08-06-15 04:53 AM
692 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    The problem with the Passport isn't the hardware keyboard; it's that BlackBerry gimped the hardware keyboard and put all the numbers and symbols on a on-screen keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Tim Heard likes this.
    07-02-14 04:54 AM
    The problem with the Passport isn't the hardware keyboard; it's that BlackBerry gimped the hardware keyboard and put all the numbers and symbols on a on-screen keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Please tell us more about your real life hands on experience with the Passport; I'm curious to hear from one who apparently touched and used the device why he concluded that the implementation of the keyboard is a problem.
    07-02-14 08:43 AM
    Please tell us more about your real life hands on experience with the Passport; I'm curious to hear from one who apparently touched and used the device why he concluded that the implementation of the keyboard is a problem.
    I'm guessing he is using his eyes. Maybe if you did then you'd notice that on a full touchscreen when you want number or symbol you just tap the virtual button and the whole keyboard changes from letters to symbols and numbers the keyboard doesn't get any bigger. Whereas that obviously doesn't happen on the passport so it makes an already smaller screen even smaller. To be honest it's not something that you need hands on experience for you just need a small amount of common sense.
    07-02-14 09:43 AM
    That is a screenshot of my Q10 having pressed the sym button... wait, I can actually hit on the phk and it is mapping on the touchscreen where the symbols are in each phk button... (also possible to hit the virtual key).

Maybe, just maybe, we should not be so much 'in a hurry to judge how the passport will work...

What is Chen thinking??-img_20140702_200638.png

Posted via CB10
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    07-02-14 12:09 PM
    What I think will be great about this device is that the number keys will remain on the screen if you choose and you have access to the letter keys and numbers all at once. That can't be done on any of the phones to date if I am correct. The argument about time it takes to press alt is really not an valid now.

Posted via CB10
    Timbosaurus likes this.
    07-02-14 12:15 PM
    I'm guessing he is using his eyes. Maybe if you did then you'd notice that on a full touchscreen when you want number or symbol you just tap the virtual button and the whole keyboard changes from letters to symbols and numbers the keyboard doesn't get any bigger. Whereas that obviously doesn't happen on the passport so it makes an already smaller screen even smaller. To be honest it's not something that you need hands on experience for you just need a small amount of common sense.
    Criticizing the Passport concept = good guy.
    Liking the Passport concept = bad guy.
    Refusing to criticize Passport concept because of not available yet = bad guy too.

Your pattern for posting here.
    Just for you to remember, and to not erroneously accepting or respecting a different or neutral opinion. Heaven forbid!
    Timbosaurus likes this.
    07-02-14 01:21 PM
    Everyone was criticising it when it leaked out remember. The main comment on it then was it's obviously fake as BlackBerry won't do a phone that ugly. BlackBerry brings it out looks identical apart from a silver edge. Some people seem to think it's now awesome and are forcing themselves to think it looks different when it doesn't.

At least the people that can see it's ugly and won't sell are being consistent and can see the wood from the trees.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 02:06 PM
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the keyboard will work one of two possible ways. It will either require the user to do some sort of gesture on the touch sensitive keyboard to bring up numbers and symbols on-screen and then click the corresponding hardware keyboard key to choose the number/symbol that you want, which will make typing numbers a nightmare on anything but a designated numbers only text field; or the on-screen keyboard will be persistent when focused on any typing field and we'll have to touch the screen to type numbers and symbols which completely negates having a beautiful big screen in the first place for anything but media consumption. The latter is the most likely of scenarios and also will create a jarring effect by having to switch from hardware keyboard to on-screen keyboard in a back and forth dance.

Everyone was criticising it when it leaked out remember. The main comment on it then was it's obviously fake as BlackBerry won't do a phone that ugly. BlackBerry brings it out looks identical apart from a silver edge. Some people seem to think it's now awesome and are forcing themselves to think it looks different when it doesn't.

At least the people that can see it's ugly and won't sell are being consistent and can see the wood from the trees.

Posted via CB10
    I've noticed this too. The BlackBerry fanboi effect.

Posted via CB10
    blackspeed likes this.
    07-02-14 03:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    Posting pattern extended:

calls Passport ugly = good guy
    calls Passport beautiful = bad guy, fanboy, or both

Sorry, but as long as there are people around who SERIOUSLY believe that a new phone, its final looks, usability and performance can be assessed by looking at 5 leaked pictures, and that there is not the shadow of a doubt about what they "found" by looking at these pictures being the ultimate truth, there is only one way of how to deal with that: humour and sarcasm.
    07-02-14 04:08 PM
    Posting pattern extended:

calls Passport ugly = good guy
    calls Passport beautiful = bad guy, fanboy, or both

Sorry, but as long as there are people around who SERIOUSLY believe that a new phone, its final looks, usability and performance can be assessed by looking at 5 leaked pictures, and that there is not the shadow of a doubt about what they "found" by looking at these pictures being the ultimate truth, there is only one way of how to deal with that: humour and sarcasm.
    But they aren't leaked photos no more are they, they are the actually things I'm on about. the leaked photos that every one called horrible too big, too square looking and too many sharp edges and followed by hoping that's not the real thing. look at then and then look at the Revealed photos you know the ones where Chen is holding it whilst talking about it. The only difference between then is silver edging But you keep telling yourself and everyone it's not the finished phone. If you say it enough times it might come true. Just leave the ones that aren't looking through rose tinted specs to actually see the Passport for what it is Ugly

Lets face it why would anyone buy the Passport instead of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. the only ones that will are the as the other poster said (not me so don't go putting words in my mouth again) Blackberry Fanboys and as they are a dying breed so it's not without reason to say it's goion to flop, but sadly this Blackberry flop might well take the company down with it
    07-02-14 04:36 PM
    Samsung phones are like any other phones. That is why I am not interested. IPhone design never changes much so boring. Why do people like the Honda Element or other vehicles that come out as different. Look at the mx-5 Mazda. I am not a fan of the looks but it's sells very well.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 06:31 PM
    What was so smart about last guy we had? Not being sarcastic here, but just want to know. Yes he did bring us the Z10 and the Z30 but I can not think of much more creditability other then that
    He did what was needed at the time. Cleaned up the mess from the co CEOs and got bb10 finished and released. Oh and started the foxcon negotiations.

With that said he wasn't bad but wasent good.
    I like Chen because he is making a lot of change and quick to decide and implement his ideas
    07-02-14 10:49 PM
    What is he playing at with the Passport, He is not a stupid man he is surely a highly intelligent man. But this new device will be the device that finally kills Blackberry. In technology you HAVE to keep moving forward if you stand still and you will be left behind. But if you do what Blackberry are doing and go backwards you go down a route you will not return from. Physical keyboard are a thing of the past there is a reason why the likes of Samsung and Apple don't use them, you won't see them bringing out a physical keyboard phone as there is only a very small amount of people want them hence why Blackberry has fallen so far behind them. It's easy the Z30 is an awesome phone all they need to do is bring out a updated version of it with the specs that can compete.

It's a sad day as I love using my Z30 and it seems as if it's going to be my last Blackberry I own as when it eventually dies of old age I will be forced to by an Android phone it's a real shame really Blackberry had a really good platform to build on with the Z30 but have decided to turn the complete wrong way. Sometimes different isn't always a good thing, Sometimes things like the Passport haven't been done because there isn't a market for them. If this was brought out when Blackberry first went to do touchscreens then it might have worked as it would be a progression towards touchscreen but to do it now is illogical and a daft thing to do.

R.I.P Blackberry :-(

Stuart
    Hope you like eating your words. With a little ketchup they might taste okay.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    07-03-14 01:34 AM
    Hope you like eating your words. With a little ketchup they might taste okay.

If I'm wrong I'll eat my words with ketchup, brown sauce and chilli sauce, but let's be realistic here only the BlackBerry diehard loyalists will be buying it, no one other then them will choose the Passport over the Samsung Note 3, and to be honest why would you the Note 3 has a bigger screen even when the virtual keyboard is on, it's got more rounded sides so fits better in the hand, is considerably better looking and comes with a stylus.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 04:23 AM
    If I'm wrong I'll eat my words with ketchup, brown sauce and chilli sauce, but let's be realistic here only the BlackBerry diehard loyalists will be buying it, no one other then them will choose the Passport over the Samsung Note 3, and to be honest why would you the Note 3 has a bigger screen even when the virtual keyboard is on, it's got more rounded sides so fits better in the hand, is considerably better looking and comes with a stylus.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. Only the BlackBerry faithful will want a device with that large a footprint but such a small screen.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    07-03-14 05:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe some blackberry sauce on top with whip cream. Has nothing to do with the note and people want something different look at the brand new Samsung or even the htc all the specs good looking but the glitz wore off after about 3 weeks. The brick phones don't sell.even the new kindle fire with 3d their is no wow factor with any of them. Its more then just blackberry faithful noticing over 300 articles already by the press on a phone that is 2 months away. If it was just blackberry people noticing it would be more like the z30 press which lasted about 1 week after launch and that was it. I guess we wait and see.

07-03-14 06:39 AM
    Maybe some blackberry sauce on top with whip cream. Has nothing to do with the note and people want something different look at the brand new Samsung or even the htc all the specs good looking but the glitz wore off after about 3 weeks. The brick phones don't sell.even the new kindle fire with 3d their is no wow factor with any of them. Its more then just blackberry faithful noticing over 300 articles already by the press on a phone that is 2 months away. If it was just blackberry people noticing it would be more like the z30 press which lasted about 1 week after launch and that was it. I guess we wait and see.

Brick phones don't sell don't make me laugh they sell a hell of a lot more than BlackBerry do and will with the passport. Also if all the high specs and glitz wore off fast for the Samsung, HTC and amazon fire after 3 weeks how long will it take for a phone as ugly as the passport?

It's got everything to do with the Samsung Note 3, the Passport is being marketed as a phablet which is what the Note is so they are direct competitors. Well I say competitors let's be honest there won't be much competition the Note will win easily.

Oh about the articles about the passport have you read the comments posted on all those articles not many positive comments. What's the point in everyone talking about the BlackBerry passport when over 90% of the comments are negative.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 08:12 AM
    @stuart445

Just making sure, but you DO understand that BlackBerry will be releasing at least 1 very nice slab phone that will be to your liking in early 2015, right?

Also, more importantly, BlackBerry is aggressively pursuing a diversified business strategy now which includes software and service, in addition to phones. Phones will be a piece of the puzzle, but the company no longer has to rely 100% on phone sales to survive. They still have almost a total lock on all government business with respect to device sales, and have a very strong presence still when it comes to large enterprise businesses, and businesses in which information security is critical, such as law firms and many consulting firms, which is why releasing the Classic phone was important.

Having said that, they are involved in other ventures in which the prospects of creating significant revenue are very promising. For example, they have a very solid presence in the auto industry, and recently signed a nice deal with Ford, who gave Microsoft the boot. They also have a enterprise security product which will make money off of the fact that people use so many other types of phones now. Anyone who knows anything about information security understands that this is a critical security area that is not adequately addressed in most cases. Companies can face huge losses for a variety of reasons as a result of data breaches. ... Then there's their medical venture, and their entry into the "Internet of Things" market. (Which admittedly, I don't even have any idea what the revenue potential is, or what their strategy is, with respect to IoT.)

On top of all that, they are completely debt free, and still sitting on somewhere near **THREE BILLION DOLLARS** in cash reserves.

I can certainly understand how a year ago, some people were claiming that BlackBerry was doomed. The leadership was doing a poor job of marketing the things they were doing, and seemed to lack a clear sense of vision and urgency. However, I have a really hard time understanding how anyone could be claiming that BlackBerry is doomed now. Even if all they did from now on was sell QWERTY phones to businesses, and cheap BB10 phones to developing counties (which clearly is not their plan) they would be just fine, because the mobile device division is just one part of a larger overall strategy.

So, as I think about it, the only way anyone could be saying "this is my last BlackBerry phone" is if they know they have a terminal disease, or they have just decided they want to go with another brand. (Which is perfectly fine.) BlackBerry phones are likely to be around for a long time to come.
    07-03-14 09:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for making me aware of the stylus. Will seriously consider a Note 3 now.
    07-03-14 10:12 AM
    @stuart445

Just making sure, but you DO understand that BlackBerry will be releasing at least 1 very nice slab phone that will be to your liking in early 2015, right?

Also, more importantly, BlackBerry is aggressively pursuing a diversified business strategy now which includes software and service, in addition to phones. Phones will be a piece of the puzzle, but the company no longer has to rely 100% on phone sales to survive. They still have almost a total lock on all government business with respect to device sales, and have a very strong presence still when it comes to large enterprise businesses, and businesses in which information security is critical, such as law firms and many consulting firms, which is why releasing the Classic phone was important.

Having said that, they are involved in other ventures in which the prospects of creating significant revenue are very promising. For example, they have a very solid presence in the auto industry, and recently signed a nice deal with Ford, who gave Microsoft the boot. They also have a enterprise security product which will make money off of the fact that people use so many other types of phones now. Anyone who knows anything about information security understands that this is a critical security area that is not adequately addressed in most cases. Companies can face huge losses for a variety of reasons as a result of data breaches. ... Then there's their medical venture, and their entry into the "Internet of Things" market. (Which admittedly, I don't even have any idea what the revenue potential is, or what their strategy is, with respect to IoT.)

On top of all that, they are completely debt free, and still sitting on somewhere near **THREE BILLION DOLLARS** in cash reserves.

I can certainly understand how a year ago, some people were claiming that BlackBerry was doomed. The leadership was doing a poor job of marketing the things they were doing, and seemed to lack a clear sense of vision and urgency. However, I have a really hard time understanding how anyone could be claiming that BlackBerry is doomed now. Even if all they did from now on was sell QWERTY phones to businesses, and cheap BB10 phones to developing counties (which clearly is not their plan) they would be just fine, because the mobile device division is just one part of a larger overall strategy.

So, as I think about it, the only way anyone could be saying "this is my last BlackBerry phone" is if they know they have a terminal disease, or they have just decided they want to go with another brand. (Which is perfectly fine.) BlackBerry phones are likely to be around for a long time to come.
    All I've heard is rumours about BlackBerry bringing out an high end all touch screen, which could still turn out to be a 4G version of the Z3.

I'm not complaining about the Classic as it is quite a nice looking phone, it's just there is no need for two physical keyboard phones. Also the Passport looks like the designers have given up. I think I read somewhere that BlackBerry had made some designers redundant so there could be truth in that.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 10:19 AM
    Do things need to be curvy to be sexy? Many architects and artists for example use straight lines to make statements. I for one would like to see some small curvature at the corners for better feel in the hands. However I am not sure it would make the device look better.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 10:26 AM
    Do things need to be curvy to be sexy? Many architects and artists for example use straight lines to make statements. I for one would like to see some small curvature at the corners for better feel in the hands. However I am not sure it would make the device look better.

Posted via CB10
    You are right due to the shape of the passport no matter how much curves you have it'll still be ugly. Just might have made it easier to have in the hand. One positive though it won't be stolen by a pick pocket as once in your pocket I doubt anyone will be able to get it out again.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 10:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    The same applies to women. Square is much better. I can't stand those women with curves. It's all about the right angles.

Cars too. That's why Aston Martin are so unsuccessful. Great specs but ugly with all those curves. When is Aston going to figure out people want boxes?

Last edited by crazigee; 07-03-14 at 12:55 PM.
    07-03-14 12:39 PM
    The same applies to women. Square is much better. I can't stand those women with curves. It's all about the right angles.

Cars too. That's why Aston Martin are so unsuccessful. Great specs but ugly with all those curves. When is Aston going to figure out people want boxes?

Really? Ugly? Really? Aston Martin do the most beautiful cars in the world, only Alfa Romeos are better looking. Maybe the fact that Aston Martin makes cars that are good at cornering scares you Americans. After that comment I'm not surprised you think the Passport is good looking, you probably think Rihanna, Beyonc and Shakira are all ugly.
    07-03-14 01:20 PM

What a ridiculous argument.. comparing the beauty of the female body to an electronic device. Talk about comparing apples to oranges.

You must have some kinky nights in ur moms basement with your phone.. no porn needed

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 02:35 PM
692 ... 1718192021 ...