storm 3 that is a "miles apart" upgrade compared to any other blackberry would make it an oddball device since they would be bypassing the "refresh" only in this case, but not in the case of the Bold or the Pearl or the Torch or even the Style

the only way I would believe this was if all RIMs devices were to be getting upgrades to QNX (or os7) and major hardware advances across the board. But until I hear that its happening for all devices, I cant sit here and believe that ONLY 1 model will be superb while the others stay with OS6 and 512mb ram

Remember, OS6 hasnt even rolled out yet! And to now talk about a device with os7???? This all doesnt make sense unless.......

RIM seriously admits reinventing itself from the bottom up. That would be the only way to justify such a change. And they would have to say that the Storm 3 would be the start of things to come. That move alone may hurt sales of other devices like the torch or the style.... or even the new Bold and the Pearl 3g. So my hunch is that if this were true, they would wait a good while to sell off a bunch of these units before opening the Door to a QNX powerhouse Storm 3. Maybe summer of 2011?

Unfortunately, these are the tough decisions a company has to do when they fall behind so far like RIM has done over the past 2 years
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 11-11-10 at 12:29 PM.
    11-11-10 12:11 PM
    seems too good to be true but if it were true, it would be a huge oddball in RIMs developement cycle. We have a 9780 that is just coming out now, and despite it being a gorgeous form factor and keyboard as always, its got a tiny bump up in hardware as RIM is used to. TO have a new storm 3 that is a "miles apart" upgrade compared to any other blackberry would make it an oddball device since they would be bypassing the "refresh" only in this case, but not in the case of the Bold or the Pearl or the Torch or even the Style

the only way I would believe this was if all RIMs devices were to be getting upgrades to QNX (or os7) and major hardware advances across the board. But until I hear that its happening for all devices, I cant sit here and believe that ONLY 1 model will be superb while the others stay with OS6 and 512mb ram

Remember, OS6 hasnt even rolled out yet! And to now talk about a device with os7???? This all doesnt make sense unless.......

RIM seriously admits reinventing itself from the bottom up. That would be the only way to justify such a change. And they would have to say that the Storm 3 would be the start of things to come. That move alone may hurt sales of other devices like the torch or the style.... or even the new Bold and the Pearl 3g. So my hunch is that if this were true, they would wait a good while to sell off a bunch of these units before opening the Door to a QNX powerhouse Storm 3. Maybe summer of 2011?

Unfortunately, these are the tough decisions a company has to do when they fall behind so far like RIM has done over the past 2 years

I agree with u. I don't see this Storm coming out soon. With OS6 just coming out im sure they have other devices in the pipeline with OS6 on them. Summer 2011 sounds right

Personally I'm wondering which phone will have that Marvell 628 chip in it. CX said second quarter of 2011 at the latest and i honestly can't see any OS6 device using such an advanced processor, and with it being known that QNX is perfect to take advantage of that kind of processing power....Im praying that the next Storm device will be packing all this power.

The waiting is really getting tiring though.
    11-11-10 06:17 PM
    Its been said that os6 was just a place holder while the new os was being worked on. There are rumors of 2 new phones, not just the storm 3. It has also been said that next year is the year for new hardware. I dont understand why you guys think they have to release more phones with os6 first. It is a little new and a little better, but the os that will sell the new generation is the qnx os so thats what they will want on the phones asap. I'm sure they will release the storm 3 when it is ready. I think it will be second quarter, just like cx posted awhile back.
    11-11-10 07:05 PM

I really don't see this as such a huge oddball in RIMs development cycle. It's been said before and it's true that the original Storm was the first BB to come out with OS5. While 4.7, I think, was the new OS at the time on other devices. Also we didn't see OS5 on those other devices for awhile.

OS7 we know was developed for specifically a touchscreen device like the Playbook and the S3. So in turn that's why your seeing these refreshes of the Bold, Curve, Pearl and whatever else, since OS6 works on them. Also we don't know of any new form factor qwerty physical devices coming down the line, so why not just refresh our current devices to handle the new OS we have right now in OS6. For all we know, RIM could stay with OS6 on all their physical qwerty's for sometime and then just have OS7 for their touchscreen phones like the Monaco and Montana. They may only just be worried about the connectivity to the PB and since anything about 5 will be compatable and OS7 is probably the same OS that's on the PB then they are good for awhile.

The other thing is that the market is changing quicker and quicker daily, with mostly crazy spec'd out Droid phones coming to the market almost every other month. Therefore in order for RIM to keep up they are gonna need to make a huge leap sometime. Since they are doing it with the Playbook right now, then why not do it with the S3.

I'm just saying I don't see this as being all too crazy for them as a company.
    There are plenty of people in the market that don't like touchscreen phones. So your always gonna have your customers that stay with a physical keyboard phone. I would also say that people who want a physical keyboard aren't too worried about games and bells and whistles that these devices don't really handle well. So to keep OS6 on these phones, that really isn't a gaming platform, I don't believe is gonna hurt the sales of these other devices that are coming out as refreshes now. If people want a physical keyboard they are just gonna have to be stuck with OS6 for a lil while but if they want to play games and want a flashy touchscreen to compete with the iPhone, Droids and Windows 7 they will have the S3.

It all kinda makes sense to me
    11-11-10 08:38 PM
    I was under the impression that RIM just may position BB7 compatible devices as high-end, then have BB6 as lower end devices (and most likely by the time there's a BB7 compatible Bold out, the 9780 will be ready for a refresh)
    11-11-10 11:07 PM
    I really don't see this as such a huge oddball in RIMs development cycle. It's been said before and it's true that the original Storm was the first BB to come out with OS5. While 4.7, I think, was the new OS at the time on other devices. Also we didn't see OS5 on those other devices for awhile.

OS7 we know was developed for specifically a touchscreen device like the Playbook and the S3. So in turn that's why your seeing these refreshes of the Bold, Curve, Pearl and whatever else, since OS6 works on them. Also we don't know of any new form factor qwerty physical devices coming down the line, so why not just refresh our current devices to handle the new OS we have right now in OS6. For all we know, RIM could stay with OS6 on all their physical qwerty's for sometime and then just have OS7 for their touchscreen phones like the Monaco and Montana. They may only just be worried about the connectivity to the PB and since anything about 5 will be compatable and OS7 is probably the same OS that's on the PB then they are good for awhile.

The other thing is that the market is changing quicker and quicker daily, with mostly crazy spec'd out Droid phones coming to the market almost every other month. Therefore in order for RIM to keep up they are gonna need to make a huge leap sometime. Since they are doing it with the Playbook right now, then why not do it with the S3.

I'm just saying I don't see this as being all too crazy for them as a company.
    There are plenty of people in the market that don't like touchscreen phones. So your always gonna have your customers that stay with a physical keyboard phone. I would also say that people who want a physical keyboard aren't too worried about games and bells and whistles that these devices don't really handle well. So to keep OS6 on these phones, that really isn't a gaming platform, I don't believe is gonna hurt the sales of these other devices that are coming out as refreshes now. If people want a physical keyboard they are just gonna have to be stuck with OS6 for a lil while but if they want to play games and want a flashy touchscreen to compete with the iPhone, Droids and Windows 7 they will have the S3.

It all kinda makes sense to me
    its not that OS7 isn't plausable for a Storm 3, its the hardware in the rumor that is hard to swallow. Unless the entire BB line was getting new hardware overall, I wouldnt put much faith in this rumor. I find it hard to believe that only 1 style of BB will get super specs while new devices like the torch, the style, and now the bold 9780 all have only the modist of upgrades that dont even come close to the specs that this rumor states
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 11-11-10 at 11:38 PM.
    11-11-10 11:33 PM
    if this rumor was true, RIM would be killing their entire BB lineup as it is right now.....

which tells me that its either not true or is true but coming much much later than we would hope in order for RIM to get the most sales out of the current "new" devices
    11-11-10 11:41 PM
    Relative to Motorola and Samsung and their use of the Android OS, RIM is moving awfully slowly. As much as I like their stuff, if they don't step it up, they will wake up one day to find they have lost too much market share to compete and they will get bought by another bigger company.

My advice would be to take a phone like the Torch, throw a faster processor in it and concurrently work with Google to adapt an Android OS for use with RIM phones. The RIM brand is still the most desired by business users, but they would benefit from a MUCH "smoother" and flexible OS IMO.........
    11-13-10 02:03 PM
    Relative to Motorola and Samsung and their use of the Android OS, RIM is moving awfully slowly. As much as I like their stuff, if they don't step it up, they will wake up one day to find they have lost too much market share to compete and they will get bought by another bigger company.

My advice would be to take a phone like the Torch, throw a faster processor in it and concurrently work with Google to adapt an Android OS for use with RIM phones. The RIM brand is still the most desired by business users, but they would benefit from a MUCH "smoother" and flexible OS IMO.........
    RIM is already moving to QNX. They are moving slowly in that they are 12 to 18 months behind everyone but they did implement webkit, even if only officially on 2 devices, and they do have a promising new OS on the way. Of they deliver a new Storm and new Torch with curent hardware and solid new OS by end of Q2 2011 then all will be good.

11-14-10 07:56 AM
    Q2 2011 is too late if you ask me. They need to have already reinvented the Storm 3 device that Sal once spoke about from the day the Storm 2 came out and have it ready for the holidays. Anything too far after that will just show incompitence on the part of RIM innovators
    11-14-10 11:18 AM
    Q2 2011 is too late if you ask me. They need to have already reinvented the Storm 3 device that Sal once spoke about from the day the Storm 2 came out and have it ready for the holidays. Anything too far after that will just show incompitence on the part of RIM innovators
    Totally agree. My S2 is killing me and I have nowhere to go. (with a blackberry that is).

Would have loved a torch type phone to hold me over until the real s3 came out on vzw.
    11-14-10 12:59 PM
    Yeah I agree with you... By Q2 2011, the damage will be done. There will be many potential customers that have gone to something else by then... And they are VERY expensive to get back.

RIM seems to be moving very slowly in an industry where urgency is everything. I love their stuff, but I'm not impressed with their management of the company. Their strategic planning could use major retuning...... IMO
    11-14-10 01:38 PM
    RIM's slow pace is costing them tons of potential sales in an exploding market. Sure they are growing, but they only got 10% of the total growth in the smartphone segment from this time last year. When your trying to sell phones like the Torch and Bold for the same price someone can get a iPhone or a Galaxy phone, your not going to get much of the consumer share of that growth because they don't care about BIS/BES and security. And Androids growth isn't rocket science, they do basically what the iPhone does (tons of apps, great web experience) and they are available on all carriers. All RIM needs to do is come out with a phone like this aimed at consumer segment that when sitting side by side with a Galaxy or iPhone, Joe Public coming off the street for his first smartphone picks it up and gives it some serious consideration.
    11-14-10 06:06 PM
    I think their market stategies up until now have already proven this...what more proof do we need?
    11-14-10 08:38 PM
    Exactly and if we don't get any new info, how many people are really going to wait past the holidays when they've already had their phone for 2 years???
    11-15-10 02:20 PM
    That's why I just got a torch to hold me over. If S3 comes out tomorrow I will buy it immediately.

11-16-10 04:20 AM
    So you have AT&T and VZW?

11-16-10 04:30 AM
    Exactly and if we don't get any new info, how many people are really going to wait past the holidays when they've already had their phone for 2 years???
    Not many. I have been waiting...for RIM to get their act together. My contract is up next week and I will either go to Sprint for the EVO4G, AT&T for the iPhone4 or (if VZW releases any hard data) wait for the HTC Incredible HD that is due in the next month or so. I am so sick of RIM right now. Look at the iPhone4 and EVO4G - both phones have been out for half a year - and I seriously doubt that at the rate RIM has been innovating that the Storm3 will surpass either of those phones for features, speed, smoothness, screen resolution or size.

RIM and VZW have totally dropped the ball with Storm buyers. Even if the Storm3 hits in Dec/Jan (very unlikely) it needs to be significantly better than the iPhone4 and EVO4G or it will fail - because both of those are half way through their lifecycle...and will surely have an exponential improvements in speed and features.
    11-16-10 04:49 PM
    For a Storm 3 to come out 2Q 2011, thats like saying that RIM dismissed everything up until recently and is going back to basics way too late in the game. And in this market, you snooze you lose.

Although, I'm pretty sure that their market research also suggest that cell phone buyers are also very impulsive and tend to move to the next greatest thing fairly quickly. Iphone lovers proved that theory true over and over again. RIM might be banking on this theory going forward.
    11-21-10 04:09 PM
213 ... 56789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD