08-06-15 04:53 AM
692 ... 2021222324 ...
tools
    I agree I'm sorry but this thing is not going to catch on just because it's different. Different does NOT always mean good.

Q10 Posted via CB10
    Agreed. In this technological age, a new item has to be "better" than existing competitors, even more so than "different."
    Karben and pantlesspenguin like this.
    09-09-14 03:15 PM
    Agreed. In this technological age, a new item has to be "better" than existing competitors, even more so than "different."
    Suppose having a keyboard that is also the touch sensitive touch pad isn't innovative?

But hey in other news Apple just invented horizontal viewing. Maybe you guys will be more excited about that.

Posted via CB10
    Karben likes this.
    09-09-14 03:34 PM
    Suppose having a keyboard that is also the touch sensitive touch pad isn't innovative?

But hey in other news Apple just invented horizontal viewing. Maybe you guys will be more excited about that.

Posted via CB10
    You missed one part.

New, yes... but is it conclusively better than the status quo? Not even BBRY users seem to agree on that point.

And the inferiority complex regarding Apple is a bit weird. The same pressures affect Apple, but in any case, what does this have to do with that? LOL.
    09-09-14 03:41 PM
    I think current B10 phones are good but not great.

The camera is poor (no matter how many Mpx, I know 8 Mpxl that are far better), the autonomy can be improved (OK, Z30 is good for this one but it is kind of a phablet), no QI charging... Now, they have advantages others don't have like Miracastn micro-HDMI... So far, the phones are good but not good enough no to look forward a better one.

I had a Z10, it was very good ... except the battery life and absence of Miracast support.
    I now own a Q10 and it is quite good too .. except the double tap issue with keyboard and the autonomy which is OK but not better than any other smartphone (while the screen size should let it be)...

It's the way things go. We are always seeking for better things. I don't really care of proc or RAM as long as the system is fluid enough -and that's the case) but I'm still not completely satisfied with the BB10 I owned for other reasons. Now, it doesn't mean I want an Iphone or other brand phone at all
    This double tap issue really bugs me. BlackBerry should be fixing each and every one.
    09-09-14 04:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes ! I would love to see it on BB devices.
    09-09-14 05:00 PM
    The release date of the passport is actually strategically a good idea. It gives people the chance to get over the apple release and realize that the "improvements" really aren't that great. Then along comes the passport with its great new features

Posted via CB10
    Prem WatsApp and gebco like this.
    09-09-14 05:14 PM
    Not true. We're getting to the point where video games can be technically impressive, but not critically acclaimed. Indie titles (Journey) more lauded than trashy blockbusters (CallofDuty). This has happened in just the last generation of gaming, really. The auteurs aren't getting the budgets. It's becoming more similar to the film industry in that regard. More like an art.

I think as technology progresses, the same can be said of phones, wearables, computers. They're all essentially as competent as one another. So it comes down to preference, and quirkiness can seriously play a part in how successful a device may be. We're almost to that point, and I think the Passport could be pushing that envelope as we speak. Time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    BaffTech and gg22 like this.
    09-13-14 07:28 AM
    Not true. We're getting to the point where video games can be technically impressive, but not critically acclaimed. Indie titles (Journey) more lauded than trashy blockbusters (CallofDuty). This has happened in just the last generation of gaming, really. The auteurs aren't getting the budgets. It's becoming more similar to the film industry in that regard. More like an art.

I think as technology progresses, the same can be said of phones, wearables, computers. They're all essentially as competent as one another. So it comes down to preference, and quirkiness can seriously play a part in how successful a device may be. We're almost to that point, and I think the Passport could be pushing that envelope as we speak. Time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting. Really. That's why (in part) Apple and Android sell millions devices. Because not everybody cares about specs but, for the most part, people care about the ecosystem (app...). And here it is the problem, when people buy phone they aren't asking anymore about technically specification but if their favorite app are in. And salesmen, give them an Android or Apple because "you'll have all the app you want and you could do anything with it". The good thing is BB say that they will promote the Android compatibility and make people knowing about that. That's a good thing.
    Last edited by Karben; 09-13-14 at 06:07 PM.
    09-13-14 11:58 AM
    Interesting. Really. That's why (in part) Apple and Android sell millions devices. Because not everybody cares about specs but, for the most part, people care about the ecosystem (app...). And here it is the problem, when people buy phone they aren't asking anymore about technically specification but if their favorite app are in. And salesmen, give them an Android or Apple because "you'll have all the app you want and you could do anything with it". The good thing is BB say that they will promote the Android compatibility and make people knowing about that. That's a good thing.
    And millions don't give a damn about the "ecosystem ". But if they did they'd just have to actually take a look at what BlackBerry offers and realize these new devices can do anything iphones or androids can do. The old stereotypes of BlackBerry being behind the times just doesn't hold ground anymore. So I guess Chen needs to find a way to make ppl realize that BB10 has everything people want/need

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 10:24 PM
    And millions don't give a damn about the "ecosystem ". But if they did they'd just have to actually take a look at what BlackBerry offers and realize these new devices can do anything iphones or androids can do. The old stereotypes of BlackBerry being behind the times just doesn't hold ground anymore. So I guess Chen needs to find a way to make ppl realize that BB10 has everything people want/need

Posted via CB10
    But, if ecosystem is a factor (and, IMHO, it is), then BB10 does not have what people need.

Ecosystem extends functionality.
    Karben likes this.
    09-14-14 12:47 AM
    But, if ecosystem is a factor (and, IMHO, it is), then BB10 does not have what people need.

Ecosystem extends functionality.
    Well I think that international customers outside of the sphere of the Google Play store could get what they need. Customers who NEED a physical keyboard get what they need also. Enough to sell 10 million units world wide? Maybe.
    CDM76 likes this.
    09-14-14 12:56 AM
    If you already have something people like, why waste it?
    On the other side he is developing BlackBerry in other aspects then just devices.
    CDM76 likes this.
    09-14-14 02:53 AM
    I've been seeing you guys talking about the passport, I finally decided to google it, oh man is this really what it looks like?
    Is anyone really going to use this? It looks like something from the original star trek series, no way to put that in your pocket, I don't mean to offend, and this of course is just my opinion but that is the ugliest phone I have ever seen, eek. My Z30 looks like the future, this looks like a prototype phone from the past....
    You cannot take this at first face value on a quick search. There are several aspects on why this format factor is being used, understanding those will clear things up.

It all makes sense when you actually have a hands on feel with it.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 03:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    No customization, widgets, apps run so much better, google play services, I think androids are easier to use as well. You may not think the ecosystem is everything but guess what it is. I would never have my music library through BlackBerry, all through google for me.

Q10 Posted via CB10
    Karben likes this.
    09-20-14 07:40 AM
    No customization, widgets, apps run so much better, google play services, I think androids are easier to use as well. You may not think the ecosystem is everything but guess what it is. I would never have my music library through BlackBerry, all through google for me.

Q10 Posted via CB10
    No I said many don't need / want an "ecosystem ". Some do, I get that. Personally I have yet to want anything for my phone that I can't get. For me (and yes others like me) BB10 is everything I need/want.

Just because YOU want something different doesn't mean we all have to want the same things you do.

I'm getting really tired of people on this site thinking that their opinion is the only one that matters and that everyone else has to think the exact same way they do.

If you don't like bb10 don't buy one. I don't like ios so I'll never buy one of those, but I won't go onto Apple fan sites and shoot them down and insult them.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    09-20-14 03:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Do you really think BB10 devices can do anything the iPhone and Android devices can do? Really? I don't know about iOS, but I can use my Android devices in landscape mode and I can block all of the ads in apps, videos and the browser. My Android devices also work with the Chromecast, and will pair with my Garmin Fenix for smart notifications and data transfers.

Those are just some of the things that BB10 can't do that my Android devices will do. Some may not care about those things, but I do care about having them and with BB10, I can't do them. I know, I've tried. For me and how I use my mobile devices, BlackBerry is still behind.
    Karben likes this.
    09-20-14 05:55 PM
    Well I think that international customers outside of the sphere of the Google Play store could get what they need. Customers who NEED a physical keyboard get what they need also. Enough to sell 10 million units world wide? Maybe.
    Agreed.

BB10 does have an ecosystem that is sufficient for a good number of people. I consider the physical keyboard to be a major part of that ecosystem.
    CDM76 likes this.
    09-20-14 07:03 PM
    Agreed.

BB10 does have an ecosystem that is sufficient for a good number of people. I consider the physical keyboard to be a major part of that ecosystem.
    What ecosystem are you referring to? In this ecosystem what is there other than BB10 phones?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    09-20-14 07:28 PM
    What ecosystem are you referring to? In this ecosystem what is there other than BB10 phones?

It's thin (IMHO), but I'd consider the pkb devices to be part of the ecosystem. BBW, accessories, etc.
    CDM76 likes this.
    09-20-14 09:02 PM
    What is he playing at with the Passport, He is not a stupid man he is surely a highly intelligent man. But this new device will be the device that finally kills Blackberry. In technology you HAVE to keep moving forward if you stand still and you will be left behind. But if you do what Blackberry are doing and go backwards you go down a route you will not return from. hence why Blackberry has fallen so far behind them. It's easy the Z30 is an awesome phone all they need to do is bring out a updated version of it with the specs that can compete.

It's a sad day as I love using my Z30 and it seems as if it's going to be my last Blackberry I own as when it eventually dies of old age I will be forced to by an Android phone it's a real shame really Blackberry had a really good platform to build on with the Z30 but have decided to turn the complete wrong way. Sometimes different isn't always a good thing, Sometimes things like the Passport haven't been done because there isn't a market for them. If this was brought out when Blackberry first went to do touchscreens then it might have worked as it would be a progression towards touchscreen but to do it now is illogical and a daft thing to do.

R.I.P Blackberry :-(

Stuart
    ..."Physical keyboard are a thing of the past there is a reason why the likes of Samsung and Apple don't use them, you won't see them bringing out a physical keyboard phone as there is only a very small amount of people want them..."...that's because they don't/can't make a physical keyboard such as the likes on the Passport...for me, I like the VK on my Z30...but I can definitely see the appeal of such a capacitive PK on the Passport...especially with its particular form factor...it will be like having a small PC in the palm of your hand...that's one thing that VK devices (slabs) lack...screen real estate when you need to type something out...when the VK pops up...even on a 5" device...you are left with a narrow screen that isn't a lot bigger than a Q10...the Passport has a big tall and wide screen with all the gesture benefits of BlackBerry 10, but also a PK that shares the same benefits of a touch screen device...

Now add in BlackBerry Balance with the new dual line tech that BlackBerry just acquired...and you have one hell of a powerful business tool...

As much as YOU think that a PK is the thing of the past, this phone could very well be the device that brings them back...

I'm a hard-core Z30 user and abuser, but I would be foolish not to at least give this device a fair shake down...and I intend to.

Posted on CB10 via my Z30....
    09-20-14 10:37 PM
    It's horrible to read or talk with fanboys. No matter of what they are fan (Apple, Android, BlackBerry...). Because they are not entirely objective; or even not objective at all. Or a true fan of the brand HAVE TO be more critical to help the brand to improve herself and her products. I hate those who say "it's an awesome product" at ALL new product the brand released. We are all always really enthusiastic. And that's a good thing ! We all do love BB products. But saying that BB make the best devices and, above all, have an ecosystem than can rival with Apple & Android is Not true. If it was the case, BB would have sold millions devices every months. There is a lack of apps. And those who are in the BB, lacks features that already exist for years in iOS/Android. And, the saddest, even the app developed by BlackBerry ! (Twitter for example)
    Apple released the iPhone 7 years ago. We are in the full-touch era. What people buy ? High-end full touch devices. And don't say no, Apple sold 40 MILLIONS device just the first say ! And Samsung is near of that number. But what BB make ? Low-cost full touch device (sold at not so low-cost price), high-end PKB device. If they want to get out of devices business, they can't do better. We have to think out of the box. Why an iPhone user or high-end Android device user will buy a Z3 or Passport, Q10 instead of the iPhone 6 or Galaxy S5 ? Does he want to lose all his favorite app ? Don't get me wrong, I love BlackBerry and that's why I do that.

What's the true strengh of BB ? The #teamBlackBerry. You guys rock. But, please, help them to be better and dare to say what people really want or, at least, what you really want.

Just my two cents, and my poor english. I hope you understand what I want to say.

I know now you will want to kill me... :-/ So, be fast please.

Peace
    09-21-14 04:49 AM
    It's thin (IMHO), but I'd consider the pkb devices to be part of the ecosystem. BBW, accessories, etc.
    Sorry, but no. Keyboards are part of the phone and accessories don't really have much to do with it.

Karben likes this.
    09-21-14 11:15 AM
    ..."Physical keyboard are a thing of the past there is a reason why the likes of Samsung and Apple don't use them, you won't see them bringing out a physical keyboard phone as there is only a very small amount of people want them..."...that's because they don't/can't make a physical keyboard such as the likes on the Passport...for me, I like the VK on my Z30...but I can definitely see the appeal of such a capacitive PK on the Passport...especially with its particular form factor...it will be like having a small PC in the palm of your hand...that's one thing that VK devices (slabs) lack...screen real estate when you need to type something out...when the VK pops up...even on a 5" device...you are left with a narrow screen that isn't a lot bigger than a Q10...the Passport has a big tall and wide screen with all the gesture benefits of BlackBerry 10, but also a PK that shares the same benefits of a touch screen device...

Now add in BlackBerry Balance with the new dual line tech that BlackBerry just acquired...and you have one hell of a powerful business tool...

As much as YOU think that a PK is the thing of the past, this phone could very well be the device that brings them back...

I'm a hard-core Z30 user and abuser, but I would be foolish not to at least give this device a fair shake down...and I intend to.

Posted on CB10 via my Z30....
    It will flop, if it was portable it might have had a chance, you said small pc what part of that thing is small. The thing is in practical, ugly and won't bring new people to BlackBerry because why would anyone with for example a samsung galaxy s5 want to have the passport rather than waiting for the S6

Posted via CB10
    Karben likes this.
    09-21-14 01:58 PM
    It's horrible to read or talk with fanboys. No matter of what they are fan (Apple, Android, BlackBerry...). Because they are not entirely objective; or even not objective at all. Or a true fan of the brand HAVE TO be more critical to help the brand to improve herself and her products. I hate those who say "it's an awesome product" at ALL new product the brand released. We are all always really enthusiastic. And that's a good thing ! We all do love BB products. But saying that BB make the best devices and, above all, have an ecosystem than can rival with Apple & Android is Not true. If it was the case, BB would have sold millions devices every months. There is a lack of apps. And those who are in the BB, lacks features that already exist for years in iOS/Android. And, the saddest, even the app developed by BlackBerry ! (Twitter for example)
    Apple released the iPhone 7 years ago. We are in the full-touch era. What people buy ? High-end full touch devices. And don't say no, Apple sold 40 MILLIONS device just the first say ! And Samsung is near of that number. But what BB make ? Low-cost full touch device (sold at not so low-cost price), high-end PKB device. If they want to get out of devices business, they can't do better. We have to think out of the box. Why an iPhone user or high-end Android device user will buy a Z3 or Passport, Q10 instead of the iPhone 6 or Galaxy S5 ? Does he want to lose all his favorite app ? Don't get me wrong, I love BlackBerry and that's why I do that.

What's the true strengh of BB ? The #teamBlackBerry. You guys rock. But, please, help them to be better and dare to say what people really want or, at least, what you really want.

Just my two cents, and my poor english. I hope you understand what I want to say.

I know now you will want to kill me... :-/ So, be fast please.

Peace
    So you just TOTALLY ignore the Z30 I see. The Z30 is a high end all touch with awesome reviews from all. You are just as bad as some "journalists " at the apple/android fan sites.

And there are numerous reasons BlackBerry has not been selling, not just the app thing. Many large companies block the device from accessing certain apps (Facebook, Twitter, instagram, etc) as is a WORK phone. Many government policies dictate that user can not download ANY apps without IT approval.

Also, many large companies and govs have in house apps that will allow the user to do what the company /gov needs done. And these are not on BlackBerry World. Nor do they have ANYTHING to do with the "app gap".

Think outside the box and stop thinking of your own self centered needs.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 02:48 PM
    So you just TOTALLY ignore the Z30 I see. The Z30 is a high end all touch with awesome reviews from all. You are just as bad as some "journalists " at the apple/android fan sites.
    High-end compared to what though? Other BlackBerry devices?

Back in 2012, I had the HTC Droid DNA, that Android smartphone either beats or matches the much newer Z30 in every single hardware spec category there is except for battery size and the FM radio.

Look for yourself:
    HTC DROID DNA vs. BlackBerry Z30 - GSMArena.com

Both phones have the same amount of RAM and the same exact screen size, but the Droid DNA has a Quad core processor and a 1080p display. So how is the Z30 higher end than my phone from 2012? Maybe you're using "high-end" to describe something other than hardware.

You are right about the reviews though. The Z30 was bought almost exclusively by BlackBerry fans. Not surprisingly, BlackBerry faithfull give BlackBerry products positive reviews.
    09-21-14 03:07 PM
692 ... 2021222324 ...