Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
07-30-19 11:56 PM
248 ... 78910
tools
    There’s a good possibility that another phone couldn’t happen. BlackBerry and Nokia have been, with some other second tier (and third) OEMs, experiencing moderate sales in middle space. With Android/iOS shift to mid tier, supply/demand curve may shift against BBMo/TCL model profitability.

Other problems include waiting lists or unavailability for the highest demand mid tier SOC like what happens in flagship space. As usual, be thankful if there’s another device and you’ll take what you get. If not, buy whatever competitor you like.

One thing BBMo/TCL has proven is they’re far better at this OEM thing compared to BB with it’s BB10 epic fail. Notice the absence of heavily discounted unsold hardware..

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...of-the-market/

Who said Nokia or BBMo were profitable?

I think that much like the PC market back fifteen years ago... it's going to be good for buyers as these all try to stay alive. But another few years we will have five of six big brands remaining - maybe only three or four actual manufactures left... and prices won't be as cut throat at that point.

The trick is who can make a profit selling hardware now...
    05-24-19 08:11 AM
    https://www.techrepublic.com/article...of-the-market/

Who said Nokia or BBMo were profitable?

I think that much like the PC market back fifteen years ago... it's going to be good for buyers as these all try to stay alive. But another few years we will have five of six big brands remaining - maybe only three or four actual manufactures left... and prices won't be as cut throat at that point.

The trick is who can make a profit selling hardware now...
    I was referring to any profitability even if only existing in the future. I’m simply referencing that BBMo and Nokia started out mid tier in their reincarnations of recent but the giants, Apple, Google and Samsung may suck all the oxygen from the room.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-24-19 08:21 AM
    There’s a good possibility that another phone couldn’t happen. BlackBerry and Nokia have been, with some other second tier (and third) OEMs, experiencing moderate sales in middle space. With Android/iOS shift to mid tier, supply/demand curve may shift against BBMo/TCL model profitability.

Other problems include waiting lists or unavailability for the highest demand mid tier SOC like what happens in flagship space. As usual, be thankful if there’s another device and you’ll take what you get. If not, buy whatever competitor you like.

One thing BBMo/TCL has proven is they’re far better at this OEM thing compared to BB with it’s BB10 epic fail. Notice the absence of heavily discounted unsold hardware..
    I do hope that it could. I know it's harder competing in midrange than flagship. Because any chinese phone these days could easily put SD675 or 710 at $280. So blackberry should be serious to sell its value, if not, they will end up depending on its "only current existing small userbase" for hardware profit.
    Gene Fells likes this.
    05-25-19 08:25 AM
    I do hope that it could. I know it's harder competing in midrange than flagship. Because any chinese phone these days could easily put SD675 or 710 at $280. So blackberry should be serious to sell its value, if not, they will end up depending on its "only current existing small userbase" for hardware profit.
    It's blackberry mobile, saying blackberry confuses people because blackberry limited is software-security only.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    John Albert likes this.
    05-25-19 05:15 PM
    Cannot give more information, as I don't want the person in question to be in trouble. Although it seems that October announcement is being shared quite openly here in China.
    Did the person in question mention anything about Pie for the Key2? Before or after said announcement?
    RK_BB and John Albert like this.
    05-25-19 05:25 PM
    Unfortunately, the PKB will probably, eventually become the only long-term differentiation. If people could buy just PKB with straight Android with $50-75 BBTax, you might see additional traction but it might be too little margin...
    05-25-19 05:31 PM
    It's blackberry mobile, saying blackberry confuses people because blackberry limited is software-security only.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    I mean, profit from licensing software (BlackBerry android) to TCL's hardware
    Unfortunately, the PKB will probably, eventually become the only long-term differentiation. If people could buy just PKB with straight Android with $50-75 BBTax, you might see additional traction but it might be too little margin...
    I believe TCL could sell midrange pkb phone for around 300-450$ without blackberry android on it. The BlackBerry tax is taking to much money added
    05-25-19 09:39 PM
    I mean, profit from licensing software (BlackBerry android) to TCL's hardwareI believe TCL could sell midrange pkb phone for around 300-450$ without blackberry android on it. The BlackBerry tax is taking to much money added
    "Introducing the all new Alcatel KEY3, featuring non-capacitive flat generic keys, an alcatel logo in the back, and a cheap skin on top of Android. "

Would be really "meh", but still a lot better than nothing.
    chain13 likes this.
    05-25-19 10:05 PM
    "Introducing the all new Alcatel KEY3, featuring non-capacitive flat generic keys, an alcatel logo in the back, and a cheap skin on top of Android. "

Would be really "meh", but still a lot better than nothing.
    Nah. Chinese android skins are mostly intuitive.
    05-26-19 05:11 AM
    I mean, profit from licensing software (BlackBerry android) to TCL's hardwareI believe TCL could sell midrange pkb phone for around 300-450$ without blackberry android on it. The BlackBerry tax is taking to much money added
    That’s what I’m referring to. Question is though, do carriers want to bother if probable level of profits are too low for the hassle. No carriers equal little to no sales and little product support.
    05-26-19 06:06 AM
    That’s what I’m referring to. Question is though, do carriers want to bother if probable level of profits are too low for the hassle. No carriers equal little to no sales and little product support.
    It’s all about profits.
    Carriers are not fanboys.
    05-26-19 07:03 AM
    No carriers equal little to no sales and little product support.
    Maybe that's true for the US, but there are other markets too lol
    05-26-19 07:43 AM
    Maybe that's true for the US, but there are other markets too lol
    If the USA market doesn’t control the system, then why does anyone care about the OEM embargo against OEMs that have no real carrier presence in the USA market?

The USA retail carrier system basically creates an ecosystem that helps support other different retail models.
    05-26-19 09:45 AM
    It’s all about profits.
    Carriers are not fanboys.
    BlackBerry was the only company that I know of that operated as Nonprofit for so long. Although I don’t believe Nonprofit is their mission statement.
    TgeekB and whatnow00 like this.
    05-26-19 09:48 AM
    https://www.yugatech.com/events-inte...vO3QyR9bTvP.97

Can Monet be one of the flexible devices with magic keyboard concept that he mentioned? Or is it too early for that?

Looks like BlackBerry is also working on a full touch device!
    05-27-19 02:00 AM
    https://www.yugatech.com/events-inte...vO3QyR9bTvP.97

Can Monet be one of the flexible devices with magic keyboard concept that he mentioned? Or is it too early for that?

Looks like BlackBerry is also working on a full touch device!
    It's in the same train of thought as 5G and AI, i.e. probably not soon.
    05-27-19 08:06 AM
    Almost EOL
    05-27-19 03:04 PM
    If the USA market doesn’t control the system, then why does anyone care about the OEM embargo against OEMs that have no real carrier presence in the USA market?

The USA retail carrier system basically creates an ecosystem that helps support other different retail models.
    Indonesia and India were once huge markets for PKB phones too... Hard to believe the the JioPhone 2 was the only PKB they could come up with.
    05-28-19 07:20 AM
    Indonesia and India were once huge markets for PKB phones too... Hard to believe the the JioPhone 2 was the only PKB they could come up with.
    If they launch the JioPhone in the US, I'll switch immediately. Not because it's great, but because it's better than either Android or iOS for me.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-28-19 01:04 PM
    If they launch the JioPhone in the US, I'll switch immediately. Not because it's great, but because it's better than either Android or iOS for me.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Does the JioPhone 2 have the required bands for the US?

If yes, you can try to find a way to import one I guess

But design wise, it's a poor version of a E72 or even Curve.

Might as well just use a Classic? But then the Jio 2 probably has much better battery life
    05-28-19 01:11 PM
    Does the JioPhone 2 have the required bands for the US?

If yes, you can try to find a way to import one I guess

But design wise, it's a poor version of a E72 or even Curve.

Might as well just use a Classic? But then the Jio 2 probably has much better battery life
    No it is a very basic phone for Reliance market, LTE Band 3, 5, 40, 2G Band- 900/1800 .. guess no 3G at all.

It's hard to get them... as they only sell them via flash sales. Don't even see one on eBay.

Yes Classic is a better option if you are in the US...
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 05-28-19 at 02:51 PM.
    05-28-19 01:31 PM
    TCL please hire ex BlackBerry camera developer who used to frequent crackberry goes by SMCV. just him and a couple more guys will make a huge difference to the quality of your phone cameras. Just gonna leave this here. Kay thanks bye.
    Sigewif and Jake2826 like this.
    05-28-19 02:47 PM
    TCL please hire ex BlackBerry camera developer who used to frequent crackberry goes by SMCV. just him and a couple more guys will make a huge difference to the quality of your phone cameras. Just gonna leave this here. Kay thanks bye.
    Him and a few more guys... might add a lot of cost to these bouquet phones.

Mid-grade phones in general seem to have issues.... even mighty Nokia has had problems with some of their phones.
    John Albert likes this.
    05-28-19 02:52 PM

Mid-grade phones in general seem to have issues.... even mighty Nokia has had problems with some of their phones.
    True. But I would start off with him. I remember him mentioning somewhere on this forum that he was a one man show towards the end of his stint and he still made a huge difference.

One could wish.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    05-28-19 03:01 PM

IIRC many of the former Microsoft Mobile imaging team ended up at Huawei and Apple after the closure which likely explains their leaps in recent years. I'm not sure how many ended up at HMD Global or how much collaboration there is with Nokia's own imaging team.
    05-28-19 03:22 PM
248 ... 78910