12-22-10 09:02 AM
213 12345 ...
tools
    Sorry to report this. But alot of sources are whispering about the S3 being Just a refresh - - that is, the exact same device as S2 with double the application memory - probably out by November with OS6 and little fan fare.

And the S4? DIW. "dead in the water".
    What sources?
    08-09-10 09:24 PM
    What sources?
    Alot of them, I guess.
    08-09-10 10:59 PM
    Sorry to report this. But alot of sources are whispering about the S3 being Just a refresh - - that is, the exact same device as S2 with double the application memory - probably out by November with OS6 and little fan fare.

And the S4? DIW. "dead in the water".
    care to prove your little statement there??
    08-10-10 09:36 AM
    i'm not the OP but I think dead in the water also.
    Too much time for competition.
    I ordered a Droid X. If the iPhone makes it to Verizon is Q1; only the most devout BB/Storm users will be around.

I bought the S1 then the S2 because they offered most features I needed.
    Now the DX looks hot. I don't really care about BBM. I like it but I only BBM my wife and a couple of friends. Everything else, oh well.
    08-10-10 07:11 PM
    Here is an interesting article about the Storm 3. Says Storm 3 will be released Q4, with OS 6 and improved for gaming. Storm 4 will arrive in 2011.

BlackBerry Storm 3 Launching Q4 With Revamped SurePress?
    08-10-10 07:57 PM
    S3 = Warmed over S2.
    S4 = Too Stinking Late 2B Competitive.
    IMHO
    08-11-10 03:15 AM
    it'll be interesting if the storm 3 (refreshed storm 2) actually takes advantage of a new look interface which could be the reason why storm 2 and possibly the storm was left without a os 6 update whilst phones like 9700 were given the nod.

but its more likely the carrier had chosen not to go that route (but surely the files will be released online somewhere for those to upgrade?)
    Last edited by zensen; 08-11-10 at 09:52 AM.
    08-11-10 09:48 AM
    Here is an interesting article about the Storm 3. Says Storm 3 will be released Q4, with OS 6 and improved for gaming. Storm 4 will arrive in 2011.

BlackBerry Storm 3 Launching Q4 With Revamped SurePress?
    Thanks, but sighting a 3 month old article is not much help. What would be helpful is RIM to give some hint as to why anyone should stay with the BB Storm series. My S1 is just OK, but my contract is up this Nov, and right now the Droid X is looking better and better. I'm sticking with Verizon because of it's better service in the areas I travel - which MIGHT open up a possible iPhone 4 in January. I'm one that likes the touch-type full screens (I hate keyboards - I know that's sacrilegious to BB owners)

I'm just irrationally impatient at this point. I'm not going to do anything until November at the earliest anyway - maybe I should just stay away from the internet until after Thanksgiving.
    08-15-10 03:36 PM
    Thanks, but sighting a 3 month old article is not much help. What would be helpful is RIM to give some hint as to why anyone should stay with the BB Storm series. My S1 is just OK, but my contract is up this Nov, and right now the Droid X is looking better and better. I'm sticking with Verizon because of it's better service in the areas I travel - which MIGHT open up a possible iPhone 4 in January. I'm one that likes the touch-type full screens (I hate keyboards - I know that's sacrilegious to BB owners)

I'm just irrationally impatient at this point. I'm not going to do anything until November at the earliest anyway - maybe I should just stay away from the internet until after Thanksgiving.
    I was sure I saw a brand new date on that article. I guess not sure enough.

I heard Storm 3 will hit Verison stores by the end of November. I want to see it before I get another phone.
    08-16-10 07:13 AM
    I got a chance to play around with the storm3. I was told it will be scheduled for an October Release on Verizon.
    08-16-10 08:21 AM
    Ordered my DX already...
    08-16-10 08:01 PM
    I got a chance to play around with the storm3. I was told it will be scheduled for an October Release on Verizon.
    And how did you get a chance to "play around with one?" Is it a refresh or more?
    08-17-10 08:20 AM
    Ordered my DX already...
    GREAT! Thanks for letting us know...
    08-17-10 08:20 AM
    Hum, I have seen most of you posting elsewhere on the web sites that I scour looking for information on the next greatest and best. Most of you posted on the early 9800 thread.

I want the Storm 3 too, but I want it to a be high end, hand held computer, as far as surfing the web. (That kinda means this 63 YO dude has to be able to Read The Printed Screen).

I want to be able to stream live radio stations, watch a few
    videos, from time to time, and not be limited on how many applications I have on the phone. As far as I am concerned, I do not care about blue tooth, the email, or social networking apps. (S1 has taught me how to have these without apps)

I do not care about the phone part of the unit. I do care about texting, MMS, and being able to send an email, should I need to.

As far as I am concerned the S1 is equivalent to the Tandy 1000 I had with a 32 K processor back in the early 80's. I have learned to deal with it, and it actually does everything I want except for looking at a real web page. So, any of you actually have "pull" at RIM, this is what an olden dude wants, and it would actually not be bad for you younger people who are into games and the like.
    08-17-10 04:34 PM
    And how did you get a chance to "play around with one?" Is it a refresh or more?
    In another thread he said a relative or buddy works for RIM and had it. Its the refresh.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-10 05:06 PM
    Hum, I have seen most of you posting elsewhere on the web sites that I scour looking for information on the next greatest and best. Most of you posted on the early 9800 thread.

I want the Storm 3 too, but I want it to a be high end, hand held computer, as far as surfing the web. (That kinda means this 63 YO dude has to be able to Read The Printed Screen).

I want to be able to stream live radio stations, watch a few
    videos, from time to time, and not be limited on how many applications I have on the phone. As far as I am concerned, I do not care about blue tooth, the email, or social networking apps. (S1 has taught me how to have these without apps)

I do not care about the phone part of the unit. I do care about texting, MMS, and being able to send an email, should I need to.

As far as I am concerned the S1 is equivalent to the Tandy 1000 I had with a 32 K processor back in the early 80's. I have learned to deal with it, and it actually does everything I want except for looking at a real web page. So, any of you actually have "pull" at RIM, this is what an olden dude wants, and it would actually not be bad for you younger people who are into games and the like.
    Based on what you describe, and if you are staying on Verizon, then my suggestion is the Droid X. If you are willing to switch to AT&T, then the Dell Streak may do the job for you.

I have many of the same wants in a phone as you. After looking around and considering all the maybe/might/hopefully/rumors about an upcoming RIM replacement for the Storm, I decided on the Droid X and the more I use it, the more I like it. I have no regrets and, frankly, nothing else coming out in the near future even interests me. A 4" screen might be big enough for your needs, but anything smaller I think you will regret.

My only complaint about the Droid X (and I think it is a problem with any phone that has a 1Ghz processor and apps to go with it) is battery life. I can get a full day of normal smartphone stuff. However, if I start using the GPS, or the kids start playing games, then I need to charge it as frequently as every 2-3 hours. Hopefully, Moto or someone else will come out with a 3000+ mah battery soon and that problem will go away. Oh, and I don't think this is a Droid X only issue. All leading edge phones appear to have this problem.

Unfortunately, if you are looking for app flexibility and being able to SEE the screen (web pages, .pdf's, etc.) RIM just doesn't even have rumored anything that will meet your needs in one package.

Their advantage in email I think will only last for 1, MAYBE 2 years. After that, I think it will be, more or less, an even playing field. Hey, at least with my Droid X (using MailDroid) I can see an ENTIRE email without it being cut off.

Also, IMO, Android has a HUGE advantage with the available touchscreen keyboards. I was really concerned about giving up SurePress. However, with available keyboards like Swype (already on the DroidX), SlideIt (my current favorite, just ahead of Swype, it's kind of a combo of Swype and SwiftKeys), SwiftKeys, BlindType, etc. it just blows RIM out of the water. IMO, even better than their keyboards (I used to have an 8330). Texting and emails are much easier now than what I struggled with on my 9530.

Finally, RIM just cannot compare to Android (much less the iPhone) in apps. There are just so many more good apps on Android and I don't see this changing. Personally, I find this rather surprising considering how much longer RIM has been around.

I REALLY DO hope RIM can get their act together on touchscreen phones. I just don't think it will happen in the next 6-9 months. For that matter, I don't see them dominating the keyboarded phones for more than a year or two.

Unfortunately, the next Storm appears to be the "S2 refresh" with 512MB and OS6. I think that a true replacement will not come until at least March next year. I hope I'm wrong as my wife's NE2 is up in January and I think she'd like to stick with RIM.

Good luck with your search!

Scott
    Last edited by stsurbrook; 08-17-10 at 05:49 PM.
    08-17-10 05:45 PM
    I just want a webkit browser and for my phone to not constantly freeze...
    08-17-10 05:54 PM
    I'm really wondering if RIM will throw in the towel on touchscreen phones after the Torch fizzled so quickly.

The BlackBerry Torch's Biggest Failure: RIM's Ridiculous Expectations
    08-17-10 09:39 PM
    I'm really wondering if RIM will throw in the towel on touchscreen phones after the Torch fizzled so quickly.

I don't really pay much mind to an anti-BlackBerry article posted on Gizmodo.
    08-17-10 09:47 PM

A lot of blogs and sites like the WSJ and Fortune have been talking about more or less the same thing today.

But what they do is purely wrong because you can't compare one Blackberry phone to the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 is Apple's entire smartphone line, while RIM's line includes the Torch + Bold 9650 + Curve 3G + Pearl 3G.

So what they should do is compare the 1.7 million iPhone 4's with the 150,000 Torch + how many Bold 9650, Curve 3G and Pearl 3G that were sold in the opening weekend.

You add up those 4 RIM phones, and you'll probably get less than 1.7 million, but that's because Apple is better at building up hype. Their fans line up to buy the phone before a single review is even written. Then 1.7 million people end up with 1.7 million defective products that require a bumper to work.
    08-18-10 12:00 AM
    A lot of blogs and sites like the WSJ and Fortune have been talking about more or less the same thing today.

But what they do is purely wrong because you can't compare one Blackberry phone to the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 is Apple's entire smartphone line, while RIM's line includes the Torch + Bold 9650 + Curve 3G + Pearl 3G.

So what they should do is compare the 1.7 million iPhone 4's with the 150,000 Torch + how many Bold 9650, Curve 3G and Pearl 3G that were sold in the opening weekend.

You add up those 4 RIM phones, and you'll probably get less than 1.7 million, but that's because Apple is better at building up hype. Their fans line up to buy the phone before a single review is even written. Then 1.7 million people end up with 1.7 million defective products that require a bumper to work.

Its clear that the iPhone is the anomalie out there. If the torch sold on par with other major launches like Evo and Pre then I think RIM is pretty happy. Not sure what Gizmodo's basis is for saying RIM expected more.

And while it is true that the bloggers all compare to the iPhone and more and more the Droids that is somewhat because everyone else does. You go up to John or sally public and show them antying with a touch screen and 90% of the time they will ask "is that like an iPhone?". Like it or not apple has positioned themselves as the default. They have Mindshare if not market share.

To me RIM did a good job with torch up to the point that they made 2 critical errors: chipset and scren resolution.

They need something more on that front and I don't think we will see it until 2011 after several decide "refreshes" drop.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-10 06:55 AM
    stsurbrook, Scott
    Thanks for your reply and advice. Maybe I will go back to the store and test the X once more. The first day, I tested it and the unit did not load a web page any faster than my storm, so I just walked out of the store. I live way out in the country and the nearest tower is 2.1 miles away. I have always had good phone service, but the 3G was no good.

I bought a Wilson amp/repeater and a directional antenna that is 40 feet above my house. Now I have all the bars on the Storm and I use it all the time to get my dollars worth for the data package.

AT&T is out for me. They may cover 97% of all Americans, but they only cover 3% of America's geography. I actually had my storm turned off last April and bought an iPhone. Everywhere that is not a county seat had the phone saying "no coverage". I took it back and had the Storm turned back on.

The Streak would probably be the best unit for me, but I would only be able to use it at home with WiFi.

So, I will drive to town later and check out the X more thoroughly. Well, maybe, can not get one until the 31 st.

David
    08-18-10 09:53 AM
    Here is an example of what I am talking about. With $46 billion in cash, Apple is the only company I know of that can compete with this kind of stuff. Microsoft and RIM appear to share the same lack of agility/imagination problem.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google...-event-youtube

Scott
    08-18-10 10:21 AM
    08-18-10 10:37 AM
    David,

Oh, one more thing. They don't say it in the video, but the Voice Actions feature is Froyo (Android 2.2) or greater only.

Personally, I found the DX web browser notably quicker and MUCH more accurate than the one on the S1.

I tried the Opera Mini browser on my S1 and it was much quicker and more accurate than the default browser. The problem was that any time I needed to download something I had to go back to the default browser. If all you are doing is reading web pages, then it is a much better option, IMO. It also downloads pages much faster, in part due to the fact that the Opera Mini server compresses the graphics, etc. so that the web pages are, on average 1/4 the size (or smaller) of the RIM browser downloads.

Verizon's 3G coverage is really good, but it is not what I would call "fast". At least here in Memphis.

BTW, where did you get your repeater? I've been thinking about getting one for the house, but the prices are pretty steep. I get good phone coverage everywhere except within about 3/10 of a mile of the house (we are in a bit of a low spot with tall trees all around). I wish Verizon would do the same program AT&T is doing with the free repeaters/signal boosters for the customers who need it.

Scott
    08-18-10 12:08 PM
213 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD