Months ago the tech/smartphone world was talking about the Blackberry Magnum which was supposed to be a fixed-QWERTY (not a slider) with touchscreen. It had an optical trackpad and basically looked like a slimmed down Bold/Curve but had a touchscreen. Is that still happening or did that become the slider Torch? Any news on the Magnum. That's the one I want to buy, on any carrier except AT&T.
    08-05-10 01:42 PM
    Unfortunately, it seems to have disappeared from the radar.

See this thread for some discussion of the "dakota" which was one of the other codenames given for it:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f150/dakota-curve-484392/
    08-05-10 06:24 PM
    yah, i dont think anyone except for a select few has gotten word about this phone. what a shame
    08-05-10 10:14 PM
    I think the Magnum/Pluto/Dakota (or whatever else it may be called) is more possible than ever and the newly announced Blackberry Torch 9800 is the proof.

The Torch being the first touchscreen and qwerty keyboard Blackberry. So you ditch the slider and take your standard candy bar shape and have a touchscreen and qwerty keyboard. Abracadabra you have your Magnum/Pluto/Dakota.

Only thing which makes me wonder is the screen size. Would people care for a touchscreen if it was the size of the Bold 9700/9650 screen? Would RIM deem a screen of that size to have touch input not practical?

Maybe the Torch is really the end result of Magnum/Pluto/Dakota development. The slider design allowed RIM to place a larger screen on the device since it slides over the keyboard. Whether or not we shall see this device ever released is anyone's guess but as far as the possibility of the device being created, I say 100% possible. It's up to RIM to decide if it was practical.
    08-06-10 10:13 AM
    That was my only wich for the 9650, flick a button: have a touch screen, flick it back: normal Bold...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-10 12:01 PM
    If they would slap an updated processor, double the resolution, quadruple the memory and put it on the 9000 body (and remove the empty space around the screen...there's over a 1/4 inch of wasted space that could be screen) it would be a monster.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-10 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD