keep all the S2 goodness
    Higher screen res and larger display
    More memory
    Faster Processor
    WebKit, of course
    Keep SurePress
    better camera would rock too
    09-20-10 12:15 AM
    After seeing that in-the-wild photo on the front page of CB this morning, I'm LUSTING!! Oh yeah!
    09-20-10 12:29 PM
    From looking at the picture they have of the storm 3 there is a trackpad which I'm interested to see how that's going to play out. I never even thought of having a trackpad when I had a storm. It also doesn't look like the screen is the same either. Maybe they changed the moving/clicking screen which I liked because it made it unique compared to all other touch screens.
    09-20-10 05:04 PM
    Is it me or does it look like it might have a keyboard look at the dudes pinkie. Looks like its tapered I guess you call it? I don't know? what do you think?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-10 05:11 PM
    Is it me or does it look like it might have a keyboard look at the dudes pinkie. Looks like its tapered I guess you call it? I don't know? what do you think?

It's possible but I highly doubt it... i think it's just the light... but who knows maybe they want to compete with the torch and put a sliding keyboard on it
    09-20-10 05:37 PM
    Possible. look on blackberry cool bigger pic kind of a closer view too

09-20-10 05:47 PM
    Yeah, I wondered about that myself. WHY have a trackpad on a touchscreendevice? That makes no sense to me. As to the reference to a possible keyboard, no way in **** (I hope)! If I wanted a touchscreen AND a keyboard, I'd buy a Torch (gag)!

From looking at the picture they have of the storm 3 there is a trackpad which I'm interested to see how that's going to play out. I never even thought of having a trackpad when I had a storm. It also doesn't look like the screen is the same either. Maybe they changed the moving/clicking screen which I liked because it made it unique compared to all other touch screens.
    09-20-10 08:32 PM
    I don't know if this really belongs in the Storm 3 thread, as I'd be just as happy if it were a different line, but here is what I'd love to see RIM make in 2011 and it's closer to a Storm than anyting else:

* LTE candybar phone

* Capacitive Touchscreen (Storm is Surepress, so perhaps this could be a Storm family variant?)

* Form Factor of the Samsung Facinate (4" screen, thin, but with one-handed ease of use)

* 1 Ghz or higher processor (Torch is underpowered IMHO)

* Dedicated GPU

* Beautiful high resolution screen (Samsung Facinate's AMOLED would be perfect)

* 1 gig of memory and capacity to hold re-source hungry apps like games

* GPS

* 5+ megapixel camera with flash and an excellent lens

* Battery life of at least 1 full day of very heavy usage ... even if it means an aftermarket battery.

To be clear, I love the Torch, it's a definite step in the right direction. But, IMHO, the Torch is a little sluggish, the screen-scrolling is still not smooth, the web browser is almost there, but lagging a tiny bit, and it's a small screen on a bulky slider phone. Give it the hardware and form factor of the Samsung Facinate and it would be my favorite phone out without a doubt. I really like OS 6 and the Torch touchscreen ... but it feels like a great 2008 phone rather than a great 2010 phone.

I suspect RIM is rightfully gearing all of it's development towards LTE phones. Hopefully the Storm 4 will be the LTE phone we all want, but in the interim, it would be nice to get a Storm 3 with a 4" screen and a 1 Ghz processor.
    09-20-10 09:47 PM
    I refuse to buy a slider. BB already has the Torch...so they don't need another slider for the Storm. I don't mind the trackpad...as long as the screen resolution and size are worlds better than the current Storm.
    09-21-10 08:40 AM
    I refuse to buy a slider. BB already has the Torch...so they don't need another slider for the Storm. I don't mind the trackpad...as long as the screen resolution and size are worlds better than the current Storm.
    ++

The only annoying thing I found about my S1 (besides it being the S1) is that there are quite a few cases where trying to do something on the screen is AGONY where a trackpad would make it dead simple.
    09-21-10 09:11 AM
    Yeah, I wondered about that myself. WHY have a trackpad on a touchscreendevice? That makes no sense to me. As to the reference to a possible keyboard, no way in **** (I hope)! If I wanted a touchscreen AND a keyboard, I'd buy a Torch (gag)!
    It's for easier pinpoint selection. It's basically RIM saying; "HTC and Motorola came up with a good idea first, so this is us implementing it a year later."
    09-21-10 09:29 AM
    I had problem ONLY with the lower keys when mine would lay on a flat surface, but O/S upgrade fixed that problem.
    I was very surprised by an experience I just had with yet another replacement Storm 2. I received the replacement because of a rebooting error loop with every battery pull. I dont blame RIM for this.... it happens! So I ordered the replacement and sure enough, I saw one of Adam Weis videos on how to recover a nuked berry. I fixed it, got my replacement, and thought about whether I should change it anyway. It was going to help extend the warranty so I was thinking I might as well replace it regardless.

So I received my replacement, tested the click, and sure enough, the darn back button did not click when lying the device flat!!! OS was at .713 and the date of manufacture was 8/2010 according to the back sticker. I was in shock to believe that at this stage of the game, the problem can still exist!

Why is this important to me??? Because I dock my phone in my car on a cup holder mount, and that flat and slightly angled dock would be make that key useless when I click it while I'm on the road (red light, or parked, etc).

Sure enough, I sent the thing back and kept my old phone. I called them up and acted like a good samaratan and told them I did not need the replacement since I fixed my phone. They were happy, I was definitely happy, and the story ends!

I love the click.... but I just pray that if they keep in on future devices that they really fix this issue and make it consistant!!! After so long in production, to still have Storm 2's with click issues is a crying shame!
    09-21-10 07:46 PM
    I am very happy with my Storm 2.

The only thing I wish it has is a trackpad for:
    - Easy Copy-Pasting
    - mouse hovering for clicking small links on some websites. Something like: <Previous 123456 Next> . Try clicking on one of the "Page" link on that using Storm, arrgghhh.
    09-21-10 08:29 PM
    As much as I don't think the Storm really NEEDS a trackpad, I think it would be nice when scrolling through a webpage or document so my fingers aren't covering up part of the screen. Also would help boost my Brickbreaker score because my fat thumbs cover up part of the "paddle-thingy." Also, ditto what MrPerkasa said.
    09-22-10 07:55 AM
    Lol omg you ever try playing finger tap its impossible. Must be a game for a ipad or something. My finger takes up the whole screen

09-22-10 08:05 AM
    I was very surprised by an experience I just had with yet another replacement Storm 2. I received the replacement because of a rebooting error loop with every battery pull. I dont blame RIM for this.... it happens! So I ordered the replacement and sure enough, I saw one of Adam Weis videos on how to recover a nuked berry. I fixed it, got my replacement, and thought about whether I should change it anyway. It was going to help extend the warranty so I was thinking I might as well replace it regardless.

I love the click.... but I just pray that if they keep in on future devices that they really fix this issue and make it consistant!!! After so long in production, to still have Storm 2's with click issues is a crying shame!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but arent the bottom two screen sensors between the screen and the call, back, BB, and end buttons? If I'm right, isn't that the problem right there? If the sensors were moved to the very bottom, it would increase the sensitivity of pushing on the bottom of the screen.
    09-22-10 08:12 AM
    but its strange that it doesnt happen when you click from the top corner
    09-22-10 10:21 AM
    but its strange that it doesnt happen when you click from the top corner
    I think that's because the buttons at the top corners are right near the edge... they don't have another 3/8" of glass before the edge.

|______________________|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|
    |B____________________B|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|

OK... so don't make fun of my awesome graphics skills, but I believe the current configuration of screen buttons is the first image with the black Bs, but the bottom buttons should be like the second image where the red Bs are. That's why the top of the screen clicks just fine; because the sensors are right by the edge of the screen, but not so on the bottom.

|______________________|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|
    |______________________|
    |B____________________B|
    09-22-10 10:58 AM
    DrJay, you have the post of the day! Nice job, really. Rudimentary, but perfectly understandable!
    09-22-10 06:32 PM
    drjay, great job with the demo. And I think your correct on your assessment
    09-24-10 12:43 PM
    Not to rain on anybody's parade but I think the RIM store idea would be a DOA. It would add a tremendous cost component to the Company while most likely loosing money. RIM is supposed to specialize in technology, not retail.

Also, RIM's smartphones just are not worth full retail price. Quite frankly, I have a hard time believing the market will accept $199. None of these phones are worth more than $50-$100. I believe most are made to last one, maybe two years at the most.
    09-24-10 07:41 PM
    I believe most are made to last one, maybe two years at the most.
    How long do you expect the average android phone to last?
    09-25-10 10:03 PM
    What I would like to see???? I would like all of the stuff you all mentioned, but one thing I didn't see. I would like RIM to release a high end phone on all US carriers at the same time and stop all the exclusive crap. That is one major reason they sucks against the competition. Look at the Samsung Galaxy S and the HTCs (evo, droids). All major carries have them. not this crap only VZ gets the Storm or ATT gets the Torch. Simple math...the more people that have access to your products and service, the more you will sell. Not sure why RIM doesn't get that! Just my 2 cents
    09-26-10 06:55 AM
    I understand your sentiment but it's easier said than done. There are too many incentives involved by offering exclusivity and I'd blame the carriers as much for this as the manufacturer.

What I would like to see???? I would like all of the stuff you all mentioned, but one thing I didn't see. I would like RIM to release a high end phone on all US carriers at the same time and stop all the exclusive crap. That is one major reason they sucks against the competition. Look at the Samsung Galaxy S and the HTCs (evo, droids). All major carries have them. not this crap only VZ gets the Storm or ATT gets the Torch. Simple math...the more people that have access to your products and service, the more you will sell. Not sure why RIM doesn't get that! Just my 2 cents
    09-26-10 12:35 PM
    I understand your sentiment but it's easier said than done. There are too many incentives involved by offering exclusivity and I'd blame the carriers as much for this as the manufacturer.
    I pretty much completely blame the carriers. here in canada all of the casrriers launch the phones at the same time because it is compatible. in the states only Sprint ance Verizon are big and have compatible networks
    09-26-10 08:14 PM
103 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD