I see this term used all over this forum, especially when referring to the upcoming Storm 3 (or Storm 4 or the "Odin Refresh").

What is a "refresh" and why are most people disappointed with it want the real "Storm 4"?

BTW, I tried the Storm 2 in January of this year and hated it, went right back to my Curve, so I am very anxious to check out the next Storm.
    08-18-10 06:30 AM
    I think you equate it to RIM realizing the devices shortcomings, and when they create the next in line, they increase those shortcomings or make them better. For IE the Storm refresh would have 512 MB ram and other enhancements.
    08-18-10 07:04 AM
    Thanks, but that didn't really answer the question......
    08-18-10 07:07 AM
    Refresh:To renew or revitalize.
    08-18-10 07:14 AM
    According to the rumors, we might see two new Storm devices come out in the coming months/year.

First, the Storm "refresh" or Storm 2.5, 3 or whatever it might be called. Which is nothing more than a Storm 2 with more memory to run OS6. Hence the moniker "refresh".

Second, the Storm 4. Which is, again according to the rumors, a LTE/4G device. This may get a new OS kernel that is not java.

Hope that helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-10 07:42 AM
    RIM is working on 2 new version of the Storm line, one is a simple refresh, they have just up the stats of the Storm2 a bit to make it able to run 6.0, this is the Odin Refresh, which we believe will be numbered 9570, and may or may not be called Storm3 or might be called Storm2 refresh. It is a Storm2 with a slightly better camera 5MPs instead of 3.2, and twice the flash memory 512 instead of 256, otherwise it remains the same. The other device, which will be the REAL next Storm and MAY be called the Storm3 or Storm4, or may have another name, and the model number is not known will have MUCH better stats. It will have a 1 Ghz processor, possibly 1G Flash mem, totally new OS, etc

EDIT: Oh yea, thanks Craterz, the 2nd coming Storm is expected to be an LTE/4G device, one of Verizon's 1st or 2nd such devices, of the 4G era.
    08-18-10 07:45 AM
    RIM is working on 2 new version of the Storm line, one is a simple refresh, they have just up the stats of the Storm2 a bit to make it able to run 6.0, this is the Odin Refresh, which we believe will be numbered 9570, and may or may not be called Storm3 or might be called Storm2 refresh. It is a Storm2 with a slightly better camera 5MPs instead of 3.2, and twice the flash memory 512 instead of 256, otherwise it remains the same. The other device, which will be the REAL next Storm and MAY be called the Storm3 or Storm4, or may have another name, and the model number is not known will have MUCH better stats. It will have a 1 Ghz processor, possibly 1G Flash mem, totally new OS, etc

EDIT: Oh yea, thanks Craterz, the 2nd coming Storm is expected to be an LTE/4G device, one of Verizon's 1st or 2nd such devices, of the 4G era.
    glad to hear some credible information finally. i came across this today...
    BlackBerry Storm 3 vs Torch 9800: Specs Compared : Product Reviews Net
    and it's obviously the Storm 2 refresh you speak of. I'm very excited about the Storm3/4. Do you have ANY speculation on when it may be released?
    08-18-10 09:42 AM
    Early to Mid 2011, as early as Feb/March and as late as April/May, it is expected to be Verizon's first or 2nd (I'm betting 2nd) LTE device. (Phone that is, they WILL have modem cards first) I believe an android phone will be first out the door, but we probably won't see LTE phone until early 2011. LTE modem cards we will probably get for Christmas. This will of course only be in big cities. Philly, New York, Chicago, etc.
    08-18-10 10:53 AM
    a refresh means to fix the issues with the first screw up that was done and come out with a device a year later that is labled "what the first device should of been." Then what you have left is recycled product that has outdated hardware that is dated by 1 and sometimes up to 2 years! We saw this with Storm 1 going on to 2, we saw this with the Tour going on to Tour 2 (AKA 9650) and we're seeing it now with the Storm 3!

If the Storm 1 was a disaster, and the Storm 2 a year later is what the Storm 1 should of been, and then the Storm 3 is a mere refresh of the Storm that Should of been, what does that make the Storm 3, a refresh of 2 year old tech???
    08-18-10 10:28 PM
    a refresh means to fix the issues with the first screw up that was done and come out with a device a year later that is labled "what the first device should of been." Then what you have left is recycled product that has outdated hardware that is dated by 1 and sometimes up to 2 years! We saw this with Storm 1 going on to 2, we saw this with the Tour going on to Tour 2 (AKA 9650) and we're seeing it now with the Storm 3!

If the Storm 1 was a disaster, and the Storm 2 a year later is what the Storm 1 should of been, and then the Storm 3 is a mere refresh of the Storm that Should of been, what does that make the Storm 3, a refresh of 2 year old tech???
    I still don't get why rim do this in their minds they think their making money but their loosing their customers.
    08-29-10 12:30 AM
    ===== QUOTE RicanMedic78 ====

===== /QUOTE ====

I still don't get why rim do this in their minds they think their making money but their loosing their customers.
    Use a tour and ull understand why. It was so flippin bad they had to drop a refresh after a year.....now the 9700 I don't know why they are doing a refresh. The 9300 is a refresh too...and the 9100.

RIM needs some more devices like the 9800. Out of the box thinking

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-29-10 07:31 AM
    yeah marketing a storm 2.5 against other touchscreen devices like the htc desire has been out for a while now and will soon be followed by a HD version of it will have their marketing department working overtime trying to convince users that this storm is worth upgrading/buying. RIM must value the storm line enough to not have it disappear into obscurity which in part explains the refresh even though it isn't the true successor of the storm and as such RIM were caught off guard due to some unforeseen delay.

On the other hand, refreshing a model and slipping it into the same market bracket as the one they are replacing is okay with me as long as the price doesn't rise! It will seat nicely right beside a torch 9800 (specs) especially for those looking for a touch only device that will probably be slimmer and weigh less whilst running RIM's newest operating system.

Similar in how sony marketed their Playstation 3 e.g PS3 "slim" where it was able to cut down on size and improve on power management whilst bringing down the overall price.
    Last edited by zensen; 08-29-10 at 08:19 AM.
    08-29-10 07:56 AM
    The 9300 is a refresh too...and the 9100.
    The 9100 far exceeds a refresh IMO.
    08-29-10 03:33 PM
    its sad cause the BB Storm 2 is a quality product and if it just had the specs to match, it would be a super hot device! The click screen has been perfected now and the form factor, feel, weight, network, all speak "Quality!" If the specs were to be even on parr with the competition from earlier this year only, this phone would be a sure success! 512mb of ram for the end of 2010 is a disgrace!
    08-29-10 11:28 PM
    I hope the S3 is more than a simple refresh...RIM needs a smash hit device to put them back on the map. Releasing a S3 with 512 mb as the only upgrade would be a serious setback

08-30-10 10:03 AM
    Also, the rumors add MiFi (wireless hotspot) ability on the refresh Storm. S4 is also said to be losing the click screen. I didn't see that posted here, but I may have missed it. Lastly, the S4 is rumored to be rocking the new QNX OS rather than BB6. It would be a break away device for RIM.

Last edited by gregerator; 08-31-10 at 08:20 PM.
    08-31-10 08:18 PM
    Also, the rumors add MiFi (wireless hotspot) ability on the refresh Storm. S4 is also said to be losing the click screen. I didn't see that posted here, but I may have missed it. Lastly, the S4 is rumored to be rocking the new QNX OS rather than BB6. It would be a break away device for RIM.

Yeah, I heard about the new OS....it will also be LTE if I'm not mistaken

09-05-10 06:56 PM
    A refresh is to phones what carmakers call a facelift...
    Hope this is layman enuff...
    09-06-10 05:10 AM
    I would say a"refresh" is essentially an upgrade where the changes in softwere and hardware aren't enough to assign a whole model number.

The Odin refresh essentially boosts the memory from 256 to 512, and I believe OS 6 will be included... That is about it. Same 3 year-behind-the-competition processor, same screen, same. Everything else.... So it would be silly to give it a new name. Calling it a storm 3 will ne pushing the boundries of good judgement as it is.

09-08-10 01:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD