12-22-10 09:02 AM
213 1234 ...
tools
    It makes sense for RIM since they say the S3 is suppose to be one of the best user friendly phones RIM has made.
    Who said that? Can you direct us? I jave seen nothing but speculation about the Storm 3, is there some documentation now that it is in development?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-10 12:37 PM
    Engine

I agree with you, for the most part, what I don't think is that the iPhone is better than the Storm in any real sense - having used both, I'd take the storm

What RIM needs to do is improve the OS slightly (and hopefully reduce the number of bugs... that's annoying as h.e.l.l. sometimes), and make a phone that doesn't lag at all

my #1 hope is a much faster boot time, and #2 is a higher resolution screen with the same kind of brilliance - it's been said many times that the iPhone screen doesn't hold a candle for use outdoors in bright light

and a webkit browser... I really couldn't care less if it supports flash or not, but being much faster, and better support for the full web would be fantastic - for most things, I prefer the mobile web, but not all sites have that option

not sure how much difference Wireless N would make vs G on a handset, but as far as range goes, much agreed

The only place I've noticed where the iPhone shines compared to the Storm is battery life - if they can make all those changes and improve battery life a little bit, I'd be a happy camper

also, the idea of having RIM release the OS instead of the carriers? That would be fantastic - especially in Canada, where for some reason, they released .419 more than 6 months after it first came out on another carrier... with all that extra time, you'd think they could release something a little better
    07-11-10 07:17 PM

my #1 hope is a much faster boot time
    Having talked to someone who has OS 6 running on the flip, the boot time is not improved from 5.0. Hopefully the rumored 1GHz processor will help in this regard and/or OS6 is better optimized to speed up the boot time.
    07-11-10 11:53 PM
    That's why I was thinking they ought to be able to showcase the S3 now and just leave out the LTE bits until October/Novemeber when Verizon's emphasis shifts to LTE.
    This is my point. LTE isn't, IMO, going to be a make or break item for the S3. SO many other things will be. So at least from this perspective, we can agree...

I still think/worry, that Verizon will follow AT&T and drop the unlimited data plan when they roll out LTE. Especially when it is first released, I think they will want to control the adoption rate and network load, and making the switch at that time (if not sooner) makes sense.

I don't see the 2nd tier dropping their unlimited plans for awhile, but I don't see Verizon keeping it, especially if they see AT&T customers accepting the changes.

Scott
    07-12-10 10:57 AM
    Engine

I agree with you, for the most part, what I don't think is that the iPhone is better than the Storm in any real sense - having used both, I'd take the storm

What RIM needs to do is improve the OS slightly (and hopefully reduce the number of bugs... that's annoying as h.e.l.l. sometimes), and make a phone that doesn't lag at all

my #1 hope is a much faster boot time, and #2 is a higher resolution screen with the same kind of brilliance - it's been said many times that the iPhone screen doesn't hold a candle for use outdoors in bright light

and a webkit browser... I really couldn't care less if it supports flash or not, but being much faster, and better support for the full web would be fantastic - for most things, I prefer the mobile web, but not all sites have that option

not sure how much difference Wireless N would make vs G on a handset, but as far as range goes, much agreed

The only place I've noticed where the iPhone shines compared to the Storm is battery life - if they can make all those changes and improve battery life a little bit, I'd be a happy camper

also, the idea of having RIM release the OS instead of the carriers? That would be fantastic - especially in Canada, where for some reason, they released .419 more than 6 months after it first came out on another carrier... with all that extra time, you'd think they could release something a little better
    Hey squire,

I don't think the iPhone is better but I think we are in the minority. I maintain that if the IPhone becomes available on more NA carriers than ATT and they apply any of thru marketing savy to Enterprise then everyone is in trouble.

However looking at some of the problems with the iPhone 4 launch and pending law suits and what not the time may be perfect to strike for RIM. If the S3 is comparable than they should launch some Marketting directed at the Toy reputation of the iPhone.

And don't even get me started on the way RIM let's the carriers control software release. I think they need to go to 1 or 2 OS releases a year. They should incorporate defined enhancements, new features and big fixes. They should be tested thoroughly by RIM and then announced and released to carriers. At lesat how Google does it, if not how Apple does it. Or make any bild available to the public but be clear about which ones are carrier supported.

07-13-10 08:18 AM
    This is my point. LTE isn't, IMO, going to be a make or break item for the S3. SO many other things will be. So at least from this perspective, we can agree...

I still think/worry, that Verizon will follow AT&T and drop the unlimited data plan when they roll out LTE. Especially when it is first released, I think they will want to control the adoption rate and network load, and making the switch at that time (if not sooner) makes sense.

I don't see the 2nd tier dropping their unlimited plans for awhile, but I don't see Verizon keeping it, especially if they see AT&T customers accepting the changes.

Scott
    I think VZW is definitely going tiered but I don't think anyone knows if they are going to drop an unlimited plan. That would kind of be backwards for them since they tout the network so much. Also with the backlash ATT took I tend to think you will see an unlimited plan. Considering that I pay $45 a month now because of BES I will be interested to see what they offer. I can expense it anyway but still would love to save my company some money.

07-13-10 08:23 AM
    my #1 hope is a much faster boot time
    My #1 hope is a BB that doesn't need reboots.

My 9700 is actually pretty good as for as BBs go...only do it every few days or so. Looking to jump to Verizon/S3.
    07-13-10 07:52 PM
    I think VZW is definitely going tiered but I don't think anyone knows if they are going to drop an unlimited plan. That would kind of be backwards for them since they tout the network so much. Also with the backlash ATT took I tend to think you will see an unlimited plan. Considering that I pay $45 a month now because of BES I will be interested to see what they offer. I can expense it anyway but still would love to save my company some money.
    The problem with unlimited data at LTE speeds, combined with a BUNCH of new users/phones ready and equipped to take advantage of that speed could easily cripple even VZW's network.

That is essentially what happened to AT&T. They were fine and highly regarded in the 3G world before the iPhone and then the data usage grew so fast there was just no way they could catch up. And they might not catch up for another 3-5 years.

I would think that VZW would be very aware of these lessons and be sure to price the data plans to (1) help pay for the network upgrades they KNOW they are going to have to pay for and (2) control the data usage increases that will come from high speed LTE.

Personally, I think VZW needs to consider that people will use an unlimited LTE data plan like they have their cell phone plans... by dropping their home data connection in favor of the always on LTE connection. So, with tethering, you will see, not only the data usage from the new phones (and potential droves of AT&T users bailing on their failing networks), but also the landslide of new data from people's laptops/desktops.

Anyway, that is my reasoning for why VZW will drop the unlimited data at or before the start of the LTE network. At least for a period of time until they can be sure they can handle the new load. Having worked in IT in networking, that would only be a prudent move to avoid the pain AT&T is going through.

Hey, my opinion is worth what you've paid for it...

Scott
    07-13-10 11:25 PM
    Part of what Scott said is being laid down now, with the move back to charging for hotspot data (remember that the Pre started out charging for it but the cost was dropped to help promote the Pre when it had lukewarm sales). Setting up the expectation now will let them use charge based on data usage when people drop home internet in favor of LTE-based tethering or wireless networking.

My hope is that this would allow them (or at least speed the return) to not have to cap phone data plans very severely, but that will indeed depend on the rate of customer adoption, how users bandwidth habits evolve, etc. Certainly it seems prudent to begin erring on the side of caution to prevent the issues AT&T has suffered.
    07-14-10 10:28 AM
    Well, this may be relevant: Link Looks like VZ is setting in motion some of the "behind the curtain" changes needed before they can roll out LTE. If the Storm 3 ship date is tied to Verizon's LTE roll out, then any news they are getting closer to rolling it out has to be good news.
    07-14-10 01:25 PM
    Remember 4G devices might just mean broadband cards. Sprint started with cards and LATER introducted a phone (and STILL only has 1 4G phone). And Verizon has always said they will start woith broadband cards and then later have phones. So I still would not expect phones until 2011, BUT what do I know????
    07-14-10 03:32 PM
    All good points. What I know from a relative working on LTE is that even before that VZW doubled their 3G days capacity a few years ago and then just doubled it again. While ATT may have been highly regarded before the iPhone keep in mind that it was a flegling network with a small number of subscribers and almost no 3G footprint. With the iPhone they gained a lot of data hungry subscribers but never updated thru network. I don't want to sound like a VZW fanboi here but they have spent a ton of money to ensure that their 3G network is very robust. I am sure that they approached LTE the same way. Not to say that it wouldn't be sensible to restrict LTE data initially, just in case.

Guess we all have to see if they have an unlimited option in their tiered data plans when they happen.

07-14-10 05:02 PM
    interestly enough both S1 and Tour happens to be on VZN network. So far AT&T has a good track record in releasing of BBs, which can't be said about iphone
    07-15-10 01:19 PM
    Even though Sprint has "rolled out" 4G with the Evo, 4G coverage is still in limited service areas (I think). VZW 4G is likewise limited to select market areas. I think it's unlikely to see a nationwide 4G roll out until sometime in 2011. Furthermore, 4G will invite heavier bandwidth usage such as streaming video. Hence, tiered data plans are likely if for no other reason than to reduce costs for most users who use less bandwidth. I don't see a 4G S3. But if the S4 release is close on the heels of the S3, then the S4 will likely be 4G with a 2011 release.
    07-20-10 01:18 AM
    Even though Sprint has "rolled out" 4G with the Evo, 4G coverage is still in limited service areas (I think). VZW 4G is likewise limited to select market areas. I think it's unlikely to see a nationwide 4G roll out until sometime in 2011. Furthermore, 4G will invite heavier bandwidth usage such as streaming video. Hence, tiered data plans are likely if for no other reason than to reduce costs for most users who use less bandwidth. I don't see a 4G S3. But if the S4 release is close on the heels of the S3, then the S4 will likely be 4G with a 2011 release.
    Check out some info on VZW's plans. Natwide rollout in nov covering about 30 markets and 100 million subscribers. I think at that point they dwarf sprint. Then they continue to expand into 2011, 2012. They say by 2013 LTE will be bigger than the current 3G network.

So they will have a significant LTE footprint by year end.

07-20-10 08:31 AM
    Check out some info on VZW's plans. Natwide rollout in nov covering about 30 markets and 100 million subscribers. I think at that point they dwarf sprint. Then they continue to expand into 2011, 2012. They say by 2013 LTE will be bigger than the current 3G network.

So they will have a significant LTE footprint by year end.
    If you look at the engadget article on this, it seems a more limited rollout initially even if it will cover 30 markets.

Verizon's LTE network launching November 15 with two data cards and over 30 markets? -- Engadget

You don't make a big deal about data cards unless you are not intending to really pushing handsets to start with and tbh isn't it really the data cards where people would want to see the benefits to start with.
    07-20-10 07:46 PM
    you said it best man... Smoke in the wat-ar... and fire in the sky...
    07-21-10 05:26 PM

verizon like all providers have soft caps at 5gb. Unlimited is not unlimited, its partially unlimited. If you think vz cares about backlashes then you don't know much about them. First to introduce double etf even after being strong armed by the fcc. They will most likely go a different data amount than att but if they say 5gb at so and so amount you will see tons of people complaining eventhough thats what they've been working with anyway

Verizon CTO: flat-rate data 'isn't long-term sustainable' -- Engadget
    Last edited by spawn026; 07-22-10 at 08:29 AM.
    07-22-10 08:26 AM
    verizon like all providers have soft caps at 5gb. Unlimited is not unlimited, its partially unlimited. If you think vz cares about backlashes then you don't know much about them. First to introduce double etf even after being strong armed by the fcc. They will most likely go a different data amount than att but if they say 5gb at so and so amount you will see tons of people complaining eventhough thats what they've been working with anyway

Verizon CTO: flat-rate data 'isn't long-term sustainable' -- Engadget
    You are absolutely correct in your assessment of Verizon's attitude, IMO. They are confident and arrogant when it comes to charging for every last little feature. Does any other carrier lock down turn-by-turn GPS apps (VZNav) like verizon? Now we are going to receive the ultimate insult--meager data caps JUST BEFORE LTE BEGINS DEPLOYMENT. Thanks a frickin' lot, Verizon. Damn, I love the coverage (my phone works just about everywhere I've been in 8 states), but I detest Verizon's high prices, high ETF's and nickle and dimeing. But they know that millions of people such as myself don't want to switch to an inferior carrier, just to save a buck. sigh.
    07-22-10 12:15 PM
    You are absolutely correct in your assessment of Verizon's attitude, IMO. They are confident and arrogant when it comes to charging for every last little feature. Does any other carrier lock down turn-by-turn GPS apps (VZNav) like verizon? Now we are going to receive the ultimate insult--meager data caps JUST BEFORE LTE BEGINS DEPLOYMENT. Thanks a frickin' lot, Verizon. Damn, I love the coverage (my phone works just about everywhere I've been in 8 states), but I detest Verizon's high prices, high ETF's and nickle and dimeing. But they know that millions of people such as myself don't want to switch to an inferior carrier, just to save a buck. sigh.
    I know your pain coming from verizon and the original storm era. I've been with big red for a few years and no problems with service but the dollars were just too high. With the lower family plan and text message option, free visual voice mail and racked up rollover minutes plus my student discount I make out like a bandit. Att has been good to me so it would take one **** of a problem to bring me back to those prices.
    07-22-10 12:58 PM
    I know your pain coming from verizon and the original storm era. I've been with big red for a few years and no problems with service but the dollars were just too high. With the lower family plan and text message option, free visual voice mail and racked up rollover minutes plus my student discount I make out like a bandit. Att has been good to me so it would take one **** of a problem to bring me back to those prices.
    I had the misfortune of starting out with cellular service around 1998, with Cingular. Dropped calls were a daily occurrence, and what's even worse was that none of the 6 phones my wife and I owned over the course of 3+ years, would get reception in large stores, ANY malls, or at some of my employer's buildings. Reception at home was very "iffy". I finally jumped to Verizon the very day that my boss lent me his Star Tac. Prior to him lending me his Star Tac, we had spent a week in Ohio on business and it was then that I realized that Verizon was far superior to Cingular. He lent me his phone ON THE PLANE, when we were stuck on the tarmac with mechanical problems (I wanted to let my wife know I MIGHT not be coming home that night) No way would my Cingular phone work inside the plane.

It was well worth paying the ETF to jump to Verizon! I like saving a buck as much as the next guy, but reliable service is my FIRST concern. I've not tried T-Mobile, Sprint, or AT&T, but the horror stories about AT&T remind me too much of Cingular for me to even remotely consider them.
    07-22-10 01:50 PM
    I'm waiting for more info. I ordered and have received a Droid Incredible, but when I carry both I keep using my Storm 2 over the DI, so I am really curious about the Storm 3. At this point I may return the DI....not sure yet.
    08-04-10 12:12 AM
    now that the 9800 is on the market, any ideas if RIM will start leaking more info on this one?

one for Sal probably
    08-04-10 12:22 AM
    I'm trying to limp by with my S1 too, but if I get some solid info, I will have no problem waiting...
    this

08-09-10 07:58 PM
    Sorry to report this. But alot of sources are whispering about the S3 being Just a refresh - - that is, the exact same device as S2 with double the application memory - probably out by November with OS6 and little fan fare.

And the S4? DIW. "dead in the water".
    08-09-10 08:09 PM
213 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD