03-23-12 01:51 AM
74 123
tools
    What is that?
    01-28-12 11:44 AM
    What is that?
    The camera lens of H.A.L. 9000, a setient computer from 2001: A Space Odyssey that goes on a murdering spree.
    01-28-12 02:04 PM
    The camera lens of H.A.L. 9000, a setient computer from 2001: A Space Odyssey that goes on a murdering spree.
    Haha not quite what I meant but thanx
    01-28-12 02:13 PM
    I want the best of both worlds, i.e. a physical keypad as well as a touch screen with plenty of real estate. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of sliders and I've never liked the Torch design. A Bold-like design that is slightly taller to allow for a larger screen would be nice.

However, my dream phone would be something like the Bold 9900 with a fully transparent keypad that is overlaid over part of the screen. The transparent keypad would be "backlit" by a virtual keyboard. I don't know if a suitable material exists (this might just be the stuff of sci-fi), but the keypad would be made of something that mimics the tactile feel of the current Bold keypad, but would also behave like a touchscreen when the virtual keyboard is inactive.
    WaelIT_ likes this.
    01-29-12 02:38 PM
    Make Bold Torch for men with big hands, there are a lot of us.
    Stop wasting our time with puny bolds and half baked torches.
    Make a big BIG phone with a BIG screen and 12mp autofocus cam.
    FASHER likes this.
    01-30-12 01:05 AM
    okay, after a few more tweaks and adding a few of you guys' specs that were great and i missed out on, here is the new draft of photoshopped torch into storm 3d -

click to view quoted image

vote it up, maybe rim might get inspired by it haha.
    that is awesome !!!
    01-31-12 12:52 AM
    i HOPE it has

• quad core processor
    • dedicated gaming chip
    • 2 GB RAM (common that's more than you will ever need in a phone)
    • a GOOD 12MP camera (amazing colours + amazing dim light shots)
    • QWERTY keyboard (i need those lol)
    • A minimum of 3000mah battery
    • Form factor of the 9900 with the same keyboard
    01-31-12 12:56 AM
    So this is nearly a copy past of what I said in a recent blog post but here we go...

Seeing these landscape sliders got me thinking, what if we take this design and eliminate that keyboard. Then implement on screen keyboard for those that can use it, but here is the "twist": the bottom 1/3rd of the screen is divided with a subtle line where it can be twisted around so that that back section of the phone now faces the front and have the Bold 99xx keyboard there?! All the screen, but when you don't need it, awesome keyboard ready and waiting. The rest of the screen is automatically compressed or reorganized for the new lesser real estate, and the other section just goes dark and is essentially switched off. What do you guys think? This sounds like my DreamBerry!

Here is a pic of a design this could be applied to. Keeping in mind I didn't design this and am taking no credit for it what so ever as I pulled the picture right from the blog, just imagine what I've described above applied to this design. Not perfect for everyone of course, but if you want screen and portrait keyboard, there is either a slider which causes the phone to be thicker, or there is my idea, that will leave the break in the screen. I for one could live with that if there is a Bold keyboard on board.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 02-01-12 at 10:04 PM.
    02-01-12 09:58 PM
    One of the primary reasons I stay with BB is because I love a hands-on qwerty keyboard. I don't use my phone to watch videos etc. 90% of my phone use is for work ie emails, texts, BBM and internet browsing. If the on-screen keyboard would be "on screen" for 90% of the time, then what's the point? Take that space and put the keyboard there.

What RIM really needs to do is release a consumer device and a business device. Make the consumer device as crazy and cool as they want so people can watch TV and movies and music and games, but then give us business users (or ones that don't spend time on their phones for non-messaging) the features we need, with some of the cool stuff.

Is that too much to ask?
    02-02-12 09:37 AM
    We just have to make share the new CEO is reading this thread !

I want a large touchscreen, somewhere between 3.5-4", make't HD, but I NEED the QWERTY. GO WITH A SLIDER! If you could add the option of extensive customiziblity, as in easily changing UI "creating a home screen, changing menu form, adding to the notifications bar, customizing lock screens..", it'd be great, too. What about the media keys? Don't drop them off! They're useful for presentations, such as controlling your slideshow from the the edge of your phone. Offer cheap slim curves with reduced battery life if you would like to release a "slim" phone, but don't cut us out of battery! True Blackberry Users need their phones' system more than they need its thickness. Front- facing cameras anyone? How about 4G and some darn improved WiFi up/down speed? We know you're browser is improving RIM, we can see it right through the 9790, but please work on its Tabbing and Flash- Support. "HTML Rendering"? Office streaming solutions shall perform better!
    02-04-12 04:55 PM
    I want the best of both worlds, i.e. a physical keypad as well as a touch screen with plenty of real estate. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of sliders and I've never liked the Torch design. A Bold-like design that is slightly taller to allow for a larger screen would be nice.

However, my dream phone would be something like the Bold 9900 with a fully transparent keypad that is overlaid over part of the screen. The transparent keypad would be "backlit" by a virtual keyboard. I don't know if a suitable material exists (this might just be the stuff of sci-fi), but the keypad would be made of something that mimics the tactile feel of the current Bold keypad, but would also behave like a touchscreen when the virtual keyboard is inactive.
    How about they make a flip out keyboard? So when you want to use the keyboard you'll flip it out, not slide it out, of the back of the phone. The back should be curved so that it'll look flat with the keyboard on top of it. Kinda like the "old" pdas if you remember 'em!
    02-04-12 05:01 PM
    All i want is a full keyboard like the Bold 9900.
    02-08-12 06:45 PM
    What do I want in a BBX phone?

It's real simple:

- Bold 9900 form factor & keyboard with a 3.5 inch screen
    What makes and made a Blackberry a Blackberry is the keyboard, you can't get rid of it. With all the BBs I've owned, the 9000 & 9900 are the best in the biz. The only reason I moved on to a iPhone 4S was because the screen was still too small. Really, they need to get into the now, 3.5 inches would be great, just make the screen taller.

- An OS that works...
    No random reboots. No "little clock of doom". No lagging with your own apps. Also... OS should not be taking up more than 50% of the memory at idle. Self explanatory stuff if you've know BBs for some time.

- NO multitasking
    RIM/Blackberry sticking to "true multitasking" has made them slip out of the ranks for devices with good batter life. If they are going to continue to get suckered into the "thinnest device" game, they will have to get rid of their "true multitasking". As seen with iOS and WP7, app freezing works wonders and only the core apps get to multitask. That's smart.
    02-18-12 01:57 PM

It's real simple:

What makes and made a Blackberry a Blackberry is the keyboard, you can't get rid of it. With all the BBs I've owned, the 9000 & 9900 are the best in the biz. The only reason I moved on to a iPhone 4S was because the screen was still too small. Really, they need to get into the now, 3.5 inches would be great, just make the screen taller.
    Completely agree! keyboard is what makes BB!

- An OS that works...
    No random reboots. No "little clock of doom". No lagging with your own apps. Also... OS should not be taking up more than 50% of the memory at idle. Self explanatory stuff if you've know BBs for some time.

- NO multitasking
    RIM/Blackberry sticking to "true multitasking" has made them slip out of the ranks for devices with good batter life. If they are going to continue to get suckered into the "thinnest device" game, they will have to get rid of their "true multitasking". As seen with iOS and WP7, app freezing works wonders and only the core apps get to multitask. That's smart.
    True multitasking is one of the great things I love about BB, perhaps the option to choose which apps get prioritized
    02-23-12 12:58 PM
    Good Stuf!!! I sure hope someone from RIM stops by to check this out.

I tinkered around with the new Samsung Note. Take a couple inches off that screen, add me a keyboard, then add all of the goodies you all have mentioned, and I'm set!!!
    Last edited by FASHER; 02-27-12 at 02:51 PM.
    02-27-12 02:49 PM

It's real simple:

- An OS that works...

- NO multitasking
    On the no multitasking, I think you should be fine if they do it like the PlayBook. You can change the settings so it acts more like iOS if you want, whereas others can put it in showcase mode for the opposite effect. Everyone can be happy.
    02-27-12 11:25 PM
    How about power plant like the one on the face of a Citizen ECO watch? Never needs batteries and operates for up to 6 months without any light, artificial or natural. With the screen the size of a bold or torch, this systems would open up lots of room for other things for this phone to do.
    02-27-12 11:39 PM
    How about power plant like the one on the face of a Citizen ECO watch? Never needs batteries and operates for up to 6 months without any light, artificial or natural. With the screen the size of a bold or torch, this systems would open up lots of room for other things for this phone to do.
    Nokia tried it. A solar powered cellphone is unfeasible, even for trickle charging.
    02-28-12 12:59 AM
    definitely longer lasting battery, i hate losing battery life after playing music and internet browsing for short times. also, physically, i want a flip phone that has a touch screen, makes for a larger screen, and still has qwerty keyboard.
    03-03-12 12:05 AM
    I got an ipod with gorrila glass finish and retina display, its awesome! BB will be looking awesome with it. Great for watching movies.
    03-03-12 04:18 AM
    And yes, there should be a qwerty keyboard, even though if it has a touchscreen or else it wont be a BB
    03-03-12 04:20 AM
    I am developing an app for work, i would like a BBX tablet to have phone functionality because we have truck drivers that will use them and a bigger screen would be great.
    for personal i would like IR to control my devices and a bigger battery and to be able to print to any printer. i would also like to be able to connect accessories to it.
    03-20-12 01:17 PM
    Multi-language verbal interpreter for those of us that travel a lot.
    03-23-12 01:48 AM
    All the above, but I just want it in my hands right now! That's what I want.
    03-23-12 01:51 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD