12-22-10 08:02 AM
213 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Why get repeaters or signal boosters? If your phone has Wifi then just pick up a wireless router for $50 and run over Wifi in your house.

Just asking

And Scott I read on android central about needed to turn GPS on/off after using it to cut down on batt drain. Apparently its a bug in 2.1 on the X and a few other devices leading to serious drain. If you cycle the GPS connection it stops pinning the CPU.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-10 04:28 PM
    Scott,
    Wilson 801247 SignalBoost DT Repeater Kit

Wilson 304475 Multi-Band High Gain Yagi Antenna (75 ohm)

801265 - Wilson Cellular In-Building Wireless signalboost™DB Pro Adjustable Gain™ 75dB (Amplifier Only)

Wilson 801265 DB PRO 75dB Adjustable Gain Amplifier | RepeaterStore Blog.

Yes, you will spend some cash, but it is really worth it, if you use your 3G much at home. I am retired, so, I use mine all the time.

I can not find where I bought my unit. I spent $240.00 for it, the first link. If you google it, you can shop till you find a cheaper place to purchase it. When I first got it I did not think it worked. So I sent it back and got a Z boost model. That was even worse. So I sent it back too.

Then I started studying, refreshing my knowledge, as I was an Radar tech in the Navy many years ago. I reordered the Wilson unit and ordered a yagi directional antenna (dual band) second link (the antenna in the kit just was not good enough). Then I used Google Earth to draw a line to the tower from where my old TV antenna pole is on my house. Luckily the line to the tower on Google went right across the end of my Propane tank. So that is how I aimed her. Works great now.

The last two links are for the newest and best to come down the pike. Not for sale yet, but after reading the last link a few minuets ago, it will probably be out of my price range. But it would fun to have. Heck, give me something to tweek on and I am in heaven.

I had Opera too. When I found out that I only had around 40 Meg for apps, I erased it. I use the app ShortcutMe_Touch now. I have links to all the mobile web sites I like. It is a really cool app. I can surf to my hearts content and most of the sites are only 20 to 30 K so they load fast. I think I have three apps on my phone now and about 28 MB free space. I even erased the App Store, plus everything in the operating system that I thought I could get away with.

I have been thinking of hooking her up to the computer and erasing, say the phone app to see if I could still text an MMS and send and receive email. If that worked I would erase the blue tooth app, the email and on and on, just getting rid of "junk" that I do not use to see, if I could reclaim the space for cool apps. I'd like to get rid of the "logs" too. I do not use them and they eat up app memory.

If I get the DX, I may renew it under my Casio GZone One phone which has been upgradeable for over two years now and just screw around with the Storm until the contract runs out next April. Then have it turned off, even if it still works, Ha!

Of course, I'd have her backed up.

I don't know though, I do like my GZone, that is what i call "my real phone". Heck I do not hardly know what to do when the Storm rings (I probably have had people call me on it 6 times in 18 mo.), a few times I have answered it upside down and missed the call. I did not get it because of the phone, I thought I was buying Verizon's answer to the iPhone/iPod touch.
    08-18-10 04:49 PM
    Why get repeaters or signal boosters? If your phone has Wifi then just pick up a wireless router for $50 and run over Wifi in your house.

Just asking

And Scott I read on android central about needed to turn GPS on/off after using it to cut down on batt drain. Apparently its a bug in 2.1 on the X and a few other devices leading to serious drain. If you cycle the GPS connection it stops pinning the CPU.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The good old S1 does not have WiFi, as I am sure you know. Plus it just irritates me to use my Huges Net WiFi for something that I am paying $30 bucks a month for. Sure it is my fault for living in the woods, so I will pay the price for the reception.

Hughes Net is another of my irritations. I pay for the $79 a month deal because of greater speed and more MB allowance per day. But the speed is only good for uploading or downloading. The web pages load as slowly as they did with dial up. I am using Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta now because it loads the web pages way faster than IE8 or Opera.

I was using the Verizon air card (760) for two years, and it was great and fast. For some reason this spring the trees got taller or put on more leaves or whatever and it stopped working. That is when I ordered Hughes.

This is the main reason I am after some sort of device that loads web pages quickly. I will get rid of Hughes as soon as I find this "magical device".

David
    08-18-10 05:01 PM
    Sorry to report this. But alot of sources are whispering about the S3 being Just a refresh - - that is, the exact same device as S2 with double the application memory - probably out by November with OS6 and little fan fare.

And the S4? DIW. "dead in the water".
    What do you mean by that? It's not coming at all? The Storm is discontinued?

What?
    08-18-10 07:54 PM
    What do you mean by that? It's not coming at all? The Storm is discontinued?

What?
    If you check the threads, it has been said that the Storm will have a refresh 3G model with 5MP camera and 512MB memory with BB6 on it. We are not sure what they will call it; 2-1/2 or 3? Now where does that leave the Storm's future? I am confident there will be a LTE version on Verizon when it gets all up and running. Will that be the Storm4? No one knows; probably not even RIM!
    08-18-10 10:00 PM
    If you check the threads, it has been said that the Storm will have a refresh 3G model with 5MP camera and 512MB memory with BB6 on it. We are not sure what they will call it; 2-1/2 or 3? Now where does that leave the Storm's future? I am confident there will be a LTE version on Verizon when it gets all up and running. Will that be the Storm4? No one knows; probably not even RIM!
    Well, "dead in the water" is an exaggeration. If you read that Salomondrin article from June, you can see the Storm 4's specs: Blackberry Storm 3 – Early Specs Salomondrin

In the article, he says it's the storm 3, but that would be a mistake and the one he is talking about is clearly not the refresh. Evidence of it being the Storm 4 and not Storm 2.5/3 are 1) it doesn't run OS 6 and 2) it's a LTE phone.
    08-19-10 12:03 AM
    Yeah, I've read those threads. Today I went to Verizon to look at the Droid X and I really liked it: BIG screen, nice GUI, fast, BIG screen. I think I'm going to get it with a one year contract, while RIM stumbles around trying to decide what to do. Maybe the S5 will be good enough for me to come back to BB. Unless the iPhone 6 is on Verizon by then.

RIM really needs to do something spectacular with Storm, or give up, drop it all together and stick with keyboard phones.
    08-19-10 08:24 PM
    Today I went to Verizon to look at the Droid X and I really liked it: BIG screen, nice GUI, fast, BIG screen. I think I'm going to get it with a one year contract, while RIM stumbles around trying to decide what to do.
    Be sure to keep a charger with you at all times.
    08-19-10 08:36 PM
    Well, "dead in the water" is an exaggeration. If you read that Salomondrin article from June, you can see the Storm 4's specs: Blackberry Storm 3 Early Specs Salomondrin

In the article, he says it's the storm 3, but that would be a mistake and the one he is talking about is clearly not the refresh. Evidence of it being the Storm 4 and not Storm 2.5/3 are 1) it doesn't run OS 6 and 2) it's a LTE phone.
    Weak.
    Better processor and that's about it.
    No better resolution no bigger screen.

While I like my S2, I want a higher resolution and larger screen.
    Quite frankly that is a deal breaker for me.

My Droid X is on the way.
    08-19-10 08:42 PM
    Be sure to keep a charger with you at all times.
    yeah, I've read that about the DX, not a problem. I have a charger at home and in the car - and I carry a spare (charged) battery with me now for my S1... I'll just do the same with the DX.

I just don't want to buy a "refresh" temporary Storm phone, while I wait on RIM to produce a REAL upgraded Storm. I also don't want to keep my S1 for yet another year or two while I wait either. So trying the DX should be a nice change of pace, and who knows what Droid (Motarola) will offer by the time the S4 finally ships?
    08-19-10 08:58 PM
    Weak.
    Better processor and that's about it.
    No better resolution no bigger screen.

While I like my S2, I want a higher resolution and larger screen.
    Quite frankly that is a deal breaker for me.
    Agreed. While I love the iPhone4's screen resolution...I don't like the size. I am holding out for a 4" LTE/4G phone to replace my Storm2. The Storm3 is going to be just a refresh to boost the performance so it can run OS6 (what the Storm2 should have had). If the Storm4 doesn't have a bigger screen with a higher resolution then I will be leaving BB.
    08-20-10 10:41 AM
    (Snip) ... who knows what Droid (Motarola) will offer by the time the S4 finally ships?
    And that is the kicker, the $64K question... Can RIM now innovate fast enough to even keep up with the competition, much less move ahead of them?

Scott
    08-20-10 10:44 AM

Just asking
    Other than the 9530 Wi-Fi issue noted in another post, I need a better signal for plain old phone calls. I barely get a bar (and that isn't consistent) and have dropped/no calls on a regular (though fairly infrequent (~10%)) basis. My house is in a bit of a hollow with tall trees around and even though there is a Verizon tower fairly close by, in the house I have problems.

I use Juice Defender on the Droid X which cuts (and enables as needed) the GPS automatically. If I don't let the kids play games, I'll get an easy 12 hours with normal use. Still, I'd love to have an extended battery (3500+MAh) like the one by Seidio available for the Droid Incredible. Just a matter of time is my guess! As thin as the main part of the body on the DX is, the battery with cover will probably still be no thicker than a S2.

Scott
    08-20-10 02:11 PM
    And that is the kicker, the $64K question... Can RIM now innovate fast enough to even keep up with the competition, much less move ahead of them?

Scott
    That is the kicker. I may walk away from BB for a year, and never come back.
    Not that they would miss "ME" - but thousands of "me's" might hurt. It could even kill the Storm line completely.

I REALLY like the big 4" screen, after playing around with a screen that size, it's hard to go back the the tiny S1.
    08-20-10 09:29 PM
    Agreed. While I love the iPhone4's screen resolution...I don't like the size. I am holding out for a 4" LTE/4G phone to replace my Storm2. The Storm3 is going to be just a refresh to boost the performance so it can run OS6 (what the Storm2 should have had). If the Storm4 doesn't have a bigger screen with a higher resolution then I will be leaving BB.
    Storm2 SHOULD have been released in 09 with enough "juice" to easily run OS6 - What a HUGE mistake on RIM's part! Had they done that, it would have bought them MORE time to bring a KILLER S3 to market in 4th quarter of 2010 (or 1st Qtr 11).

2 year S1 users (like me) would happily get the new KILLER S3 phone and the S2 users could choose to hold on with their OS6 upgrade until the end of their contracts, or get the S3. As it stands now none of the S1 or S2 users are going to be happy - who wants to get a S2.5 (and a new contract) KNOWING the S3/4 is just around the corner?
    08-20-10 09:47 PM
    That is the kicker. I may walk away from BB for a year, and never come back.
    Not that they would miss "ME" - but thousands of "me's" might hurt. It could even kill the Storm line completely.

I REALLY like the big 4" screen, after playing around with a screen that size, it's hard to go back the the tiny S1.
    Right there with you. I want a larger screen than both the Storm or iPhone offer. RIM needs to get on the ball and be the first to the table to offer a 4" screen. If Apple does it first with the iPhone4g and it comes to Verizon...then RIM is finished.
    08-20-10 10:02 PM
    Storm2 SHOULD have been released in 09 with enough "juice" to easily run OS6 - What a HUGE mistake on RIM's part! Had they done that, it would have bought them MORE time to bring a KILLER S3 to market in 4th quarter of 2010 (or 1st Qtr 11).

2 year S1 users (like me) would happily get the new KILLER S3 phone and the S2 users could choose to hold on with their OS6 upgrade until the end of their contracts, or get the S3. As it stands now none of the S1 or S2 users are going to be happy - who wants to get a S2.5 (and a new contract) KNOWING the S3/4 is just around the corner?
    This is Absolutley Correct to the T!!!
    I've had my S1 for going on 2 years when the S2.5 will be released. I'm almost forced to get this S2.5 piece of crap cause I've waiting so long with my S1 hoping for something really nice. However, like usual, RIM just always under delivers with some minor upgrades to a phone. I'm beginning to even have doubts that the S3 will be any good since they've been working on it for so long, actually I'm positive this will happen.
    I mean by the time the S3 is released with a 1ghz processor, Droids will be most likely at 2ghz running laps around RIM and their hurting @$$ phones. Also if RIM continues to run apps off the Flash memory with the S3 then it's still going to be a weak upgrade. Like it or not the Storm is their consumer phone that obvioulsy competes against the iPHone and Droids, so it needs to have gaming capabilities and screen res like these phones to have a Wow factor for the consumer market. RIM can sit back in their biz nitch and say that running apps off the Flash memory is fine, but they are jack@$$'s for thinking that if they EVER wanna compete in the ring with the iPHone or Droid. My 2 cents...
    The only thing that may hold me out for the S3 is the new OS. Cause what I believe is gonna happen is the Blackpad will come out at the end of this year. The Blackpad is suppose to be running a new OS based off the new QNX kernel. If this new OS is a success and looks good, then I'm feeling that this will be the OS that will be ported to the S3. Making the Blackpad and hopefully and finally the Storm series a success. Keeping hope alive...
    08-21-10 12:29 PM
    The only thing that may hold me out for the S3 is the new OS. Cause what I believe is gonna happen is the Blackpad will come out at the end of this year. The Blackpad is suppose to be running a new OS based off the new QNX kernel. If this new OS is a success and looks good, then I'm feeling that this will be the OS that will be ported to the S3. Making the Blackpad and hopefully and finally the Storm series a success. Keeping hope alive...
    I agree that the Storm 4 (which is referred to as the Storm 3 in the above quote) will run on QNX's OS, since there've been plenty of rumours from Salomondrin and others saying it doesn't run on OS 6. The links below have caused me to believe that QNX's OS will be a success. The fact that QNX's OSs are already so widely used is very encouraging.

This a link I posted on another thread: How RIM Can Save Itself | BNET

The customers list for QNX: Customers
    08-21-10 04:57 PM
    The big question is HOW LONG will it take to get a S4 QNX OS to market, 2012?!

The second question is, will it work the first time or will RIM do a S5 nine months later, than a S5.5 REFRESH the following year?

Will there be a 4" screen on the S4, or not until the S6?
    Last edited by Mike_is_Mike; 08-21-10 at 09:46 PM.
    08-21-10 09:36 PM
    It seemed the S1 was not quite ready for prime time - the S2 was rushed to market to make up for the S1. The S2.5 REFRESH is yet another stop-gap fix.

I hope RIM puts in the time & effort to make the S4 a solid premium contender in the top end touch screen smart phone category. It's probably too much to ask for them to make it THE top end touch screen smart phone.
    08-21-10 09:44 PM
    [QUOTE=MattyG27;5495273]This is Absolutley Correct to the T!!!
    I've had my S1 for going on 2 years when the S2.5 will be released. I'm almost forced to get this S2.5 piece of crap cause I've waiting so long with my S1 hoping for something really nice.[QUOTE]

I was considering holding on to my S1 (contract is up Nov.) until I see what this REFRESH actually is... OR even until the S4 info is confirmed, before going to a new phone. Droid X is in the front running right now.

My S1 still works as well as it always has and I really don't HAVE to get a new phone...... but I too was hoping for something new and really nice.
    08-21-10 09:55 PM
    this QNX company has an impressive company list does it make any money ?
    08-21-10 10:35 PM
    It seemed the S1 was not quite ready for prime time - the S2 was rushed to market to make up for the S1. The S2.5 REFRESH is yet another stop-gap fix.

I hope RIM puts in the time & effort to make the S4 a solid premium contender in the top end touch screen smart phone category. It's probably too much to ask for them to make it THE top end touch screen smart phone.
    I would love for them to bring a touch screen only Torch in Q1 of 2011 and drop the Storm line after this 2.5...AKA S3. I really want a 4" non click BB smart phone that will rival the iPhone4. Make it an LTE device and give it a display on par with the retina display. Seeing as how most likely the next iPhone will be the iPhone4G - due out next June - it would be great to see RIM beat them to the punch with an LTE Torch device that truly does put them in the front of the smart phone race.

My next phone will have a 4" or larger screen. I just hope it is RIM that builds it.
    08-21-10 11:26 PM
    I agree that the Storm 4 (which is referred to as the Storm 3 in the above quote) will run on QNX's OS, since there've been plenty of rumours from Salomondrin and others saying it doesn't run on OS 6. The links below have caused me to believe that QNX's OS will be a success. The fact that QNX's OSs are already so widely used is very encouraging.

This a link I posted on another thread: How RIM Can Save Itself | BNET

The customers list for QNX: Customers
    What we need now is some info from Sal about this new OS, weather it be from playing with the S3 or the Blackpad. Someone has to have played with it that he knows and have an idea of the development of it.
    Also, since the Blackpad is due out at the end of the year, they have to have some sorta working build on this new OS to give us an idea of what it's looking like.
    I'm really impressed with that article and how RIM could use QNX to really give them an advantage in the tablet market, it actually sounds pretty exciting and the list of companies using QNX is also impressive.
    08-22-10 08:42 PM
    What we need now is some info from Sal about this new OS, weather it be from playing with the S3 or the Blackpad. Someone has to have played with it that he knows and have an idea of the development of it.
    Also, since the Blackpad is due out at the end of the year, they have to have some sorta working build on this new OS to give us an idea of what it's looking like.
    I'm really impressed with that article and how RIM could use QNX to really give them an advantage in the tablet market, it actually sounds pretty exciting and the list of companies using QNX is also impressive.
    Yes - Sal has been strangely quiet on the S3 and S4 lately.
    08-22-10 09:30 PM
213 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD