View Poll Results: What if BIS + BES aren't on the new QNX phone ?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll stick with BlackBerry no matter what.

7 31.82%
  • I'm gonna wait and look before I jump onboard.

11 50.00%
  • I think I'm probably going to start looking elsewhere.

4 18.18%
    Basically as the title says -

If BIS and/or BES in their current form is missing from the first QNX phone - will you still be getting one ?

I'm on the fence as the only feature I would then be staying with BlackBerry for is the physical keyboard and the first QNX phone won't even have that.

Will I get it just to have the latest BlackBerry or will this be the end of the road for me until they release something with BIS+BES and a physical keyboard ?

What's your thoughts ? Practical thoughts only please, no ranting for either side.
    09-20-11 10:36 PM
    I assume EAS would be what they would switch to then?
    09-20-11 10:49 PM
    It seems quite early in the development to start taking rumors as fact.

If the first version doesn't have BES support, we would probably wait for the next version that has it. I just don't see them scrapping it...
    09-21-11 12:09 AM
    The following two points are pretty much set in stone :

1) The first QNX phone won't have BES it will as howarmat says have some sort of EAS system - with the phone polling the Exchange server for updates so not as push as the current setup and probably more of a battery hog.

2) The first QNX phone won't have a physical keyboard it will be a touch device.

We know these two are pretty solid facts, but from what I am hearing and what has been mentioned a few times, BIS in its current encarnation does not work on QNX, what we will probably get is an IMAP/POP client for the phone like every other manufacturer, now whether BES and BIS eventually get onto the QNX phones or even the PB eventually is another matter entirely, I'm not debating that as I don't know. I do know they will not launch with the first phone, not really a rumor, just a very logical conclusion based on all the facts infront of us.

I do know BES(x)+Office365 is in closed beta right now, and it would be silly of RIM to be still putting software into pre-production that it would be eventually killing off, so if Microsoft wants Exchange to shift largely into the cloud with Office365 and RIM is going in that direction I think BES will then somehow make it onto phones in the near future, we know RIM doesn't do dates very well, so that near future could be a long time from now.

My questioning mainly sits around the fact of will you buy the new QNX phone knowing that it doesn't have :

1) BES (set in stone)
    2) BIS (in all probability)
    3) Physical Keyboard (set in stone)

I'd love to eat my own words and see BIS launch on the QNX phone, but from what I've been seeing and hearing internally at my company and on the web, it looks unlikely that it will launch with any B?S functionality.

Then you have to ask yourself, in all honesty, if you are getting a phone with a touch screen and EAS functionality, what is the difference between that and an iPhone with something like WhatsApp ? If you're honest the answer would be that the iPhone would probably take the crown purely based on its apps, you could shout BBM, but I just covered that with WhatsApp.

Unless RIM have something major that I am completely missing here, then I'm just basically at a loss as to where they're going at all anymore.

Anyway that sounded a bit morbid towards the end, lets just get back to the poll at hand lol !
    Last edited by DangerMouseUK; 09-21-11 at 02:49 AM.
    09-21-11 02:41 AM
    for me it doesnt matter since i have no BES anyway. Activesync fulfills my needs and i actually would love to see that available on a BB. I will still buy a full touch QNX phone day one as long as they dont try and charge a ridiculous price off contract for it.
    09-21-11 02:54 AM
    I'll get it. The only BIS only service I use is BBM and that's only with one contact. We could text.

I would prefer a physical KB. But if the virtual one on the QNX phones is large enough and works well I'll give it a shot. I'll still have my off contract 9930 and can switch at will.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-21-11 02:59 AM
    My questioning mainly sits around the fact of will you buy the new QNX phone knowing that it doesn't have :

1) BES (set in stone)
    2) BIS (in all probability)
    3) Physical Keyboard (set in stone)

I'd love to eat my own words and see BIS launch on the QNX phone, but from what I've been seeing and hearing internally at my company and on the web, it looks unlikely that it will launch with any B?S functionality.
    So is it unlikely OR set in stone? Please provide a link to these "stones"
    09-21-11 03:22 AM
    09-21-11 03:54 AM
    DM i know you have some other info you arent sharing about this too lol
    09-21-11 04:32 AM
    Personally, I wouldn't call articles with "may" or "might" in the title as "set in stone".

Maybe I'm just splitting hairs...
    09-21-11 04:50 AM
    You could be right and I'd hope you are, but I guess for now it can just be a what-if poll !

howarmat @ I do but to be honest at the moment its as reliable as the other news articles, I don't even think RIM know what is going to be in the released phone, it's going to come down to how much is done by the time the HW is ready to mass produce, much like the PB saga.
    09-21-11 11:48 AM
    Is the security in BIS and BES or in the OS?

If it's not in the OS then the only reason to buy would be because you like the phone, interface etc.

It's evident that most people simply don't care or don't think about it. Just look at what sells.
    09-21-11 01:02 PM
    Is the security in BIS and BES or in the OS?

If it's not in the OS then the only reason to buy would be because you like the phone, interface etc.

It's evident that most people simply don't care or don't think about it. Just look at what sells.
    And those same uncaring people are clamoring to get NFC on their phones...
    09-21-11 01:15 PM
    The inherent security in BES is three fold - Exchange-BES-Phone

Its the fact that there's a secure link maintained between all three if configured properly.

I'm not really so fussed about that per-se.

It's just if they give me a mail client 90% identical to that on the iPhone and a touch screen about the same size as an iPhone running QNX a platform I would say is not that much better from a consumer POV to iOS then why am I buying this new QNX phone over an iPhone 5 for example ?

It's certainly not going to be for the app selection . . .
    09-21-11 02:24 PM
    Good point. If RIM crashes and burns my next choice will probably be win8 and I'll just have to learn to adapt even though just looking at the interface I don't really care for it either.
    09-21-11 09:00 PM
    My god tell me about it,

I downloaded Virtual Box and the Windows 8 developer preview and my god it was a bit touch and go ! I recommend if you get a few hours to give it a go it takes a lot of getting used to, but its not really ready yet.

I'm starting to like the whole Win7Mo/Win8 integration and the Xbox live across all platforms is something that interests me from a gaming point of view.

I just need a solid phone with a keyboard and I am good to go, infact that is the main reason I've never used any other phone - none have keyboards that make me feel happy. The closest was the N900 but it was a really poorly implemented design, to be fair to Nokia they never said otherwise.

Without diverting the topic too much if anyone has any recommendations for good full qwerty keyboarded phones running a decent OS (Android/Win7) I'm all ears.
    09-22-11 12:52 AM
    The 9930 keypad and physical device quality is outstanding. That alone worth the buy. If RIM would delelop a device not compatable w/ BES - that's really strange. Really.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-11 05:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD