08-06-15 05:53 AM
692 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Did it create a buzz? All I saw was an article on here saying blackberry won't in court, that's hardly creating a buzz

Posted via CB10
    They very fact that a company (and a well know celebrity who mostly is seen by younger audiences) tried to create and sell a physical keyboard to mimic the BlackBerry experience should tell you all you need to know about why physical keyboards are relevant.
    06-23-14 07:56 AM
    What was so smart about last guy we had? Not being sarcastic here, but just want to know. Yes he did bring us the Z10 and the Z30 but I can not think of much more creditability other then that
    Well, he also got rid of some longstanding executive culprits so I'm thankful for that, regardless of his warts and unreadiness for the CEO job over the COO job that was more suited for suited for him

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 08:01 AM
    You are entitled to your opinion, which is why he's CEO and you are not.

Z10 on Telus
    BOOM! - Had too, most intelligent response. (not sarcasm)
    Tim Heard likes this.
    06-23-14 08:02 AM
    So stuart445 has a point - there really isn't much buzz about the Passport outside of this site and he's afraid BlackBerry is further losing relevance among the touchscreen crowd the longer they delay the launch of Z30 successor
    So, how does releasing a Z30 successor make BB any more relevant among the touchscreen crowd? Most touchscreen phone users don't know BB10 exists in any form, let alone a nice touchscreen.

And, really, how many everyday phone users even understand specs???? They simply look at the phone and make judgements based on appearance, and then go from there. That's why so many people went for Iphone....why so many teenagers have one. They have no clue about specs, they just think it looks cool and desperately need to belong to the cult....uh, club.
    Johan Heyneke1 and Shadowyugi like this.
    06-23-14 08:02 AM
    Piers Morgan is a horrible individual who should never be considered as anywhere near cool.
    Ha, that's funny. You're actually using the fact that some former CNN host's use of a particular phone as some rational argument about why that phone is ....or is not....acceptable.

Based on this logic, no one should buy Iphones or any Android phone because certainly, somewhere there are bad people...maybe even (GASP) uncool people that are sporting an Iphone or some Android phone. Soooo...does that mean everyone should avoid those phones too.....because somewhere, someone you might not like is using one?
    Nharzhool likes this.
    06-23-14 08:13 AM
    So, how does releasing a Z30 successor make BB any more relevant among the touchscreen crowd? Most touchscreen phone users don't know BB10 exists in any form, let alone a nice touchscreen.

And, really, how many everyday phone users even understand specs???? They simply look at the phone and make judgements based on appearance, and then go from there. That's why so many people went for Iphone....why so many teenagers have one. They have no clue about specs, they just think it looks cool and desperately need to belong to the cult....uh, club.
    Tackling the touchscreen market means you have to come up with a touchscreen phone, not a keyboard.

As for specs, teenagers buy because of their age. I drank Slurpees and Big Gulps til I drowned when I was in High School, now I drink Starbucks and Seattle's Best coffee. IPhone for many reasons appeals to the teenage market. There are millions more that are non-teenage buyers and these buyers go for the ecosystem, camera, ease of use, accessories, or a combination of these factors. These non-teenage IPhone buyers are professionals and individuals just like you
    06-23-14 08:15 AM
    Tackling the touchscreen market means you have to come up with a touchscreen phone, not a keyboard.
    I'm sorry, something must have happened to the rest of your post, as the point you were trying to make must have been deleted. Would you mind re-stating it?

As for specs, teenagers buy because of their age. I drank Slurpees and Big Gulps til I drowned when I was in High School, now I drink Starbucks and Seattle's Best coffee.
    Sorry, once again, your post must have been cut off because it didn't include the point you were making. But, what do you mean teenagers buy because of their age? You're saying that because teenagers are young.....this factor alone (and nothing else) makes them buy one particular phone? And what does slurpees and starbucks have to do with anything?

There are millions more that are non-teenage buyers and these buyers go for the ecosystem, camera, ease of use, accessories, or a combination of these factors. These non-teenage IPhone buyers are professionals and individuals just like you
    Thanks for pointing out the obvious. But, once again.....something happened to the point you were making and perhaps it got deleted.
    06-23-14 08:21 AM
    Chen's intention is obvious, he knows that BlackBerry can't compete with iOS or Android already, so if BlackBerry wants to regain their reputation, they have to regain the enterprise clients first, so they can hold a position to stand steady, no matter what you think, Chen is doing the right thing.
    06-23-14 08:24 AM
    I'm sorry, something must have happened to the rest of your post, as the point you were trying to make must have been deleted. Would you mind re-stating it?

Sorry, once again, your post must have been cut off because it didn't include the point you were making. But, what do you mean teenagers buy because of their age? You're saying that because teenagers are young.....this factor alone (and nothing else) makes them buy one particular phone? And what does slurpees and starbucks have to do with anything?

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. But, once again.....something happened to the point you were making and perhaps it got deleted.

Sure. All of the above
    06-23-14 08:27 AM
    Sorry to disagree but Passport is for business users. Most IOS users have invested heavily in Apps, accessories and peripherals. The Apple ecosystem is tough to beat and most IOS users are not gonna give that up just for a keyboard. Besides, IPhone 6 will likely have a 4.7" screen so the screen motive is out. That leaves Android. Good luck with that as a slew of Android high end phones will be announced in the third quarter along with launch of LG G3 in July and the Passport, like previous BB10 phones, will look outdated specs-wise again. I've been reading several tech sites and was surprised not much mention has been given to the Passport. It's only on this site it's getting a lot of attention but the other sites not much because keyboard is not in most smartphone users' wish list.

So stuart445 has a point - there really isn't much buzz about the Passport outside of this site and he's afraid BlackBerry is further losing relevance among the touchscreen crowd the longer they delay the launch of Z30 successor
    i get what you mean but i don't agree with you.
    Apple seem to be very good at selling their argument: it's all about apps, we have them all.
    But innovation wise they looked after BB10 recently...
    Some may have heavily invested in iOS and won't spend for the same (or less) on another platform, but others will, because they'll get tired of the home button OS like i did.
    Others didn't spend that much and will switch if they see a profitable change in using a physical keyboard (like i do).
    For example i'm not a business user, i just love BB10 OS and find it marvellously enjoyable to use.
    I am a reader and internet browser fanatic.
    I think Amazon's deal will further fulfill users craving for more apps for BB10, i don't feel that lack (but i am not a gamer, i know where to get what i want on internet etc.)
    The keyboard device is an entirely different way to interact with your handset, i don't like to scroll on the screen and with my Q10 i am faster in doing multitasking than i were after 7 years of iOS exclusive use.
    The out-dated specs? my Q10 should be very outdated but it works like a charm.
    If they give the Passport 3GB of RAM it will be enough, and if i don't have the last processor in it i sincerely don't care as i basically just need a Q10 with more comfortable screen estate.
    To conclude, i understand what makes iOS unreachable (but i left that too closed environment) and i don't envy anything to the messy Android ecosystem (just saw a girl i know desperate about her 4 weeks old Samsung note 3 that is already bugged to death...), i just plainly love BB10 fluidity and elegance.
    There's a lot to do about marketing (but don't give too much credit to those headlines that peremptorily state "Blackberry just showed the ugliest phone with an inept 3 rows keyboard that nobody wants anymore" that's not journalism... that's at the very least a lazy statement based on habits... i could easily do the same, but i don't do the hipster for a living )
    I really hope there's room for a 3rd challenger in this smartphone battle, because iOS and Android are beginning to be too big and static software wise (and the "wearable device revolution"-to-be is yet to see .... i can sense a lot of hassle for not so much benefit... but iSheeps gonna love it! and Google will even now your heartbeat associated to your e-consuming habits soon... what a great evolution...)
    Business addicts will certainly love the Passport, as well as journalists and other people relying on fast typing and great editing functions on the go (Blackberry should particularly look after Docs to Go refining...).
    For the full touch device, it's to be noted that Chen didn't cancel Blackberry interest in it, the Z3's roll out is on schedule and may be a test to see if there's a demand for such full screen devices branded Blackeberry (it's a decent device, and i think a flagship should come in less than a year IF the keyboard handsets were to reach their 2.5 millions per quarter money-making goal...)
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-23-14 08:27 AM
    Chen's intention is obvious, he knows that BlackBerry can't compete with iOS or Android already, so if BlackBerry wants to regain their reputation, they have to regain the enterprise clients first, so they can hold a position to stand steady, no matter what you think, Chen is doing the right thing.
    Exactly. It's basic market analysis. No different than when some TV stations decide to air re-runs of Seinfeld instead of trying to compete with a 3 others airing a local newscast. They realize there are too many of those already and they could aim for the other segments of the market that weren't being served. They won't be superstars of their industry, but they'll make money.
    06-23-14 08:29 AM
    Sure. All of the above
    You must have some filter enabled that removes your point every time....or....

maybe you never had one?
    06-23-14 08:30 AM
    i get what you mean but i don't agree with you.
    For example i'm not a business user, i just love BB10 OS and find it marvellously enjoyable to use.
    I am a reader and internet browser fanatic.
    I think Amazon's deal will further fulfill users craving for more apps for BB10, i don't feel that lack (but i am not a gamer, i know where to get what i want on internet etc.)
    The keyboard device is an entirely different way to interact with your handset, i don't like to scroll on the screen and with my Q10 i am way more fast in doing multitasking than i were after 7 years of iOS exclusive use.
    The out-dated specs? my Q10 should be very outdated but it works like a charm.
    If they give the Passport 3GB of RAM it will be enough, and if i don't have the last processor in it i sincerely don't care as i basically just need a Q10 with more comfortable screen estate.
    To conclude, i understand what makes iOS unreachable (but i left that too closed environment) and i don't envy anything to the messy Android ecosystem (just saw a girl i know desperate about her 4 weeks old Samsung note 3 that is already bugged to death...), i just plainly love BB10 fluidity and elegance.
    There's a lot to do about marketing (but don't give too much credit to those headlines that peremptorily state "Blackberry just showed the ugliest phone with an inept 3 rows keyboard that nobody wants anymore" that's not journalism... that's at the very least a lazy statement based on habits... i could easily do the same, but i don't do the hipster for a living )
    I really hope there's room for a 3rd challenger in this smartphone battle, because iOS and Android are beginning to be too big and static software wise (and the "wearable device revolution"-to-be is yet to see .... i can sense a lot of hassle for not so much benefit... but iSheeps gonna love it! and Google will even now your heartbeat associated to your e-consuming habits soon... what a great evolution...)
    Business addicts will certainly love the Passport, as well as journalists and other people relying on fast typing and great editing functions on the go (Blackberry should particularly look after Docs to Go refining...).
    For the full touch device, it's to be noted that Chen didn't cancel Blackberry interest in it, the Z3's roll out is on schedule and may be a test to see if there's a demand for such full screen devices targeted Blackeberry (it's a decent device, and i think a flagship should come in less than a year IF the keyboard handsets were to reach their 2.5 millions per quarter money-making goal...)
    Thank you for your civil and thorough reply.

I understand your point of not being a non-business user but how many users like you are out there? 96% market share for Google & IOS is hard to ignore and no matter what some loyal BlackBerry users say "they've used them all from Windows to IPhone to buggy and laggy Androids and they always come back to BlackBerry", there's still not enough users like you to indicate that BB10 is the go to platform. I'm just seeing this from an outsiders point of view and from what I see, coming up with 2 new keyboard phones is really just for BlackBerry users, anything outside of that these phones don't matter much to the touchscreen crowd.

I'm not saying BlackBerry should not launch Passport and the Classic. By all means they are good moves for the Company for its loyal users.
    06-23-14 08:41 AM
    I think this is just a start for Chen to bring balance to BlackBerry. He knows that companies like Samsung make every size, shape and colour touchscreen phone imaginable, so why start my going up against a goliath? Start small and focus on what you are known for, retain (and gain) traction with people that love your device and not going to jump ship.

From what I have read I believe that their goal is to sell 1 million units a month. They are not looking to compete against Samsung or Apple who sell a million devices a day. They are very very very far away from reaching that goal (if that is even possible).

Also, for everyone that was complaining that BlackBerry look like its going to be keyboard phones only, don't forget there is still a rumored Manitoba concept phone that is supposed to be all touch screen (maybe even a slider? )

Live Long and Prosper BlackBerry
    06-23-14 08:42 AM
    You must have some filter enabled that removes your point every time....or....

maybe you never had one?
    No need to get antsy. Take your chill pill and you'll be fine.
    06-23-14 08:42 AM
    @Nemzy: If a new phone came out and was a hit, I'm sure all the carriers would jump on board.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 08:56 AM
    No need to get antsy. Take your chill pill and you'll be fine.
    Antsy? I simply asked you to make a point, or if you even had one.

But nice job with the implication that I need some medication. Classic indication of desperation and more evidence that there never was a point.
    06-23-14 09:00 AM
    Antsy? I simply asked you to make a point, or if you even had one.

But nice job with the implication that I need some medication. Classic indication of desperation and more evidence that there never was a point.
    Look, I get it. You're mad the Passport is not 100% supported in this blog. You're a diehard BlackBerry user. Anything I say won't make sense to you. And why am I desperate? Whether the Passport succeeds or not has no bearing on me because I prefer touchscreen phones. You, on the other hand, look so invested in it. I'm happy for you. Go and buy it when it comes out and rock it. You go Girl.
    idon12no likes this.
    06-23-14 09:05 AM
    Unlike apple BB offers more then just one device, to each his / her own. If the passport was the only offering, maybe they would take a big hit. So far though it has received positive feedback, not for me though.
    06-23-14 09:06 AM
    Thank you for your civil and thorough reply.

I understand your point of not being a non-business user but how many users like you are out there? 96% market share for Google & IOS is hard to ignore and no matter what some loyal BlackBerry users say "they've used them all from Windows to IPhone to buggy and laggy Androids and they always come back to BlackBerry", there's still not enough users like you to indicate that BB10 is the go to platform. I'm just seeing this from an outsiders point of view and from what I see, coming up with 2 new keyboard phones is really just for BlackBerry users, anything outside of that these phones don't matter much to the touchscreen crowd.

I'm not saying BlackBerry should not launch Passport and the Classic. By all means they are good moves for the Company for its loyal users.
    Normal to be civil, we are on a forum to confront our views that way right
    Concerning the BB10 as the platform to go, i don't see Chen having this presumption. He just fights (very well) with his strong points: e-BBM, multi-platform servers services etc.
    That's business related of course. And don't underestimate the professionals that usually need a reliable device that is 70% for work (if not more).
    In that area of "pro-sumers" (horrific word) i don't see iPhones and Androids as strong as they might be in the entertainment segment.
    For the "normal" consumers there's still a lot of work to do (the Skype concurrent that seems to be in the papers seems alluring...), but i do think the right way to sell Blackberry is to give it a strong connotation with physical keyboards.
    The 80% keyboard 20% full touch strategy is the way to go, as you have to make your legacy users (God! plenty of them are still using OS7!!! that's for example an outdated Blackberry OS that i didn't like and would never have ditched my jailbroken iOS for it!) switch to the great BB10.
    If i had to imagine what could resemble a smartphone market after Blackberry's resurgence it would be:
    - users with 50-100% multimedia/entertainment main use: Apple or Android
    - users with 25-50% multimedia/entertainment focus: Apple, Android and some Blackberry
    - users for solid messaging use and work focused: Blackberry.
    I think Chen is aiming at that in his Blackberry's first stage operation.
    Don't forget they come for very far (i for one thought they were dead when 2 years ago they were still with a ridiculously outdated OS and tiny unusable screens...), Blackberry is a work in progress, and lately its progress have been very promising.
    I'd just like people to understand how the interactions with a physical keyboard can be more efficient than a full touch device in some cases, the Q10 is a really smart phone when it comes to shortcuts and universal search directly from the keyboard (you think of it, type the beggining of it and there you are! simply brilliant!)
    06-23-14 09:16 AM
    Look, I get it. You're mad the Passport is not 100% supported in this blog. .
    Ah, so now you've switched to hyperbole. Good show!. I've never said anything about being "mad" about some 100% support, I simply asked you to make your point. Why can't you do that without constant subject changes?

You're a diehard BlackBerry user.
    That name of the web site is "Crackberry". Not really a shocker that die hard blackberry users might post here. Again....a point?

Anything I say won't make sense to you. .
    Until you make a point......no....it won't. I won't make sense to anyone. So....perhaps you could follow up your random statements with a point.

. And why am I desperate?
    Because instead of simply stating the points you might have been attempting to make (assuming you had one) you quickly resort to accusations and juvenile "take a pill" responses instead of taking that opportunity to clarify your point.

Whether the Passport succeeds or not has no bearing on me because I prefer touchscreen phones.
    Uh, OK, great. Another pointless sentence. Or were you trying to steer away from this entire conversation now by stating that, in actually, you really don't care at all and had no point from the beginning?

You, on the other hand, look so invested in it.
    Based on what? On my simple observations about market dynamics and your obvious inability to make a point? Stretch much?

I'm happy for you..
    I would believe you if you didn't follow up with yet another desperate juvenile statement here>>.

You go Girl.

Go and buy it when it comes out and rock it.
    I don't want to buy it nor have I ever made any indications that I did. Had you actually paid attention to the context of this thread you'd know this, but your weakness seems to be not only in making a point but understanding the conversation in which you are entering.

If you have rational arguments, please state them.
    Nharzhool likes this.
    06-23-14 09:17 AM
    Normal to be civil, we are on a forum to confront our views that way right
    Concerning the BB10 as the platform to go, i don't see Chen having this presumption. He just fights (very well) with his strong points: e-BBM, multi-platform servers services etc.
    That's business related of course. And don't underestimate the professionals that usually need a reliable device that is 70% for work (if not more).
    In that area of "pro-sumers" (horrific word) i don't see iPhones and Androids as strong as they might be in the entertainment segment.
    For the "normal" consumers there's still a lot of work to do (the Skype concurrent that seems to be in the papers seems alluring...), but i do think the right way to sell Blackberry is to give it a strong connotation with physical keyboards.
    The 80% keyboard 20% full touch strategy is the way to go, as you have to make your legacy users (God! plenty of them are still using OS7!!! that's for example an outdated Blackberry OS that i didn't like and would never have ditched my jailbroken iOS for it!) switch to the great BB10.
    If i had to imagine what could resemble a smartphone market after Blackberry's resurgence it would be:
    - users with 50-100% multimedia/entertainment main use: Apple or Android
    - users with 25-50% multimedia/entertainment focus: Apple, Android and some Blackberry
    - users for solid messaging use and work focused: Blackberry.
    I think Chen is aiming at that in his Blackberry's first stage operation.
    Don't forget they come for very far (i for one thought they were dead when 2 years ago they were still with a ridiculously outdated OS and tiny unusable screens...), Blackberry is a work in progress, and lately its progress have been very promising.
    I'd just like people to understand how the interactions with a physical keyboard can be more efficient than a full touch device in some cases, the Q10 is a really smart phone when it comes to shortcuts and universal search directly from the keyboard (you think of it, type the beggining of it and there you are! simply brilliant!)
    Makes sense. Thanks for your counter-argument
    BroncoVAL and Shadowyugi like this.
    06-23-14 09:18 AM
    Ah, so now you've switched to hyperbole. Good show!. I've never said anything about being "mad" about some 100% support, I simply asked you to make your point. Why can't you do that without constant subject changes?

That name of the web site is "Crackberry". Not really a shocker that die hard blackberry users might post here. Again....a point?

Until you make a point......no....it won't. I won't make sense to anyone. So....perhaps you could follow up your random statements with a point.

Because instead of simply stating the points you might have been attempting to make (assuming you had one) you quickly resort to accusations and juvenile "take a pill" responses instead of taking that opportunity to clarify your point.

Uh, OK, great. Another pointless sentence. Or were you trying to steer away from this entire conversation now by stating that, in actually, you really don't care at all and had no point from the beginning?

Based on what? On my simple observations about market dynamics and your obvious inability to make a point? Stretch much?

I would believe you if you didn't follow up with yet another desperate juvenile statement here>>.

I don't want to buy it nor have I ever made any indications that I did. Had you actually paid attention to the context of this thread you'd know this, but your weakness seems to be not only in making a point but understanding the conversation in which you are entering.

If you have rational arguments, please state them.
    Yikes. I should've said take Extra Strength Chill Pill. On top of that, take a Comprehension Pill. Good night, I'm done with you.
    BB_Junky likes this.
    06-23-14 09:23 AM
    So people are having a discussion with counter points.

Others are having an argument with antsy and snarky replies.

Guys, I think we might need Supermod!
    06-23-14 09:29 AM
    Yikes. I should've said take Extra Strength Chill Pill. On top of that, take a Comprehension Pill. Good night, I'm done with you.
    I'll take that additional desperate insult as "no" to my rational arguments request. Next time, have a point in mind.
    06-23-14 09:29 AM
692 ... 56789 ...