In a letter, Mr. Chen stated, "Leveraging Foxconns scale and efficiency will also allow us to compete more effectively and create speed to market since we can design for faster product life cycles, Chen said. With a partner dedicated to our hardware, BlackBerry can focus on what we do best iconic design, world-class security, software development and enterprise-mobility management.

By "iconic design" will BlackBerry's in-house designers just work on "very high-end" devices aimed at developed markets while Foxconn handles the low end market phones ? or do you think eventually Foxconn will be designing all of the all touch phones while BlackBerry continues to design the Q models ?
    12-31-13 10:51 AM
    To me it sounds like Foxconn will execute BlackBerry's design by handling the actual hardware construction. It sounds to me like there will be a hand-off, "build this" moment. It sounds to me like BlackBerry will continue to develop everything else.

That's how I read that.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-31-13 11:00 AM
    BlackBerry doesn't have to build the device to design it. An architect doesn't build the building, but the builders follow his plans. And if you're unsure what is iconic design, look at the Z30. That's iconic. It screams BlackBerry and is the best built device out there. From the contours to the materials to the way the speakers are angled to produce the same sound whether the device is faced up or down

Posted via CB10
    mithrazor likes this.
    01-01-14 08:48 PM
    My reading was Foxconn will design lower end phones together uwith BlackBerry for certain markets. BlackBerry will designs and build high end phones.

Interestingly it looks like a large part on the accounting loss is a right down on value of manufacturing facilities. Implying a plan to either not use them of use them less. Seems Chen wants to start with very clean books.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 02:22 AM
    BlackBerry doesn't have to build the device to design it. An architect doesn't build the building, but the builders follow his plans. And if you're unsure what is iconic design, look at the Z30. That's iconic. It screams BlackBerry and is the best built device out there. From the contours to the materials to the way the speakers are angled to produce the same sound whether the device is faced up or down

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. Foxconn builds the iPhone to Apple's design. Same could be done with BlackBerry. They will likely not be able to use Foxconn facilities in China for models for certain customers, but their are other cheap places it can be built.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 08:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    I'd wager that the Q10 is far more iconic.
    01-03-14 01:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    According to what Chris just said, they might be doing both the manufacturing and the designing.

What is "Iconic Design" ?-img_20140103_145420_edit.png

Really looking forward to what impact the Jakarta will make

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 02:27 PM
    I'd wager that the Q10 is far more iconic.
    The BB 9000 was very iconic and the Q10 is along that path. Stainless steel rim was would have been better.

This new Nokia design looks more like a BlackBerry then the Zeds.

Nokia E71 Returns With Windows Phone 8 and Sliding Keyboard | Concept Phones

If BlackBerry had updated the look of a 9850 it might be something like a Moto X - smooth and rounded but with some metal accents.

It is always good when the phone design has an identity.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-04-14 at 06:48 PM.
    01-03-14 04:03 PM
    The BB 9000 was very iconic and the Q10 is along that path. Stainless steel rim was would have been better.

This new Nokia design looks more like a BlackBerry that the Zeds.

Nokia E71 Returns With Windows Phone 8 and Sliding Keyboard | Concept Phones

If BlackBerry had updated the look of a 9850 it might be something like a Moto X - smooth and rounded but with some metal accents.

It is always good when the phone design has an identity.
    That Nokia is gorgeous. Would buy.
    01-04-14 10:40 AM