04-23-18 08:57 AM
271 ... 91011
tools
    Well, assuming that Athena is the KeyOne replacement, what are the odds the second one might be a larger phone, or are we really just looking at updates to existing products now?
    04-11-18 06:33 PM
    Well, assuming that Athena is the KeyOne replacement, what are the odds the second one might be a larger phone, or are we really just looking at updates to existing products now?
    Not sure of course, but I suspect a KEYtwo regular and pro.
    04-11-18 06:37 PM
    Yeah, i'm with you on that. And better mics as well. Stereo would be a bonus but not a deal breaker.
    Stereo speakers with a better antenna .....I'm good with that.
    guygardner73 likes this.
    04-11-18 07:45 PM
    Not sure of course, but I suspect a KEYtwo regular and pro.
    I'm wondering what "Pro" means for TCL. Better processor, better camera, more memory, bigger battery, larger screen - leaves me tempted but also confused as it could simply be "prettier without any substance".
    04-11-18 08:15 PM
    Hahaha! Now THIS is the definition of "top heavy". Please let it never happen.
    04-13-18 08:27 AM
    I'm expecting to see a KEYTWO with 4gig Ram and 64GB internal storage and a KEYtwo PRO with 6 Gig Ram and 128GB internal storage. The leaked renders should be quite acurate and I believe one extra new hardware feature will make an appearance on both of the handsets.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    04-14-18 09:02 AM
    I'm expecting to see a KEYTWO with 4gig Ram and 64GB internal storage and a KEYtwo PRO with 6 Gig Ram and 128GB internal storage. The leaked renders should be quite acurate and I believe one extra new hardware feature will make an appearance on both of the handsets.
    You may be right but this all doesn't seem very smart to me. The KeyOne came out what a year ago? The average cell phone cycle is 2 years on a contract for average users. So are most people that bought a KeyOne gonna jump right on a KeyTwo and then you have a KeyTwo Pro option. Maybe Apple can get away with that but I don't see that move being very successful personally.

Maybe sliders are even more niche than the KeyOne form factor but at least there's a bunch of Priv users who are ready for their 2 year upgrade whereas whatever niche market there is for the KeyTwo probably are already using KeyOne for another year. Now I know there's Blackberry fans ready to jump on the next new thing regardless but...
    04-14-18 10:39 AM
    You make some interesting and sensible observations.

Personally, I think that due to non existent carrier support for BlackBerry, the Two years upgrade cycle goes out the window and they know that BlackBerry handset fans are hungry for new hardware.

It's interesting reading comments about a new slider aka the Priv 2 because those who have been in the Crackberry forums for more than 3 years, will be aware of the numerous arguments made against and in favor of the durability of a BlackBerry slider phone and the impact of the design on the physical keypad part of that phone.

I believe I argued against the durability of this design choice and it seems that many users of the Priv did not enjoy the low key travel of its slider keyboard.
    04-14-18 11:08 AM
    You make some interesting and sensible observations.

Personally, I think that due to non existent carrier support for BlackBerry, the Two years upgrade cycle goes out the window and they know that BlackBerry handset fans are hungry for new hardware.

It's interesting reading comments about a new slider aka the Priv 2 because those who have been in the Crackberry forums for more than 3 years, will be aware of the numerous arguments made against and in favor of the durability of a BlackBerry slider phone and the impact of the design on the physical keypad part of that phone.

I believe I argued against the durability of this design choice and it seems that many users of the Priv did not enjoy the low key travel of its slider keyboard.
    I've used android sliders since the G1 and now the Priv. Never had one with a durability issue but I did break the screen on my last Priv dropping it face down in ballast (joys of working on the railroad). Anyway, I do agree that the keyboard suffered on the Priv but I think that's due to them focussing more on making the phone thin than actually making a decent keyboard under the slideout.
    04-14-18 11:23 AM
    You are so mean

How could you bring your precious and beautiful Priv-ena to the dirty old man filled rail road. This is totally unacceptable treatment

On a serious note, I would be very pleased to see a Priv like form factor come back to the line up.

I'm just concerned that to get the build quality and materials right, the handset would need to cost upwards of £800, something I'm not sure many BlackBerry diehards let alone the general public could swallow.
    Trisk333 likes this.
    04-14-18 11:37 AM
    I think we have enough keyboard phones to last for years. They need to concentrate on all touch devices moving forward, unless they don't care about sales. Physical keyboard phones won't get you the sales needed for TCL to remain profitable.
    04-20-18 07:18 PM
    I think we have enough keyboard phones to last for years. They need to concentrate on all touch devices moving forward, unless they don't care about sales. Physical keyboard phones won't get you the sales needed for TCL to remain profitable.
    If that's your strategy, then keep PKB devices as a niche, but also expand beyond the mid-range motion into low and high end slabs in a long-shot effort to compete with Samsung and the like. Problem is, TCL is still low end and doesn't have the buying power for great hardware. If I ran TCL, which I don't, I'd target Alcatel and Palm branded devices on the low end, and BlackBerry Mobile ones as mid-range and high end flagship devices.

Posted via CB10 from my 100-4 Passport SE
    04-20-18 07:53 PM
    But BlackBerry Motion failed without PKB. Only keyone was making profit.
    04-20-18 08:07 PM
    But BlackBerry Motion failed without PKB. Only keyone was making profit.
    Hard to conclude when we don't know what the sales targets or objectives are/were.

My thought was that it was a limited run to test the waters, AND to have something to offer enterprise if they ask for slabs to complement the more popular KEYᵒⁿᵉ.
    krazyatom likes this.
    04-20-18 08:12 PM
    Hard to conclude when we don't know what the sales targets or objectives are/were.

My thought was that it was a limited run to test the waters, AND to have something to offer enterprise if they ask for slabs to complement the more popular KEYᵒⁿᵉ.
    Did you buy a motion too?
    04-20-18 09:21 PM
    Did you buy a motion too?
    I took a pass on this one for now. Waiting for the key2.

After the KEYᵒⁿᵉ, I'd find it very hard to go back to a slab.
    04-20-18 09:40 PM
    BlackBerry Mobile only makin VKB for the next few years? :-/
    04-20-18 10:01 PM
    I think we have enough keyboard phones to last for years.
    Enough keyboard phones? Lol so your definition of enough keyboard phones for years is:

KEYone
    Samsung S8 + PKB case
    Priv which is already EOL
    Even more EOL BB10 devices

IPhysical keyboard phones won't get you the sales needed for TCL to remain profitable.
    Right, because the DTEK's and Motion sold soo well, right??

I'm sure people all over the world were rushing out to buy them on launch date when they heard BB finally made a slab. I'm sure 95% of the 850k BB's sold in 2017 were slabs.

Except...

Not!
    Uglyindian and Kraeutermann like this.
    04-22-18 02:14 AM
    You may be right but this all doesn't seem very smart to me. The KeyOne came out what a year ago? The average cell phone cycle is 2 years on a contract for average users. So are most people that bought a KeyOne gonna jump right on a KeyTwo and then you have a KeyTwo Pro option. Maybe Apple can get away with that but I don't see that move being very successful personally.

Maybe sliders are even more niche than the KeyOne form factor but at least there's a bunch of Priv users who are ready for their 2 year upgrade whereas whatever niche market there is for the KeyTwo probably are already using KeyOne for another year. Now I know there's Blackberry fans ready to jump on the next new thing regardless but...
    Average user doesn't by phone via two years contracts in many countries.

US are not the only place in the world, and probably not TCL main target.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-18 01:31 PM
    Average user doesn't by phone via two years contracts in many countries.

US are not the only place in the world, and probably not TCL main target.

Posted via CB10
    US replacement cycle is now 30 months and predicted to continue at that for some time (at least until 2022).

The global average is 21 months.

It might be counterintuitive, but makes sense when you consider that there are more premium devices sold in the US - which makes them last longer.

https://www.counterpointresearch.com...ty-one-months/
    Last edited by conite; 04-22-18 at 03:17 PM.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    04-22-18 03:06 PM

Good point made here, there is going to have to be a bigger draw than memory and RAM upgrades for me to move from my KEYone to the new device. I have been on the silver KEYone with Verizon since release and it handles all my needs perfectly.

That's why I always thought it would be a good idea to drop a KEYtwo and a PRIV replacement. I think you would have original PRIV owners upgrading as well as some slab lovers looking to make a change. It's obvious we aren't getting a new slider so the two versions of the KEYtwo is what I think we will have to settle for.
    Trisk333 likes this.
    04-23-18 08:57 AM
271 ... 91011