First off, I think the Storm 3 is really going to turn some heads, AS LONG AS RIM gets back to what it knows best. Look I am all for a game here and there, or being able to add music whenever, but those things to me, are just pointless on a cell phone when the majority of BB users also have an Ipod, or MP3 player. They need to focus on things like the Calendar, keyboard, an outstanding, fluid, flawless OS..........Ill never leave BB, but I am unsure whether Ill stick with the Storm. anyways, here are my ideas:

1: I like the idea of PC clients like Tungle. I deal with a lot of meetings/interviews, and one thing I hate is playing phone/email tag to line up a good date to meet a client. RIM should install its own website (kinda like App World for PC users) that has a fully functional "smart" calendar integrated with your BB. It would allow all subscribed users to input their daily, weekly monthly or yearly schedule onto the calendar. Then with a sync app again integrated in the phones calendar you could sync detailed calendar on both pc and phone. When sending an email from your phone in the menu tab, you can select to send your calendar availability as a visible attachment. It would ask to send the day, the week or the next month,so recipients who are looking to set an appointment can see your availability, tick what works best for them, and reply. All you would have to do, is agree to their date and time and it will automatically send an automated message or signature if you will to confirm. It will then update itself automatically on the pc website, inturn updating itself on your smart phone..Maybe even set automatic reminders through an options category.

2: I am a weather guru, I love checking the weather, but the weather apps today suck. RIM should install its own weather client already installed on the phones. It should be animated as a theme or wallpaper option or just whenever you click to open the app. Comes with reliable up to date weather from anywhere in the world and run seamlessly with its OS.

3: BBM is a chat client I would love to use, but being in the UK as an American (here while my wife finishes school) its really pointless if you dont know anyone. But, I still would like to see some features kinda like video chat? RIM can start adding a front camera or a slide out camera that rotates. And as far as all its other chat clients, I think its dumb to have them all as invididual installs. I love the concept of IM+. Keep them all together under one client, all with geotagging, mapping, video chat. And RIM seriously needs to work something out with Skype. Another thing I like about IM+ is the popup on new messages.

4: BIGGER KEYBOARD!! thats one of the like 5 things I love about the Iphone, is its keyboard. The buttons are big enough to get your typing right the first time. If RIM isnt going with a slider option for the storm 3, then I think this needs to be a serious consideration.

5: More applications, better applications. This is another reason I love the Iphone, its got a massive library of apps. Rim should still focus on apps that coinside with its brand, but ****. Lets get some app love

I think these are some of the most important for me. ......The native email with all phones should allow users to access all facets of their email account, not just the inbox. Hate having to have gmail to do that. Its a waste of memory
    04-05-10 11:04 AM
    1. mIQ can do that for you. Free mobile phone contact, photo, video and text message backup :: mIQ and it's push sync.

2. BerryWeather as far as I know can place a weather icon in the wallpaper area.

3. In addition to IM+ there is also Nimbuzz, agree with the Skype thing though.

4. I've always thought that the iPhone has a better keyboard than my Storm2 and it surely does. Slider? I don't know, the less mechanical parts the better... I'm still waiting for a new Bold 9000 (read: a device the same size as the Bold 9000).

5. I agree and mostly this is RIM's fault: their SDK is **** and for a developer there are too many different models to write apps for (keyboard, touch screen, different screen resolutions, et cetera).
    04-05-10 11:17 AM
    1. mIQ can do that for you. Free mobile phone contact, photo, video and text message backup :: mIQ and it's push sync.

2. BerryWeather as far as I know can place a weather icon in the wallpaper area.

3. In addition to IM+ there is also Nimbuzz, agree with the Skype thing though.

4. I've always thought that the iPhone has a better keyboard than my Storm2 and it surely does. Slider? I don't know, the less mechanical parts the better... I'm still waiting for a new Bold 9000 (read: a device the same size as the Bold 9000).

5. I agree and mostly this is RIM's fault: their SDK is **** and for a developer there are too many different models to write apps for (keyboard, touch screen, different screen resolutions, et cetera).

yeah I use Berryweather now, its actually an alright app if you pay for it. I use the free version. I think RIM should have one packaged with the phone you know, like BBM.

Go to Tungle.com, and watch the demo. is MiQ like that? I would love to have a fully integrated calendar that does all the work for you. If you want to have a meeting with me, and shoot me an email, I would open your email, see your URL, or calendar attached to the message with all of your availability on it. And instead of you needing to wait for me to write back, tell you the days I can, which turn out to be days that dont work for you, I would just click on a mutual day per your calendar, you would get a message saying that I can meet that day, you confirm, and it would automatically update my calendar both on the RIM website, Homepage..web page what have you and your BB.........

Yeah I use nimbuzz at present..its actually alright..I was just suggesting that RIM make their own, integrated with BBM, so then I wont have to install nimbuzz or 4 different chat clients....

lol, yeah the keyboard is kinda like the low end of the pole...I am quite good with the keyboard now, just wishful thinking. And as far as a slider is concerned, I agree with you..however, something tells me that they will go that route...
    04-05-10 12:06 PM
    You've now seen Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn by RIM. You seriously think if they made a weather app it would be better than what's available? No. It would be bug ridden, slow, and probably missing information 90% of the time.

As far as the calendar thing, I'm sorry but that is the epitomy of laziness. If you can't be bothered to type things in and have half of a conversation with someone (have you ever tried calling someone? It actually relays the information even faster than emailing back and forth! ), then I don't know. I guess that just makes me have that little bit less faith in humanity if people are getting the point that actually using communications technology for communicating is too much to handle.

I don't know what to tell you about the IM client thing. Why not just consolidate your contacts? Find a common chat client, and use it.

And the keyboard; I'm kind of confused as to how it could get bigger. Outside of the full portrait keyboard (which I think is just useless, but I've seen some people good with it), the SureType keyboard has got to be one of the biggest buttoned keyboards I've ever seen. The portrait also has bigger buttons than the iPhone as well, I believe.

It really kind of seems like you're on the wrong phone.
    04-05-10 12:39 PM
    You've now seen Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn by RIM. You seriously think if they made a weather app it would be better than what's available? No. It would be bug ridden, slow, and probably missing information 90% of the time.

As far as the calendar thing, I'm sorry but that is the epitomy of laziness. If you can't be bothered to type things in and have half of a conversation with someone (have you ever tried calling someone? It actually relays the information even faster than emailing back and forth! ), then I don't know. I guess that just makes me have that little bit less faith in humanity if people are getting the point that actually using communications technology for communicating is too much to handle.

I don't know what to tell you about the IM client thing. Why not just consolidate your contacts? Find a common chat client, and use it.

And the keyboard; I'm kind of confused as to how it could get bigger. Outside of the full portrait keyboard (which I think is just useless, but I've seen some people good with it), the SureType keyboard has got to be one of the biggest buttoned keyboards I've ever seen. The portrait also has bigger buttons than the iPhone as well, I believe.

It really kind of seems like you're on the wrong phone.

Uh..ok, maybe you should go take a nap, because that was an uncalled for, grumpy *** reply to a mere opinionated post. Laziness has nothing to do with what I would like to see as far as a new calendar. I use Tungle, and it works wonders for me. I lead an extremely busy life and it can be hard sometimes to do what you find to be even the simplest of task...I make phone calls when I need too, just like I email when I need too..My opinion.

And for the weather app, no need to get your panties in a twist, again, just saying what I WOULD LIKE ..I....WOULD.....LIKE....to see..there is always room for improvement and I actually have an abundance of faith in RIM...

I have friends all over the US, and quite a few now here in Europe (most of which arent BB users) who use a wide variety of Chat clients...why should they have to switch providers just to make it easier for me..now, I dont mind if I need to install all of them, but..lol, again and heres the kicker - WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE is an all in one BB client that holds BBM, GT, Yahoo, MSN and Skype all in one application...

and lastly, the keyboard, yes I find the keys to be rather small compared to the keyboard of an Iphone...all I am suggesting, regardless of portrait or landscape that the keys be a little bigger, if they plan on avoiding the slider function...

why you replied to the post like that is beyond me...but believe it or not, thats why they make new OS, and design new apps and themes. So that the consumer can individualize their phone...

Take a damn chill pill pawtna!!!
    04-05-10 01:33 PM
    And you're entitled to your opinion. Just like I'm entitled to say no one is ever to busy to pick up a phone and make a phone call if they have enough time to email someone back and forth.

The weather thing, my panties aren't in a twist, but if we've learned anything from RIM third party applications, it's that they never work as they should. It's that simple. It would be awesome to see a working weather application. It would be a lot nicer to see them fix the applications they've already put out.

The IM client suggestion was not to tell your friends to change to a BB, at all. If you had read what I wrote, it was to find a common IM client. IE, MSN, Yahoo, GoogleTalk. Obviously BBM would be the least convenient of all of them, as it's not a universal chat client, which is exactly why I didn't say "Just tell everyone to buy a BlackBerry."

I don't understand what you're saying about the keyboard. The Landscape keys are slightly wider because if you look at the actual LCD on an iPod/iPhone compared to a Storm, it has an extra centimeter or so to space the keys a little more. There's still no word on the Storm 3's screen specs, but if it's a continued line and not a whole new phone, I doubt we'll be seeing much change in screen real estate. And again, as I said, SureType keys are giant compared to the iPhones portrait keyboard. I'd say about 3x the size, how much bigger do they need to be?

Also, that's why third party developers make new themes, is to individualize. I've never seen (Excluding the Precision themes) any themes put out by RIM. People design apps for convenience, entertainment, and to make money. And OS' are much more often designed to provide fixes, features, and simplification / complication to previously created items, again not made to individualize much. (at least on the BBOS)
    04-05-10 01:43 PM
    And you're entitled to your opinion. Just like I'm entitled to say no one is ever to busy to pick up a phone and make a phone call if they have enough time to email someone back and forth.

The weather thing, my panties aren't in a twist, but if we've learned anything from RIM third party applications, it's that they never work as they should. It's that simple. It would be awesome to see a working weather application. It would be a lot nicer to see them fix the applications they've already put out.

The IM client suggestion was not to tell your friends to change to a BB, at all. If you had read what I wrote, it was to find a common IM client. IE, MSN, Yahoo, GoogleTalk. Obviously BBM would be the least convenient of all of them, as it's not a universal chat client, which is exactly why I didn't say "Just tell everyone to buy a BlackBerry."

I don't understand what you're saying about the keyboard. The Landscape keys are slightly wider because if you look at the actual LCD on an iPod/iPhone compared to a Storm, it has an extra centimeter or so to space the keys a little more. There's still no word on the Storm 3's screen specs, but if it's a continued line and not a whole new phone, I doubt we'll be seeing much change in screen real estate. And again, as I said, SureType keys are giant compared to the iPhones portrait keyboard. I'd say about 3x the size, how much bigger do they need to be?

Also, that's why third party developers make new themes, is to individualize. I've never seen (Excluding the Precision themes) any themes put out by RIM. People design apps for convenience, entertainment, and to make money. And OS' are much more often designed to provide fixes, features, and simplification / complication to previously created items, again not made to individualize much. (at least on the BBOS)

OK..fair enough...I can see your point, its not like I praise the Storm (only BB device Ive owned) to be a flawless cellular device, I just have a big feeling us BB owners are in for a big shock..

and you are right, but as an Events and Conference planner, I am not always able to make phone calls at 10pm when I come up with a new idea, cancellation ect...So I do send emails quite a lot, and am usually tied up in meetings when phone calls come my way..Granted I always return calls, but in my line of work, the call is usually to schedule a meeting....thats all....

As for the IM, I only suggest because I actually like IM+ and would use it if it were so damn expensive as the Skype client is something I really need being overseas. I would love to see a fully integrated BBM+ which includes your BBM and maybe 3 other IM Clients....

And I agree with you as to the "real" reasoning behind OS's and Apps/Themes..but we still download or install to make our phones better and more personable..I mean I have THN, Scoremobile and praying for the new NHL app because I am a diehard Penguins fan........I just know that the new Iphone 4G will blow RIM out of the water if they dont come out with a spectacular Storm 3.....
    04-05-10 02:16 PM
    I think RIM needs to integrate their other IM clients into BBM. Why have 5 apps? Just add accounts to BBM. This way they code 1 UI and just have to use the other connection protocols. It just make too much sense. On the calendar issue - RIM used to have this in their older desktop software but did away with it since 99% of BB owners were all integrating with Exchange. If it was easier to build apps on BB them you should be looking for a jungle client for your BB. Maybe with the new SDK tungle could build a good app that integrates the BB calendar and messaging apis with their system. I recommend asking tungle about that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 07:07 AM
    I'd rather have 5 slimmed down, optimized programs than one bloated leaking BBM, personally. Look at the jump to BBM 5.0. Adding a few pictures and groups almost tripled the file size. Could you imagine what a 5 app intergration would do?
    04-07-10 08:46 AM
    I disagree with 1-4. Totally agree with 5. And I would add a better browser, ability to install apps on the media card, and integrated IR.

With that said, I still think it's amazing that we can do what we can with our BB's. I'm looking forward to the S3.
    04-08-10 12:01 AM
    You've now seen Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn by RIM.
    The LinkedIn app was made my LinkedIn... not RIM.
    (BlackBerry App World - LinkedIn)

And I love the Fbook and Twitter apps. Still don't see what all of the fuss is about. I guess I am not a "power user" when it comes to them because they do everything that I need them to do at a speed acceptable to me.
    04-08-10 01:17 PM
    It's not that they're necessarily bad, it's just the ones made by the actual companies are BETTER. I'm going to type this through gritted teeth, but have you SEEN the Apple Facebook? It looks amazing. It's quick, snappy, lots of features, you can favourite friends full profiles for quick access, there's FB chat..etc. It just works, and it works better.

As far as twitter, it works, but there are a lot of features offered by third party developers that makes you wonder why RIM didn't pick up on it. Editable ReTweets, character extensions, Friend veiwer, etc.
    04-08-10 02:51 PM
    I think ultimately RIM needs to take the storm in a new direction and really try to compete with the Iphone and Android based touch screen phones...they are apps driven multi-media devices. Design it for that purpose..The Bold series, curve, and Pearl need to be designed and pushed out for business users..there really should be two classes of berry's at this point otherwise RIM will be doomed to the mid level Smartphone users and corporations who require employees to use them.
    04-15-10 08:20 AM
    I think ultimately RIM needs to take the storm in a new direction and really try to compete with the Iphone and Android based touch screen phones...they are apps driven multi-media devices. Design it for that purpose..The Bold series, curve, and Pearl need to be designed and pushed out for business users..there really should be two classes of berry's at this point otherwise RIM will be doomed to the mid level Smartphone users and corporations who require employees to use them.
    QFT. Bolds for business, Curves as an intermediate, Storms and Pearls tricked out for the consumer/casual market is my variation. There is so much other platforms can do that the BB lags behind. Srsly, RIM, you drop a red case on the same old phone and thats your big consumer market push? I know a bunch of people don't like the idea, but I adore the thought of the landscape slider with some real multimedia chops.
    04-17-10 08:11 PM
    If RIM ever makes a landscape slider, I'm pretty sure stockholders would literally vomit in the streets. We don't need a Droid.
    04-17-10 08:24 PM
    All this talk about apps makes me just want to bring something up regarding Facebook. The Blackberry Facebook app is so crude and slow compared to its iPhone and Android counterparts that it's almost ridiculous.
    04-17-10 10:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD