04-14-13 05:31 PM
95 1234
tools
    distinct share is a relative term i believe the current torch users to be a camp that wants its cake, and eats it too. dollars to doughnuts, q10 reverters ante bellum would be null to extremely few for torch users.

diminishing returns to market such a resource draining device (in comparison) sets my expectations as pretty muted to say the least.
    Last edited by sm4k; 03-13-13 at 12:08 PM.
    03-13-13 11:47 AM
    Agreed. I truly don't understand why, in 2013, RIM is launching with an old-school QWERTY non-slider form factor. Full-touch and slider should be the form factors--no compromises.
    Probably because most of their 79 million customers likely use QWERTY non-slider devices and because upgrade customers are far easier to get than switchers. Look at how many complaints their are here about Q10 being delayed vs. there not being a slider. Whenever I go out, if someone is using a BlackBerry, it's like 20 - 1 for 9900 vs. 9810 devices.
    03-13-13 12:22 PM
    I've never had a Blackberry before, as I'm switching from a 4 year old iPhone 3gs. I really dislike it. I'm looking at the Blackberry London, but I am interested in having a go at the iconic Blackberry physical keyboard. Does anyone believe in a BB10 slider phone.
    Well they for sure will make a slider BlackBerry and hopefully it will look like this

What is the likelyhood of a BB10 Slider?-blackberry-blade-concept-1.jpg

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 12:36 PM
    Well they for sure will make a slider BlackBerry and hopefully it will look like this
    Or perhaps they could make one with enough room to actually include a battery since those are kind of useful in mobile phones.
    03-13-13 05:03 PM
    distinct share is a relative term i believe the current torch users to be a camp that wants its cake, and eats it too. dollars to doughnuts, q10 reverters ante bellum would be null to extremely few for torch users.
    It is not just the q10 that will take up some of the torch audience, the z10 will also do likewise for now, once the overall bb10 market grows large enough there will be room for a niche form factor like a slider, but not right now.
    03-13-13 05:06 PM
    It is not just the q10 that will take up some of the torch audience, the z10 will also do likewise for now, once the overall bb10 market grows large enough there will be room for a niche form factor like a slider, but not right now.
    Exactly. When the first Torch came out, it sold reasonably well. There's an interview with Andrew Bocking on the web where he talks about the 'millions of Torch users" when discussing BlackBerry 7 and the new 9810.

When the 9810 came out, the 9900 was there too. And the 9900 seemed to take all the oxygen for the 9810. As I said above, I often see the 9900. I seldom see the 9810.
    03-13-13 06:52 PM
    Exactly. When the first Torch came out, it sold reasonably well. There's an interview with Andrew Bocking on the web where he talks about the 'millions of Torch users" when discussing BlackBerry 7 and the new 9810.

When the 9810 came out, the 9900 was there too. And the 9900 seemed to take all the oxygen for the 9810. As I said above, I often see the 9900. I seldom see the 9810.
    To be fair to the slider market, don't forget that the 9800 was an ATT exclusive. The 9810 was short-lived on T-Mobile and there was never a CDMA version. The 99xx devices were on all US carriers so it is no wonder there is a difference.

I used a 9800 for a while and liked the physical kb better than the on-screen one but didn't LOVE the physical KB like I do on the 9900. If they could make it more like that and slip it behind a nice big screen, I'd buy one.
    03-13-13 08:16 PM
    To be fair to the slider market, don't forget that the 9800 was an ATT exclusive. The 9810 was short-lived on T-Mobile and there was never a CDMA version. The 99xx devices were on all US carriers so it is no wonder there is a difference.

I used a 9800 for a while and liked the physical kb better than the on-screen one but didn't LOVE the physical KB like I do on the 9900. If they could make it more like that and slip it behind a nice big screen, I'd buy one.
    The most telling factors on us not getting a slider any time soon would be things like one potential model already being canned along with carriers outside the states that did not have any exclusivity issue choosing to pass on the 9810 and only release the 9900.

I personally would not tend to use one, but in the future I hope for sure that we do see a slider as that means that bb10 is doing well enough that there is the market for more than just the core form factors which is good for all of us, I simply do not expect that to be the case this year and think that anyone pinning their hopes on one being an unannounced device for this year are going to be sorely disappointed when one doesn't get released.
    03-14-13 06:22 AM
    In Canada, you could typically get both 9900 and 9810 on multiple carriers. The 9900 ate it for lunch in that scenario too. Just looking at Futureshop.ca, I see plenty of models of BOLD for sale, but only a refurbished 9800 for sale.

That was my biggest problem with the Torch when I had it ... I couldn't stand the mushy keyboard or the annoying lip around the edge. And it was pretty sluggish, but I found the 9810 to be pretty snappy when I tried it. But the keyboard was still crappy for me.
    03-14-13 12:08 PM
    Definitely echo RC76's sentiments in regards to Canadian market.. also went 9800 to 9810 soon after release.

My transition from 8700 to the 9800 was pretty seamless though, no issue with keyboard design personally. maybe because it was such a huge leap in all other areas
    03-14-13 12:38 PM
    Likely hood of a slider never

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 04:29 PM
    Slider gives a keyboard and a bigger screen. Whats not to love ?
    03-14-13 07:20 PM
    Likely hood of a slider never

Posted via CB10
    Never say never.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 09:28 PM
    I had a 9810 before the Z10. Love the slider. Had debated about waiting for a possible slider. I'm extremely happy with the Z10 but am curious about a slider BB10 phone as well.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 10:29 PM
    Slider gives a keyboard and a bigger screen. Whats not to love ?
    Bulkier and heavier device combined with other compromises (keyboard on Torch was never up to standard of a Bold) mean that it is not the best of both worlds that slider fans would try to claim.
    03-15-13 09:21 AM
    And as a fan the Torch 9810 was and is a great phone.

Posted via CB10
    anon5129477 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-15-13 10:05 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blackberry-Blade-Concept-1.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	140940

Posted via CB10
    Yes, everyone loves the blade concept.

Only one problem: It's impossible to build.
    We simply can't do curved screens, despite what you think
    Additionally the motherboard would also have to be curved, and we don't have the technology for that.
    And there's no room for chips on the motherboard, a battery, or even a durable sliding mechanism!

People keep on bringing out the blade concept, but that's what it is: a concept. It's impossible to build, and sets an unrealistic expectation.

Take the 9800. it's a chunky fat-***. That's due to the sliding mechanism and having two separate frames. Anyone who thinks that Blackberry can just squat out a slider as thin as the Z10 is deluded.
    03-15-13 02:14 PM
    Everybody knows the keyboard is a little smaller on the 9810 than the Bolds. 9810 keyboard was bigger than any Palm webos phone so theres a whole bunch of people that would love the 9810 Keyboard just out of existence.

I dont understand you people beating up the 9810 for the thickness. Its not bad at all. A phone shouldnt be super thin either. We need to be able to hang on to it. Pistols are thick. 9mm pistols are easier to carry around than a 45 cal . but still if you got big hands you want something to hold onto. If you got small hands your not dropping the 9810 ...you got something to hold onto!!!!!!!

The Z10 is an awesome phone but it will see the beginning similar to the first droid. Many phone will come in the next year and the next BB10 phones will be blowing these launch phones away. The slider filled a need that alot of people wanted, both worlds. I hope BB brings back the choice of a slider. I think the 9810 could have been wider and taller and still be a great seller. The only thing that held the 9810 back from better sales was the existence of WebOS and OS7. Had HP went all in on WebOS the Pre 3 could have been a better phone than the 9810 easy. WebOS was cool to use on the Pre 3 but suffered from the plug being pulled. The 9810 is a snappier phone but lacks the coolness, and games that WebOS had PERIOD.
    Last edited by Motorhead777; 03-15-13 at 08:01 PM.
    03-15-13 07:50 PM
    People keep repeating this mantra that the slider filled a need that a lot of people wanted, but there is ample evidence in countries that stocked 9900 and 9810 or in countries that skipped the 9810 completely that the demand is not actually that big.
    03-16-13 06:17 AM
    Yes, everyone loves the blade concept.

Only one problem: It's impossible to build.
    We simply can't do curved screens, despite what you think
    Additionally the motherboard would also have to be curved, and we don't have the technology for that.
    And there's no room for chips on the motherboard, a battery, or even a durable sliding mechanism
    Impossible like dividing a number by zero? Or impossible like indoor plumbing for the 12th century?

Either way i think you are quite mistaken. Just a quick search reveals otherwise.

Technologically, i could have manufactured a curved motherboard back in high school with a magic marker, some silver foil and nitric acid.

Did you intend to get across that the blade concept is simply not feasible for BB right now? Maybe so but not for the issues you have cited.

Personally i like a more bulky phone, i tend to put a lot of wear on my devices and heft bodes well for their longevity

People keep repeating this mantra that the slider filled a need that a lot of people wanted, but there is ample evidence in countries that stocked 9900 and 9810 or in countries that skipped the 9810 completely that the demand is not actually that big.
    App availability and stale marketing, coupled with consumer enamuration with the competitions offerings cooled movement of all models really. As well as affordability of some models for developing economies.

Last edited by sm4k; 03-16-13 at 01:13 PM.
    03-16-13 12:50 PM
    Impossible like dividing a number by zero? Or impossible like indoor plumbing for the 12th century?

Either way i think you are quite mistaken. Just a quick search reveals otherwise.

Technologically, i could have manufactured a curved motherboard back in high school with a magic marker, some silver foil and nitric acid.
    Yes, but how durable would that motherboard be? It has to be mass-produced in large quantities and an acceptable cost.

and you still haven't explained where the internal chips will fit. And they certainly will NOT be curved (which is especially important for the cpu, which would be over a square inch in size).

Not to mention that you still didn't explain where the battery, cameras, and speaker components will fit. or the chassis and sliding mechanism that keeps it all together.

That being said: flexible displays are still deep in development, and we have no idea what the cost would be.

Of course it might be possible, but not at a price that Blackberry can actually sell it at.
    03-16-13 01:29 PM
    would definitely take some clever engineering no doubt.

I have no attachment to the concept over a 2D slider myself, as long as we get a slider soon.
    03-16-13 01:54 PM
    I know where you're coming from with the slider. I was kinda hoping that they would release one, in fact I was shocked when they didn't! For me and probably many other users the keyboard and larger screen is the USP for blackberry for me anyway. Maybe if BB were to bring out a slider it would be more along the lines of Nokia Google Image Result for http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/09/10x0914nojar3ur5e7.jpg that surely would be what business users would be going for.
    Try using that thing one handed ;-)

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 08:48 AM
    I agree that a slider would be a good thing. It obviously would be quite a bit thicker than the Z10, but considering progress in technology and manufacturing techniques I believe it would be way thinner than the 9810 which was developed quite a few years back. The 9810 was quite ok, even tough touch experience, browser and software was not on the same level as the competition. But just imagine a thiner, lighter and well designed slider running BB10! I wouldn't care if it was a bit thicker and heavier as the Z10. In the meantime I will be waiting for the Q10 and take the hit of having a way smaller display...

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 09:27 AM
    Really? One-handed. Yeah, that would be a major issue for someone. Guys, I still think they should add the Slider to the line. The device would sell like the others with proper advertising.....which was part of the problem. Also, don't start picking at members because some of you don't like or want it. Also, unless you're one of the 12 Apostles, quit trying to post like your words are gospel or maybe the Great Oz.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk on OS hybrid- Mu Prime v2....like butta! (*_~)
    03-17-13 09:57 AM
95 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD