02-08-18 03:50 PM
302 ... 910111213
tools
    A timely reminder that CES begins in exactly three weeks. I'm half-expecting to hear Evan Blass mention something, going on his previous insights.

(I don't seriously believe there won't be some form of BlackBerry Mobile announcement in January.)
    12-17-17 04:59 PM
    A timely reminder that CES begins in exactly three weeks. I'm half-expecting to hear Evan Blass mention something, going on his previous insights.

(I don't seriously believe there won't be some form of BlackBerry Mobile announcement in January.)
    They need to be aggressive with their momentum but at the same time some sort of spec'd out KEYone might be too soon from its predecessors however it would be nice to get a chip set that's under a year old

Posted via CB10
    ppeters914 likes this.
    12-18-17 06:58 AM
    Everybody is overlooking the fact that AT&T had a major impact on non sales of the Priv, (slider). At release, the only carrier that had it was AT&T, Americans are very well trained to buy only from carriers under some kind of contract. The initial release had some sort of bug that prevented emails from being received. BB promptly fixed it, but AT&T wouldn't release the update. So anybody walking into a store, or inquiring by phone was being told that over 90% of them were being returned. AT&T wasn't telling them that the issue was fixed, and they weren't releasing the fix. Then all those returned and non sold Priv's were dumped on the the 3rd party market, leading to the "no updates" fiasico.
    -- All the above is to point out that using the Priv as proof that a slider won't be accepted, or sell is BS. The Priv, (slider) didn't sell because BB released it with Lollipop, which it really under preformed with, and AT&T kept trying to sell it without fixing a major problem. Lack of Priv, (slider) sales had nothing to do with form factor. Any form factor released with those kinds of problems would have done badly.
    12-18-17 08:16 AM
    Isn't that part of the reason apple open their own store? not sure what is ATT problem, but if it is VZ, they got burned by Storm, I am not blame them. In addition, both sammy and apple send their employee to tend the booth, Priv release in a time majority of the support were either got pink slip or expect one... not perfect timing... (you never know where the ball was dropped within BB... ATT possibly worry about the stability of BB over all -e.g. usual interface contact change for example...they might just don't want to deal with it).
    12-18-17 10:27 AM
    Everybody is overlooking the fact that AT&T had a major impact on non sales of the Priv, (slider). At release, the only carrier that had it was AT&T, Americans are very well trained to buy only from carriers under some kind of contract. The initial release had some sort of bug that prevented emails from being received. BB promptly fixed it, but AT&T wouldn't release the update. So anybody walking into a store, or inquiring by phone was being told that over 90% of them were being returned. AT&T wasn't telling them that the issue was fixed, and they weren't releasing the fix. Then all those returned and non sold Priv's were dumped on the the 3rd party market, leading to the "no updates" fiasico.
    -- All the above is to point out that using the Priv as proof that a slider won't be accepted, or sell is BS. The Priv, (slider) didn't sell because BB released it with Lollipop, which it really under preformed with, and AT&T kept trying to sell it without fixing a major problem. Lack of Priv, (slider) sales had nothing to do with form factor. Any form factor released with those kinds of problems would have done badly.
    Verizon has the Priv too, they even had their own version (STV100-2) for their snowflake of a network. T-Mobile also carried it briefly.
    12-18-17 10:59 AM
    AT&T is one carrier in one market....

Might be incorrect to concluded that the form factor was THE cause of it's failure as a commercial product. But also incorrect to blame AT&T for its poor performance.
    12-18-17 11:03 AM
    Verizon has the Priv too, they even had their own version (STV100-2) for their snowflake of a network. T-Mobile also carried it briefly.
    AT&T is one carrier in one market....
    AT&T had the exclusive for several months, long enough for anybody that was interested in the device to learn that it missed the majority of incoming emails, and that the return rate was over 90%. By the time the other carriers got it, the damage was done.
    I never said AT&T was THE CAUSE, to quote my post "AT&T had a major impact on non sales of the Priv,"
    AT&T was the ONLY carrier for long enough to do major damage.
    12-18-17 05:21 PM
    AT&T had the exclusive for several months, long enough for anybody that was interested in the device to learn that it missed the majority of incoming emails, and that the return rate was over 90%. By the time the other carriers got it, the damage was done.
    I never said AT&T was THE CAUSE, to quote my post "AT&T had a major impact on non sales of the Priv,"
    AT&T was the ONLY carrier for long enough to do major damage.
    If you are focused on the US Market maybe...
    12-19-17 01:01 PM
    Kinda gettin off topic here. BBF100-1 anyone?
    Mrs Teapot, mbert and Wezard like this.
    12-19-17 01:13 PM
    Good point, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
    12-19-17 10:04 PM
    Good point, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
    No big. Guess there's not much to discuss yet anyways. Maybe in a few weeks at CES or MWC the month after if the KEYone is any indicator.
    12-19-17 10:07 PM
    Yeah it sucks, still no more news on the device except the geek bench leak.
    12-20-17 07:34 PM
    So last year at CES the "Mercury" was first shown. MWC was the more formal launch with the official "KEYone" branding.

I wouldn't mind if the same thing happened, though I would hope they learned from last year and have a smoother and more timely launch.
    12-20-17 08:26 PM
    So last year at CES the "Mercury" was first shown. MWC was the more formal launch with the official "KEYone" branding.

I wouldn't mind if the same thing happened, though I would hope they learned from last year and have a smoother and more timely launch.
    Yeah it would be nice to get it released while the chip set is still under a year old.

Posted via CB10
    ppeters914 likes this.
    12-21-17 07:47 AM

Haven't seen any signs of improvement with the Motions "launch"....
    12-21-17 02:14 PM
    Haven't seen any signs of improvement with the Motions "launch"....
    Maybe the third time is the charm, otherwise "launch" is the hardware equivalent of vaporware.

Thanks.

Pete
    AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057
    12-29-17 03:13 PM
    Maybe the third time is the charm, otherwise "launch" is the hardware equivalent of vaporware.

Thanks.

Pete
    AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057
    To be fair, it was five months after the KEYone "launch" before a US Carrier had it. So really should not expect to see it here until Feb/March, if they stick to the same schedule. Do think they were a little more forthcoming on their plans back then. Should see it a little sooner unlocked (end of Jan or first of Feb), unless the carriers require it not to be.
    12-29-17 03:55 PM
    To be fair, it was five months after the KEYone "launch" before a US Carrier had it. So really should not expect to see it here until Feb/March, if they stick to the same schedule. Do think they were a little more forthcoming on their plans back then. Should see it a little sooner unlocked (end of Jan or first of Feb), unless the carriers require it not to be.
    What's worse is that BB, looking at the Priv, appears to start the support countdown from the absolute first release; formally abandoning it in November 2017 is 24 months after general release, but only 18 months after Verizon launched it.
    12-29-17 04:05 PM
    Feb/March and months after was the release so we could be looking at May June, just like last year.
    01-01-18 08:22 PM
    Feb/March and months after was the release so we could be looking at May June, just like last year.
    Putting a KEYone major update under a year since initial release date would definitely upset people but push it too far and the chipset will be outdated. It would be nice to get a BlackBerry with a chipset less than a year old which would force a release in the first quarter.

Posted via CB10
    Crusader03 likes this.
    01-01-18 08:32 PM
    I actually can't wait to see the new device's design. Since my beloved PRIV is now out of support, I'd really appreciate another slider, but I understand that this is quite unlikely to happen.

I am still getting approached by people in the bus on my way to work asking me what kind of device my PRIV is and whether it's worth getting. I usually said that it is a wonderful device now available to a more than fair price. But after the recent news I'll have to give a different assessment.
    01-02-18 05:44 AM
    The PRIV is still eye catching with kids at the local train station calling it wavy lol. Will be interesting to see what new devices look like as was excited at the Keyone but on using didn't take to it so much and would prefer a z10 size motion personally if I was going all touch.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-18 07:04 AM
    The PRIV is still eye catching with kids at the local train station calling it wavy lol. Will be interesting to see what new devices look like as was excited at the Keyone but on using didn't take to it so much and would prefer a z10 size motion personally if I was going all touch.

Posted via CB10
    I doubt we're going to see any major changes on the design for Motion or KEYone

Posted via CB10
    01-02-18 08:39 AM
    Is this the new device's quasi-carbon fibre? The only times TCL changed the profile pictures across each social media account in the past were to reflect that of the KEYone and the Black Edition prior to unveiling.

Whatever the BBF100-1 is-screen-shot-2018-01-02-20.41.00.png

(Yes, I'm half joking.)
    01-02-18 03:48 PM
    CES starts in a week, so if TCL decides to unveil things then rather than at MWC (or split the announcement over both like the KEYone again) then more details will drop sometime next week.
    01-02-18 04:04 PM
302 ... 910111213