04-24-18 09:59 AM
315 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Seems like it's Juno.

But wait, sometimes ago there were rumor that Huawei is going to make BB10 device. Does anybody know anything about it?

Posted via my BlackBerry Classic
    11-26-17 03:28 PM
    Seems like it's Juno.

But wait, sometimes ago there were rumor that Huawei is going to make BB10 device. Does anybody know anything about it?

Posted via my BlackBerry Classic
    https://crackberry.com/blackberry-si...ow4jxISHtUR.97

Probably the closest thing to that rumour

Posted via CB10
    11-26-17 05:31 PM
    Editing the text within the browser.
    With TCL Communications undergoing some major internal restructuring due to their financial difficulties and having to sell off a 49% stake in the company for only $65 Million USD. I almost wonder if the Motion is BlackBerry Mobile's DTEK60, it was just too late to cancel (or put on hold). And a few rumors about that promised third device being in development keeps questions about the Motions limited release and BlackBerry Mobile's future from being questioned. Because right now, I doubt that TCL even knows fully what changes they'll have to make going forward.
    11-27-17 03:14 PM
    With TCL Communications undergoing some major internal restructuring due to their financial difficulties and having to sell off a 49% stake in the company for only $65 Million USD. I almost wonder if the Motion is BlackBerry Mobile's DTEK60, it was just too late to cancel (or put on hold). And a few rumors about that promised third device being in development keeps questions about the Motions limited release and BlackBerry Mobile's future from being questioned. Because right now, I doubt that TCL even knows fully what changes they'll have to make going forward.
    As long as we get Android O, I can live with my K1-Black if TCL pulls out of BB license. LOL!
    11-27-17 04:21 PM
    How much would be the price of the bbf100-1? If they keep the housing of the KEYone, the produce price wouldn't be too high right?
    11-29-17 06:49 PM
    You keep talking about this, but TCL and its assorted related companies are still huge overall. The business structure itself is just an accounting shell game.

They have tons of money, tons of sales, and tons of employees overall. They won't be going anywhere short, medium, or long term.
    ray689 likes this.
    11-29-17 07:08 PM
    You keep talking about this, but TCL and its assorted related companies are still huge overall. The business structure itself is just an accounting shell game.

They have tons of money, tons of sales, and tons of employees overall. They won't be going anywhere short, medium, or long term.
    This is true but the poster you responded to isnt looking at the whole.
    11-29-17 07:12 PM
    This is true but the poster you responded to isnt looking at the whole.
    That's sort of my point. You can't really look at things in isolation as the breakdown is somewhat arbitrary. The overall company still does over $3 billion USD of business a year.
    ray689 likes this.
    11-29-17 07:16 PM
    Do you know if there's are any scheduled BBM events at the upcoming CES?
    11-30-17 05:38 AM
    How much would be the price of the bbf100-1? If they keep the housing of the KEYone, the produce price wouldn't be too high right?
    with the pixel $100 bucks more (CAD) than the black edition there's not a lot of room for a price increase. If this is a KEYone sequel they shouldn't touch the price
    MrChiezy likes this.
    11-30-17 06:12 AM
    Do you know if there's are any scheduled BBM events at the upcoming CES?
    The finalised exhibitor list for CES 2018 only came out this morning, of all times! Both BlackBerry Limited and TCL Corporation are both listed (see here). It looks encouraging, although a large proportion of any appearance is liable to be TCL's budget TVs...
    11-30-17 07:02 AM
    That's sort of my point. You can't really look at things in isolation as the breakdown is somewhat arbitrary. The overall company still does over $3 billion USD of business a year.
    But it's pretty clear that the parent company isn't planning on propping up this subsidiary/company/division... or they wouldn't have just sold of a 49% stake for so little.

Those financial issues are why Alcatel has greatly reduced their product lineup this year- and sadly gone entry level (cheap) on most of it (Alcatel Idol 5 is a pale ghost of what the Idol line was). It's why the KEYone was in such limited production and still slowly rolling out to other markets after 10 months. It's why the Motion is a limited release item that is using that same basic hardware. It's why BBMo wasn't able to do ANY of the things that most here said they needed to do in order to be successful - marketing, great hardware, competitive pricing, carrier support. It's why we didn't get three devices this year as was planned. And it's why they can't even offer enterprise any guidance on what to expect from them... as they aren't even sure what or when they'll be able to deliver.

Too be honest I don't know what the future holds for TCL Communications.... but it's pretty clear they weren't in a position to save the BlackBerry brand last year. What I have learned from John Chen is you have to let some things go if they aren't profitable....
    11-30-17 10:05 AM
    But it's pretty clear that the parent company isn't planning on propping up this subsidiary/company/division... or they wouldn't have just sold of a 49% stake for so little.

Those financial issues are why Alcatel has greatly reduced their product lineup this year- and sadly gone entry level (cheap) on most of it (Alcatel Idol 5 is a pale ghost of what the Idol line was). It's why the KEYone was in such limited production and still slowly rolling out to other markets after 10 months. It's why the Motion is a limited release item that is using that same basic hardware. It's why BBMo wasn't able to do ANY of the things that most here said they needed to do in order to be successful - marketing, great hardware, competitive pricing, carrier support. It's why we didn't get three devices this year as was planned. And it's why they can't even offer enterprise any guidance on what to expect from them... as they aren't even sure what or when they'll be able to deliver.

Too be honest I don't know what the future holds for TCL Communications.... but it's pretty clear they weren't in a position to save the BlackBerry brand last year. What I have learned from John Chen is you have to let some things go if they aren't profitable....
    You have made many assumptions here.

Nothing I have seen or heard convinces me that TCL isn't in for playing the long game on devices.
    11-30-17 10:43 AM
    You have made many assumptions here.

Nothing I have seen or heard convinces me that TCL isn't in for playing the long game on devices.
    It's not an assumption that TCL Communication is losing money and has seen sales drop by almost 40% in 2016. Not an assumption they sold off a 49% stake for a mere $65 Million USD.

Yes I assumed TCL Communications financial issues are the reason behind TCL lack of investment into the BlackBerry brand this year. Yes I am assuming that the KEYone's extended rollout and the Motion's limited lauch are direct results of cash flow issues. That the lack of "any" guidance on short (Motion's availability in other markets) or long term plans for enterprise is a result of BBMo not being in a position to make long term commitments.

I don't agree with the assumption that because TCL Corporation has resources that somehow will eventually benefit BBMo. I also don't think BBMo is enough to fix TCL Communications financial problems... even if they were doing better than expected.
    11-30-17 12:06 PM
    It's not an assumption that TCL Communication is losing money and has seen sales drop by almost 40% in 2016. Not an assumption they sold off a 49% stake for a mere $65 Million USD.

Yes I assumed TCL Communications financial issues are the reason behind TCL lack of investment into the BlackBerry brand this year. Yes I am assuming that the KEYone's extended rollout and the Motion's limited lauch are direct results of cash flow issues. That the lack of "any" guidance on short (Motion's availability in other markets) or long term plans for enterprise is a result of BBMo not being in a position to make long term commitments.

I don't agree with the assumption that because TCL Corporation has resources that somehow will eventually benefit BBMo. I also don't think BBMo is enough to fix TCL Communications financial problems... even if they were doing better than expected.
    I still think rolling out Alcatel and BlackBerry Mobile outside of Asia is a long-term strategic position. It would take several years of losses to throw in the towel.
    11-30-17 12:12 PM

TCL is worth billions, what they sold is 49% of their cell phone subsidiary. the valuation is still low but the fact they sold 49% tells me they still want control of where the business goes. As per this "The move is to introduce outside investors who possess industrial background and business resources to optimize the ownership structure of TCL Communication and accelerate its transformation, according to the company." Seems this wasn't about money this was about strategic partners
    11-30-17 01:32 PM

TCL is worth billions, what they sold is 49% of their cell phone subsidiary. the valuation is still low but the fact they sold 49% tells me they still want control of where the business goes. As per this "The move is to introduce outside investors who possess industrial background and business resources to optimize the ownership structure of TCL Communication and accelerate its transformation, according to the company." Seems this wasn't about money this was about strategic partners

My point was that TCL Communications has been financially troubled for well over a year now. That may explain how little BBMo has been able to accomplish this year. And going forward the need for the transformation of TCL Communications could affect their plans for BBMo. I agree with conite that they really need a few years to rebuild the brand. Not sure the fresh blood will hold with any plans that were made prior to their coming on board. Especially if it's a project that is costing them money and the outcome is still unknown. Any sign that Enterprise is sitting around waiting for a BBMo solution?

TCL Corporation's billions don't mean much of anything for BBMo... Not up to this point, and doubt they will anytime soon.
    11-30-17 03:09 PM
    My point was that TCL Communications has been financially troubled for well over a year now. That may explain how little BBMo has been able to accomplish this year. And going forward the need for the transformation of TCL Communications could affect their plans for BBMo. I agree with conite that they really need a few years to rebuild the brand. Not sure the fresh blood will hold with any plans that were made prior to their coming on board. Especially if it's a project that is costing them money and the outcome is still unknown. Any sign that Enterprise is sitting around waiting for a BBMo solution?

TCL Corporation's billions don't mean much of anything for BBMo... Not up to this point, and doubt they will anytime soon.
    TCL was fully aware from the get-go that Blackberry Mobile was a long-term position. They expected to lose money for years.
    11-30-17 03:51 PM
    TCL was fully aware from the get-go that Blackberry Mobile was a long-term position. They expected to lose money for years.
    Is that a fact or an assumption?

I too assumed they knew it would take a lot to repair the brand and to regain enterprises trust...marketing, carrier support, subsidies for enterprise. So yes they should have been aware that the potential for profits would be very limited initially. But I'd also assume they'd evaluate the situation as time passed to make sure they were not just throwing money away. Start off slow and build up the "platform"...

In the end what TCL or the other two licensees "taught" last year.... well that was last year. I think all three have different views about the BlackBerry Brand at this point. And TCL Communication isn't in the same financial position they were in last year - facing their own internal transitional phase.
    11-30-17 04:48 PM
    In the end what TCL or the other two licensees "taught" last year.... well that was last year. I think all three have different views about the BlackBerry Brand at this point.
    BlackBerry Mobile were pretty clear they had underestimated demand for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ. So that can only be good, no?
    11-30-17 04:55 PM

I simply don't buy your thesis that the sale of stock in the subsidiary is a sign of weakness. Effectively they formed a joint partnership by sharing equity. I have no problem believing that they expected their new equity partner to put more than cash into the business. When you form a joint venture, the whole point is to give partners a significant incentive to work together. The best incentive is significant equity.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    11-30-17 05:01 PM
    I simply don't buy your thesis that the sale of stock in the subsidiary is a sign of weakness. Effectively they formed a joint partnership by sharing equity. I have no problem believing that they expected their new equity partner to put more than cash into the business. When you form a joint venture, the whole point is to give partners a significant incentive to work together. The best incentive is significant equity.

That's just it. The investors who funded this didn't do it because they were out to start their own device manufacturer nor did they do it because it was such a failing division that they could get in on it cheap. That wouldn't really make business sense. It would only make business sense to take over a faltering division if you are to get into device manufacturing your self as Google tried with Motorola and Microsoft with Nokia. They didn't just partner with them in a minority stake. They took over with the plan to manufacture devices their way.
    11-30-17 05:29 PM
    That's just it. The investors who funded this didn't do it because they were out to start their own device manufacturer nor did they do it because it was such a failing division that they could get in on it cheap. That wouldn't really make business sense. It would only make business sense to take over a faltering division if you are to get into device manufacturing your self as Google tried with Motorola and Microsoft with Nokia. They didn't just partner with them in a minority stake. They took over with the plan to manufacture devices their way.

Agreed.

If anything, this whole exercise seems more like a doubling down on the commitment to the device business.
    11-30-17 05:57 PM
    Agreed.

If anything, this whole exercise seems more like a doubling down on the commitment to the device business.
    As a former webOS user, I don't really buy into the concept of doubling down.
    11-30-17 07:46 PM
    As a former webOS user, I don't really buy into the concept of doubling down.
    Are we linking to dissimilar past corporate investments? Here's one:

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-buys-android/
    stlabrat likes this.
    11-30-17 07:50 PM
315 ... 678910 ...