04-23-18 07:57 AM
271 1234 ...
tools
    But the Z10 was trying to be an iPhone. That format is all but dead, even for Apple. I don't see much of a market for tiny phones...especially not in the price segment BBBMo is targeting.
    You're right about the Z10 being sized to compete with the iPhone. And you may well be right that everyone wants a big phone in 2018.

But. I don't imagine I'll have much use for a phone much larger than the Z10. The KEYone is already large enough that I leave it at home unless I'm taking a bag or backpack.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-16-18 12:54 PM
    You're right about the Z10 being sized to compete with the iPhone. And you may well be right that everyone wants a big phone in 2018.

But. I don't imagine I'll have much use for a phone much larger than the Z10. The KEYone is already large enough that I leave it at home unless I'm taking a bag or backpack.

Well as far as the KeyONE goes I'm not really disagreeing with you...with a sleek bezel-less design it ought to be able to get quite a bit smaller. The hypothetical three row phablet of which I speak would indeed be slightly larger than the current KeyONE, but certainly need not be any bigger than an iPhone 8+ or Pixel 2 XL...or, if you prefer, the size of the Motion give or take a few mm.
    01-16-18 01:25 PM
    Well as far as the KeyONE goes I'm not really disagreeing with you...with a sleek bezel-less design it ought to be able to get quite a bit smaller. The hypothetical three row phablet of which I speak would indeed be slightly larger than the current KeyONE, but certainly need not be any bigger than an iPhone 8+ or Pixel 2 XL.
    For me, it's a binary equation. Either a phone is small enough for comfortable one-handed operation and can fit securely in a
    shirt pocket, or it lives in a bag, in which case I would like it to be as big as possible, up to the size of a Surface Pro.

For me, a KEYone with smaller bezels holds no interest, especially if that makes the screen more likely to crack. I either want a very compact one-handed phone or a tablet-sized one.

01-16-18 01:35 PM
    Tried iphone X for almost an hour very much like it and really wish sooner they would put more and more bb10 gesture and might be multitasking in their updates. I am very much attracted towards it, my Passport is done I am surely gonna buy iphone X but no more BlackDroid . Period

Peace

Posted via CB10
    01-16-18 01:49 PM
    Tried iphone X for almost an hour very much like it and really wish sooner they would put more and more bb10 gesture and might be multitasking in their updates. I am very much attracted towards it, my Passport is done I am surely gonna buy iphone X but no more BlackDroid . Period

Peace

Posted via CB10
    I'll admit I played with one at Best Buy last week and liked how fluid the swiping gesture was. Sales guy saw my K1 in my hand and recognized it. He said they never had the K1 on display but did sell a few.
    01-16-18 02:04 PM
    For illustration purposes this is basically what I am talking about...a Passport style keyboard mounted to a Motion, slightly upsized to the outline of an iPhone 8+. It works. It has wider and more generous keys relative to a KeyONE and yields a full size screen. No compromises. To me, a device like this would be a no brainer to follow in the footsteps of the Passport and a nice complement to the KeyONE.

toneytone likes this.
    01-16-18 02:07 PM
    I'll admit I played with one at Best Buy last week and liked how fluid the swiping gesture was. Sales guy saw my K1 in my hand and recognized it. He said they never had the K1 on display but did sell a few.
    True.. and with time apple will surely add more feature and might be we see not as clean as bb10 but somewhat of it which BlackBerry completely forgot.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-18 02:07 PM
    For illustration purposes this is basically what I am talking about...a Passport style keyboard mounted to a Motion, slightly upsized to the outline of an iPhone 8+. It works. It has wider and more generous keys relative to a KeyONE and yields a full size screen. No compromises. To me, a device like this would be a no brainer to follow in the footsteps of the Passport and a nice complement to the KeyONE.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...335937d03d.jpg
    Neat design. But I'm not sure how you'd hold it up.
    01-16-18 02:11 PM
    Neat design. But I'm not sure how you'd hold it up.
    The same way I hold up an iPhone 8+. Lol.

Admittedly though, they would be well advised to make it thinner and lighter like an iPhone too!
    01-16-18 02:13 PM
    The same way I hold up an iPhone 8+. Lol.
    I understand that, but on a virtual keyboard your hands are slid higher up on the device for typing.

And a 3-row keyboard would have your hands down even further than a traditional physical keyboard.

It might be interesting to make yourself a sample out of a piece of wood and see what happens.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-16-18 02:14 PM
    True.. and with time apple will surely add more feature and might be we see not as clean as bb10 but somewhat of it which BlackBerry completely forgot.

Posted via CB10
    I bet they will develop it into something really nice just like they do with everything else.
    01-16-18 02:35 PM
    I bet they will develop it into something really nice just like they do with everything else.
    Agreed, BlackBerry miss Apple hits, I don't even mind if apple could come close to bb10 and says its their idea.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-18 02:36 PM
    Agreed, BlackBerry miss Apple hits, I don't even mind if apple could come close to bb10 and says its their idea.

Posted via CB10
    They are on to something. And I think their swipe is a bit nicer in how it was done.
    01-16-18 03:04 PM
    I understand that, but on a virtual keyboard your hands are slid higher up on the device for typing.

And a 3-row keyboard would have your hands down even further than a traditional physical keyboard.

It might be interesting to make yourself a sample out of a piece of wood and see what happens.
    Conite is correct I think. Some users already feel that the device is top heavy. You would have to likely be wider and shorter. The other point being that you still have to conform to accepted screen ratios allowed by Android.

It is not what fans want but rather what will carriers want to sell in the USA. Such a device would need to have broad appeal. I do not see TCL taking a leap from their current conservative design principles.
    01-16-18 03:33 PM

Nice try. As with ANY device, for typing it is generally most comfortable resting at the centre of gravity (ie. the middle). An iPhone 8 plus (my reference design) and a Passport weigh almost exactly the same...about 200 grams. The only issue therefore, is not the moment force exherted on the hands, but the reach to the keys. For anyone except the tiny-handed, I doubt this would be an issue. At any rate, my hypothetical device would be barely 1cm taller than a KeyONE and only 20g heavier. The centre of gravity only differs from a Passport by 17mm. Yet it has a full size screen.

If you want to talk top heavy and barely useable pkb, it would better for you to proceed to the EOL section, PRIV forum...
    Qorax likes this.
    01-16-18 03:39 PM
    I want to see somewhere in between, a Passport like keyboard but not 3 row. A little wider than KEYone, but the same 'feeling' and style as Passport. Seems it would be the best balance. That said, I don't hate the KEYone keyboard either. I don't really ever look at it and think 'Gee, I wish this was more like the 9000/9900/Q10/Classic'.
    Bbnivende, Qorax, AmritD and 1 others like this.
    01-16-18 04:24 PM
    I want to see somewhere in between, a Passport like keyboard but not 3 row. A little wider than KEYone, but the same 'feeling' and style as Passport. Seems it would be the best balance. That said, I don't hate the KEYone keyboard either. I don't really ever look at it and think 'Gee, I wish this was more like the 9000/9900/Q10/Classic'.
    Oh, oh, Mr Kotta!
    Last edited by conite; 01-16-18 at 05:01 PM.
    01-16-18 04:32 PM
    Close.. but the keys are off. They need to be flatter, smoothed out like Passport SE.
    sebstarr likes this.
    01-16-18 04:36 PM
    The KEYone is my first PKB since the Passport, which was my first PKB since the Bold 9900. Before that I used a bunch of corporate issue BlackBerry phones. I find the KEYone keyboard to be very, very good, and I love the availability of the VKB for additional characters.

Now if only we could do something about that tumor-like screen growing out of the keyboard!

Bbnivende likes this.
    01-16-18 04:42 PM
    Come on...you call that a design? Lol. Anyway you guys missed my point....the three row pkb gets you a full size screen! None of this 2:3 ratio BS...
    Qorax likes this.
    01-16-18 05:06 PM
    Come on...you call that a design? Lol. Anyway you guys missed my point....the three row pkb gets you a full size screen! None of this 2:3 ratio BS...
    If it isn't top heavy, that is a benefit, especially for video.

01-16-18 05:09 PM
    I went the other way - a 4:3 screen (minimum allowed). Full keyboard (most popular). Width half way between Passport and KEYᵒⁿᵉ. I'll leave the aesthetics to others.
    01-16-18 05:13 PM
    I went the other way - a 4:3 screen (minimum allowed). Full keyboard (most popular). Width half way between Passport and KEYᵒⁿᵉ. I'll leave the aesthetics to others.
    What I was getting at is yours is just basically just a scaled up KeyONE! Honestly I thought you were joking. Anyway not sure there would be much commercial value in such an endeavour, even if BBMo really was that unoriginal...I still think a true full screen with a PKB is a better approach.
    01-16-18 05:33 PM
    What I was getting at is yours is just basically just a scaled up KeyONE! Honestly I thought you were joking. Anyway not sure there would be much commercial value in such an endeavour, even if BBMo really was that unoriginal...
    Like I wrote, I'll leave the design details for others. I was just demonstrating a form factor that is probably as close to a Passport as Android will allow - with a proper full keyboard.
    Kraeutermann likes this.
    01-16-18 05:36 PM
    That's what I need!!
    01-16-18 05:58 PM
271 1234 ...