08-06-15 05:53 AM
692 12345 ...
tools
    I personally think the thing is hideous, but I can see where it's design could work in the medical and health care industry. That said, I think it's going to be a complete failure. What about it is going to be so revolutionary that people in those industries will leave their current devices? Is there really a market substantial enough to where developing a targeted device has a realistic chance at success? I have no idea but we would have to assume that Chen is convinced of it. The Classic on the other hand will probably be very successful with legacy users and BlackBerry purists. In fact, I might question why not release the Classic first? It seems to me like the higher percentage play in terms of generating some stability and positive cash flow. I know there is much info I don't have about that decision, but I would be curious to know. For myself, I'm one of those who will be waiting for the next full touch device. The thing is, if either the Classic or Passport fails, it could spell the end or at least push back development of any new handsets. That would be a sad situation.

Z10
    06-22-14 03:52 PM
    You're right I've never seen Samsung, Nokia and Sony make a qwerty phones oh wait yes I have
    right because samsung s3570 (latest samsung qwerty, only one?) was meant to be a high end phone
    right because the xperia mini was meant to be a high end phone too
    and nokia still produces qwerty phones
    06-22-14 03:57 PM
    right because samsung s3570 (latest samsung qwerty, only one?) was meant to be a high end phone
    right because the xperia mini was meant to be a high end phone too
    and nokia still produces qwerty phones
    Nokia still does but I think it's a safe bet that the all touchscreens are selling better.
    06-22-14 04:00 PM
    50m+ users who still use BBOS because they need/want/prefer keyboards, but so far, BB10 was not enough of an upgrade for them.
    ###m+ users who hate typing on glass but who like having larger screens.
    ###m+ users who would consider a KB phone, if it would offer a viewing/gaming/app comfort & pleasure comparable to a full touchscreen device.

I think the addressable market for KB devices is H-U-G-E. It's just, that so far, nobody had the right offer to fully address these markets.
    06-22-14 04:28 PM
    I'm sure a high end touch screen is coming, probably in February since that would be a year since the release of the Z30s and as far as the passport being aimed at the medical industry, I think this makes sense since I haven't seen a lot of X-rays in landscape.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 04:31 PM
    The z30 wasn't out in February 2014, I got mine in November 2013. I hope you're right though, even if over a year between high end phones is a bit too long

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 04:41 PM
    One thing is certain though and that Is the Passport will be a flop, they should have brought out the classic and a high end full touchscreen.

This is like the z10 and z30 all over again, the Z30 should have been the one released first

Posted via CB10
    haringfish likes this.
    06-22-14 04:47 PM
    The enterprise market controls BlackBerry right now. Get a clue. Chen understands this that's all that matters right now.

Posted via Z30 C0002FDEF
    06-22-14 05:12 PM
    The Passport will still flop business people want portability, look at the size of that abomination it's as far from portable as you can get

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 05:17 PM
    The Passport will still flop business people want portability, look at the size of that abomination it's as far from portable as you can get

Posted via CB10
    I remember when I was 15.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 05:32 PM
    <sarcasm> Did they finally start selling magic crystal balls? Because you seem to know everything. </sarcasm>
    LLAmos likes this.
    06-22-14 05:42 PM
    You what?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 05:44 PM
    I've never owned a physical keyboard phone but this will be my first because it actually brings a huge screen along with it. A lot of people liked having a physical keyboard but didn't want to give up the screen space for it so here is the solution along with other tricks.

Just like how everyone still uses a mouse and keyboard to get work done this will be the phone for productivity. As a system admin it will be awesome to remote into systems and not have a virtual keyboard take up half the screen to enter text.
    Shadowyugi and Timbosaurus like this.
    06-22-14 05:50 PM
    These days the majority look for touchscreen and high specs, whether we like it or not these days smartphones are a fashion statement and a physical keyboard aren't fashionable and no one will want to be seen using out dated technology

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 05:53 PM
    These days the majority look for touchscreen and high specs, whether we like it or not these days smartphones are a fashion statement and a physical keyboard aren't fashionable and no one will want to be seen using out dated technology

Posted via CB10
    This physical keyboard is in no way "out of date technology." In fact, it is the first of it's kind. There has never been a capacitive touch physical keyboard.
    06-22-14 05:57 PM
    I guess every office in the world should dump their keyboards and mice for touchscreens and watch productivity plummet along with it. Sorry but text editing is crap on full touch and I say that as a z10 owner. It's much better then my previous iphone but still not great.

The smartphone market shouldn't only be dictated by posers who think what phone they carry makes them cool.
    homer1475 likes this.
    06-22-14 06:02 PM
    I won't assume that just because I don't like it the market wouldn't. I'll let the fact that Blackberry have the smallest market share show that.
    So as I suggested in my earlier post, you are suggesting that the reason BlackBerry has not been successful is because of the physical keyboard. Correct?

One thing is certain though and that Is the Passport will be a flop, they should have brought out the classic and a high end full touchscreen.

Posted via CB10
    So even after people have brought insight into why the passport was made for, you still believe it will flop. Why? Because you don't want to buy one? As I said previously, for some reason, you believe you are the voice of the market. Fortunately, you aren't and neither am I. Time will tell. All I know is that when the Passport is released, I will try it and if I like it, I will buy it. If you don't like it, an it doesn't suit your needs, don't buy it.
    Shadowyugi and Jrox74 like this.
    06-22-14 06:02 PM
    No I'm not the voice of the market the market has spoken and put blackberry last.

With smartphones it's all about touchscreens and people will look at that and think out of date, to survive blackberry need to win those people over and they won't with this.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 06:05 PM
    Regardless of what we think, I'd prefer functional of style but I'm in the minority, the people who buy for style alone are the bigger market.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 06:08 PM
    .... and people will look at that and think out of date, to survive blackberry need to win those people over and they won't with this.
    Reactions of 9 out of 10 people here on CB on the first real images of the Passport speak a totally different language. Even those who found the format strange or ugly in the first place seem to be excited by now.
    06-22-14 06:19 PM
    No I'm not the voice of the market the market has spoken and put blackberry last.
    Posted via CB10
    You seem to keep avoiding my question, so i'll try again:

Are you suggesting that the market has "put BlackBerry last" because of the physical keyboard? If so please explain how you have come to this conclusion.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-22-14 06:23 PM
    Are passport in the USA smaller than the UK passport?

Having my passport in my pocket would be extremely uncomfortable if it didn't bend and was as think as thus phone is. That phone looks ugly and is in practical to carry it around in your pocket. Maybe it'll come with its very own carry bag then it could be carried like a laptop.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 06:25 PM
    In a word yes, stuck with keyboards too long then brought out the z10 which battery was a joke, I'm not a heavy user but I couldn't get it to last a day. Then brought out the Z30 but didn't let anyone know it existed so it was on the route to failure from the start. If they had marketed the Z30 better basically let people know it existed it would have sound a lot better due to the quality look and feel.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 06:29 PM
    He's probably amused by the number of melodramatic armchair executives that frequent CrackBerry with Chicken-Little rants.
    Shadowyugi, homer1475 and Jrox74 like this.
    06-22-14 06:35 PM
    I've added some punctuation so that people can understand the good points that you are trying to make.

I totally agree with you. I don't think BlackBerry should drop the keyboard phone, but I think that one is more than enough in the BlackBerry line up. They should only have 3 phones total; two touch screen and one keyboard

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Says someone who lives in North America.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 07:06 PM
692 12345 ...