08-06-15 05:53 AM
692 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    Agree completely up to the part about the Passport being a game changer. Even if people warm up to the keyboard, amazon still has a undeveloped app store.

Posted via CB10
    Don't forget, the Amazon app store was made for their kindle fire tablets, with the fire phone now I expect a infusion of new apps. It's just unfortunate that the main ones, like Google maps or the ones requires Google services won't work, but in this forum, the apps that people wanted are pretty much all in the Amazon app store so it's a good start !!

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 10:22 PM
    Chen said hes on enterprise, so he probably got a focus group of loyal blackberry business men and used there input to create the classic and passport. He didnt come up with it, Im sure he needs to sell to enterprise and this is what they want!
    lionheartsimon and Shadowyugi like this.
    06-23-14 10:38 PM
    I need keyboard + flip
    06-23-14 10:54 PM
    He faked pictures of English solder going to the toilet of Iraqis, they weren't it was mocked up and he new about it but portrayed it as truth and went on and on about it, then when it was revealed he was sacked and he ran off to the USA where no one new what he'd done, which is why he very rarely appears on UK television.

Piers Morgan is the kind of person Blackberry should be paying not to be associated with. Blackberry stands for quality, professional and high standards and he is as far from all of those that you can possibly get.
    They aren't "associated" with him. Sooooooooooooo.............what was your point again?
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-23-14 11:10 PM
    Swift key isn't that an APP you have to download for android??

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 11:17 PM
    yeah Blackberry keyboards are that popular they a beating everyone hands down aren't they. Nope Blackberry are known as a dying breed, unfortunately it seems Chen is trying to re-invent the Compact Disk even though 99% of people have gone to mp3.

What you seem to miss is that Blackberry need new customers not just the ones they have now as they can't sustain with the current state, so if they do what you say they'll end up bankrupt. Blackberry without more customers than current is a walking dead company, and it will be a sad, sad day if that happens as I love the BB10 OS and up until this Passport thing I liked the designs. It's too ugly to make anyone other than Blackberry loyalist like it, and it's too big to make it practical to attract the people that might think about it.
    I'm still listening to Vinyl, and Vinyl is making a huge comeback! Proves the point that just because something technology wise may appear to be old or out dated can still work for many people. In life, lots of things from the past make a come back. Weather or not it catches on, it may be a different story. New technology in a lot of cases is not always better. Sure some things are improved upon, but some people just prefer old school, and this doesn't necessarily have anything to do with age. If it works better for some users is pretty much all that matters
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-23-14 11:18 PM
    yeah Blackberry keyboards are that popular they a beating everyone hands down aren't they. .
    Red Herring much? The poster you responded to said nothing about BlackBerry keyboards beating everyone hands down, he pointed out that Keyboards are still the lifeblood of the company...the differentiating factor. Your response was completely off topic.

Nope Blackberry are known as a dying breed, unfortunately it seems Chen is trying to re-invent the Compact Disk even though 99% of people have gone to mp3
    Makes no sense. Chen isn't trying to "re-invent" anything....he's simply listening to the people that will buy his products if he gives them what they want. If you're a CD company and people say "please make more CD's"....do you say no and instead just put out MP3's in a market flooded with MP3's of which you have nearly no traction? Seriously, you don't need to be a CEO to figure that out.

What you seem to miss is that Blackberry need new customers not just the ones they have now.....
    No one has missed that at all except you. You don't think that some potential new (and former) customers might actually WANT a keyboard from the company that invented, and is known for the best keyboards?

so if they do what you say they'll end up bankrupt.
    Based on what? Your decades of experience as a CEO? As a market analyst? As a financial expert? Or as someone who, uh....doesn't like keyboards because they aren't cool?

Blackberry without more customers than current is a walking dead company, and it will be a sad, sad day if that happens as I love the BB10 OS and up until this Passport thing I liked the designs.
    Sooooo.........you liked the Q10 and the Q5? Hmm....there's something about those phones that's different....I just can't put my finger on it (hand held to chin while gazing upwards)

It's too ugly to make anyone other than Blackberry loyalist like it, and it's too big to make it practical to attract the people that might think about it.
    You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how uninformed it might be. Unless you've taken a scientific poll (and I'm pretty sure you haven't but Chen has) that's purely conjecture based on nothing but your personal taste. I wouldn't buy it either (it's not for me) but I'm sure some people will, and for those with specific needs it may be very popular. It's just one phone....one more option for people. Get over it.
    Last edited by redlightblinking; 06-24-14 at 12:06 AM.
    Nemzy likes this.
    06-23-14 11:29 PM
    BlackBerry is offering both full touch and touch/keyboard phone. Not everyone likes full touch and I'm not the only one. Best typing experience in tactile keyboard when you're on the move. I can't type in touchscreen without looking at the screen.

via Q10
    06-23-14 11:33 PM
    Say what you wish, but I have not heard so much buzz over a BlackBerry device in a long time. I'm not talking about on fan sites but rather from friends and colleagues. The Passport was shown in every major news paper here in Toronto last Friday. Since most of my acquaintances know I love BlackBerry, many of them made a point to comment on the articles. NOT ONE had a bad thing to say about the "Passport". The number one comment: "I want to see that when it comes out."

BBM CHANNEL - "BB POWERED " C001C1D66
    app_Developer and Shadowyugi like this.
    06-23-14 11:35 PM
    What is he playing at with the Passport, He is not a stupid man he is surely a highly intelligent man. But this new device will be the device that finally kills Blackberry. In technology you HAVE to keep moving forward if you stand still and you will be left behind. But if you do what Blackberry are doing and go backwards you go down a route you will not return from. Physical keyboard are a thing of the past there is a reason why the likes of Samsung and Apple don't use them, you won't see them bringing out a physical keyboard phone as there is only a very small amount of people want them hence why Blackberry has fallen so far behind them. It's easy the Z30 is an awesome phone all they need to do is bring out a updated version of it with the specs that can compete.

It's a sad day as I love using my Z30 and it seems as if it's going to be my last Blackberry I own as when it eventually dies of old age I will be forced to by an Android phone it's a real shame really Blackberry had a really good platform to build on with the Z30 but have decided to turn the complete wrong way. Sometimes different isn't always a good thing, Sometimes things like the Passport haven't been done because there isn't a market for them. If this was brought out when Blackberry first went to do touchscreens then it might have worked as it would be a progression towards touchscreen but to do it now is illogical and a daft thing to do.

R.I.P Blackberry :-(

Stuart
    1. I use a Z30 and its a good phone, but I'm very excited about the passport and expect to retire my z30 for it. There are a lot of people like me who value a physical keyboard and a bigger screen (and I don't see this as a move backwards). The classic and passport seem (to me) to round out their product mix very nicely. I would expect an all touch upgrade to the z30 in 2015.

2. The physical keyboard market is much smaller than the touch screen market, but there is no reason blackberry can't be in both. I believe Chen said they only need to sell 10mm devices a year to be profitable. Therefore, even if they average a four year cycle, they only need to have an install base of 40mm... I don't see how we can conclude that the device business is dead yet.

3. Samsung and Apple are huge companies. It's plausible that targeting a physical keyboard segment of 20-80mm (hypothetical guess) users doesn't move the needle enough for them to be a worthwhile use of capital. That doesn't mean the same is true for BlackBerry.

Just my point of view from someone who has become more and more frustrated by my touch keyboard since the z10 launch.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    06-23-14 11:49 PM
    I don't care about websites because you can pretty much buy anything on the internet.
    Uh, what? So, you went from "Sliders are so 10 years ago" to "they are available on the internet now but I don't care because everything is available on the internet". Do you need a neck brace?

The wild is what matters - count the number of slider phones you've seen in the past month compared to the number of touchscreens. That will tell you how popular they are.
    And.......why do I care about that again? You might as well be asking me to count how many American made products I see to tell how popular they are compared to Chinese prodcucts. Just because people don't have them doesn't mean they've purposely rejected them. If they aren't available you won't see them. Try to add more science to your experiments. We only know that Iphones don't have that option. We don't know that if they did they would be soundly rejected.

I mentioned it before .... The very fact that a company and a celebrity tried to make an add-on to the Iphone so you could have a physical keyboard is all you need to know about it's possible level of interest.

The last time I saw a keyboard phone was 2 years ago
    Obviously you don't fly much. That 1% you've heard about....the ones sitting in the front of the plane....they have them. Perhaps you don't get into the Delta lounge much. I was just in NYC last week with an iphone snob and loved pointing out to him throughout the day people using their 9930, on the plane, at the hotel, etc. I saw two in the same day. Was on the rental car shuttle bus in DC last month and saw two standing next to each other.

....and the guy quickly put the phone in his bag.
    Ha, that's funny. Now I REALLY don't believe you after that embellishment.

Just because you saw a slider/keyboard phone on the internet, it doesn't mean they are all over the place.
    And........who said anything about being "all over the place"? Just curious, what do you feed all these Red Herrings you keep trotting out?

Sales statistics show keyboard phones (and sliders) are a niche market.
    And so your point is........................? You do realize that BlackBerry is, um.....for a niche market.....yes?

As for thickness, if sliders are so good, JC would have adopted that to the Classic or Passport but these 2 phones have traditional surface keyboards. Why is that?
    You could just as easily said a few months ago "If large ugly phones with keyboards and 1x1 screens are so good, JC would have adopted that." because at that time it didn't exist and you didn't know what was in the works, any more than you do now. You are simply saying that because nothing has.....at this moment in time....been announced, then it's because nobody want's it and nobody is considering it.
    06-24-14 12:01 AM
    Say what you wish, but I have not heard so much buzz over a BlackBerry device in a long time. I'm not talking about on fan sites but rather from friends and colleagues. The Passport was shown in every major news paper here in Toronto last Friday. Since most of my acquaintances know I love BlackBerry, many of them made a point to comment on the articles. NOT ONE had a bad thing to say about the "Passport". The number one comment: "I want to see that when it comes out."

The keywords "in Toronto" . Toronto is the last bastion of BlackBerry support in Canada and maybe in the world.
    06-24-14 12:16 AM
    The keywords "in Toronto" . Toronto is the last bastion of BlackBerry support in Canada and maybe in the world.
    That is very true, but many of these people who talked to me are ones that jokingly jab me for even using a BlackBerry.

06-24-14 12:24 AM
    Wish I had more time to elaborate, but the OP really angers me!

Quality Poultry - Channel PIN: C004B64D1
    Shadowyugi and Nemzy like this.
    06-24-14 02:08 AM
    I can remember before starting my business, I was offered advice about what I should and should not do to have a successful business. After I listened to the advice then asked each person the " is that what you did"? question. They all replied NO I never had my own business or I was never in the field.

So what were you saying about Chen and what BlackBerry should do?
    Shadowyugi and StephanieMaks like this.
    06-24-14 02:37 AM
    Don't forget, the Amazon app store was made for their kindle fire tablets, with the fire phone now I expect a infusion of new apps. It's just unfortunate that the main ones, like Google maps or the ones requires Google services won't work, but in this forum, the apps that people wanted are pretty much all in the Amazon app store so it's a good start !!

Posted via CB10
    You are not the first person who claims google maps doesn't work. Is my Q10 magical or something? Because I've never had a single issue running google maps on my Q10... I use it for navigation, just looking around, searching for things, never had an issue...
    06-24-14 02:55 AM

I agree man, I'm not at all a fan of the Passport's form factor, namely that 3-row keyboard, but I have to say, I haven't seen so much buzz around BB in quite a while. Whether they are saying positive or negative things, people are intrigued...
    xBURK likes this.
    06-24-14 02:57 AM
    Ryan invested quite a bit in developing a keyboard similar to the berry, only to be served an injunction.

So.........
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-24-14 02:58 AM
    There is a market for physical QWERTY. It is a small market, for sure, but it is fully owned by Blackberry, it is loyal and willing to pay good money for good devices. Apparently the OP does not fall into that market, which is not a problem because there will be full touch available as well. Z30 now, something up to date and great next year. For sure.
    06-24-14 03:10 AM
    Uninformed, all the most sold phones are touchscreen, followed by more touchscreen phones, facts are facts

Such a shame BlackBerry and the loyalist are mostly stuck with the mindset (I only say most as I'm one but I can see this isn't going to work)

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 05:18 AM
    So just because people are talking about BlackBerry it's a good, so people using words like dying breed, ugly, stupidly big, trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist, why would anyone buy that. So that's a good thing is it? It isn't in my book surely people saying nothing is better than that

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 05:22 AM
    I would like to reiterate that I'm actually not at all interested in the Passport with its 3-row keyboard, but all of you who are claiming that somehow making an all-touch device will help BB, think about this for a moment. Do you remember seeing so much media coverage of the Z30 when it was announced or about to be released? The Z10 doesn't count because that had the benefit of the "new OS hype" with the whole BB10 launch behind it. So think about the Z30. Did ANYONE care about it other than people here in CB??? I don't remember hearing a single peep out of the media. I've seen decent coverage of the Passport and Classic, but especially the Passport. I think it's just such an odd look that it intrigues people, even those who love to hate on BB. And they never said they won't be making all-touch devices, so we'll likely see a high-end all-touch sometime. But let's compare the situations. Had they made another all-touch device instead of this odd looking Passport, do you honestly think the media would even bother covering it if it looks just like any other Android device out there?? Sorry, but all-touch devices are the most boring things you can look at. Some might have cool features to use, but honestly, why would you even bother looking at photos of upcoming devices, like it's not just another slab of glass on a slab of plastic... Or aluminum in the case of the HTC One's... At least now, the spotlight is (temporarily) on BB, maybe if they announced a high-end all-touch now people might take notice, rather than them announcing one before, and nobody even batting an eye like the Z30...
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-24-14 05:35 AM
    Full touch phones... Z5 Z10 Z30
    Physical... Q5 and Q10

Q10 was launched shortly after the Z10, there was been no replacement for the Q10.

The passport is like the Q10 successor and the classic is 9900 successor

Blackberry have already said they are working on fulltouch device, so just be patient people.

-
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-24-14 05:41 AM
    I thought this thread would have been dead by now. lol

OP - BlackBerry is doing perfectly fine at the moment, regardless of whether or not you don't like the Passport phone. I don't particularly like repeating myself. Besides, they have the Z3 and the Classic too, paving the way. It's understandable that you don't like it. The company is not forcing you to. You're honestly just a secondary customer to them. Their primary focux is Enterprise ergo, their needs supercede yours. And if John Chen figures that this is the right path, then we'll see the result come september/whenever.

2) Touchscreen phones are not all that fancy. And the most obvious business scheme (and I can't believe you're overlooking this), is to release a device that is radically different than your competitors but yet, works better than al their devices. This is key. Anything else, and they get buried in the sea of the saturated market of touchscreen phones. Think about it, no matter how good ratings HTC One and the One mini and the One m8 have gotten, they are still not selling as much as Apple or Samsung. Same with Nokia. Or LG G3 and the likes. They are trying to fight a battle above their means and because they don't have a niche, their buyers are usually people who just want something else as opposed to samsung or apple or blackberry.

That kind of market is not condusive.

This is probably the best plan.
    06-24-14 05:48 AM
    I would like to reiterate that I'm actually not at all interested in the Passport with its 3-row keyboard, but all of you who are claiming that somehow making an all-touch device will help BB, think about this for a moment. Do you remember seeing so much media coverage of the Z30 when it was announced or about to be released? The Z10 doesn't count because that had the benefit of the "new OS hype" with the whole BB10 launch behind it. So think about the Z30. Did ANYONE care about it other than people here in CB??? I don't remember hearing a single peep out of the media. I've seen decent coverage of the Passport and Classic, but especially the Passport. I think it's just such an odd look that it intrigues people, even those who love to hate on BB. And they never said they won't be making all-touch devices, so we'll likely see a high-end all-touch sometime. But let's compare the situations. Had they made another all-touch device instead of this odd looking Passport, do you honestly think the media would even bother covering it if it looks just like any other Android device out there?? Sorry, but all-touch devices are the most boring things you can look at. Some might have cool features to use, but honestly, why would you even bother looking at photos of upcoming devices, like it's not just another slab of glass on a slab of plastic... Or aluminum in the case of the HTC One's... At least now, the spotlight is (temporarily) on BB, maybe if they announced a high-end all-touch now people might take notice, rather than them announcing one before, and nobody even batting an eye like the Z30...
    What media coverage did the Z30 have? It didn't have any I only knew it existed due to coming on here.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 05:49 AM
692 ... 910111213 ...