08-06-15 05:53 AM
692 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    @Bambinoitaliano, I raise my hat to you, you've nailed it with the last quote. There's a lot of fan out there who root for BlackBerry not knowing why BlackBerry was a staple in our history in the first place. They became popular by accident but their true nature is in the business world where keyboard rule and where status dictates how things will go down. People bought BB first and foremost for email mobility, where that one email missed could mean a lot of money lost, this is what was all about. Now, it's time to re-invent the landscape, a bit how BB did in 2000 and a bit how Samsung came out with the SG Note, I was first in line to say how ridiculous and DOD that thing would be but Samsung believed in it and now suddenly phablet is the way to go. Who cares if people flocks away from the brand, maybe those people weren't BlackBerry material in the first place, John Chen has a bigger vision than the occasional whiners dangling the threat of going with either a '' me-too '' iPhone or an overrated Galaxy from Samsung. BlackBerry needs to re-establish the status of owning a piece of hardware to do business first, not pleasure, trust, once that target will be acquired, developping a full touchscreen to cather those who wants a full touchscreen will make sense.
    The Note was a success but how much of that was due to Samsung's $9 billion marketing budget in 2011 and $11.5 billion in 2012? The amount Samsung spent those two years alone is nearly 7x BlackBerry's reserves. At most I expect BlackBerry will spend $200 million to promote their two new phones.
    06-23-14 11:48 AM
    Well John Chen knows what he is doing? BlackBerry is the best with physical keyboard, so John continue to make physical keyboard as BlackBerry priority. There is still the market for BlackBerry keyboard that the company can make a lot of money from. BlackBerry doesn't need to attract the whole consumer market like Apple and Samsung. Well before Mr. Chen put more emphasis on physical keyboard, he probably spend a lot of money research and talk to BlackBerry clients.
    06-23-14 12:03 PM
    The Note was a success but how much of that was due to Samsung's $9 billion marketing budget in 2011 and $11.5 billion in 2012? The amount Samsung spent those two years alone is nearly 7x BlackBerry's reserves. At most I expect BlackBerry will spend $200 million to promote their two new phones.
    Marketing is an overrated excuse at that point, When a company decides to spend 11.5 B in marketing, it usually expect 3-4 times that amount in revenue so the bet with the Note was a valid one if they thought that spending so much was all worth it. BlackBerry historically was never a powerhouse in marketing but their idea of a keyboard and email on the go caught fire and when they decide to spend, the equation wasn't really in their favor. All I'm saying is when things doesn't go your way, you usually focus on what you do best and try to eliminate what is somewhat a challenge to you. They excel at physical keyboard, they cannot compete with the full touchscreen offer from iPhone and Android. Business is the reason the got there in the first place and consumers is the reason they deviate from what they do best, isn't logical to go the route John Chen is going right now ?
    06-23-14 12:08 PM
    Dear OP

I would line up today if they started a line. This phone will make heads turn and people finally understand mobile computing.

When I seen this... I didn't say what is Chen thinking.... I said TAKE MY MONEY NOW!!!
    06-23-14 12:15 PM
    Marketing is an overrated excuse at that point, When a company decides to spend 11.5 B in marketing, it usually expect 3-4 times that amount in revenue so the bet with the Note was a valid one if they thought that spending so much was all worth it. BlackBerry historically was never a powerhouse in marketing but their idea of a keyboard and email on the go caught fire and when they decide to spend, the equation wasn't really in their favor. All I'm saying is when things doesn't go your way, you usually focus on what you do best and try to eliminate what is somewhat a challenge to you. They excel at physical keyboard, they cannot compete with the full touchscreen offer from iPhone and Android. Business is the reason the got there in the first place and consumers is the reason they deviate from what they do best, isn't logical to go the route John Chen is going right now ?
    But how did they know that with the first Note? Samsung itself was surprised by the initial success. The bulk of Samsung's growth in its smartphone business has been mainly due to marketing. Otherwise, why have they continued to spend more on advertising every year and 6x to 8x more than all its Android competitors combined? That's what keeps Samsung's edge. How do you think they continue to sell significantly more plastic phones than the premium-built HTC and Sony in the past four years? As for BlackBerry, I think the phrase "never a powerhouse in marketing" means their Ads were crappy and thus failed to deliver their message. I don't need to cite examples.
    06-23-14 12:19 PM
    I happen to think the Passport is cool as ****. I don't think it'll sell very well but it is remarkably cool.
    06-23-14 12:21 PM
    Travelling is the key word there. which pocket will that thing fit into? it doesn't look very portable to me.
    Same pocket where you put your other passport. Fits nicely inside jacket pocket.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-23-14 12:21 PM
    In my opinion, fwiw... I think the Passport is kind of ugly yet intriguing, but the Classic looks good.

Ultimately, I believe that Blackberry needs to focus on their strength. They're known for their keyboards. They're good at that. And it's a niche that they dominate. Whether it comes in the form of the Q10 / Q5, the Classic, or the Passport, IMHO they need to continue focusing on this niche, keep owning it. Trumpet it even.

I get that some (a lot?) of Blackberry fans prefer the all-touch devices nowadays. The problem is that it doesn't seem that this is a market that's making enough money to sustain itself for Blackberry. They lost that battle -- they didn't even recognize they were in that battle till they'd already lost it. The best hope, I think, for fans of all-touch BB10 devices, is that Blackberry will make enough money selling PKB phones that they can afford to keep a 'glass slab' on the market as well.

Personally, I'd love to see a Passport in person, before passing any further judgement on it. I might like a Classic, but I'm done with contracts and likely won't be able to afford it new/unlocked so I'll have to wait till I can get it used or on sale.

Cheers!

p.s. I'm available, if Blackberry does choose to pick a random forumite for their next CEO.
    06-23-14 12:28 PM
    Keyboards are what differentiate BlackBerry from the rivals. Sure it may be a small niche market, but at this point blackberry is a niche player. I say he's doing the right thing. He's getting the keyboard products up to spec. Then if they like they work mandated BlackBerry phones they may consider the Z30 or its eventual successor as their personal phone.

Posted via CB10
    Even though I don't own a blackberry with a keyboard, I totally agree with you. In strategic management it's called focusing on your core competency. Phones with keyboards and security is where BlackBerry excels, especially from the pro-sumer perspective and that's where Chen's focus is. He has not abandoned the consumer market but acknowledged this markets saturation. Strategically it makes sense to focus efforts on reestablishing BlackBerry's dominance in the pro-sumer market then have a well thought out plan to attack the consumer market. This is a tough and unforgiving industry where most consumers are easily swayed by trends and peer pressure, especially young consumers. I think Chen is headed in the right direction. If you are not on top of your game, it's easy to lose focus and plummet, and that's blackberry's story to this point. With the right marketing, BlackBerry should be ok.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 12:44 PM
    But how did they know that with the first Note? Samsung itself was surprised by the initial success. The bulk of Samsung's growth in its smartphone business has been mainly due to marketing. Otherwise, why have they continued to spend more on advertising every year and 6x to 8x more than all its Android competitors combined? That's what keeps Samsung's edge. How do you think they continue to sell significantly more plastic phones than the premium-built HTC and Sony in the past four years? As for BlackBerry, I think the phrase "never a powerhouse in marketing" means their Ads were crappy and thus failed to deliver their message. I don't need to cite examples.
    If Samsung were surprised of the initial success than the marketing excuse doesn't hold, when you decide to put an item on the market and you decide to back it up with a lot money behind it, R and D has made their homeworks and you expect that product to be a hit. If Samsung put 100 B $ to advertise how good horse maneure is healthy to eat, I don't care it won't sell bar. I'm in marketing and most people in that field will tell you that a good marketing strategy is a good synergy between the 4 P's, which is Price, Promotion, Product and Place which often BlackBerry failed in 2 or 3 of that combination, promotion itself won't help sell a product, a good combination of those aforementionned items are. BlackBerry is not in the running against Samsung, we saw the money they threw in marketing to promote KNOX and where did it lend them ? Absolutely nowhere, so when you try to target business market, marketing $ isn't everything, a product cathered to them and a status symbol of achieved success will sell. Ads on TV alone doesn't mean anything to them.
    06-23-14 01:02 PM
    I would not call Z10 launched was without marketing. The whole Alicia Key as ambassador and launch in major cities including New York plus the SuperBowl ad. They all failed. We can pick apart and dissect the reasons why the launch fail. The bottom line is Z10 was launch with quite a bit of a fanfare.
    It had barely any marketing. People don't even know BB10 exists...even now. Their one single super bowl ad was a joke and quickly forgotten. Major launch is not really marketing...it's just an event. Marketing means advertising. They have nearly zero.
    06-23-14 01:09 PM
    I'd buy a good slider in a heartbeat. ... I'd buy two of them, just in case there are no others released in the next few years.
    I will likely (grudgingly) buy a Classic or a Passport, but a slider is what I have been holding out for. I have wanted a new one for several years.

Strongly disagree. Passport will at most attract keyboard users and negligible number of touchscreen users. Don't get fooled by the fact just because the Passport has a bigger screen than the Q10 (4.5" is not exactly big) that users will flock back to keyboard phones. Sliders are so ten years ago, doubt it'll be a hit with users because it adds thickness to phones. Again, thick phones are so 10 years ago.
    06-23-14 01:14 PM
    It had barely any marketing. People don't even know BB10 exists...even now. Their one single super bowl ad was a joke and quickly forgotten. Major launch is not really marketing...it's just an event. Marketing means advertising. They have nearly zero.
    I just don't buy the marketing excuse.

When the z10 was released it was everywhere. It was front and center in the best buy. It was available in many carrier stores.

Most people do not know about new smartphone releases until after the fact. You go into a store and see what's available.

What BlackBerry loyalists fail to realize is that the z10 just did not offer any compelling reason for users to buy in. I went and checked one out. I wasn't impressed.

So now they want to take on the note 4 with a 4.5 inch 1:1 PKB device.

Good luck with that.
    06-23-14 01:30 PM
    Most current legacy owners are not that interested interested in phones. They will upgrade if theirs breaks or their carrier offers a great deal on a trade in. I see the Classic mainly selling to large corporations etc to replace their 9900's.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 01:42 PM
    Why would anyone buy the passport over any other phone that are more portable and practical. BlackBerry has to stop trying to cater sorely on its core customers as it's clearly Not working.

Posted via CB10
    I would get it over any other phone at this point. They learned the hard way what happens when you ignore the core customer base. So no, they should keep on their current trajectory. Chen is on the cusp of a miraculous turnaround for a sinking company that everyone was convinced going to die.

So I trust in everything he does. That's why he's the goddamn ceo and you're some wannabe armchair jockey. It's the harsh reality. I'm positive this phone will have a great reception upon release, even if it is from the enterprise market. Stop being so narrow minded and try to see the same picture and stop parroting the same old tiring arguments jeez lol. Who peed in your cereal? You mad bro?

Posted via my Z30
    06-23-14 01:44 PM
    What is he playing at with the Passport, He is not a stupid man he is surely a highly intelligent man. But this new device will be the device that finally kills Blackberry. In technology you HAVE to keep moving forward if you stand still and you will be left behind. But if you do what Blackberry are doing and go backwards you go down a route you will not return from. Physical keyboard are a thing of the past there is a reason why the likes of Samsung and Apple don't use them, you won't see them bringing out a physical keyboard phone as there is only a very small amount of people want them hence why Blackberry has fallen so far behind them. It's easy the Z30 is an awesome phone all they need to do is bring out a updated version of it with the specs that can compete.

It's a sad day as I love using my Z30 and it seems as if it's going to be my last Blackberry I own as when it eventually dies of old age I will be forced to by an Android phone it's a real shame really Blackberry had a really good platform to build on with the Z30 but have decided to turn the complete wrong way. Sometimes different isn't always a good thing, Sometimes things like the Passport haven't been done because there isn't a market for them. If this was brought out when Blackberry first went to do touchscreens then it might have worked as it would be a progression towards touchscreen but to do it now is illogical and a daft thing to do.

R.I.P Blackberry :-(

Stuart
    I wonder where I head this before...oh wait, from BlackBerry, about Apple and the iPhone. -_- I think you'll find the Passport will do much better than you think. Also, nothing about the Passport is "backwards".
    06-23-14 01:46 PM
    These latest devices do not seem like the typical pee in the wind that BB has done in the recent past.
    Classic direct replacement for the 9900. Trackpad people are nutty that way, hence Q sucky converts.
    Passport to enhance their professional offering. If a 1:1 screen is indeed better for documents/images/etc reading/viewing.

You have to think there is a plan, not a vacuum (there was in the past). Everything Chen has done to date seems to build upon the previous thing. There will be misses, but if your listening to your major customers (enterprise) there should be less. And if they sell 400 or 4 million, it only matters if they are turning a profit (more is always better ).
    06-23-14 01:54 PM
    What is he playing at with the Passport, He is not a stupid man he is surely a highly intelligent man. But this new device will be the device that finally kills Blackberry. In technology you HAVE to keep moving forward if you stand still and you will be left behind. But if you do what Blackberry are doing and go backwards you go down a route you will not return from. Physical keyboard are a thing of the past there is a reason why the likes of Samsung and Apple don't use them, you won't see them bringing out a physical keyboard phone as there is only a very small amount of people want them hence why Blackberry has fallen so far behind them. It's easy the Z30 is an awesome phone all they need to do is bring out a updated version of it with the specs that can compete.

It's a sad day as I love using my Z30 and it seems as if it's going to be my last Blackberry I own as when it eventually dies of old age I will be forced to by an Android phone it's a real shame really Blackberry had a really good platform to build on with the Z30 but have decided to turn the complete wrong way. Sometimes different isn't always a good thing, Sometimes things like the Passport haven't been done because there isn't a market for them. If this was brought out when Blackberry first went to do touchscreens then it might have worked as it would be a progression towards touchscreen but to do it now is illogical and a daft thing to do.

R.I.P Blackberry :-(

Stuart
    There's any way to dislike this post?
    06-23-14 02:03 PM
    Well, lets hold off on throwing dirt.............over an empty coffin. Obviously some discussion and planning went into this device. I do agree. I don't believe Chen is a stupid man. Let's at least wait until it's released and see how well it does/doesn't do regarding sales. There have been so many gloom/doom/conspiracy threads on here in the last 2-3 years......and BlackBerry is still here.
    06-23-14 02:31 PM
    Same pocket where you put your other passport. Fits nicely inside jacket pocket.

Posted via CB10
    What happens if it's warm does that mean you've got to wear a jacket and be uncomfortably hot just to be able to carry the phone?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 02:36 PM
    Ha, that's funny. You're actually using the fact that some former CNN host's use of a particular phone as some rational argument about why that phone is ....or is not....acceptable.

Based on this logic, no one should buy Iphones or any Android phone because certainly, somewhere there are bad people...maybe even (GASP) uncool people that are sporting an Iphone or some Android phone. Soooo...does that mean everyone should avoid those phones too.....because somewhere, someone you might not like is using one?
    Research piers Morgan and what he did when he was editor of an English newspaper and you'll know what I mean

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 02:39 PM
    Obviously, and even if I'm not (theorically at least) a big fan of the passport, I don't think it will be that hard to fit within a pocket.
    - When I put my Z10 (also tried with a Z30) in my pants pocket, there's no issue.
    - When I put my wallet within my pocket, that's ok too.
    - Now, based on the photos and videos, it seems the Passport should be less tall than the Z30 and not wider than a classic wallet with being much more thiner.
    --> Then it will probably fit any pockets even for non giants like me (1,72 m). For sure, you will not be in the mood to have a jogging with everything (keys, wallet, phone) in your pockets but I think it's already case, whatever the phone you have right now, isn't it?

Now, I'm still wondering about its ergonomics though but that's another debate.
    06-23-14 02:43 PM
    Doesn't this belong in the armchair ceo forum???

I don't care if other people want a bb10 device I wanted one and that's all that matters.
    Tim Heard and Shadowyugi like this.
    06-23-14 02:54 PM
    There is no more reason for you to stay with BlackBerry. Just Go away and go quickly, no body force you to stay, maybe android forum more welcome you. Bye bye just don't forget to leave your z30 behind right now.
    So the guy who joined last month with 8 posts somehow thinks he should be telling someone on these forums to go away? Everything I could possibly say to people like you would get me banned. But just know that myself and others are thinking it.
    06-23-14 02:58 PM
    Been reading through this thread and OP keeps making the same arguments almost as if they are factual and doesn't even seem to recognise any points that anyone has raised contrary to his/hers, so there is really no point. OP, if the device is not for you, do not buy it. BlackBerry will release future full touch devices. You Z30 is not up to a year old yet. If you feel like you have to upgrade to something else, then do so by all means. There are people who want the passport, leave it to them.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-23-14 03:49 PM
692 ... 7891011 ...