12-22-10 09:02 AM
213 123 ...
tools
    So, I've been thinking a Storm 3 could be more real at this point, based on three rumors, that seem to add up...

The first isn't a rumor. RIM announed on their latest earnings conference call there would be two, new, high-end devices this year. I assume the first one is the Slider, but I havent seen any other rumors pointing to a "high-end" device (probably not the clamshell), so I'm hoping its the Storm 3.

Next, we have the latest leaks from Sal (posted here many times) that the next Storm would be an LTE device...

Finally, I read a post today that Verizon will be launching their LTE network in November, with the frist devices available for it on Black Friday (either on Boy Genius, BerryReview, or Blackberry Cool...can't remember which)

To me, all this seems to coincide to a Storm 3 launching that day. This would also be right around the late November launches of the Storm 1 and 2.

Any thoughts?
    06-29-10 10:48 PM
    I agree sounds likely .
    06-29-10 10:54 PM
    yep, is likely
    06-29-10 11:55 PM
    The second high end phone may well be the 9700 delta or a. Also, considering that the 9670 is running OS6, they may consider it high end.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-10 11:59 PM
    Yeah once I read the BGR article that LTE was set for November Launch, I immediately thought of the S3! I sure hope all this adds up to an S3 launch...
    06-29-10 11:59 PM
    This makes sense...but I hope we'll see a press/spec announcement in October with some solid unofficial info in August. Then I could probably limp by on my S1 till Novemeber.
    06-30-10 12:10 AM
    This makes sense...but I hope we'll see a press/spec announcement in October with some solid unofficial info in August. Then I could probably limp by on my S1 till Novemeber.
    I'm trying to limp by with my S1 too, but if I get some solid info, I will have no problem waiting...
    Last edited by sf18443; 06-30-10 at 12:13 AM. Reason: typo
    06-30-10 12:13 AM
    I can support the Nov launch of LTE based on what someonw I know who is working on that project for VZW has told me.

I definitely think we'll be seeing a 4G Storm 3 in November. (but I have been saying this for months)

My only fear is that the Sprint Evo has VZW pushing up time tables on the manufacturers of the new LTE devices and that we'll end with an S1 all over again. Hopefully RIM learned their lesson on that one.

Still, being that there will be other 4G hand sets coming at the same time it will be intresting to see how the S3 stacks up.

06-30-10 07:38 AM
    So I've been thinking (always a dangerous game, I know) and several voices have questioned whether the lack of leaks (up till now) is really a good thing, what with how many S1 contracts are up in the next 45 days. But we also have heard that due to the LTE marketing demands that there are more stringent policies on leaks in place.

Couldn't this be worked around? I'm sure there are literally hundreds of people who would be happy to sign and NDE on the LTE issues and just review the normal phone options (not like most people could test out the LTE stuff on their local network anyways). As an S1 user in desperate need of a new phone, I know I'm hoping to hear more about this so I can make an informed decision... (recent spec leaks sound good BTW).
    06-30-10 10:57 AM
    So I've been thinking (always a dangerous game, I know) and several voices have questioned whether the lack of leaks (up till now) is really a good thing, what with how many S1 contracts are up in the next 45 days. But we also have heard that due to the LTE marketing demands that there are more stringent policies on leaks in place.

Couldn't this be worked around? I'm sure there are literally hundreds of people who would be happy to sign and NDE on the LTE issues and just review the normal phone options (not like most people could test out the LTE stuff on their local network anyways). As an S1 user in desperate need of a new phone, I know I'm hoping to hear more about this so I can make an informed decision... (recent spec leaks sound good BTW).
    I think now that we know VZW is launching LTE in November maybe the leaks will come sooner. VZW is supposed to launch a slew of 4G phones on Black Friday and I pray S3 is one of them bc I have the S1 also and have been eligible for upgrade since April but I am holding out till fall.

06-30-10 11:08 AM
    I think now that we know VZW is launching LTE in November maybe the leaks will come sooner. VZW is supposed to launch a slew of 4G phones on Black Friday and I pray S3 is one of them bc I have the S1 also and have been eligible for upgrade since April but I am holding out till fall.

Look how this went...

We have all been saying RIM needs to release or 'Leak' info on the S3 due to the iPhone 4 and Droid X early upgrade deals, etc. Then here comes CX and Sal with some teases and then actual Specs.

Clearly RIM leaked out some info to wet appetites and hold some folks in their seats. I expect the next we'll here is at their Dev Con in Sept(?). Hopefully some new SDK items that provide insight into the Storm 3, especially if it is to be a Gaming/Media Powerhouse. Also that conference should be where OS6 and Whatever the S3 will be running gets fully exposed.

If RIM launches OS6, and whatever the S3 is running without an SDK release then they are just insane. I think what we have been seeing in the last few months, is that they aren't as dumb as we tend to think sometimes (clamshell aside.)
    06-30-10 12:34 PM
    I think the storm 3 is real. Whether or not it will be released before it is obsolete is another matter. 1 gig processor, 1 gig ram? Sure that is nice but not if its a year behind what the competition is releasing at the same time .... Now that is the million dollar question.

07-08-10 12:13 PM
    Is it possible the 'second' high end device promised could be the tablet and not a phone at all?

07-09-10 03:31 AM
    I think the storm 3 is real. Whether or not it will be released before it is obsolete is another matter. 1 gig processor, 1 gig ram? Sure that is nice but not if its a year behind what the competition is releasing at the same time .... Now that is the million dollar question.

Hey, EVERY phone is obsolete as soon as it's released - anything on the market is old tech, the next thing is the future.

If RIM managed to release a phone and not have it go obsolete the second the first person hit the first button, they'd be managing something that nobody on earth has managed since the RAZR.

It's going to be a Ghz processor, a GB of Memory, a brilliant screen - the Storm 1 Screen is still one of the best out there, other than the awkward 1 button mechanism that's so prone to issues...

I love the Storm, despite its limitations - the Storm 2 removed most of those limitations (same phone, better screen, more memory)... the Storm 3 is going to be a much faster phone with much more memory and an updated OS that's actually designed for a touch screen - this will be the first storm that's actually upgraded top to bottom, as opposed to minor fixes.
    07-09-10 06:41 AM
    Squire- I think the point is that it can't have 2009 or even 2010 specs. Here are some examples of what I think prope mean :

Wireless N supp in stead of just G
    Scren res of at least 800x640 and most likely with HD capability.
    Graphics capabilties capable of high fps and accuracy
    At least 720p HD recording on video.

Its these kinds of things where RIM traditionally falls behind.

While I agree with the blog post from the Worldmate CEO that it may not be smart to try an out iPhone the iPhone, if you are going to make the attempt then you better be going balls deep.

Apple is really starting to make case for the iPhone and iPad in enterprise and looking at their security features that they can deploy for an iPhone platform for enterprise there is not much more that BES can offer. If they do launch an iPhone on VZW in January and they start knocking on Enterprises door showing how to password lock, remote wipe, wipe upon invalid password, and encrypt iPhones then RIM is in very very deep sh't.

Having a competitive consumer offering is some shelter against that, but RIM will need to do more. (like be more proactive with end users and getting updates to them direct)

07-09-10 08:10 AM
    Squire- I think the point is that it can't have 2009 or even 2010 specs. Here are some examples of what I think prope mean :

Wireless N supp in stead of just G
    Scren res of at least 800x640 and most likely with HD capability.
    Graphics capabilties capable of high fps and accuracy
    At least 720p HD recording on video.

Its these kinds of things where RIM traditionally falls behind.

While I agree with the blog post from the Worldmate CEO that it may not be smart to try an out iPhone the iPhone, if you are going to make the attempt then you better be going balls deep.

Apple is really starting to make case for the iPhone and iPad in enterprise and looking at their security features that they can deploy for an iPhone platform for enterprise there is not much more that BES can offer. If they do launch an iPhone on VZW in January and they start knocking on Enterprises door showing how to password lock, remote wipe, wipe upon invalid password, and encrypt iPhones then RIM is in very very deep sh't.

Having a competitive consumer offering is some shelter against that, but RIM will need to do more. (like be more proactive with end users and getting updates to them direct)

07-09-10 08:15 AM
    My upgrade came and I upgraded to the Bold 9650 and sold my S1 (mistake). The Bold was great for 3 days and became slower than my old Curve and S1 with the same applications. So I returned the Bold. I just ordered a S1 on ebay and I will wait it out for the holiday season to see what new and great BB comes to VZW. Just hope it will be the rumored S3.
    07-09-10 08:26 AM
    Paul - why order an S1? What's the price did with an S2? Just curious.

07-09-10 08:34 AM
    I agree with The Engine, BB needs to step up their game. I got my hands on the Droid X in the Verizon store yesterday. This thing is very fast and very smooth to operate and the screen is beautiful. I am not intrigued with Google's way of handling email but given the choices, today, I may have to jump from my S1 to the X if BB doesn't say something soon.
    07-09-10 11:28 AM
    I agree with The Engine, BB needs to step up their game. I got my hands on the Droid X in the Verizon store yesterday. This thing is very fast and very smooth to operate and the screen is beautiful. I am not intrigued with Google's way of handling email but given the choices, today, I may have to jump from my S1 to the X if BB doesn't say something soon.
    ah, you bring up a point that cuts to the heart of why many of us use BB phones--their messaging prowess. I too, have an interest in the X, but have to temper my interest with what I'd be giving up if i jumped from a BB to a Droid. Damn--why can't we have it ALL! (in one device, I mean)
    07-09-10 11:39 AM
    Really? My wife has my old S1 I have the S2. My son has had an Incredible for a few weeks. I play with it often. I love the way it handles e-mail. Very fast and full HTML. Plus nothing truncated! None of that -more available- 'get more' 'get more all' cra p. For its and giggles I set up an Exchange Server (very easy and free - not like BES) and it handled things quite well. Why any business (outside a few that really needs 128bit encryption) would pay for a BES administrator and the licensing fees and all that malrkey is beyond me. Its not strictly push, but the 5 secs extra waiting for an e-mail is made up a thousand fold by how quickly everything else is done on the device.
    07-09-10 11:43 AM

ottscay,

I've heard similar statements here before, but I have to disagree on this point.

I mean what is it about LTE that is so top secret?

1. We know it is coming to Verizon in either the 4th qtr 2010 or 1st qtr 2011.

2. We know that the market will move to LTE in the future. We know that future phones will be LTE compatible.

3. We know that Verizon will have at least one LTE phone available when they roll out LTE.

4. We know that HTC already has a 4G phone available (the HTC Evo on Sprint).

5. We know that Qualcomm has a LTE chipset.

6. We know that RIM has a relationship with Qualcomm.

7. We know that smartphone manufacturers are using 1ghz processors with the intention of going up to 2ghz and/or dual processors.

8. We know that 512MB RAM and 1GB flash are the new standard for leading edge smartphones with a strong likelihood of going to 1GB+ RAM within the next year.

9. We know that top end smartphones are using screens between 3.5 and 4.3 inches with resolutions of up to ~960 x 600 with graphics processors to match.

10. We know that the most advanced smartphones are also serving as My-Fi hotspots.

11. We know that no other manufacturer wants to copy SurePress.

12. We know that other companies are working on universal push email.

13. We know that other companies are using webkit based browsers.

I just don't see what could be so surprising that they cannot talk openly about it now. Unless RIM really believes that they will set the market on fire with doing 1-13 above, which are already available or announced intentions from other manufacturers.

So, at least in my mind, they should go ahead an announce before they loose all of us S1 users whose NE2's are either up in the next 15-60 days or might jump the gun and take advantage of the early NE2 offer Verizon is making for anyone whose NE2 is up in 2010.

The major concern about LTE for me is that Verizon has already announced that, at some undisclosed time in the future, they will follow AT&T with the elimination of unlimited data. I would expect that there is no way they will be able to handle unlimited data at LTE speeds, so that is probably the time they will start the new program... if not sooner.

Because of this, I'm also worried that I might lose it if I don't get it before the change... a change I don't expect them to give much, if any, warning about.

Anyway, I'm REALLY looking forward to some quick S3 news so I can make an informed decision and pull the trigger, if necessary.

Scott
    07-09-10 01:48 PM
    Scott - I think it is more about shareholders and revealing dates. I can tell you that VZW is launching LTE on 11/16 because I know a Project Manager working on it. But that is not Public yet. Also RIM took a hit last quarter because they had device launches (Bold 9650) that was late and launched well after expectations. So RIM can't talk about Launching a LTE Device on VZW in November or even December without running the risk of exposing VZW's dates. What happens if something crazy happens and VZW holds back on the launch until January? Now RIM looks Stupid, and or has the same issue with a delayed Device Launch.

I agree they could profile the Storm 3 and explain what is coming at a high level. I'd like to see them demo it, or show off some things at their DevCon in September. They could just say it's a prototype and will be out in a few months. I expect to see a ton about OS 6 and whatever the S3 is running at Dev Con because they had better be rolling out SDK updates for both platforms. If not then they are in trouble.

On a side note I'd like to see Launch the S3 with some Partnerships for Media content (Music & Movies) like a Netflix. Basically streaming your movies from Netflix via the LTE network, etc. etc. That could be a win win for VZW, RIM, and the rest of us. Have Netflix on Stage showing off what you can do on the S3. (Again a total play from Apple's book, but it works for them)
    07-09-10 02:27 PM
    I'm trying to limp by with my S1 too, but if I get some solid info, I will have no problem waiting...

I've been so fed up with my S1 lately I've been looking for a short term replacement on eBay. I got my S1 pretty close to launch so my plan is about to expire.

I'm hoping the S3 comes out around Christmas time. It makes sense for RIM since they say the S3 is suppose to be one of the best user friendly phones RIM has made. That just screams Q4 and Holiday sales.
    07-10-10 11:30 AM
    ottscay,

I've heard similar statements here before, but I have to disagree on this point.

I mean what is it about LTE that is so top secret?
    It's not that the occurrence is a big secret per se, it's how Verizon itself manages publicity. They don't really want the media to be talking on and on about LTE and all the LTE-enabled phones that are coming out in 4 months, they want the media talking about Droid X, Samsung Fascinate (or whatever the Verizon version is called), the Droid 2 in a month or two, etc.

This is almost always true to a degree (that networks would rather not have too much info leaked before hand) but because we are talking about an upgrade to the network/base phone capability I imagine they are being particularly strict this time around because none of their accountants want to see sales drop for several months as people decide to wait on LTE phones.

There is sometimes tension between manufacturers (who may actually want info to get out... for example so that people won't purchase the summer's hottest non-BB phones) and carriers, but this sort of thing is negotiated in when they sign the contracts, so if the NDA is strict enough then there isn't much RIM can do officially.

That's why I was thinking they ought to be able to showcase the S3 now and just leave out the LTE bits until October/Novemeber when Verizon's emphasis shifts to LTE.
    07-10-10 02:01 PM
213 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD