08-06-15 05:53 AM
692 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Oh and to the people saying about using a pc without a mouse, you do realise the latest generation of computers are going to be touchscreen and won't have a mouse??

It's probably best not to sell this passport in the UK as it's taking a a battering over here, maybe big and ugly is good in the USA. It isn't here though.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 07:12 PM
    BlackBerry thinks that the Classic and Passport will make better business phones. Too early to tell but the new Passport has the potential to be a really interesting phone. Not a Samsung copycat.

Still, I think that an upgraded 4.7 inch phone in a Z10 sized frame is the way to go.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 07:16 PM
    In a word yes, stuck with keyboards too long then brought out the z10 which battery was a joke, I'm not a heavy user but I couldn't get it to last a day. Then brought out the Z30 but didn't let anyone know it existed so it was on the route to failure from the start. If they had marketed the Z30 better basically let people know it existed it would have sound a lot better due to the quality look and feel.

Posted via CB10
    Hardware keyboard phones are what keeping Blackberry alive and for them to focus only on touchscreen devices would be a mistake, given that the majority of the current user based have hardware keyboard phones.
    You said in a previous post that blackberry need to get new customers and keep their existing customers. The passport plays a roll in both, as just because you personally would not use the passport does not mean others will not.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that blackberry makes a profit on the phone and does not have do any write downs on the product. Blackberry is not looking to make "a hero phone" to save them, but rather they are making different devices for different segments of the smartphone market.

If blacbkerry is not making the device you want, then you either move on or stick it out in the hopes that they will release something that you want. It just that simple.

If you really think that Blackberry is making the wrong choice, then I would recommend you try applying for Chen's job and lets us know how well that goes.
    Shadowyugi and Jrox74 like this.
    06-22-14 07:22 PM
    What is he playing at with the Passport, He is not a stupid man he is surely a highly intelligent man. But this new device will be the device that finally kills Blackberry. In technology you HAVE to keep moving forward if you stand still and you will be left behind. But if you do what Blackberry are doing and go backwards you go down a route you will not return from. Physical keyboard are a thing of the past there is a reason why the likes of Samsung and Apple don't use them, you won't see them bringing out a physical keyboard phone as there is only a very small amount of people want them hence why Blackberry has fallen so far behind them. It's easy the Z30 is an awesome phone all they need to do is bring out a updated version of it with the specs that can compete.

It's a sad day as I love using my Z30 and it seems as if it's going to be my last Blackberry I own as when it eventually dies of old age I will be forced to by an Android phone it's a real shame really Blackberry had a really good platform to build on with the Z30 but have decided to turn the complete wrong way. Sometimes different isn't always a good thing, Sometimes things like the Passport haven't been done because there isn't a market for them. If this was brought out when Blackberry first went to do touchscreens then it might have worked as it would be a progression towards touchscreen but to do it now is illogical and a daft thing to do.

R.I.P Blackberry :-(

Stuart
    OP you are making it sound like BlackBerry will never again release another flagship touchscreen device.

My understanding is that there is another touchscreen device in the works - the Z50/Manitoba, which is supposed to be the Z30 successor.

The Z30 has only been out for 8 months. So I'm sure that by the time your Z30 eventually needs to be replaced there will another BlackBerry touchscreen device.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    06-22-14 07:25 PM
    That might be web99 but when / if this flops what carriers will carry it when limited carriers had th Z30?

My carrier EE who are the biggest in the UK didn't carry it I had to spend 500 gbp ($802.45) to buy it unlocked.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 07:32 PM
    I believe the Passport was creates with specific market in mind ; medical, clinical, and institutional professionals who need access to messaging as well as to visualize medical files, reports, x-rays, CAT scans, ECG's etc.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    06-22-14 07:32 PM
    The classic I understand because of people that think they need a trackpad and want traditional BlackBerry PKB. I don't see theses same, vocal, people going with the Passport because the PKB is so different. I don't think it will be successful. Might, but I have my doubts looking at the complaints about the Q10.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    06-22-14 07:45 PM
    Oh and to the people saying about using a pc without a mouse, you do realise the latest generation of computers are going to be touchscreen and won't have a mouse??

It's probably best not to sell this passport in the UK as it's taking a a battering over here, maybe big and ugly is good in the USA. It isn't here though.

Posted via CB10
    Um... no, sorry. You're obviously not a power user on PC. Touchscreen only for computers are only good for tablets and those all-in-one PC's that are mainly used by teenage girls who only use them for internet browsing and watching netflix...

I do a lot of photoshop, PC gaming, website building, etc. I'll keep my mouse, thanks...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10?
    Jrox74 and nebsekhem like this.
    06-22-14 08:00 PM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Putting all my money behind blackberry ceo Chen.....

He knows where blackberry can be successful and where it has strategic advantages....

Build on your strengths....

Posted via CB10
    Jrox74 likes this.
    06-22-14 08:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lol and now you speak for the UK too? I am from the UK and like I said, after trying the passport, If I like it I will buy.

Addressing your previous reply, If you believe that the reason BlackBerry's market share has fallen because of physical keyboards then I fear you haven't got a clue what you are talking about. There are many factors that led to BlackBerry losing market share such as delayed releases, poor devices (Storm which was full touch), undelivered promises (Playbook) and poor marketing. Nothing to do with a physical keyboard but Im not here to convince you. You seem to think you represent the UK, Business people and the market on the whole.
    Shadowyugi and Jrox74 like this.
    06-22-14 08:05 PM
    Um... no, sorry. You're obviously not a power user on PC. Touchscreen only for computers are only good for tablets and those all-in-one PC's that are mainly used by teenage girls who only use them for internet browsing and watching netflix...

I do a lot of photoshop, PC gaming, website building, etc. I'll keep my mouse, thanks...

So if touchscreen is soo bad why is it that everyone is buying them and all the phone companies that are making them are leaving Blackberry behind?

As I said selling it in the UK will be a bad idea as it's not going down well here. It's way to big and ugly to be popular here.
    06-22-14 08:08 PM
    Blah. There is room for both. That killer all touch BlackBerry will be here soon enough. In the meantime, some really killer qwerty devices are coming out very soon, and I am actually quite excited about that Passport. I am ready to see it on video with that long fingered guy from Vietnam. I think Chen made the right choice going with the qwerty devices first. Heins should have done the very same thing.
    06-22-14 08:10 PM
    So if touchscreen is soo bad why is it that everyone is buying them and all the phone companies that are making them are leaving Blackberry behind?

As I said selling it in the UK will be a bad idea as it's not going down well here. It's way to big and ugly to be popular here.
    Maybe if the other companies sold a phone like the passport they'd be selling 4 times as many as they are now.
    06-22-14 08:11 PM
    Blah. There is room for both. That killer all touch BlackBerry will be here soon enough. In the meantime, some really killer qwerty devices are coming out very soon, and I am actually quite excited about that Passport. I am ready to see it on video with that long fingered guy from Vietnam. I think Chen made the right choice going with the qwerty devices first. Heins should have done the very same thing.
    Heins should have gone with the Z30 first, the Z10 with it's rubbish battery life was never going to win anyone over. I'm afraid that history is now repeating itself with the passport.
    06-22-14 08:14 PM
    Maybe if the other companies sold a phone like the passport they'd be selling 4 times as many as they are now.
    This is the most meta thing I have ever seen. Are you quoting your own reply?
    06-22-14 08:16 PM
    It has a gimmick and that's enough.
    Sales people sell gimmicks.
    If a person wants into a store and says they like keyboard phones, this has enough of a cool factor for a sales person to get excited about.
    Sure it's kinda weird looking, but who cares. If it has specs and a gimmick it can be pushed.
    It also seems to be thin which I think will feel pretty great when in hand. Almost like a Sony e-reader from a while back.

I really think they should have called it the blackberry boss. They could have targeted the 'like a boss' idea.

But I digress, it has a gimmick and that's what is important. We all have been harping on BlackBerry to get some gimmicks in its phones (3d -have you seen the tat videos from 5! Years ago-, q-net, anything...) just some sort of differentiation.

They finally did. It's not what I want, but whatever, it has something that can be pushed.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 08:16 PM
    Such a narrow minded post.
    Shadowyugi, Jrox74 and Nharzhool like this.
    06-22-14 08:18 PM
    It has a gimmick and that's enough.
    Sales people sell gimmicks.
    If a person wants into a store and says they like keyboard phones, this has enough of a cool factor for a sales person to get excited about.
    Sure it's kinda weird looking, but who cares. If it has specs and a gimmick it can be pushed.
    It also seems to be thin which I think will feel pretty great when in hand. Almost like a Sony e-reader from a while back.

I really think they should have called it the blackberry boss. They could have targeted the 'like a boss' idea.

But I digress, it has a gimmick and that's what is important. We all have been harping on BlackBerry to get some gimmicks in its phones (3d -have you seen the tat videos from 5! Years ago-, q-net, anything...) just some sort of differentiation.

They finally did. It's not what I want, but whatever, it has something that can be pushed.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think it's gimmicks that people here have been asking for, what I've been reading here is that they want blackberry to catch up, this is not the way to catch up as people will look at it and see the look and the physical keyboard and think it's old, lets face it, it looks like an 80s calculator.
    06-22-14 08:22 PM
    Heins should have gone with the Z30 first, the Z10 with it's rubbish battery life was never going to win anyone over. I'm afraid that history is now repeating itself with the passport.
    I rather enjoy my Z10. Rubbish battery, eh? Not sure I agree with that assessment. It is no where close to the Z30, but I am still rather pleased with it. I still say Q10 should have been first, but I do agree that the Z30 should have been in the mix before the Z10. The Z10 could have been for those who liked smaller devices/screens. But, after the Z30. Alas, none of this can be changed now. Chen is rolling with the strong suit first. Enterprise folks love that damn qwerty keyboard. He would be a fool not to release one of those. I would love to see the release of the all touch this year as well, but it is not going to happen.
    Bbnivende and Shadowyugi like this.
    06-22-14 08:25 PM
    I rather enjoy my Z10. Rubbish battery, eh? Not sure I agree with that assessment. It is no where close to the Z30, but I am still rather pleased with it. I still say Q10 should have been first, but I do agree that the Z30 should have been in the mix before the Z10. The Z10 could have been for those who liked smaller devices/screens. But, after the Z30. Alas, none of this can be changed now. Chen is rolling with the strong suit first. Enterprise folks love that damn qwerty keyboard. He would be a fool not to release one of those. I would love to see the release of the all touch this year as well, but it is not going to happen.
    Don't get me wrong I really liked my Z10 but I couldn't get the battery to last a whole day and I'm by no means a heavy user which is why as soon as the Z30 came out I brought it. Also I'm not complaining about the Classic it's just there is no need for two physical keyboards especially with the Passport being so stupidly big and ugly.
    06-22-14 08:30 PM
    What is he playing at with the Passport, He is not a stupid man he is surely a highly intelligent man. But this new device will be the device that finally kills Blackberry. In technology you HAVE to keep moving forward if you stand still and you will be left behind. But if you do what Blackberry are doing and go backwards you go down a route you will not return from. Physical keyboard are a thing of the past there is a reason why the likes of Samsung and Apple don't use them, you won't see them bringing out a physical keyboard phone as there is only a very small amount of people want them hence why Blackberry has fallen so far behind them. It's easy the Z30 is an awesome phone all they need to do is bring out a updated version of it with the specs that can compete.

It's a sad day as I love using my Z30 and it seems as if it's going to be my last Blackberry I own as when it eventually dies of old age I will be forced to by an Android phone it's a real shame really Blackberry had a really good platform to build on with the Z30 but have decided to turn the complete wrong way. Sometimes different isn't always a good thing, Sometimes things like the Passport haven't been done because there isn't a market for them. If this was brought out when Blackberry first went to do touchscreens then it might have worked as it would be a progression towards touchscreen but to do it now is illogical and a daft thing to do.

R.I.P Blackberry :-(

Stuart
    You are making an observation base on a few devices. Running a company like BlackBerry requires beyond that. Needless to say you have no information beyond your interest of a couple of devices. I can list a few more things such as BBM, QNX, enterprise services and many more that I and many of you have no privilege of knowing. It's good we are not the one hiring CEO to run BlackBerry. It'll collapse faster than a couple of kittys playing jenga.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-22-14 08:34 PM
    You are making an observation base on a few devices. Running a company like BlackBerry requires beyond that. Needless to say you have no information beyond your interest of a couple of devices. I can list a few more things such as BBM, QNX, enterprise services and many more that I and many of you have no privilege of knowing. It's good we are not the one hiring CEO to run BlackBerry. It'll collapse faster than a couple of kittys playing jenga.
    the Passport should have Watch This! as a strapline, it's the universal 2 words that are said before all big car crashes
    06-22-14 08:41 PM

Um, maybe you should learn to read. I was talking about the touchscreen only PC comment with no mouse... And whether something is good or not isn't the only reason things sell.

My Oakley sunglasses are a million times better than those crappy windshield sunglasses that are in fashion now. So why does that style sunglasses sell better? Because they are in fashion. Same thing right now Samsung and Apple are in fashion, so they outsell every one. BlackBerry has tried the all touch devices like the Z's. They need to improve their image first, that's the thing that will turn things around, not the types of devices themselves...

06-22-14 08:44 PM
    I believe the Passport was creates with specific market in mind ; medical, clinical, and institutional professionals who need access to messaging as well as to visualize medical files, reports, x-rays, CAT scans, ECG's etc.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    But there are many folks here who want a Passport but are not in the medical profession.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 08:47 PM
    Um, maybe you should learn to read. I was talking about the touchscreen only PC comment with no mouse... And whether something is good or not isn't the only reason things sell.

My Oakley sunglasses are a million times better than those crappy windshield sunglasses that are in fashion now. So why does that style sunglasses sell better? Because they are in fashion. Same thing right now Samsung and Apple are in fashion, so they outsell every one. BlackBerry has tried the all touch devices like the Z's. They need to improve their image first, that's the thing that will turn things around, not the types of devices themselves...

Those sunglasses are in fashion as they look good. Oakley are better sunglasses which is why I wear them, but they are by no means ugly unlike the Passport. Also people are attracted to devices by the way they look first they have to be good to look at to attract the attention and the Passport just isn't good looking by any stretch of the imagination.
    06-22-14 08:51 PM
692 ... 23456 ...