12-22-10 09:02 AM
213 ... 34567 ...
tools
    The S3 isn't even out yet and it's been declared a POS by this community. What a bunch of lonely losers. The S4 won't be good enough and when it's about to be released they'll be talking about how the S5 better damn sure be the be all and end all, which of course it won't be in their eye! Geesus!

Love my S2 with the latest Lyricidal Hybrid!
    08-23-10 07:50 AM
    The S3 isn't even out yet and it's been declared a POS by this community. What a bunch of lonely losers. The S4 won't be good enough and when it's about to be released they'll be talking about how the S5 better damn sure be the be all and end all, which of course it won't be in their eye! Geesus!

Based on what we know of the S3 - it is safe to assume it is launching in one of the most competitive smart phone environments with technology that is behind the current players. The screen resolution is one of the worst in the class, the processor is one of the slowest, the screen size is now on the small side and if it launches with anything less that 6.0 - it will be universally dumped on by all the reviews/critics.

The S1 was rushed to market and should have been along the lines of the S2. The S3 would have been a truly competitive phone last October when it released.

Right now what Rim needs is something larger than the S2 screen, with higher resolution and some class exclusive features - besides a click screen. If the iPhone4 comes to verizon in January - RIM will be relagated to being a low end email machine at the verizon stores. Android and the iPhone will take the higher end spot on the shelf.
    08-23-10 09:04 AM
    This is Absolutley Correct to the T!!!
    I've had my S1 for going on 2 years when the S2.5 will be released. I'm almost forced to get this S2.5 piece of crap cause I've waiting so long with my S1 hoping for something really nice. However, like usual, RIM just always under delivers with some minor upgrades to a phone. I'm beginning to even have doubts that the S3 will be any good since they've been working on it for so long, actually I'm positive this will happen.
    I mean by the time the S3 is released with a 1ghz processor, Droids will be most likely at 2ghz running laps around RIM and their hurting @$$ phones. Also if RIM continues to run apps off the Flash memory with the S3 then it's still going to be a weak upgrade. Like it or not the Storm is their consumer phone that obvioulsy competes against the iPHone and Droids, so it needs to have gaming capabilities and screen res like these phones to have a Wow factor for the consumer market. RIM can sit back in their biz nitch and say that running apps off the Flash memory is fine, but they are jack@$$'s for thinking that if they EVER wanna compete in the ring with the iPHone or Droid. My 2 cents...
    The only thing that may hold me out for the S3 is the new OS. Cause what I believe is gonna happen is the Blackpad will come out at the end of this year. The Blackpad is suppose to be running a new OS based off the new QNX kernel. If this new OS is a success and looks good, then I'm feeling that this will be the OS that will be ported to the S3. Making the Blackpad and hopefully and finally the Storm series a success. Keeping hope alive...
    Oh Matty..."Hope springs eternal!" I am right there with you, but Rim's track record does not bod well for our hopes and dreams. They seem to resist the need to put in a faster processor and more memory for some unknown reason. I really wish RIM would have an answer forum here at CB; where we can ask and receive answers.
    08-23-10 09:22 AM
    Based on what we know of the S3 - it is safe to assume it is launching in one of the most competitive smart phone environments with technology that is behind the current players. The screen resolution is one of the worst in the class, the processor is one of the slowest, the screen size is now on the small side and if it launches with anything less that 6.0 - it will be universally dumped on by all the reviews/critics.

The S1 was rushed to market and should have been along the lines of the S2. The S3 would have been a truly competitive phone last October when it released.

Right now what Rim needs is something larger than the S2 screen, with higher resolution and some class exclusive features - besides a click screen. If the iPhone4 comes to verizon in January - RIM will be relagated to being a low end email machine at the verizon stores. Android and the iPhone will take the higher end spot on the shelf.
    well said 200. After reading chase's input I was going to say the same thing.

I must first mention that i like my storm 2 also. It does pretty much everything i want EFFECTIVELY. In fact must of us Storm 2 users would agree on that, that the storm 2 is EFFECTIVE.

What we (all techno savy users) also desire is for our user experience to be EFFICIENT. Does the storm do everything we (storm users) desire efficiently? - NO.

As 200 mention they (RIM) are always behind. While other smartphones manufactures and developers are putting setting the new standards in their offerings (processors, screen tech, UI, and etc..) RIM seems to debute with what they (competition) came out a year ago.

Why have we "declared" the new storm 2.5/3 "POS", because based on the slide that was leaked detailing its upgrades it just brings the new storm to where everyone else was yesterday.

Now RIM is closing the gap faster. I will give them that.

If people have read the posts we want the webkit the most i think. Why? Cuz the current storm/BB browser doesnt cut it, but most everything is good.

We want efficiency.
    08-23-10 03:15 PM
    Why have we "declared" the new storm 2.5/3 "POS", because based on the slide that was leaked detailing its upgrades it just brings the new storm to where everyone else was yesterday.
    Now...it would be cool if the real S3 was much better than that leaked slide. Imagine if the leaked slide was a hoax. That the real S3 will be a fully capacitive 3.7"-4" touch screen high resolution display with a 1.2 Ghz chip that is LTE ready for next spring.

Now that would impress and I would buy one on release day.

Sadly I fear the leaked slide is the real deal and they are simply catching up to phones that were released earlier...much earlier in 2010.
    08-23-10 05:04 PM

I don't think so. More likely those "lonely losers" will have become "delighted Droid X" users by then and won't care about about S3, S4, or S5.

By the time S5 is out (if Storm is still around by then) I'll be using my new Droid XX.
    08-24-10 11:42 AM
    Now...it would be cool if the real S3 was much better than that leaked slide. Imagine if the leaked slide was a hoax. That the real S3 will be a fully capacitive 3.7"-4" touch screen high resolution display with a 1.2 Ghz chip that is LTE ready for next spring.

Now that would impress and I would buy one on release day.

Sadly I fear the leaked slide is the real deal and they are simply catching up to phones that were released earlier...much earlier in 2010.
    I think RIM spent all their time & money on the Torch. The Storm is on the back burner.

Rim has too many phones and can never keep up with technology on all of them at once, so half of their phones are always going to be lagging behind.
    08-24-10 11:55 AM
    As I've said before I really think the LTE launch with Verizon could be used as an advantage for RIM, unfortunately it seems, as usual, they won't take advantage of it.
    If they pulled the S2.5 back and instead released the REAL S3( spec-wise that Sal spoke about) with maybe a 4 inch screen, new input mech, faster processor and better memory management for apps, and the LTE chip in it, then maybe they could start being competitive again. The reason I say this is because then Verizon customers would already have a 4G AND 3G compatable device in there hands before the new year and before the whole LTE network is launched. This way the S3 would be backward compatable with the 3G current network and when the 4G network completely launches customer would already have a phone sitting in their hand to take advantage of the new network. Doesn't both companies win in this situation, what am I missing???
    I mean if they are rushing to get this Blackpad out the gate by the end of the year and the S3's new OS will be ported from this device(I understand what I just said isn't fact it's just an assumption made by me) then shouldn't the S3 be pretty far in the development stage that they could release it by this Xmas season? The S3 we know has been in development for years now anyway knowing RIM. I guess the real problem is they can never get anything right with a new device and new OS at launch.
    Ah forget this idea......
    08-24-10 12:15 PM
    I think RIM spent all their time & money on the Torch. The Storm is on the back burner.

Rim has too many phones and can never keep up with technology on all of them at once, so half of their phones are always going to be lagging behind.
    Agreed. That is the advantage that Apple has - they can concentrate their R&D into one device. Helps with the marketing costs as well.

It is sad to see the Storm move to the back burner because while I love the blackberry platform, I hate physical keyboards and sliders. I want touch only.
    08-24-10 03:04 PM
    Apple's advantage also comes from having over $45 billion in cash reserves. That kind of money allows you to do quite a bit.

As for RIM, a good point was made that they just have too many phones. At most they need one flip, (maybe?) one keyboarded, one keyboarded/touch, and one touchscreen. After having had my DX for almost a month I can safely say I will NEVER go back to a keyboarded phone. Swype and its ilk (once you get used to them) are just too good to think about going back to a "microscopic" keyboard... especially if you have thick fingers. I am much quicker and more accurate in my typing on my DX than I EVER was on my 8830 or Storm.

There was a day when companies believed in making quality, future proofed equipment. Then came along "planned obsolescence" and any "normal" notion of quality went out the window for the sake of a few cents profit. Future proofing of electronics went out the window when they started (1) soldering the CPU's into the motherboard and/or (2) changing the CPU interface with each generation of CPU. Admittedly, with this last, it is more difficult as the equipment shrink (tablets/smartphones), but the concept is what I'm referring to.

Technically, RIM COULD put out a phone with the latest and greatest hardware. All they have to do it go out to an OEM manufacturer and tell them what features/rough look they would like the phone to have and leave it up to them to design (iteratively) and then produce. That is essentially what Apple has done.

Anyway, I hope that the S4 will be worthwhile. IMO, the S3 is a sucker bet for businesses who have people with the S1 who can't stand it anymore, but want a touchscreen and can't leave BB for business reasons.

More than anything that is what ticks me off about RIM. I DO think they have a lot of great features/capabilities. They can easily produce better hardware AND make money off of it (if Moto and Samsung can, they can). However, they are so moribund/hide bound that they don't see how far behind they are falling...

Scott

"Businesses are (generally) successful IN SPITE OF, NOT because of their management." -- Scott Surbrook (circa ~1995)
    08-24-10 03:40 PM
    Salomandrin has been very silent on the Storm3. You would think that if the phone is due in two months (or less) that he would have some more advance info available. The lack of leaks makes me think that either RIM or Verizon doesn't think it is ready for prime time. Either release it now so you can get the latest touch screen BB out - or delay it with the purposes of adding a high resolution screen and LTE.
    08-24-10 04:45 PM
    whats the point of having the cash on hand they should pay a dividen micrsoft has had that cash on hand for ever they havent done anything with it neither has apple. if rim kept 5 or 10 billion cash on hand they would of gotten bought out by now they would have been to easy of a target
    08-24-10 05:22 PM
    Salomandrin has been very silent on the Storm3. You would think that if the phone is due in two months (or less) that he would have some more advance info available. The lack of leaks makes me think that either RIM or Verizon doesn't think it is ready for prime time. Either release it now so you can get the latest touch screen BB out - or delay it with the purposes of adding a high resolution screen and LTE.
    I think you're right, this close and NOTHING? it's looking more and more like Droid X for a year or two. I wouldn't buy the first year Verizon iPhone, I have a feeling it will be full of bugs.
    08-25-10 03:07 PM
    I think you're right, this close and NOTHING? it's looking more and more like Droid X for a year or two. I wouldn't buy the first year Verizon iPhone, I have a feeling it will be full of bugs.
    Remember they only need to redesign the radio portion of the phone.
    That runs on the baseband processor.
    08-25-10 03:36 PM
    You dive in first and let me know how it is.

I took the dive on the S1. This time around I'm holding back a few months.
    08-25-10 04:29 PM
    Just the radio portion, and the antenna, and the shatter prone glass and of course without the AT&T exclusive subsidy...it could cost more...a lot more.

I think the iPhone to hold out for is the iPhone4G which will probably hit next summer while Verizon has the CDMA iPhone4.
    08-25-10 04:48 PM
    Verizon will NOT be carrying the Storm refresh - Looks like Verizon just made my choice for me, Droid it is.
    10-04-10 12:01 PM
    Verizon will NOT be carrying the Storm refresh - Looks like Verizon just made my choice for me, Droid it is.
    We have known this for several days now. Move along.
    10-04-10 12:23 PM
    No one knew about the playbook (specifics) until its announcement. If that big of a collaborative project can be kept silent an exclusively internal phone can be kept sealed up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-10 02:56 PM
    No one knew about the playbook (specifics) until its announcement. If that big of a collaborative project can be kept silent an exclusively internal phone can be kept sealed up.

This ^

Plus we've seen leaked shots of the true next-gen Storm with the larger screen and all. I'm patiently waiting a few months on my 9550 to see what's up.
    10-05-10 01:24 AM
    I just wish we knew more. I am available for upgrade in like 2 weeks. Don't really want to end up on tiered data and don't want to wait for something I know nothing about. RIM hasn't exactly wowed me with their offrings lately. But I do love the BES integration with my work email and I will miss SureType and SurePress.

10-05-10 07:58 AM
    I second that...been available to upgrade for while now and am willing to hold off until Feb-Mar for the super storm...just wish more info was out on it..
    10-05-10 10:41 AM
    I second that...been available to upgrade for while now and am willing to hold off until Feb-Mar for the super storm...just wish more info was out on it..
    Im in the exact same boat. Original day one storm one owner and waiting to use my upgrade..... I dont know if my 9530 will make it all the way to feb... On its last legs..
    10-05-10 10:49 AM
    I too am there.. I obtained a storm 1 at 8:01am on its release date and am holding off on my renewal due to the low specs on the current storm 2. at this point, my storm is rather rough so I'm hoping they pull something off real soon or I'm going to have to buy a bold to tide me over.

This silence crap is just not working.. I love blackberry but the whole lack of communication regarding upcoming phones is putting me in a position where i am seriously considering a droid, especially when one looks at the current disparity between hardware specs.
    10-05-10 01:01 PM
    Did you know that if you are a Verizon customer and have a calling plan price of $49.99 or higher(not including data or text plans) you can upgrade after 12 months and receive the 2 year promotional price? Such plans include the 450 minute and unlimited texts for $59.99 or the 900 minute plan(no texts) for $59.99. It makes me hurt to see people stuck on a device like the 9530, so I am just making sure people are aware of this. I did this when I upgraded my 9530 to a 9550. I sold my 9530 on eBay for what it cost me to buy the 9550 at the discounted price.
    10-05-10 01:31 PM
213 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD