02-08-18 03:50 PM
302 12345 ...
tools
    Geez, so the choices (in the near future) are: small screen pkb or large screen vkb with middling processors. The future for a pkb is essentially a copy of the KeyOne. Sorry, but I would like a Priv or Passport replacement. Some of us need a bigger screen with a pkb for the sake of our eyes.
    10-28-17 07:51 AM
    Geez, so the choices (in the near future) are: small screen pkb or large screen vkb with middling processors. The future for a pkb is essentially a copy of the KeyOne. Sorry, but I would like a Priv or Passport replacement. Some of us need a bigger screen with a pkb for the sake of our eyes.
    Why not enlarge the viewing display on a K1? It has a decent sized screen.

Posted via CB10
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    10-28-17 08:08 AM
    People give the slider form factor too much hate, I have the Priv and i don't see what all the gripes and complaints are about, i think the biggest mistake they made was the original price, if it was the same price as the KeyOne at initial launch people wouldn't have expected everything from it. I would love if they updated it, it looks like they have replaced the DTeks with the Motion so i really wonder if they are thinking of updating the Priv because neither the Prive or DTeks got the Nougat update and after that announcement they released the Motion. As someone else mentioned they would be able to fix anything that went wrong in the first Priv so it would be even more of an improvement, also if it had the same screen size as the KeyOne that would be much better i think, i don't like large phones because they don't always fit perfectly into jean pockets.
    Price was certainly an issue for a lot of people but what did people really expect for a phone of that caliber at the time? Plus you add the Pkb..that device was not cheap to make.

Heat issues early on in reviews I'm sure swayed the buying decision process for many as well.
    10-28-17 09:29 AM
    Price was certainly an issue for a lot of people but what did people really expect for a phone of that caliber at the time? Plus you add the Pkb..that device was not cheap to make.

Heat issues early on in reviews I'm sure swayed the buying decision process for many as well.
    Yeah that's very true, I would never buy a phone that's $800, I had to buy the phone unlocked online with no network subsidiary because blackberry phone's are not sold or supported in Ireland, I bought my Priv this year in February, and I think I have been really lucky with mine, it doesn't overheat constantly and I recently found a better way to stop the overheating by using the 2G network connection when traveling especially. But I do know that's not a viable option for many and the network i'm with is also bad but in 2 weeks my contract ends and I'm going to a network that has 4G, I saw in another forum that 4G option works great on the Priv and doesn't drain the battery. If BlackBerry does release another slider I would love if it was around the KeyOne price.

Sent from my STV100-4 using CB Forums mobile app
    Carjackd likes this.
    10-28-17 09:34 AM
    People give the slider form factor too much hate...
    Agreed. I think that the form is incredibly practical and, even moreso these days with given proof in this exact thread. Some people want both a physical keyboard AND large screen and, with the exception of perhaps laptop computers, I believe the slider is the best form to meet these needs because it combines both in the most compact possible form.

I really think that the slider form could be completely 'nailed' and people would buy back into it. There is far too much monotony in the mobile landscape for someone to not try to keep doing something more 'bold'. IF they were able to release a slider that actually didn't compromise on physical keyboard quality (shouldn't be impossible) AND meet or exceed the specifications and performance of their other devices on the market, I see absolutely no reason why it couldn't work.

Since BB10 really made it obvious that there were two distinct varieties of BlackBerry devices (full touch and pkb), I've always thought that a model to keep up with (assuming that the devices were actually selling in good turn) would be Full touch device one year then PKB device the next, aternating between the two. At the 6 month mark between launches would be the time to either update the last device if it were doing well and seemed logical (Passport SE, KEYone Black Edition) or, if not necessary, try a more irregular design instead (Passport, Priv, etc).

If anyone is going to do different designs like these with their phones (and I hope they do) it makes sense that it's BlackBerry. They are already the distinctly different brand. What has anyone else got to offer design idea wise? "OMG - they removed the home button!" or "Look how small the bezels are!"
    10-28-17 10:03 AM
    That is one way to see it.. Reality is that if BlackBerry Mobile want to try to make a dent in the current market share they need to be consistent year after year and push incremental improvements a la Apple or Samsung (or any other brand out there..)

Customers expect year after year "new" phone.. That resembles the previous one..

Hopefully once they have some sales they can introduce also the slider (factor form I like by the way..)
    tazcubed likes this.
    10-28-17 10:05 AM
    Agreed. I think that the form is incredibly practical and, even moreso these days with given proof in this exact thread. Some people want both a physical keyboard AND large screen and, with the exception of perhaps laptop computers, I believe the slider is the best form to meet these needs because it combines both in the most compact possible form.

I really think that the slider form could be completely 'nailed' and people would buy back into it. There is far too much monotony in the mobile landscape for someone to not try to keep doing something more 'bold'. IF they were able to release a slider that actually didn't compromise on physical keyboard quality (shouldn't be impossible) AND meet or exceed the specifications and performance of their other devices on the market, I see absolutely no reason why it couldn't work.

Since BB10 really made it obvious that there were two distinct varieties of BlackBerry devices (full touch and pkb), I've always thought that a model to keep up with (assuming that the devices were actually selling in good turn) would be Full touch device one year then PKB device the next, aternating between the two. At the 6 month mark between launches would be the time to either update the last device if it were doing well and seemed logical (Passport SE, KEYone Black Edition) or, if not necessary, try a more irregular design instead (Passport, Priv, etc).

If anyone is going to do different designs like these with their phones (and I hope they do) it makes sense that it's BlackBerry. They are already the distinctly different brand. What has anyone else got to offer design idea wise? "OMG - they removed the home button!" or "Look how small the bezels are!"
    When BlackBerry first released the first Torch in 2010 it had some problems and people said the keyboard wasn't as good as the Bold 9700, then in 2011 they re-issued it with updated hardware and internals and OS7, it gave the keyboard the same clickiness as the 9700. I actually don't find anything wrong with the Priv keyboard, it even gets clicky if you put a case on the phone, I have a leather case that has the same feel as the original Bold 9000 battery door. The Priv is very practical because if you want a full touchscreen you get that and if you want a physical keyboard you get that too, I love using it. I think BlackBerry could successfully have 3 phones a year, a KeyOne, Motion and Priv updated each year with updated specs, i'm surprised they haven't tried to do a budget touchscreen that's around $200 , or resurrect the Curve/Q5 form factor and make a budget pkb for under $300.

i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    10-28-17 10:11 AM
    That is one way to see it.. Reality is that if BlackBerry Mobile want to try to make a dent in the current market share they need to be consistent year after year and push incremental improvements a la Apple or Samsung (or any other brand out there..)

Customers expect year after year "new" phone.. That resembles the previous one..

Hopefully once they have some sales they can introduce also the slider (factor form I like by the way..)
    That last thing I want BB to do is to follow the footsteps of Apple and Samsung. Releasing every phone with just performance upgrades makes the previous model look like crap in front of it. And it loses the value. Right now, if we own a BB, its known as a BB, not, Oh Z10, Oh Q10, that's old.
    If someone owns an iP7 or S7 now, it's looked upon as an inferior device. The way BB is going right now, is perfectly fine. At the moment, they are not aiming to create a dent on the current market share.

Posted via CB10
    Sick Viscous and Qorax like this.
    10-28-17 10:15 AM
    hopefully everything going forward will have 4GB RAM. the fragmentation with the launch model and the Black ones that followed wasn't good. and I'm sure the BOM difference was only ever a few dollars.
    10-28-17 10:27 AM

This is absolutely correct. KEYone is a great form factor that delivers the goods for the majority of (pkb) BlackBerry fans. All this design should really require going forward is iterative improvements and refinements.
    Mrs Teapot likes this.
    10-28-17 10:34 AM
    Finally I had decided to buy K1 black edition ow this rumor.... Darn it :-/
    Marcin Dabrowsky likes this.
    10-28-17 12:14 PM
    Finally I had decided to buy K1 black edition ow this rumor.... Darn it :-/
    Don't worry about these rumors. You'll have plenty of time to enjoy your KEYone BE.
    Marcin Dabrowsky likes this.
    10-28-17 01:15 PM
    Don't worry about these rumors. You'll have plenty of time to enjoy your KEYone BE.
    You love teasing people around don't you?

Posted via CB10
    10-28-17 01:33 PM
    Of all the things said, I can agree with your response. If TCL has a hit, then I'm good with them doing updates to the devices hardware in order to stay current. I don't think it's realistic for a company to do something for a long time where it's a loss as opposed to a profit. Although Blackberry of old may have been able to produce a single product for a couple of years, there were a number of people who thought those same devices could use an update. If Blackberry had the resources to get feedback, review and update the Passport and the Priv, then perhaps they may have stayed on the manufacturing side and garnered more customers. Now the onus is on TCL.
    10-28-17 02:23 PM
    That's your observation. I've maybe seen one K1 in the wild since launch but I've seen many Privs. Even the Passport seem to outnumber the number of KEYones that I saw.

All anecdotal.
    I've actually seen a handful in the Burlington area.
    10-28-17 02:50 PM
    When BlackBerry first released the first Torch in 2010 it had some problems and people said the keyboard wasn't as good as the Bold 9700, then in 2011 they re-issued it with updated hardware and internals and OS7, it gave the keyboard the same clickiness as the 9700. I actually don't find anything wrong with the Priv keyboard, it even gets clicky if you put a case on the phone, I have a leather case that has the same feel as the original Bold 9000 battery door. The Priv is very practical because if you want a full touchscreen you get that and if you want a physical keyboard you get that too, I love using it. I think BlackBerry could successfully have 3 phones a year, a KeyOne, Motion and Priv updated each year with updated specs, i'm surprised they haven't tried to do a budget touchscreen that's around $200 , or resurrect the Curve/Q5 form factor and make a budget pkb for under $300.

Priv would have been a great phone if the damn thing wasn't always so buggy and overheating. I personally would have preferred something smaller (S7 size), but still a great form factor. I have no issue with the keyboard, the slider has never failed, and I eventually started to like android. The phone is still thin, light, and easy to type on with the keyboard out. Give me a Priv with KEYone performance (black edition) and I'm sold. I know BBM isn't trying to compete with the big boys, but if you want a niche market for professionals, a slider gives them what they want for both personal and professional use.
    Qorax likes this.
    10-28-17 06:08 PM
    K2 is twice as powerful as the K1 as far as the SOC. Guessing this is a $550-600 phone

https://www.androidcentral.com/snapdragon-660
    10-28-17 06:13 PM
    You are absolutely correct, an updated Priv with the similar back design of KeyOne or Motion and the similar specs and that would be great. Also, I think the Priv was intended to be a BB10 device because when announced there were 2 devices one in black and one in white and both had BB10 on them when they were announced in early 2015, I think they must have made a decision in the months after and loaded android onto it, they trialed it with the Passport so they knew it would work on the Priv. Mine doesn't overheat so much, and when it does I noticed it's always when the network coverage is getting patchy and stressing the phone out so for the last few days I've put it on 2G and it's not overheating at all anymore, the phone is actually cold, i'm shocked that's all it took to change the overheating on my Priv haha.

10-28-17 06:24 PM
    Another day, another TCL config.

The file itself: http://www-ccpp.tcl-ta.com/files/bbf100-1.xml

Some mirrors: https://pastebin.com/YZAYRN66
    https://web.archive.org/web/20171027...s/bbf100-1.xml

And an article this time (in Dutch): https://www.mobielkopen.net/blackber...gon-660-qwerty

There's also the same file for the BBF100-2/3.

As for what it is, all we have is the CPU (Snapdragon 660), a model number (BBF100-1/2/3), a screen resolution (1620x1080), and an input method (PKB). Anything else will have to come later.

I knew it all along. I told them and they said I was crazy. Yeah? well, who's crazy now, Huh??
    I told them. I knew it all along... he was part Dutch!!
    Whatever the BBF100-1 is-0269.gif
    10-28-17 08:02 PM
    Well, you can be certain of that but I'll keep dreaming. That way, one of us *might* be wrong but the other impossibly so.

'Death and taxes', my friend.
    How I would love another PRIV device. My dream device as well. The PRIV is not too bulky to me at all and not too tall when extended. It balances perfectly for me. I love being on a call when it is extended. I like it Better than the KEYone when on a call.
    Qorax and i_plod_an_dr_void like this.
    10-29-17 05:22 AM
    Maybe that's why they sent people a Priv performance survey out of nowhere last week. This new device could very certainly be a slider.
    10-29-17 10:57 AM
    Maybe that's why they sent people a Priv performance survey out of nowhere last week. This new device could very certainly be a slider.
    I got one for the K1 too.
    10-29-17 11:02 AM
    Lol. No.
    pooyam likes this.
    10-29-17 11:15 AM
    I got a DTEK60 performance survey so it's obviously full touch, then.
    10-29-17 11:19 AM
    I highly doubt it's a slider, but being that the Priv was made by BlackBerry and not BBMobile, there's still a chance that they take a shot at a slider down the road. Like those of us who love sliders, there's bound to be someone at BBM that thinks they can build a better slider than the Priv. And that won't be too hard too do; make sure the processor actually works and come up with a better name than Priv ... so it would be near impossible to not make a better version of the Priv. All jokes aside, the hardware was fine and I'm sure BlackBerry would share the design with BBM, it doesn't seem like a big stretch that we'll see a slider within the next couple years.
    10-29-17 11:20 AM
302 12345 ...