07-30-19 11:56 PM
248 ... 678910
tools
    I wish i knew, I'm as curious as you are. But I know nothing more. Let's hope some leaks come to us soon
    Thank you, and please, keep us posted.
    05-22-19 04:57 AM
    Regardless of what everyone wants or thinks. BBMo has the data for Key # features optimization. It also has the cost and components availability schedule.

If any carriers have made any purchase commitments, this will take priority over practically everything I listed above. There will be most likely, just a single device for the point of maximum volume and profits. Think mid tier and slight camera improvement, just enough to say improved but that’s it.
    05-22-19 06:22 AM
    The ability to take a decent shot of an whiteboard/flipchart or some stuff down on the work floor is nowadays a business necessity even to most executives.
    I agree. I've never had a problem with that on my 6-year old Z10 or KEYone.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-22-19 06:46 AM
    It is important not to have too narrow of a focus (ahem) when it comes to specs, since the niche market for BlackBerry PKB devices is already considered limited. A really great camera will add to the appeal for more prospective customers.
    I don't care about PKBs, so I'm not sure what you mean. As for photos, we use professional photographers for all photos used in marketing. Other than some professional head shots and action shots of me presenting at conferences, I don't need any photos for marketing.

If you like or need a high quality camera on your phone, that's great, but stop trying to tell me I do. LOL

05-22-19 06:50 AM
    I was hoping it was something that could keep up with the other people at work, K1 didn't last and K2 has to be reset at least once minimum while everyone sits and watch's and we all giggle about a "BlackBerry break" lol
    05-22-19 08:30 PM
    I was hoping it was something that could keep up with the other people at work, K1 didn't last and K2 has to be reset at least once minimum while everyone sits and watch's and we all giggle about a "BlackBerry break" lol
    What do you mean by your KEYone and KEY2 "didnt last" ?
    05-22-19 08:33 PM
    My K1 started falling apart and would get very hot when being used, and my K2 is still running (on it now) but it just doesn't keep up to the newer phones. It would be nice to have a premium spec phone out of BlackBerry branded TCL, as well as these lower grade phones. Even "for business" they are falling quickly behind.
    05-22-19 08:42 PM
    My K1 started falling apart and would get very hot when being used, and my K2 is still running (on it now) but it just doesn't keep up to the newer phones. It would be nice to have a premium spec phone out of BlackBerry branded TCL, as well as these lower grade phones. Even "for business" they are falling quickly behind.
    I use an iPhone XR, sixth gen iPad on WiFi only, fifth gen iPad on AT&T, KEYone 3/32 AT&T, KEYone 4/64 BE and the only device that struggles is my 3/32 KEYone because it’s at 90% internal storage capacity since I don’t use an SD card.

I have no idea what you mean by it doesn’t keep up with newer phones. The Key2 is 6/128 so I’m not sure what you’re comparing too but perhaps an ultra Flagship or Gaming device?
    05-22-19 08:49 PM
    Potential new device, and new Verizon-branded LE. Hell ya!
    Had Verizon gotten on board earlier I possibly would have replaced my priv with a key
    05-22-19 08:52 PM
    We have to run proprietary software on our devices, our BB10's worked well with it ( I still run my passport ) and out of everyone who went to K1 when it came out I'm the last BlackBerry person... been a BlackBerry man since '99
    05-22-19 09:12 PM
    If the KEY2 is not fast enough for your usage, then congrats, you are part of the 1% of smartphone users who need a snapdragon 845/855 lol
    05-22-19 09:19 PM
    Oh trust me I'm not that fast lol... its just the software that wrecks havoc on my lil berry as opposed to my associates S10's etc
    05-22-19 09:23 PM
    A premium K3 would be nice as well as offering a mid range device
    05-22-19 09:24 PM
    I don't care about PKBs, so I'm not sure what you mean. As for photos, we use professional photographers for all photos used in marketing. Other than some professional head shots and action shots of me presenting at conferences, I don't need any photos for marketing.

If you like or need a high quality camera on your phone, that's great, but stop trying to tell me I do. LOL

I am not trying to tell you that you personally need a good quality camera. But there are many who do, and I dare say, the majority want it. By having a feature many need and/or want, BlackBerry phones can become a viable choice for more people. There are thousands of small businesses. And most entrepreneurs like us, unlike you, do not have expensive professional photographers we hire or have in house. I am the photo team in our business. I use my phone to take my photos. In our business, and several others I know, the photo of "what is happening" and the random, photo of my products have great appeal. One of my friends, for example, is a florist. Most of her marketing is with photos that are spur of the moment life style cell phone photos she posts on social media. She is good at what she does and her business is flourishing.
    PS: As for comments about the PKB--they are general and specific both. Generally: TCL BlackBerry phones, of course, have a niche market with their PKB phones. Specifically : PKB is one of the main draws for me when it comes to BlackBerrys.
    05-23-19 02:42 AM
    I am not trying to tell you that you personally need a good quality camera. But there are many who do, and I dare say, the majority want it. By having a feature many need and/or want, BlackBerry phones can become a viable choice for more people. There are thousands of small businesses. And most entrepreneurs like us, unlike you, do not have expensive professional photographers we hire or have in house. I am the photo team in our business. I use my phone to take my photos. In our business, and several others I know, the photo of "what is happening" and the random, photo of my products have great appeal. One of my friends, for example, is a florist. Most of her marketing is with photos that are spur of the moment life style cell phone photos she posts on social media. She is good at what she does and her business is flourishing.
    PS: As for comments about the PKB--they are general and specific both. Generally: TCL BlackBerry phones, of course, have a niche market with their PKB phones. Specifically : PKB is one of the main draws for me when it comes to BlackBerrys.
    The PKB feature is not desired that much surely not by most. However it’s part of the BBTax so you’re not getting the profit margin lower.

Like the other person above you that wants higher processor specs. Just for the minute, let’s pretend that Samsung licensed BB instead of TCL so access to everything is possible. You’d still find $100-$150 higher price on the fantasy Key# we’ve imagined over an S10 retail price. In order for Samsung to achieve even that pricing scale, they’d have to produce larger batches that wouldn’t sell. That’s old BB model. That’s why PRIV failed in part. The BB PKB, and BB licensing actually decrease value for most consumers. Additionally, carriers wouldn’t support the unicorn device since the ROI won’t be there for either themselves or the OEM regarding promotional expenses as spent on S10 now.

The problem is the niche population that will purchase the BB licensed hardware is tiny and expensive to serve. It starts at $150 price tax disadvantage and then it enjoys no carrier support because of the lack of consumer support.

The XR, Pixel3a, S10e and the other mid tier devices introduced recently confirm where the current and future consumer support exists with carrier support and OEMs responding to specifically that demand. The OEMs are struggling to maintain Flagship business. BBMo/TCL, luckily, doesn’t have that problem. Unfortunately, because of the sales demand conditions, premium space isn’t large enough to be operated profitably.
    05-23-19 07:25 AM
    The PKB feature is not desired that much surely not by most. However it’s part of the BBTax so you’re not getting the profit margin lower.

Like the other person above you that wants higher processor specs. Just for the minute, let’s pretend that Samsung licensed BB instead of TCL so access to everything is possible. You’d still find $100-$150 higher price on the fantasy Key# we’ve imagined over an S10 retail price. In order for Samsung to achieve even that pricing scale, they’d have to produce larger batches that wouldn’t sell. That’s old BB model. That’s why PRIV failed in part. The BB PKB, and BB licensing actually decrease value for most consumers. Additionally, carriers wouldn’t support the unicorn device since the ROI won’t be there for either themselves or the OEM regarding promotional expenses as spent on S10 now.

The problem is the niche population that will purchase the BB licensed hardware is tiny and expensive to serve. It starts at $150 price tax disadvantage and then it enjoys no carrier support because of the lack of consumer support.

The XR, Pixel3a, S10e and the other mid tier devices introduced recently confirm where the current and future consumer support exists with carrier support and OEMs responding to specifically that demand. The OEMs are struggling to maintain Flagship business. BBMo/TCL, luckily, doesn’t have that problem. Unfortunately, because of the sales demand conditions, premium space isn’t large enough to be operated profitably.
    And yet BBMo last year said they wanted 3%-5% of the premium space....
    05-23-19 08:27 AM
    I'm sure they still do!
    05-23-19 08:40 AM
    Yes. That's what they stated as a goal, though without any time frame. Either they are failing outright, and the goal is no longer relevant, or they are comfortable that they are not losing too much money, they are realistic about the state of the market and they are prepared to take their time reestablishing the brand and the relationships with distributors needed to meet that goal.

I personally never thought that they could get to that number without 1) taking > 5 years to reestablish the brand; 2) going through 4-5 generations of phones; 3) relaunching VKBs or some innovative form factor at some point.

What I don't know is their sales volume and P&L for the KEY phones and what the break-even point is. In the absence of that, time will tell.

05-23-19 08:43 AM
    They can say anything, their actions speak a very different message. I’d say the industry has been watching BBMo and Nokia products entry as well as their own data. Those awful flagship numbers came out and yet XR, S10e and Pixel3a were already offered for sale or just around the corner.

BBMo/TCL has shown better understanding of where to be in the mobile space. I suspect BBMo and BB licensing in general hasn’t been about the hardware as much relationships.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the licensing hasn’t been a way to get ahead of current geopolitics. It may still not be far enough ahead but, they’ve avoided the only publicity that could ever be considered deadly.
    05-23-19 08:43 AM
    They were referring to devices costing more than $400. BlackBerry was intended to be above the Alcatel. Buick vs Chevrolet .

It appears that BlackBerry may limited to PKB phones with Alcatel for low and midrange devices.
    05-23-19 09:11 AM
    They were referring to devices costing more than $400. BlackBerry was intended to be above the Alcatel. Buick vs Chevrolet .

It appears that BlackBerry may limited to PKB phones with Alcatel for low and midrange devices.
    Alcatel is a property of Nokia, and TCL is also paying license fees for that.
    05-23-19 09:23 AM

Chuck had said that "premium space isn’t large enough to be operated profitably". Which I do agree with for BBMo, it's just that what BBMo calls premium (was in the same article I pulled the quote from) isn't what most outsiders would call premium.

BlackBerry intended to sell to Enterprise, who tends to look more closely at Security, Support and longevity than top of the line specs (but they do pay for premium devices - 5 years of support makes a $1000 device cheaper than one half the price with only 2 years of support). In that world the $150+/- BlackBerry tax might have been viable - for premium security devices. Outside that world... clearly SLABS with the BBTAX aren't viable, and even PKB are having issues... had to move to longer update schedule (maybe).
    chain13 likes this.
    05-23-19 10:19 AM
    We have to run proprietary software on our devices, our BB10's worked well with it ( I still run my passport ) and out of everyone who went to K1 when it came out I'm the last BlackBerry person... been a BlackBerry man since '99
    second last :-)
    05-24-19 02:39 AM
    If it’s a mid premium phone, it’d better be equipped with at least sd710 (not sd600 series). Because blackberry likely will price it at $600 or more.
    05-24-19 03:10 AM
    If it’s a mid premium phone, it’d better be equipped with at least sd710 (not sd600 series). Because blackberry likely will price it at $600 or more.
    There’s a good possibility that another phone couldn’t happen. BlackBerry and Nokia have been, with some other second tier (and third) OEMs, experiencing moderate sales in middle space. With Android/iOS shift to mid tier, supply/demand curve may shift against BBMo/TCL model profitability.

Other problems include waiting lists or unavailability for the highest demand mid tier SOC like what happens in flagship space. As usual, be thankful if there’s another device and you’ll take what you get. If not, buy whatever competitor you like.

One thing BBMo/TCL has proven is they’re far better at this OEM thing compared to BB with it’s BB10 epic fail. Notice the absence of heavily discounted unsold hardware..
    the_boon likes this.
    05-24-19 06:50 AM
248 ... 678910