08-06-15 04:53 AM
692 ... 45678 ...
tools
    People just here hating on the passport all because they can't afford it, saying its ugly is gonna be a failure bla bla bla! Then why yall didn't say the samsung notes gonna be a failure cuz its huge and and nothing like that in the market before it came out. The passport is Excpetional and one of a kind if you like it or not and for yall saying Chen don't know what he is doing please you the one that it is so daft that you don't know nothing or knowledge what is happaening out there. As a marketer before you launch a product you must make a research to know what kind of product ppl want, where they want them, how they want them in your segment meaning where BB is focusing on and I'm so sure BB and Chen did their research before starting the production of this phone, offcourse some not gonna like but the Icon Blackberry itself is proffessional and they out there to suit the proffessionals out there who wants this phone. And some Ppl saying keyboard is 2007 and while hot Celebrities like Kim K,Drake, Piers Morgan, Cavani, Riberry and Co. Still on their blackberry KB phones.
    06-23-14 03:52 AM
    I love how everyone is saying that people love physical keyboard, that must be why blackberry are the leading smartphone seller, oh wait they aren't are they. The market has spoken.

Last thing it's got nothing to do with not being able for afford it, I will be able to afford it easily, but I'm not wasting on something so ugly

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 04:10 AM
    Piers Morgan has one of dear think that's just killed the physical keyboard stone dead for sure. Who wants to be like that parasite.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 04:15 AM
    Then move on! Chen aint forcing it on you or anyone out there. Ppl that they made it for are out there desperately waiting to put their money on it!
    06-23-14 04:16 AM
    May be Kim K is a parasite too? Well I may be wrong.
    06-23-14 04:18 AM
    Kim k no but Piers Morgan is a horrible individual who should never be considered as anywhere near cool.

BlackBerry have to win customers back who have already jumped ship from BlackBerry to Android or iOS, the passport isn't going to do that.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 04:33 AM
    Using an "I think" or "in my opinion" then and when in your posts would help. It's this absolutely being firm and not having the shadow of a doubt about future things that nobody can really know of, that makes your posts kind of unappealing. People not sharing your opinion might feel attacked rather than dragged into an inspiring discussion. Just my humble opinion. You might not care, though.

Posted via CB10
    currentodysseys and Nemzy like this.
    06-23-14 04:49 AM
    John Chen is a boss. Lay off his nuts !

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 04:51 AM
    Whatever Chen might be thinking..he is at the moment the best guy to take BlackBerry forward! I don't think there is any other executive who wants to be in Chen's shoes at the moment!
    In other words..if John Chen can't turnaround this company then I don't think anyone can!

Posted via CB10
    DJM626 likes this.
    06-23-14 05:11 AM
    What is he playing at with the Passport, He is not a stupid man he is surely a highly intelligent man. But this new device will be the device that finally kills Blackberry. In technology you HAVE to keep moving forward if you stand still and you will be left behind. But if you do what Blackberry are doing and go backwards you go down a route you will not return from. Physical keyboard are a thing of the past there is a reason why the likes of Samsung and Apple don't use them, you won't see them bringing out a physical keyboard phone as there is only a very small amount of people want them hence why Blackberry has fallen so far behind them. It's easy the Z30 is an awesome phone all they need to do is bring out a updated version of it with the specs that can compete.

It's a sad day as I love using my Z30 and it seems as if it's going to be my last Blackberry I own as when it eventually dies of old age I will be forced to by an Android phone it's a real shame really Blackberry had a really good platform to build on with the Z30 but have decided to turn the complete wrong way. Sometimes different isn't always a good thing, Sometimes things like the Passport haven't been done because there isn't a market for them. If this was brought out when Blackberry first went to do touchscreens then it might have worked as it would be a progression towards touchscreen but to do it now is illogical and a daft thing to do.

R.I.P Blackberry :-(

Stuart
    I can see some of your concerns but honestly, making a touch-capable keyboard on a smartphone is not going backwards my friend. I would say it is quite revolutionary as an idea. I would also dare say that tech wise it is a huge step forward when looked at from a greater angle. I would love a touch keyboard on my pc any day .

I think it is quite the thing to do, getting this device out, and I also believe that the Passport is in a way a "test device" for the new technology.

Keyboards are not a thing of the past, as long as computers use a keyboard. The fact that most of the market associates phones with touch screen, does not make a touch-keyboard less of a great innovation imo. And at later stages, when it evolves, I think it will be a killer idea with lots of promise, provided it flourishes... again, it may not, but that does not make it a bad move.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-23-14 05:17 AM
    OP sounds reasonably bitter and angry about Chen's choices...

I can understand not agreeing with the plans he's making but outright knocking is has to be the craziest thing ever.

Touchscreen phones don't automatically mean they win the smartphone race. BlackBerry's issues have always been deeper than that.

And like it or not (you definitely don't), it is the keyboard that has kept them afloat all this years.

I mean think about it, BlackBerry had 3 (possibly) main issues

1) Marketing
    2) OS issues
    3) Pricing issues.

And even with all this, people still chose to buy OS7 phones before Z10 and Z30. And even when the Z10 was advertised (briefly), it was in the news enough for people with the OS7 devices to buy them and even then, they didn't care because they were not interested. And now that he's trying to cater to the company's core consumers, you're knocking it like they are about to commit suicide.

They own enterprise and they want to keep it that way. That means bringing out devices that the enterprise space wants.

Would I like a full-on high end touch screen device? HECK YES!

So do I think the Passport is a failure as a result? NO. Hell, it's the most attractive piece of blackberry hardware that I actually i'm debating to get.

Personally, i'm down to either the Z30 or the Passport.

PS: Take it easy. You are passionate for the company, we understand. But so far, Chen has been doing the things needed to keep the company afloat. He has succeeded so far. He deserves the benefit of doubt.
    BroncoVAL, Nemzy and Jrox74 like this.
    06-23-14 05:42 AM
    To be fair. They could have Foxconn update the Z30 and I'd be fine with it. Do t need some new killer phone. Just marketing this time. They could have it built and ready to go by Sept with the Passport.

Z30s or Z30w (as in waterproof) with an assortment of back plates. But also I am banking on this Manitoba rumour.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-23-14 05:46 AM
    Op, if you release a high end speced all touch and PKB BlackBerry 10 before passport, who will buy that passport?

No one of course. Lol

About the BlackBerry designs...
    Patents of other companies' designs are affecting BlackBerry thats why they come up with a bit weird forms.
    (my opinion)

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 06:03 AM
    Why would anyone buy the passport over any other phone that are more portable and practical. BlackBerry has to stop trying to cater sorely on its core customers as it's clearly Not working.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 06:08 AM
    Shadowyugi get the Z30 it is and awesome phone, will fit in your pocket and you won't look ridiculous carrying it around. The passport will be carried in hand most of the time as it'll be too big to fit most pockets

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 06:10 AM
    Shadowyugi get the Z30 it is and awesome phone, will fit in your pocket and you won't look ridiculous carrying it around. The passport will be carried in hand most of the time as it'll be too big to fit most pockets

Posted via CB10
    if I can fit a 3ds into my pockets, i can fit the Passport just as easy.

Besides, I usually have a good range of pockets on me whenver I got out, so I'm pretty sure I could find a place for it.

As to getting a Z30, it's still dependent on the price for the Passport, tbh.

Because I am currently planning on quietly retiring my playbook (it's beginning to show a bit of its age, that and I've tinkered a bit with it) and getting a MS Surface. The Passport would work well with it.

Touch screen phones are awesome but sometimes, keyboard phones are just better.
    06-23-14 06:22 AM
    hummm...i 'd really like to know what Mr. Chen is thinking...
    Not about his focusing on keyboard devices (as i really like his strategy and find it really smart) but when it comes to the right pricing i just hope he won't do the same mistake as his predecessor.
    He says 10M phones sales is the target to be profitable, let's cross our fingers here that doesn't include a premium tag price!
    They sold 1.8M phones (if i remember well) and they'll need 2.5M next quarter to reach their goal, i'd sooner be a little more bold and say i need to sell 12-15M phones with an aggressive tag price!
    If instead of 600-700$ they were to cut 20-30% off the price i really believe the sales could easily double next quarter:
    imagine a Classic between (349-399$ ) and a Passport with a 499-549$ price range (when i sadly expect the real prices to be way more expensive: like 499$ for the Classic and 649$ for the Passport...) and a lot of people would have a go with BB10 devices as the keyboard refocused hand-sets aim to the unadventurous legacy users as well as the more geeky comfortable screen estate seekers (some of whom liked the horrendous typo keyboard for iOS for example...).
    I really think there's a lot more than business users to be potentially interested in those 2 devices.
    Price will be the clincher (and a good marketing too...).
    06-23-14 06:23 AM
    Unfortunately people these days go for style of function and the passport is just plain ugly, what makes me laugh the most is when the leaked photos came out everyone on here was saying I hope it's not like that it's too big and ugly. Well it's exactly like the leaked photos just with a silver edge

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 06:40 AM
    I see lots of replies stating that nobody wants a phone with a physical keyboard anymore, so I ask the question on why Seacrest's Typo for the iPhone generated so much buzz??
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-23-14 06:40 AM
    Did it create a buzz? All I saw was an article on here saying blackberry won't in court, that's hardly creating a buzz

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 06:42 AM
    I see lots of replies stating that nobody wants a phone with a physical keyboard anymore, so I ask the question on why Seacrest's Typo for the iPhone generated so much buzz??
    Because the media / ryan seacrest / smart (or dumb, depending on the angle you're viewing them from) iphone users understand how valuable a keyboard is.
    06-23-14 06:42 AM
    Exactly, there is still a need for physical keyboards out there..
    06-23-14 06:47 AM
    You're looking at the wrong products.

Look at the BBOS sales vs BB10........

Where have you been?

Posted via CB10 on 10.2.1.3139
    Look, I know there's people owning old BlackBerry phones that could still adopt the new devices, and don't get me wrong I would be glad if it would happen, I'm just not convinced that this is the device that BlackBerry needs right now, I don't see that many people buying it . It looks like a device for specific market, I actually quite like how it looks so I will go check it out, it just seems to me that this device might not be adopted by that many people. That said, I really hope I'm wrong.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 06:49 AM
    hummm...i 'd really like to know what Mr. Chen is thinking...
    Not about his focusing on keyboard devices (as i really like his strategy and find it really smart) but when it comes to the right pricing i just hope he won't do the same mistake as his predecessor.
    He says 10M phones sales is the target to be profitable, let's cross our fingers here that doesn't include a premium tag price!
    They sold 1.8M phones (if i remember well) and they'll need 2.5M next quarter to reach their goal, i'd sooner be a little more bold and say i need to sell 12-15M phones with an aggressive tag price!
    If instead of 600-700$ they were to cut 20-30% off the price i really believe the sales could easily double next quarter:
    imagine a Classic between (349-399$ ) and a Passport with a 499-549$ price range (when i sadly expect the real prices to be way more expensive: like 499$ for the Classic and 649$ for the Passport...) and a lot of people would have a go with BB10 devices as the keyboard refocused hand-sets aim to the unadventurous legacy users as well as the more geeky comfortable screen estate seekers (some of whom liked the horrendous typo keyboard for iOS for example...).
    I really think there's a lot more than business users to be potentially interested in those 2 devices.
    Price will be the clincher (and a good marketing too...).
    Sorry to disagree but Passport is for business users. Most IOS users have invested heavily in Apps, accessories and peripherals. The Apple ecosystem is tough to beat and most IOS users are not gonna give that up just for a keyboard. Besides, IPhone 6 will likely have a 4.7" screen so the screen motive is out. That leaves Android. Good luck with that as a slew of Android high end phones will be announced in the third quarter along with launch of LG G3 in July and the Passport, like previous BB10 phones, will look outdated specs-wise again. I've been reading several tech sites and was surprised not much mention has been given to the Passport. It's only on this site it's getting a lot of attention but the other sites not much because keyboard is not in most smartphone users' wish list.

So stuart445 has a point - there really isn't much buzz about the Passport outside of this site and he's afraid BlackBerry is further losing relevance among the touchscreen crowd the longer they delay the launch of Z30 successor
    06-23-14 06:50 AM
    Why would anyone buy the passport over any other phone that are more portable and practical.
    Posted via CB10
    Ok, I'll bite. Because they aren't as concerned with portability or practicability. Gosh, that was easy. Any other questions?

BlackBerry has to stop trying to cater sorely on its core customers as it's clearly Not working.

Posted via CB10
    Makes no sense. Blackberry stopped catering to it's core customers which is why BB10 has flopped so far....it was too extreme a move from the beloved OS7. Perhaps going back to it's core customers...while including all the things that many people look for in other phones (touch screens, faster specs, larger screen, apps, reliability, etc).....is the key to regaining market share.
    06-23-14 06:54 AM
692 ... 45678 ...