I have a issue that I hope Crackberry nation can help with. My wife is using my old storm and is not really digging the touchscreen. Now this is all touchscreen phones (hates her bro's iphone) not just the storm. I have had her use the tour for a few days and she doesn't like the keyboard at all. She is refusing to give up her BB and I am refusing to let her get something that's soon to be outdated. So what is VZW's upcoming BB line up looking like? What will be replacing the curve?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-09 05:44 PM
    Let the "you posted this in the wrong forum" flaming begin!!!
    10-07-09 05:46 PM
    Crap! Guess it would have helped to make sure I was in the right one. My bad. Flame on!

10-07-09 05:49 PM
    Lol, well the 8530 is supposed to hit VZW pretty soon, that's an upgrade of the curve, you might want to look into that...
    10-07-09 05:52 PM
    Wait for 8530, dont be a victim of the Tour.
    10-07-09 05:55 PM
    Thanks that's what I need to here!

10-07-09 05:56 PM
    That's terrible advice. The Tour is a way way way better phone than the 8530. Its better in ever single category. The 8530 is a multimedia curve and that's it. The Tour has better everything. Ok, it doesn't have play/pause/ff/rw buttons on the top.....which is silly imo.

Go with the Tour. Its a great phone. Trackball issues have been solved on newer models.

10-07-09 06:03 PM
    Sorry should have clarified. I have the tour and love it. Wife just can't stand the keyboard layout of it.

10-07-09 06:08 PM
    As a user of the Tour, Bold and iPhone... I love my Tour.
    10-07-09 06:11 PM
    Tour doesnt have wifi Wifi is a selling point for me, and i know the 8530 doesnt have some slump processor either...in fact i really wouldn't be surprised if it was the same as the Tour.

You'd be sacrificing a better keyboard (barely, both are too small for my liking, which is why i got rid of my 8900 for a 9000 but the keys are better on the Tour)
    Using a trackball (i prefer trackball, but trackpad is the future and is gonna be less hassle, especially if you dont feel like changing trackballs when they get dirty)
    Wifi (no brainer here to be honest, 8530 has the Tour beat)
    Lower Res Camera (moot to me, maybe not her)
    Lower Res Screen (big deal to nerds and tech gadgets aficionados, doubt his wife gives a ****)

If your gonna blow a upgrade, hold out for the Essex, i hear its around the corner to make Tour owners angry lol
    10-07-09 06:17 PM
    Tour doesnt have wifi Wifi is a selling point for me, and i know the 8530 doesnt have some slump processor either...in fact i really wouldn't be surprised if it was the same as the Tour.

You'd be sacrificing a better keyboard (barely, both are too small for my liking, which is why i got rid of my 8900 for a 9000 but the keys are better on the Tour)
    Using a trackball (i prefer trackball, but trackpad is the future and is gonna be less hassle, especially if you dont feel like changing trackballs when they get dirty)
    Wifi (no brainer here to be honest, 8530 has the Tour beat)
    Lower Res Camera (moot to me, maybe not her)
    Lower Res Screen (big deal to nerds and tech gadgets aficionados, doubt his wife gives a ****)

If your gonna blow a upgrade, hold out for the Essex, i hear its around the corner to make Tour owners angry lol
    WiFi has never been, and I can never see it being, a deal breaker. With the current technology and Verizon's coverage, I have never found my self wishing I had it. That's why my Tour will soon replace my Bold all together.

Now, with At&t... well that's another story. I curse my Bold & iPhone coverage.
    10-07-09 06:20 PM
    A phone having wifi is not even a concern. It is imo a pointless waste of space and battery life. Her biggest issue is it not wanting a touchscreen and it can't have the same keyboard as the tour. So for her the 8530 would be a good solid phone.

10-07-09 06:32 PM
    WiFi has never been, and I can never see it being, a deal breaker. With the current technology and Verizon's coverage, I have never found my self wishing I had it. That's why my Tour will soon replace my Bold all together.

Now, with At&t... well that's another story. I curse my Bold & iPhone coverage.
    I would beg to differ. Wifi for some isnt that big of a deal because "yeah i got coverage" But not all places will have coverage, i walk inside my apartment back when i had my Storm, id have to lay a certain way on my bed to get more than 1 bar of 1XEV. Blows but its the truth.

Wifi speeds are faster than OTA 3G (unless you have ****ty wifi then yeah its superior).

Like ive said and preached before, your coverage WILL NOT BE EVERYWHERE.

As a communications device (to communicate in different ways) not having wifi is about as absurd as they come. I would pass on the Tour in a heartbeat to have a device with wifi and the exact same coverage. I would bet that for some people who had an OG Storm not having wifi is was as stupid as they come but they claimed they had the network so they didnt need wifi. Now their jumping at the chance to the Storm 2 cause it has *gasp* wifi.

Edit: with that said, how many will get the Essex cause it has wifi?
    10-07-09 06:34 PM
    i thought verizon was getting the 8930 not the 8530
    10-07-09 09:06 PM
    I would beg to differ. Wifi for some isnt that big of a deal because "yeah i got coverage" But not all places will have coverage, i walk inside my apartment back when i had my Storm, id have to lay a certain way on my bed to get more than 1 bar of 1XEV. Blows but its the truth.

Wifi speeds are faster than OTA 3G (unless you have ****ty wifi then yeah its superior).

Like ive said and preached before, your coverage WILL NOT BE EVERYWHERE.

As a communications device (to communicate in different ways) not having wifi is about as absurd as they come. I would pass on the Tour in a heartbeat to have a device with wifi and the exact same coverage. I would bet that for some people who had an OG Storm not having wifi is was as stupid as they come but they claimed they had the network so they didnt need wifi. Now their jumping at the chance to the Storm 2 cause it has *gasp* wifi.

Edit: with that said, how many will get the Essex cause it has wifi?
    I won't replace my tour for an essex just because it has wifi. Actually the only reason I like the essex over the tour is because of the trackpad. And of course you need wifi, you have tmo

10-09-09 07:52 PM
    Verizon is def getting the 8530 Verizon is never getting 8930. It will be an Asia release if at all. it is already too similar to the tour in all specs. just a different keyboard and trackpad, they will be getting the trackpad in the essex. No need to release to identical devices with just the keyboard being the difference.
    10-09-09 08:29 PM
    LOL, nice avatar
    10-09-09 09:43 PM
    I won't replace my tour for an essex just because it has wifi. Actually the only reason I like the essex over the tour is because of the trackpad. And of course you need wifi, you have tmo

That's the one big advantage t-mobile has, they support UMA which is AMAZING and gives me perfect coverage at every person's house I go to and on campus and in basements where coverage is non-existant.
    10-09-09 10:30 PM
    Lol, well the 8530 is supposed to hit VZW pretty soon, that's an upgrade of the curve, you might want to look into that...
    IMHO the 8530 is an entry level BB and would be somewhat of a down grade to the Curve and definitely to the Tour
    10-10-09 07:30 PM
    IMHO the 8530 is an entry level BB and would be somewhat of a down grade to the Curve and definitely to the Tour
    How the **** is the 85xx a downgrade from an 83xx when it's a better phone with a trackpad and newer os??
    10-10-09 09:24 PM
    less options, no flash on the camera
    10-11-09 05:47 AM
    less options, no flash on the camera
    Less options? You mean less colors? Who cares about the flash, it's gonna take crap pictures in the dark no matter if it has a flash or not. I'll take a faster phone with a better input device over a mostly useless LED.
    10-11-09 12:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD