09-28-10 07:30 PM
103 123 ...
tools
    I was reading on another site that the Storm 3 is already in testing around the RIM HQs down the road from me in Waterloo.
    They listed a few rumored specs and this got me thinking...RIM wanted the Torch to be the "iPhone Killer" which it obviously wasn't. Although I, and probably every other BB junky LOVES the Torch, it clearly didn't perform as well as expected sales wise.
    I thought I'd start a thread with some features that we would like to see on the Storm 3 that could make it the real iPhone Killer.
    Here are my ideas:

Front facing camera.
    I think if they could incorporate this into their design and "copied" Apple's "Face Time" feature it could be AWESOME!!! Especially if you could video chat with BBM contacts!!!! I think that would KILL Apple's Face Time edge.

A Camera with at LEAST 8 MP
    Although a phone is a phone, I would love to have an incredible digital camera at my disposal for quick needed shots or just to have. This would keep BB in the same league as some of the Android phones cameras and is often an overlooked feature by developers for some reason.

Keep SurePress
    I know, I know. Before you all tell me that I'm wrong here, there's got to be other 9530, 9550 owners out there that love it as much as I do. I think it's a great feature and honestly LOVE that I can hover or make sure I'm over the right choice before I click in. Maybe they can refine the SurePress a little to make it less buggy and make it as solid as us Storm owners want it to be...BADLY!!

I was hoping we could add to this list and maybe, just maybe some BB developers are creeping around on here and get some ideas from it.
    09-12-10 02:55 PM
    There are already other threads about this, but I will make a couple comments anyway.

Camera: 5 MP with better optics and HD video recording would be perfect. 8 MP is a waste and basucally meaningless. Look at the currwnt options...the phones with 3-5 MP cameras take better pictures than those with 8 MP.

Frint facing camera: Meh...useless other than as a selling point.

SurePress: absolutely and improved please with the option to disable.

Important things: faster processor, 4X the memory, high res screen (3.75-4"), and improvements in email and dow load services (no truncated emails, etc.).

And for the love of all that is holy, please do NOT remove the left (and most important/used) convenience key like on the unholy Torch!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-10 03:18 PM
    Hmmm.

- Netflix app built in
    - 1ghz processor
    - 1gb app memory
    - 5mp camera with flash
    - Built in 3M micro projector (before samsung puts it in one of their phones)
    - Regular (not surepress) touchscreen
    - HDMI port (or any port that would allow audio/video out)
    - 2600mAh battery
    - iPhone equivalent screen resolution

Lot of wishful thinking there, but hey, the question was "What would you like to see in the Storm 3"
    09-12-10 03:20 PM
    *1GHz Processor

*Thin, not iPhone4G thin, but a little thinner my S2

*Signal Reliability

*Battery Improved a little bit

My little wish list.
    09-12-10 03:21 PM
    If I was going to say what I'd like to See the S3 come with so give me cues as to what the next phone I would buy would have as I have no interest in a full touch screen, but still I would want to see the S3 have

Qualcomm MSM8660 Chipset
    Scorpion asynchronous dual-CPU cores, up to 1.2GHz for faster response and processing
    High-performance GPU up to 88M triangles/sec and 532M 3D pixels/sec and dedicated 3D/2D acceleration engines for Open GLES 2.0 and Open VG 1.1 acceleration

improved multi touch SurePress
    10 points of contact for the screen instead of 4

New Sharp high brightness screen
    720 x 480 resolution on a 3.4" display

Front and Rear facing Camera
    Rear Camera 5MP with flash, and 480P and 720P video
    Front facing Camera 3.2MP Internet Streaming capable
    controllable ISO settings

Hotswappable Battery

media buttons on the top like the curve 9300

This is the Hardware, I wont get into the software.
    09-12-10 04:57 PM
    There are already other threads about this, but I will make a couple comments anyway.

Camera: 5 MP with better optics and HD video recording would be perfect. 8 MP is a waste and basucally meaningless. Look at the currwnt options...the phones with 3-5 MP cameras take better pictures than those with 8 MP.

Frint facing camera: Meh...useless other than as a selling point.

SurePress: absolutely and improved please with the option to disable.

Important things: faster processor, 4X the memory, high res screen (3.75-4"), and improvements in email and dow load services (no truncated emails, etc.).

And for the love of all that is holy, please do NOT remove the left (and most important/used) convenience key like on the unholy Torch!

+1
    Pretty much sums it up for me.
    I agree a 5mp camera would be adequate if it had quality components. I hate carrying a separate camera (even on vacation) so a great cell phone camera is a big plus for me.
    Front facing camera is not a selling point for me either. I have used skype, I hate being on camera. It always feels like you have to perform when you are on camera

Surepress is the most important feature of the Storm3. Without Surepress, it is just another touch screen phone. There are a lot of other options available for touch screen phones, Surepress sets the Storm apart from the crowd. I think it works great on my Storm2, but I imagine they will improve it even more. An option to turn it off would be cool for potential customers who just want a plain touch screen.

The ability to use memory on the sd card for apps would be one of my biggest wishes. Good for users who like a lot of apps, and useful for developers who want to develop memory intensive apps.
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 09-12-10 at 05:00 PM.
    09-12-10 04:58 PM
    As others have said, there are already multiple threads on this very same topic (and, I think, even the same title). Regardless, my desire for the 3 would be:

Higher screen res and larger display (like the X)
    More memory
    Faster Processor
    WebKit (obviously, that will be there)
    Keep SurePress

Other than that, while I might appreciate some additional features, none are compelling. I could really care less about front facing cameras, more MP camera (so many still don't understand that higher megapixel count does not = better photos, that's pure marketing hype. I'd be happy with a better QUALITY camera and electronics than higher MPs); HD Video, blah blah. Sure, I understand these are things that are important to some, but not me. Of course, the more you add, the higher the cost, so I don't feel compelled to desire features that will add to cost, complexity and opportunities for failure!

deRusset, nice list, but man, the cash register was ka-chinging in my head while I read it, lol!
    09-12-10 05:08 PM
    [QUOTE=deRusett;5573207]

Hotswappable Battery

QUOTE]

While I could see this being a great feature... I'm glad my STORM didn't have this! Would have added additional time to my required battery pulls.

While these are much fewer with OS5, I still remember even with QuickPull doing a nightly reboot having to pull my battery daily back in the early months of the STORM.
    09-12-10 05:39 PM
    option to turn-off the clicking sound.
    09-12-10 06:26 PM
    I hope you didn't mean the Storm 2 Refresh because that won't be much of an improvement from the Storm 2. Anyways...

-- Qualcomm 1.5 GHz dual-core Snapdragon processor
    -- 1 GB of RAM
    -- 3D Graphics HW Accelerator, with Open GL-ES 2.0 support
    -- 8 MP camera with HD recording, front facing 1.3 MP camera
    -- HDMI output
    -- Unique OS coded in something else besides Java, not normal BlackBerry OS
    -- LTE capable
    -- 3.5" Super AMOLED screen with resolution comparable to Retina Display
    -- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating

There's more, but that's all I could think of for now...
    09-12-10 07:13 PM

deRusset, nice list, but man, the cash register was ka-chinging in my head while I read it, lol!
    I think if RIM wants to compete on the consumer end they actually need to Jack up the price of the full touch screen device, look at the out of contract price / full retail of the iPhone, RIM needs to target something like that as a Full retail, leave it to Carriers to Discount further,

REALLY! I think that RIM needs to take another page out of the Apple book and start up RIM Kiosks in Malls, and RIM Stores selling RIM Products at full retail, so they can start making a higher average margin on their products,
    09-12-10 07:39 PM
    I think if RIM wants to compete on the consumer end they actually need to Jack up the price of the full touch screen device, look at the out of contract price / full retail of the iPhone, RIM needs to target something like that as a Full retail, leave it to Carriers to Discount further,

REALLY! I think that RIM needs to take another page out of the Apple book and start up RIM Kiosks in Malls, and RIM Stores selling RIM Products at full retail, so they can start making a higher average margin on their products,
    You think a store selling nothing but Blackberrys would be able to stay in business? Have to say, I disagree there. I don't think even an apple store would hold up if all they sold were phones. They could probably manage kiosks though. If the Blackpad turns out to be as big a success as the iPad, than just maybe they could pull off having stores.

They have Apple kiosks? Only seen Apple stores.
    09-12-10 07:48 PM
    You think a store selling nothing but Blackberrys would be able to stay in business? Have to say, I disagree there. I don't think even an apple store would hold up if all they sold were phones. They could probably manage kiosks though. If the Blackpad turns out to be as big a success as the iPad, than just maybe they could pull off having stores.

They have Apple kiosks? Only seen Apple stores.
    Apple doesn't have Kiosks, but I think RIM should,

As you said it would be a challenge to have a retail store for just Blackberry / RIM product, BUT! I do think it could work, in major centres, RIM does a bad job showing off what it has to offer, and I think the Potential of a RIM store, with RIM trained corporate business people they could be assisting in selling both the retail side to the consumer as well as being a place that IT could come and see BES core products, and MVS products. you wouldn't see tones of RIM stores, but the top 10 Business capitals in North America would be good locations to do it in, and as you said if the Blackpad is successful, then that is a place to make money with it, and hopefully RIM will dive deeper into hardware peripherals, or peripheral partnerships.

this is getting off topic, but Ideally RIM would build a device that allowed app purchases in Store and installed to the DB from the Store without a syncing, and another product for the Consumer is a Media Kiosk within the Store, come up scan a barcode to connect you to the Kiosk and go through a catalog of Digital content, Music/Movies/TV shows for purchase directly to your phone, there are lots of ways to go to the Next level in technology to bring the consumer into a location and make additional sales.
    09-12-10 08:00 PM

The problem is that Apple negotiated that pricing with AT&T for exclusivity and it worked out well for AT&T. I don't think that RIM quite has the bargaining power at this point to get the type of subsidization that AT&T gives to Apple with AT&T or any carrier at this point. Plus the other issue is that all of the Android phones out now are running about $500 retail max, with verizon having one @$569. If they come out with a $599 Blackberry it better be much better than anything of late, and when sitting in the store next to an iPhone and/or Android make people say I want that.

Smartphone sweet spot in the US is $199, so people have to really want a device for the carrier to want to eat the difference that much.

Blackberry should take a page out of Samsung's book, the Galaxy S is available or will be on every carrier soon. They just worked with the carriers to do a little something different but everyone gets one. Exclusivity is killing Torch sales, and has restricted the Storm's penetration. All they need to do is develop the phone, build some hype, and then the carriers will be wanting to carry it and not offer exclusivity.
    09-12-10 08:27 PM
    Apple doesn't have Kiosks, but I think RIM should,

As you said it would be a challenge to have a retail store for just Blackberry / RIM product, BUT! I do think it could work, in major centres, RIM does a bad job showing off what it has to offer, and I think the Potential of a RIM store, with RIM trained corporate business people they could be assisting in selling both the retail side to the consumer as well as being a place that IT could come and see BES core products, and MVS products. you wouldn't see tones of RIM stores, but the top 10 Business capitals in North America would be good locations to do it in, and as you said if the Blackpad is successful, then that is a place to make money with it, and hopefully RIM will dive deeper into hardware peripherals, or peripheral partnerships.

this is getting off topic, but Ideally RIM would build a device that allowed app purchases in Store and installed to the DB from the Store without a syncing, and another product for the Consumer is a Media Kiosk within the Store, come up scan a barcode to connect you to the Kiosk and go through a catalog of Digital content, Music/Movies/TV shows for purchase directly to your phone, there are lots of ways to go to the Next level in technology to bring the consumer into a location and make additional sales.
    I agree that a RIM kiosk is pretty good idea. I know I would definitely stop at one!

Idk, maybe a RIM store could survive. I've seen stores flop at the Mall Of America that I thought were based on better concepts than a RIM store though.

Personally, I think what RIM needs to do is first kick up their hardware specs and then advertise the specs like you see in android commercials. It's a proven effective tactic.
    09-12-10 08:52 PM
    I would GLADLY pay $249 or $299 instead of $199 subsidized for a "super" Storm and I think many others would too. The problem right now is that at $199 subsidized (historically speaking at release) it's overpriced in comparison to the competition. But if RIM were to truly turn the Storm into a class leading top of the line device I think most of us would be happy to spend another $50 or so as long as it's kick azz!

And when you think about what it actually costs RIM to make the phones I bet the production cost for the "super" Storm would only be an extra $20 or so. So they could potentially give us what we really want and still make some extra profit too, keeping in mind that a kick azz phone will bring in more customers.

The technology is there for what the users are asking for.
    09-12-10 08:56 PM
    I would GLADLY pay $249 or $299 instead of $199 subsidized for a "super" Storm and I think many others would too. The problem right now is that at $199 subsidized (historically speaking at release) it's overpriced in comparison to the competition. But if RIM were to truly turn the Storm into a class leading top of the line device I think most of us would be happy to spend another $50 or so as long as it's kick azz!

And when you think about what it actually costs RIM to make the phones I bet the production cost for the "super" Storm would only be an extra $20 or so. So they could potentially give us what we really want and still make some extra profit too, keeping in mind that a kick azz phone will bring in more customers.

The technology is there for what the users are asking for.
    I would also gladly pay at least $299 for a storm with the specs I mentioned . Too bad Samsung is going to beat RIM to the built in projector and we'll probably never see a Netflix app.
    09-12-10 09:05 PM
    Whatever they do, let them please PLEASE keep SurePress but with the option to disable. I LOVE SurePress but acknowledge that there are times when turning it off would be handy.
    5MP camera, anything more is unnecessary on a phone.
    Make the BB faster and have more onboard memory. Allow it to support a 32g sd card.
    HD video wouldn't be a bad thing but I'm not greedy

09-12-10 09:51 PM
    I like where this thread is going. It's going to kill the deal for me if there's no SurePress though.
    09-12-10 10:36 PM
    1GHz processor
    Executing memory being differentiated from app storage memory.
    the barcode scanner be in a more prominent location (or built into the camera app itself)
    better video recording. 720p please
    the rumored "liquid lens" camera technology
    little better resolution
    more Bluetooth features, such as file transfer. true bluetooth sync would be nice.
    09-12-10 10:43 PM
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say a OS optimised for 1ghz processor, rather than the latter alone.
    09-12-10 11:12 PM
    Android OS.
    09-12-10 11:19 PM
    The problem is that Apple negotiated that pricing with AT&T for exclusivity and it worked out well for AT&T. I don't think that RIM quite has the bargaining power at this point to get the type of subsidization that AT&T gives to Apple with AT&T or any carrier at this point. Plus the other issue is that all of the Android phones out now are running about $500 retail max, with verizon having one @$569. If they come out with a $599 Blackberry it better be much better than anything of late, and when sitting in the store next to an iPhone and/or Android make people say I want that.

Smartphone sweet spot in the US is $199, so people have to really want a device for the carrier to want to eat the difference that much.

Blackberry should take a page out of Samsung's book, the Galaxy S is available or will be on every carrier soon. They just worked with the carriers to do a little something different but everyone gets one. Exclusivity is killing Torch sales, and has restricted the Storm's penetration. All they need to do is develop the phone, build some hype, and then the carriers will be wanting to carry it and not offer exclusivity.

I don't see the Major Problem with Exclusivity, and RIM has fantastic relationships with the clients, RIM's Retail vs Sale cost to the Carrier do not have to line up exactly with Margins, What RIM can offer is a higher Margin on retail sales, which is supported though having a retail outlet, Which I am sure Apple is doing, just as Sony has done for years with Sony Stores, the added cost to selling a HIGH END Blackberry would potentially be a $200 parts cost (10-12% more than iPhone) with a 30% Margin that is a sell price of $285 to the Carrier, with lower traffic requirements than the other smartphones having to discount $86 for the high end phone which will being larger packages even if not utilized will still be a sound business decision IMO,

I would also gladly pay at least $299 for a storm with the specs I mentioned . Too bad Samsung is going to beat RIM to the built in projector and we'll probably never see a Netflix app.
    You should be emailing Netflix saying you want a Blackberry App.
    I wouldn't want one, nor would the majority of the Blackberry owners just because of data costs outside the US, so seeing a native Netflix app would be far fetched.

I also don't see them ever including a built in projector, just as a HDMI out port they are far to gimmicky and cost prohibitive to include into a phone that needs mass appeal, I really would like to See RIM partner up and create a Pico Projector with a Battery Pack to connect to my Phone for presentations, the same with a Portable battery powered printer that links to my BB wirelessly, and a maybe a USB+Aux to HDMI hub that can be plugged into the phone, these would all go into my notebook bag, but are not things I'd need even on a weekly basis.
    09-13-10 12:23 AM
    Android OS.
    That would signal the death of RIM to me, and I'd be heavily looking at WinMo 7 to fill in the Enterpise gap and move to them.
    09-13-10 12:24 AM
    Android OS.
    No thanks.....
    09-13-10 12:43 AM
103 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD