04-23-18 07:57 AM
271 ... 45678 ...
tools

Ok... Blast from the waaayy past... Remember the little RIM that pretty much started it all? Two bad blackberry couldn't recall its root and keep building a quality product.
    01-21-18 09:35 PM
    Rather than a scaled up version of the KEYᵒⁿᵉ could maybe it be the same height but wider? 3:2 to 4:3? Both can be KEYᵒⁿᵉ branded and same specs but the 4:3 would be offered as the "note" or "XL" version

Whatever keyboard device is next...-keyone43.jpg
    Last edited by DamianWarS; 01-22-18 at 08:36 AM.
    01-21-18 09:47 PM
    I would think a capacitive navbar would cost more than using pixels. TCL/Blackberry may have found their golden ratio for the size of the device which allowed them space for a capacitive navbar 3:2 screen and keyboard. Removing the capacitive navbar in favour of an onscreen one would probably mean the device should be shorter and maybe this affected the overall "feel" of the device negatively.

Attachment 433526
    Not sure there is any advantage to having a taller device just for the sake of it? To me the shorter one makes more sense. I do understand the reasoning behind a capacitive row...I just happen to find it redundant and unnecessary. Even more so in fact than on a touchscreen, because a pkb device is already replete with 'buttons' as it is. There is such a thing as overdoing it.

I could see your wider option happening. I don't doubt that will most likely be TCL's approach if they try a larger size variant. It would be an easy iterative sidegrade from the existing KeyONE design. That's probably the reason I don't like it. I would prefer they concentrate on refining and improving the existing KeyONE and for a larger screen pkb try something a little more adventurous, in the true spirit of the Passport...
    01-21-18 10:31 PM
    I supposed the 4:3 could go either way a XL or possibly a mini variant.

Whatever keyboard device is next...-bblist.jpg

the XL and Mini mockups only change in size based on the screen and everything else is the same, the BBF100-1 is the exact size of the current KEYone and these devices would be based on the same specs. For those who love their Classic this 4:3 mini is almost the exact same size.
    Last edited by DamianWarS; 01-22-18 at 04:53 PM.
    01-22-18 04:41 PM
    Really? I find the KEYone keyboard to be one of the best ever on a BlackBerry. Much more efficient then the 3 row Passport set up.
    Does the KeyOne have word substitution?

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 04:57 PM
    Does the KeyOne have word substitution?

Posted via CB10
    Of course.
    01-22-18 05:58 PM
    I was expanding the screen width to eliminate the bezels, and going with 3:2. Just under 2" taller. But I still think it's academic, as it's just too small for Android.
    no need to photoshop one someone already made it

Whatever keyboard device is next...-cyrus-chat.jpg

it looks just like a Q10 just with a longer screen. I think it runs Jelly Bean so the argument that it's too small for Android may still be valid for post-lollipop Android.
    Qorax likes this.
    01-25-18 01:37 PM
    I went the other way - a 4:3 screen (minimum allowed). Full keyboard (most popular). Width half way between Passport and KEYᵒⁿᵉ. I'll leave the aesthetics to others.
    I know I'm late to the party but how about placing the apps, home and back buttons on the bottom below the keyboard? Or is that not attractive?
    01-25-18 01:55 PM
    I know I'm late to the party but how about placing the apps, home and back buttons on the bottom below the keyboard? Or is that not attractive?
    Forget attractive - it's not functional. They are too central to the Android experience to be placed so far out of the way.
    01-25-18 01:56 PM
    Forget attractive - it's not functional. They are too central to the Android experience to be placed so far out of the way.
    Only way to find out if it would be usable with back home recents below the keyboard is to try out an S8/S8+ with the PKB case, as that is the layout on it
    01-25-18 01:59 PM
    Only way to find out if it would be usable with back home recents below the keyboard is to try out an S8/S8+ with the PKB case, as that is the layout on it
    And we all know how hopelessly garbage that is.
    01-25-18 02:00 PM
    But aren't they at the bottom traditionally anyway? Now you have me confused.
    01-25-18 02:22 PM
    But aren't they at the bottom traditionally anyway? Now you have me confused.
    They are always above the vkb on a slab.
    01-25-18 02:57 PM
    They are always above the vkb on a slab.
    Not my Oneplus 3T. I have it set to be in the bezel as they've been traditionally in previous years
    Maybe you just need CBK's style Rings lol
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 01-25-18 at 05:59 PM.
    01-25-18 03:26 PM
    4:3 ratio is in risky territory to end up as exclusively two handed device like Passport due to lack of height. Android apps have ridiculous amount of header and footer which eats up the screen and then you have the Android toolbar below footer. BB10 wasn't smart about this either especially in messaging apps like BBM that feature double stacked footer and then the OS toolbar. Whomever said IM app needs text input field on hardware keyboard device wasn't thinking things through.

Anyway try to scale 4:3 screen up to 65mm or 72mm of width to see how big of a screen you get.

And Android toolbar could have easily been hardware buttons on a sidewall of the KeyOne. Too bad no one thought of that one.
    01-29-18 03:12 PM
    4:3 seems alright for screen up to 4.5 inches
    Attached Thumbnails Whatever keyboard device is next...-bez-n-zvu.png  
    01-29-18 03:19 PM
    The Passport keyboard was too good. So good it split the PKB crowd in half. TCL would be wise to at least take a shot at larger screen device with a three row keyboard. I suspect a good chunk of people still on BB10 are rocking a Passport. It was by far their best BB10 device.
    Yup, absolutely love my passport. Best phone ever and I would truly appreciate something similar with Android.

Posted via CB10
    The_Passporter likes this.
    01-29-18 08:33 PM
    with a 4:3 variant it would have to be "KEYone like" with the same keyboard and capacitive nav bars. There is basically 3 versions,

1. same height as the KEYone (97.4mm)
    2. 4.5 inch screen focus
    3. same width as the KEYone (65.2mm)

Whatever keyboard device is next...-passportii.jpg
    jamesharmeling and Qorax like this.
    01-29-18 09:47 PM
    Really? I find the KEYone keyboard to be one of the best ever on a BlackBerry. Much more efficient then the 3 row Passport set up.
    I agree, I used the Passport and couldn't get used to not having my number keys on demand via the alt button. I write a good amount of work emails where I need to use dollar figures and I can tell you that having a standard BlackBerry keyboard is much better and preferred.

That being said I wouldn't mind seeing a bigger version of the KEYᵒⁿᵉ in every way. Taller, wider, 4 row heyboard, premium speakers, I would be buying that device. I would also like to see a new slider PRIV 2, fix everything that was done wrong with the 1st PRIV. I can't see them putting out (2) versions of the KEYᵒⁿᵉ style so a slider is obvious.
    tigrute likes this.
    01-30-18 08:49 AM
    I supposed the 4:3 could go either way a XL or possibly a mini variant.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bblist.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	433552

the XL and Mini mockups only change in size based on the screen and everything else is the same, the BBF100-1 is the exact size of the current KEYone and these devices would be based on the same specs. For those who love their Classic this 4:3 mini is almost the exact same size.
    Having used the Classic for a long time I am a big fan of the smaller form factor - something very hard to find these days.

I am crossing my fingers that they will do what you call a 'mini' version. Would be nice to scale it down a tad....

CB10 on my Classic
    01-31-18 04:07 PM
    I would buy that in a heartbeat!!
    01-31-18 11:13 PM
    Classic is ona verge of being two handed device as well. Q5 is the best example of one handed qwerty phone. XZ1 Compact is another great example of one handed phone.

There is a discussion regarding upcoming sony compact whether is it truly a compact being too tall but keeping the same width while adopting 2:1 ratio.

One handed qwerty needs to employ 3:2 screen if it wants to have height or 4:3 if it wants to keep it on the short side. Anyway KeyOne is too tall of a device for qwerty in my opinion.

Perfect one hand qwerty dimensions are up to 135x68
    02-01-18 05:59 AM
    For the hell of it

Whatever keyboard device is next...-q5-successorartboard-1.jpg

Whatever keyboard device is next...-q5-successorartboard-2.jpg
    02-02-18 03:22 PM
    Classic is ona verge of being two handed device as well. Q5 is the best example of one handed qwerty phone. XZ1 Compact is another great example of one handed phone.

There is a discussion regarding upcoming sony compact whether is it truly a compact being too tall but keeping the same width while adopting 2:1 ratio.

One handed qwerty needs to employ 3:2 screen if it wants to have height or 4:3 if it wants to keep it on the short side. Anyway KeyOne is too tall of a device for qwerty in my opinion.

Perfect one hand qwerty dimensions are up to 135x68
    KEYone in the end was also too tall for me. I do hope the next one will be on the shorter side....but as there seems only be one way with phone sizes these days (Sony being a nice exception), I have little hope.

CB10 on my Classic
    Mrs Teapot likes this.
    02-02-18 05:30 PM
    For the hell of it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	q5 successorArtboard 1.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	404.9 KB 
ID:	433959
    Nice renders.

What's with all the free space on the bottom?

CB10 on my Classic
    Pistooli likes this.
    02-02-18 05:31 PM
271 ... 45678 ...