08-06-15 05:53 AM
692 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    *Grabs popcorn* Go on guys. Continue. Human may extinct if you both didn't solve the problem.

Posted via My Awesome Z10 | Follow me on Twitter @angelesrobby
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-25-14 07:40 AM
    Where are you getting your info about it being top heavy? Seriously, because I'm considering getting one, and don't expect that they'll be available to hold and check out in AT&T stores.
    I've never cared about one-handed typing, so that's not an issue for me. I don't think many QWERTY users care about that.

I agree with the OP. . I am a long suffering blackberry fan. The passport has an amazing physical keyboard, great specs, is too wide for one handed typing, and is too top heavy for any typing. Oh, and it is burdened with the worst app ecosystem on the planet. This is the reward for long suffering support? This is what will bring new people to blackberry? . I don't think so.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    currentodysseys likes this.
    06-25-14 08:07 AM
    high end = high end touchscreen the one that will bet the best bet at bringing more customers to Blackberry, It's simple really the more customers Blackberry can get the more chance of them stating afloat
    So....you're answer to what is a "high end" phone is that it has a "high end" touch screen? What....exactly......is a "high end" touch screen"? Does Apple have a "high end' touch screen? Because people seem to buy their touch screen....no matter how small it is. Please describe a "high end" touch screen. I guessing that when you touch it.....it, um.....responds somehow?

, It's simple really the more customers Blackberry can get the more chance of them stating afloat
    Which is EXACTLY why they are coming out with more phones, more options, especially phones that are right where their loyalists and their strengths both lie. Why can't you accept this basic business principle.?
    06-25-14 08:11 AM
    I agree with the OP. . I am a long suffering blackberry fan. The passport has an amazing physical keyboard, great specs, is too wide for one handed typing, and is too top heavy for any typing. Oh, and it is burdened with the worst app ecosystem on the planet. This is the reward for long suffering support? This is what will bring new people to blackberry? . I don't think so.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Google play store combined with BB World together make the the worst app ecosystem on the planet? You should call Microsoft and let them know so they can feel better.

How do you know it's too top heavy if you've not actually held it? You've not heard any reviews on it, nor seen anyone try to use it. And it appears to be shorter, not longer, than many other phones including the Z30. Personally it looks a little odd to me but it is intriguing. It certainly isn't for teenagers and posers who only care about looking cool, its about people who are looking for a phone to help them work, not accessorize their shoes.

Also, just curious why you think it's supposed to bring lots of "new" people to BlackBerry? Perhaps many will decide to stay, some will return. I'm pretty sure they weren't going for the Apple-kiddies.
    06-25-14 08:17 AM
    I agree with you about the aesthetics. I would prefer if the Passport had rounded corners. Having said that, I'm primarily interested in the Passport because it has a physical QWERTY keyboard, and because it has a larger screen than other phones with physical keyboards. That's it. That's why.

If I wanted a nice big slab phone, there are plenty of good ones. I'd likely go for a Windows phone, rather than an Android phone, but there are plenty of good options.

So, I'm someone, which I think answers the question f why *anyone* would prefer the Passport. I can only speak for myself. Based on many other posts though, there are plenty of other "someones" who at least have a strong interest in purchasing the Passport.

you might need to learn Sarcasm Shadowyugi.

No I don't always think I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong and i'll admit it when I am, but the Passport it's just obvious, why would anyone have that instead of the Samsung Note which looks nicer on the eye, is more rounded so sits better in the hand, has a bigger screen and the virtual keyboard is bigger than that so will be easier to use.
    06-25-14 08:17 AM
    so other than healthcare what is who is it's market. the Legacy pkb lovers which is a shrinking market?
    The legacy pkb market was shrinking because of the legacy part....not so much the pkb. People have slowly been weaning away from legacy since their only new pkb option was the q10 and they perhaps weren't thrilled with BB10. If people CHOOSE a PKB before, when they could just as easily have chosen a touch screen device ever since 2008, then perhaps they LIKE pkb, but were eventually forced to sacrifice it to get something else, or are about to. You keep diluting these two factors together.

how about the fast growing full touchscreen market, who carry around the neat good looking phones.
    Ah......you just revealed your tell. You believe that the only factor people care about is a "neat good looking phone". You believe that because the Passport looks different than every single other rectangular piece of glass that it can't possibly have any audience.

why would they go from that to the passport which is just a gimmick?
    How is it "just a gimmick"? It has a specific reason for existence....just as all pkb's do. You want to talk about gimmicks.....go look at one of those "high end" (still waiting for you to define that) phones from Samsung that can do stuff if you wave your hand over it. (you don't even have to say abracadabra).

Or....how about a phone that you can custom order in certain colors? Gimmick.

The passport......while certainly odd looking......is not a gimmick: it's specifically designed to fill a gap in the market. If you show up late to the party and all the good spots are taken.....you look for what is open. That's what Chen is doing. Any undergrad business student can see this.
    06-25-14 08:32 AM
    Won't hurt my ego at all,
    1) If it does [sell] it'll just prove people are like magpies, when the photos was leaked the other week everyone was saying I hope it's not that huge, I hope it's not that ugly I hope the finished design isn't like that and that's just a test device. In fact people we eventually convince it was a fake. Couple of weeks it's revealed and it's the same phone but with silver edging and its wow that's amazing.
    My gosh, I hope you don't work in any type of scientific or engineering or even legal based job, because your methods fact collecting and forming of conclusions is deeply flawed and amateurish at best. Your logic is that you read some random posts on who knows what web sites, and then later read some OTHER random posts that didn't necessarily match the first posts, and that because of this...... people are "like magpies".

Did it possibly occur to you that those weren't the exact same people?

2) The only people that are talking positively about it are on this forum everywhere else it's taking a hammering so it's Highly unlikely to sell to anyone that isn't a Blackberry loyalist which I consider myself one but even my loyalty has it's limits.
    Ah, yes, more scientific research. You've carefully scoured the very reliable internet blog pages for scientific data that will prove how a phone will sell months from now, even though there's only been a few days elapsed since it's fuzzy still-photo debut in the underground phone media.

Duly noted that you....as a Blackberry loyalist....have your limits and you won't be buying a Passport. Someone please alert BlackBerry so they may use this when conducting their manufacturing run. Maybe, while your at it, you could let us know other things you don't like so we can tell those companies that those products are doomed too.
    Shadowyugi and trwallace like this.
    06-25-14 08:49 AM
    you are in the minority and for the 70 Million people still on BB7 devices probably all disagree with you. BB future is keyboards and Chen knows it. The proof is in the user base of bb7.

My advice. Just enjoy your z30 until it dies and move on. let us BB users get what we want and dont let the door you know what on your way out.
    Wow. Really? These are just opinions.....nothing more or less. Time and sales will be the ultimate judge. But, IDK about the future for BlackBerry being in keyboard devices and I'm one of the 70 million and my 12th personal BlackBerry. I think whatever pending BlackBerry devices that are coming out needs to have a broader appeal to consumers. I don't believe that focusing on business, focusing on others outside the US, or not trying to offer something appealing to the carriers will take BlackBerry back to the glory days of years past. No this is not a strategy on the books and not accusing Chen or anyone else. But, definitely needs to be considered based on mistakes from the recent past. Everything, IMHO, is based on perceptions as to why ppl still want or should consider another or a new BlackBerry........which leads to more/less sales.

Yep: .700 & 3rd Party Apps....no. 296 .bars. Disclaimer: Works for "me".
    06-25-14 08:50 AM
    1 I think whatever pending BlackBerry devices that are coming out needs to have a broader appeal to consumers.
    And what will give it a broader appeal? A full touch screen? Nearly all Android apps? A great battery? A huge screen?

I don't believe that focusing on business, focusing on others outside the US, or not trying to offer something appealing to the carriers will take BlackBerry back to the glory days of years past. No this is not a strategy on the books and not accusing Chen or anyone else. But, definitely needs to be considered based on mistakes from the recent past.
    I think their biggest mistake was responding way too slowly to make a phone that looked and acted like all the others. The problem is that they eventually did make a phone that looks and acts like all the others....but didn't bother to actually wave the flags high to say they did it, but beyond that their phone just was not ready for prime time and didn't have apps. DOA.

So, Chen has gone back to the drawing board and is slowly coming back out of hibernation with things that will give them some sort of new identity...and more important....cash flow.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-25-14 09:19 AM
    And what will give it a broader appeal? A full touch screen? Nearly all Android apps? A great battery? A huge screen?
    That's what will need to be answered by Chen and the R&D team. What I do know that BlackBerry can't move forward and keep the doors open without keeping all options open when it comes to giving consumers what they want vs. what may or may not sell. LOL, also, not everyone wants a full touch screen, Android apps on their Blackberry, actually stress about the battery life when they have a charger, or a huge screen when they've gone from a 9900 to a Q10. I do care about all of those with the exception of screen size. I'll have to wait until I get my hands on the Phablet to actually praise or criticize.

I think their biggest mistake was responding way too slowly to make a phone that looked and acted like all the others. The problem is that they eventually did make a phone that looks and acts like all the others....but didn't bother to actually wave the flags high to say they did it, but beyond that their phone just was not ready for prime time and didn't have apps. DOA.

So, Chen has gone back to the drawing board and is slowly coming back out of hibernation with things that will give them some sort of new identity...and more important....cash flow.
    Agreed. First, I want BlackBerry to not only sell a lot of devices, but, I want them to become/remain relevant (depends on ones' point-of-view) in the vast market of SmartPhones. I'm still concerned since last year I bought out all the BlackBerries with the purchase of my Z10.....while my carrier reps were still trying to sell me another SGlll or another iPhone instead of what I requested. IMO, there is still a lot of work to be done....even with a little MO(momentum) from the earnings report. Again, longtime BlackBerry supporter/owner/user at all levels- work, personal and small business(s).
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-25-14 10:38 AM
    Keyboards are what differentiate BlackBerry from the rivals. Sure it may be a small niche market, but at this point blackberry is a niche player. I say he's doing the right thing. He's getting the keyboard products up to spec. Then if they like they work mandated BlackBerry phones they may consider the Z30 or its eventual successor as their personal phone.

Posted via CB10

Agreed.

The reason Apple and Android phones aren't going the qwerty way is because they can't compete with the BB keyboard. It is the best, hands down, bottom line.

I'm not saying that the qwerty is the way to go, as clearly the majority of the world has spoken and they want a touchscreen phone, but there is a niche. That said, BRING THE NOISE! Make the Manitoba or Z50 or What ever they are going to call it, the best it can be and see who ends up where.

BB needs to quit almost making a phone that has has an outstanding spec. sheet. Delivery... wow. fail... Get the flagship out first, while the specs. are still relevant, then dumb the phone down later in the year as the runner up. BB has been doing it backwards for quite a while now.

... and yes, I am BB user. I like my Z30, great phone.
    Last edited by rigwrecker; 06-25-14 at 12:08 PM.
    Shadowyugi and kbz1960 like this.
    06-25-14 11:29 AM
    Maybe the reason most people went full touch is that they wanted a big screen and not that they hated a physical keyboard.

The passport gives you both without sacrificing for one for the other. I've never had a physical keyboard phone but not because I hated the physical keyboard at all but because it was to much of a trade off that the screen was smaller.

The passport solves this and I will definitely be getting one as it's pretty much a laptop in your pocket.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 12:15 PM
    Attachment 279798

This is what business people were willing to carry as a phone back then while every hip people were carrying motorola razr flip phone and so on ... And you gonna tell me that the passport, looking light years away from that, that can take pictures, high res videos and compete spec for specs with a 2 year old desktop cpu won,t be able to sell in the corporate world ? I'd bet me my money on Chen, guy has made his research on BlackBerry history before making those decisions. I'm getting a passport as soon as thing thing comes out out of the gates !!!
    Because back then, the choice was a flip phone and a Palm, or a single device that combined the 2 AND allowed email.

Today, every device does that.
    06-25-14 01:18 PM
    Maybe the reason most people went full touch is that they wanted a big screen and not that they hated a physical keyboard.
    Absolutely. About 80%of the phone users that I know felt that way (with the exception of kids & juveniles who never knew KB phones).

The passport gives you both without sacrificing for one for the other. I've never had a physical keyboard phone but not because I hated the physical keyboard at all but because it was to much of a trade off that the screen was smaller.
    I would even go further than that and say there never ever was such a phone that gave both, without being too big or too heavy or too thick. So it will be interesting to see if and how the market accepts such a truly innovative product.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-25-14 01:36 PM
    People could just easily switch to another platform should they not find current or future offerings satisfying.

I'd rather see the company do its best to differentiate itself than to do poorly on trying to compete in the all-touch segment. Currently using a Z10 but the classic and passport as shown by JC got me interested in getting one or both. I think the Passport has a better chance to make the company relevant again than any high end blackberry all touch device.

The company has stated time and again that they are focusing on the enterprise segment so I'm not putting my hopes up for a release on a high end all touch soon as that isn't the priority.

Truly a company can't please everybody.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 08:14 PM
  16. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I am so impressed with BlackBerry ceo Chen... his vision and his execution... on the enterprise side and the consumer side...

Can't wait for Passport!!! And enhancements to BBM, etc....

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-26-14 12:00 AM
    Because back then, the choice was a flip phone and a Palm, or a single device that combined the 2 AND allowed email.

Today, every device does that.
    Absolutely right. That's why so many companies are moving away from BlackBerry. Despite the better security BlackBerry offers so many are moving to the iPhone because their employees don't want two phones. They want one touch device.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-26-14 11:28 AM
    BB forever. Will not take an iPhone if it was given to me.

See attached link for screen shot of symbols on Passport
    BlackBerry Passport Contextual Keyboard Screenshots Surface
    06-26-14 11:51 AM
    BB forever. Will not take an iPhone if it was given to me.

See attached link for screen shot of symbols on Passport
    BlackBerry Passport Contextual Keyboard Screenshots Surface
    I'm not a fan of the iPhone either, but BlackBerry can't afford to keep dismissing it. That's why they're in their current predicament.

06-26-14 11:54 AM
    I'm not a fan of the iPhone either, but BlackBerry can't afford to keep dismissing it. That's why they're in their current predicament.

Is BlackBerry dismissing the iPhone? Still?
    06-26-14 05:13 PM
    Is BlackBerry dismissing the iPhone? Still?
    I tend to think so. The fact that they are "emphasizing" keyboards is one thing.

The other important thing is reading the posts here on CB. Apparently the only reason people are buying the iPhone is that they are uneducated and brainwashed. That to me is dismissing the iPhone.

06-26-14 06:14 PM
    I tend to think so. The fact that they are "emphasizing" keyboards is one thing.

When you say "emphasizing", you mean making the phone they're famous for that their loyalists love?

And, how does making a keyboard phone mean you are dismissing Iphone? They also make non-keyboard phones.

The other important thing is reading the posts here on CB. Apparently the only reason people are buying the iPhone is that they are uneducated and brainwashed. That to me is dismissing the iPhone.

So.......you're changing the subject? What does this hyperbolic statement about web posters have to do with BlackBerry (the company) "dismissing" iphone?
    Last edited by redlightblinking; 06-26-14 at 10:51 PM.
    06-26-14 07:05 PM
    You are entitled to your opinion, which is why he's CEO and you are not.

Z10 on Telus
    LOL, nicely put

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 07:08 PM
    When you say "emphasizing", you mean making the phone they're famous for that their loyalists love?

And, how does making a keyboard phone mean you are dismissing Iphone? They also make non-touch screen phones.

Exactly my point. They are emphasizing a phone that only their loyalists love, and that has very nearly killed the company. They've failed to understand the importance of the touch devices.

So.......you're changing the subject? What does this hyperbolic statement about web posters have to do with BlackBerry (the company) "dismissing" iphone?
    I'm not changing the topic at all. Nor is my statement hyperbolic. The views of people on this forum correlate to those of the company. Both are dismissive of the iPhone as an inferior device. Instead of learning from Apple's success, BlackBerry and its fanaticals simply dismiss the iPhone as only being a success due to marketing.

06-26-14 08:23 PM
    I'm not changing the topic at all.

You changed it from BlackBerry (dismissing iPhone) to stuff you've read people on the internet write about iphones.

Nor is my statement hyperbolic.

hyperbole noun \hī-ˈpər-bə-(ˌ)lē\
    : language that describes something as better or worse than it really is

You said that "Apparently the only reason people are buying the iPhone is that they are uneducated and brainwashed". That's not an exaggeration?
    Both are dismissive of the iPhone as an inferior device.

You still haven't answered my question about how BlackBerry is dismissive of iPhone today, other than they make keyboard phones. Which apparently means they dismissed iPhone before it even existed.

Instead of learning from Apple's success, BlackBerry and its fanaticals simply dismiss the iPhone as only being a success due to marketing.

How is that dismissing it? That's acknowledging it. Apple is the best marketing company in the history of consumer electronics. Even though their device is actually inferior in many ways to other options available, they've created an image....and even created a market where none existed before when BlackBerry's were only in the hands of business people and celebrities.

But, please, how does BlackBerry , not some fanatics, dismiss iPhone? Why do you keep avoiding that question?
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-26-14 08:39 PM
692 ... 1314151617 ...