01-21-11 05:47 PM
114 123 ...
tools
    I have been the biggest critic of all these models RIM has put out in the last two years. I have always said that RIM should of stayed true to its WE which I believe became the Bold, its pearl, and its curve and left it at that! What set RIM apart was e-mail, BES, and security, but perhaps the biggest factor that kept them so desirable to the public was that keyboard! You use a BB and you must be an important person. Once they treaded off from that, I believe they lost ground, and appeared more like a chicken with its head cut off, coming up with different models and satisfying every nitch that a consumer could possibly want. The OS updates got confusing, the models got confusing, omitting, adding, limiting was all annoying. So now they are suffering from all this and their only way to recover was BB6 and the torch! Another huge mistake on their part (the torch that is). It only adds to the problem of yet more device models to the line up. Now we hear of a clamshell full keyboard BB and so on and so on.

Now that the rant is over, I want to know how you guys felt if RIM would of done away with all of these models, kept the 3 they had, and maybe just made a top of the line BB Bold (like the 9000 or even the 9700 now) with a touch screen for navigation, but keeping the exact design and the keyboard so it can stay true to the BB name! I think this would of been a huge succes for RIM if they made a model like this. And the biggest reason for its success would of been cause RIM would of kept a model like this ORIGNIAL, keeping the novelty there, but adding the evolution and the tech to the mix as well in order to compete! And a model like this with an ever evolving OS6 would of shined in my view!

What do you guys think of it? No clicks nothing too fancy. Just a touchscreen for navigation, the phone would of been a bold inside and out and with all the juicy functions that would keep it as a novelty and on top of the line BB as far as progression and features went.

Think it would of compete with BB and Droid as an original product? Especially if all 3 keyboard phones evolved in the same way?
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 08-21-10 at 01:44 PM.
    08-21-10 01:37 PM
    Just like RIM, you too have lost the path of direction. This should have been posted under blackberry discussion or OS 6.
    08-21-10 03:44 PM
    Crackberry mods!!! Plzzzzzzzzz give this guy a job! Thank you

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-10 03:52 PM
    Sounds like you're describing the elusive Dakota. Search for 9890. Seems like that may be it. May. But yes, standard candy bar form factor with touchscreen is what many of us await.

I'd also like to see it with an accelorometer, but I'm probably in the minority on that one.

Last edited by gregerator; 08-21-10 at 07:59 PM.
    08-21-10 07:57 PM
    it just seems like a natural evolution for me. Touch makes so much sense for navigation. I've looked at my 9650 and wished I could just touch the icons. Granted, my Storm 2 probably fooled me into wanting to touch my Bold screen's icons, but in the end, the feature would make it not only more functional, but also very original.

As for the torch...... too many ropes and bullies for my taste. A Bold touch screen will keep the device business friendly and the OS itself can be made feature friendly enough to satisfy the media geeks all while keeping the estedicts and form true to "blackberry."

but today... when I look at a torch, I dont see a Blackberry!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 08-22-10 at 08:40 AM.
    08-22-10 08:28 AM
    I totally forgot about the magnum/dakota! That device is the answer to my prayers! Thats basically it... 9700 form factor, call, end, BB, and back buttons imbeded into the screen like the storm 2, and a touch screen for navigation (no click). Everything else on the device a Bold in form. The only thing I do like is the metal type backing on the Storm 2. Thats the best backing I've seen on a BB device.

if they make this and stand by it, I think it will be the most popular device in their lineup! And reading from other posts on the magnum, dakota, I think many others agree with me here!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 08-22-10 at 09:14 AM.
    08-22-10 09:11 AM
    Count me in! While I love my 9700, a 9700 (or 9000) with touch screen would be the best BB ever! Coming from years of Treos, I know this is a winning combination - a great keypad plus a touch-screen!
    08-22-10 09:31 AM
    the thing about touch screen in this case is that it will naturally be a design of function over form despite adding more tech to the device.

Lots of times when you add more tech to a device, its usually form over function that wins (AKA the iphone). In the case for Blackberry, function should always beat form and that alone makes a Bold touch screen a winning combination
    08-22-10 09:43 AM
    This is most likely doctored, but with the exception of wanting the bold keyboard, this is exactly what I want!

Although this doctored photo looks slightly elongated. Probably to make the screen look bigger??? Either way, its still as close to my dream device as I've seen. What do you think?

08-22-10 11:00 AM
    I would be all over that. Waiting for the Dakota to come to light. I just hope the 9890 is it!
    08-23-10 11:18 AM
    This is most likely doctored, but with the exception of wanting the bold keyboard, this is exactly what I want!

Although this doctored photo looks slightly elongated. Probably to make the screen look bigger??? Either way, its still as close to my dream device as I've seen. What do you think?

is it me, or does that look like the curve keyboard rather than the bold
    08-23-10 11:20 AM
    It is! But remember its likely a doctored photo. If the real device came to light, I think most of us expect a bold keyboard

08-23-10 11:29 AM
    Should I hold out on this? I should I purchase the 9780 and then sell it after this comes out. Currently I have no contract and strictly buying the off contract. Just a little skeptical on the resale price dropping after this device comes out.
    08-23-10 11:56 AM
    I wouldnt. There has been ZERO news on whether this device will come out. There is a youtube clip with a device being previewed that has the formfactor of the Bold 9000 with no trackbad and a click screen like the Storm. Thats about as close to a real Dakota/magnum as I've seen with my own 2 eyes
    08-23-10 04:44 PM
    I wouldnt. There has been ZERO news on whether this device will come out. There is a youtube clip with a device being previewed that has the formfactor of the Bold 9000 with no trackbad and a click screen like the Storm. Thats about as close to a real Dakota/magnum as I've seen with my own 2 eyes
    I too was skeptical, until i saw this.

and its somewhat true, isnt it? The torch hitting, clamshell, the curve 9300
    08-23-10 05:36 PM
    Except there were tons of leaks in terms of images, videos for these devices way before they came out and none for the so-called 9900. I am starting to get skeptical as well, although I am dying to see such a device.
    08-23-10 05:39 PM
    is this the video?

08-23-10 05:50 PM
    Suuch a bad fake
    My son would have done better
    08-23-10 06:14 PM
    is this the video?

yea, thats the video I saw too.I dont know how I would feel about a Bold 9000 form factor. Yea the screen would be bigger and the keyboard more roomy, but I dont know what that would say about RIM, to go forward with their Bold design, and then go backward to the old again. It would keep them still looking like a chicken with its head cut off!

If they just keep the form of the 9700 and make it slightly larger (maybe a cross btwn the 2 sizes), I can logically flow with that. Back to a 9000 through and through and it would tell me that RIM is confused
    08-23-10 07:25 PM
    it's going to be a hard guess on what RIM is going to release next. With the rumored "blackpad" I hear they'll be using the QNX OS. If those rumors are true, the question is whether they're going to use QNX on their handheld devices.

Let's assume QNX is only for the "blackpad" why did RIM buy out the company? They invested heavily on OS6, so it'll be strange if they abandoned it. So if RIM is going forward with OS6 and release new devices as they should I will be expecting the 9900 which I think will be the 9000 form factor with a capacitive touch screen in November of this year. I'm also crossing my finger it'll have a better processor than the Torch as well as more Ram and higher resolution.....and Open GL
    08-23-10 07:29 PM
    08-24-10 05:48 AM
    I agree the Bold/Touch (Dakota) phone is what a LOT of people are looking at RIM to produce. I had Treo's for years and I can tell you this is the BEST form factor for a smart phone out there (IMO of course).

I almost think (I am a conspiracy theorist) that RIM does not want to make this phone because it will HURT sales in the long run. I can tell you right now that if RIM came out with this phone with 1 gig ram/1ghz processor/9000 Bold size/LTE that I would probably have a phone that could last me 5 years. I email/text a lot so that would be all the phone I would need.

I think RIM's business model is always to dangle the carrot in front of us all but to never let us actually get it lol
    08-24-10 09:56 AM
    So basically what the OP is saying is RIM should limit it's form factor?

This makes perfect sense. Heck. Why not let car manufacturers limit their car models.

Or computer manufacturers limit their models.

Heck. Limit everything. See how far we'll get.
    08-24-10 11:12 AM
    Wow, I would LOVE a device like this. My 9700 is the best BB I've used and I've had a few (8700, 8100, 8320, 8900).

Funnily enough, my very first smartphone was a Treo 650 and I also really liked the combo of a physical KB and a touchscreen. I did pop into an AT&T store to check out the 9800 but wasn't crazy about the slider. I'm with TMO anyways so don't have that option but would REALLY like to see TMO get something like the OP suggests.

We will have to wait and see!
    08-24-10 01:40 PM
    So basically what the OP is saying is RIM should limit it's form factor?

This makes perfect sense. Heck. Why not let car manufacturers limit their car models.

Or computer manufacturers limit their models.

Heck. Limit everything. See how far we'll get.
    as in OP, I assume you mean me... Whos talking about limiting??? Are you refering to size? Some say the 9000 was perfect. And I totally understand the idea. It was a very comfortable device that maximized what it could when it came to screen size yet keeping a keyboard. But preference is preference. I personally prefer the new 9700 style over the 9000. I dont care if they design it a tad bit larger to accomodate the touch screen, I just think that it shouldn't get to the 9000 size because smaller form factor is easiest to carry and better in the hands, especially when most people will start putting cases on these things, especially otterboxes.

Some even gripe about the difference in size btwn the 9650 verse the 9700, so my concept is not radical... But again, I understand why the 9000 was so popular with big handed folks
    08-24-10 01:50 PM
114 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD