08-06-15 04:53 AM
692 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    I just don't buy the marketing excuse.

When the z10 was released it was everywhere. It was front and center in the best buy. It was available in many carrier stores.

Most people do not know about new smartphone releases until after the fact. You go into a store and see what's available.

What BlackBerry loyalists fail to realize is that the z10 just did not offer any compelling reason for users to buy in. I went and checked one out. I wasn't impressed.

So now they want to take on the note 4 with a 4.5 inch 1:1 PKB device.

Good luck with that.
    You basically summarized why marketing failed. They needed to show people why they should be interested...they didnt'. They need to have a plan of attack. They didn't. They just put it out there and then......nothing. Just a phone on display at a store. They simply had kiosks for a while...many that didn't even work.

But you're correct in that they also simply were no where near ready for launch when the phone came out.....18 months later we're still waiting for the update that might make it what it should have been upon release.
    06-23-14 03:01 PM
    I find some of these comments pretty funny, "You're not the CEO of BlackBerry, you must be wrong."

Ever since I watched the first Matrix movie I've seen people begging for a slider left right and center. BlackBerry is the only company that I've seen truly deliver a slider (you know, one that isn't elusive and only found in movies). And, of the people I have seen that had the Torch 9800, they all considered it the top echelon of BlackBerry devices, the worlds greatest phone per say. I had been shown one before as if the user had got it as some right of passage, he was so proud. Maybe they should have built a slider instead. It has a tiny niche market, it's noticeable when people are using it, it will probably start a lot of discussion, it's um, unique looking... lol... this could be the next big thing for BlackBerry sales... right? right?

Honestly, I have no ef'n idea what BlackBerry should or shouldn't do and don't have a clue how it will all turn out for them. But I do know this, I've been a BlackBerry user since 2008 and I never have and never intend to buy a phone with a physical keyboard, slider or not. I stuck with them through one of the worst phones ever made, that is in my opinion, and have no intention to leave, for various reasons that go beyond the phone. So, I want an all touch device, I stuck it through with them awaiting the release of the all new revolutionary all touch device. Now that device is the Passport and the Classic. I know BB doesn't owe me or anyone else any thing... but, thanks Chen, thank you very much, you've left me standing out in the rain until... ?? sometime mid 2015 I would guess... if we make it this far.

Needless to say, my sentiments align with the OP. What where you thinking Mr. Chen? What in the everliving **** where you thinking? Couldn't you have also released another all touch device to fill the gap?
    06-23-14 03:03 PM
    Research piers Morgan and what he did when he was editor of an English newspaper and you'll know what I mean

Posted via CB10
    Why should I do that? Why don't you just say what you mean? And then............explain how that should have ANY bearing at all on what phone you choose.
    Nemzy, DS1331 and Shadowyugi like this.
    06-23-14 03:04 PM
    We as BlackBerry users are seems like kids, always crying for something and need immediately, we cried, Z10 not perfect need bigger screen, Q10 screen small, Z30 is ok but for some its too big, need tool belt, etcc blah blah always crying, JC is not stupid do you think that, classic for those stupid people who doesn't want change, and passport for smart people who are keen to learn and adopt new technology, and let us give time to company for new high end touch devices. In the other side once in a year people getting rubbish iPhone and with half features but still they are happy and crazy #wakeupbbusers

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 03:25 PM
    Physical keyboard are a thing of the past there is a reason why the likes of Samsung and Apple don't use them, you won't see them bringing out a physical keyboard phone as there is only a very small amount of people want them hence why Blackberry has fallen so far behind them.
    Personally, I couldn't care less why Samsung and Apple don't have hardware keyboard phones. I would rather stick hot iron pokers in my eye sockets than use a touch screen keyboard. To each their own my friend! :-)

I know many hardcore 9900 users out there who just couldn't do the Q10 and I can appreciate that. It wasn't, and still isn't in many ways, as productive of a device. The Classic will hopefully be the answer for those people and it will help BlackBerry to migrate more users off of their dead end platform and allow them to focus more on BB10.

I think the passport is interesting and I can see where it will be attractive in some segments. No doubt there is some risk involved for this product but you have to take chances in this business and Chen is certainly not putting all the eggs in the same basket with the Passport so I'm not particularly worried whether it will do well or not.
    currentodysseys likes this.
    06-23-14 03:29 PM
    When i`m walking around malls in my living area, i hardly ever see full touch Blackberry devices you might see the odd one or two, but i still see Bolds and Curves and Q10s, i was at the Red Lobster not too long ago too and saw 3 girls at the next table all with Blackberry devices but physical keyboards.
    I think JC knows what people still want.
    i myself coming from a physical and have always been a physical keyboard user cant wait to get the Classic, dont get me wrong what turned me on to physical was the Z10 when it came out, since then i`ve been going back and forth from Z30 to Q5 to Z10 and back to Z30 but i know as soon as the Classic comes in i`ll be hooked again.
    I really wanted to use my Bold 9900 again but i needed to advise my carrier to add the Blackberry social plan kinda put a damper on things.
    Im not that hooked on the Passport though, i saw someone on here did a rounded edge version that looked a lot better than that squared off design
    but still quite a few people did say they would purchase, i myself if i do purchase it will be for collectors interest. Its still a Blackberry.
    06-23-14 03:36 PM
    Seriously? BlackBerry would be really stupid to launch another full touch phone .

Why?

Because everyone else is offering something more than similar and with a better ecosystem etc.

The move to focus on qwerty phones is a good move and if you cant see it you are obviously not a businessman, entrepreneur or anyone who is a decision maker in any kind of business.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    freedomx20a likes this.
    06-23-14 03:43 PM
    uhmm.. my wife, for example, will not trade her z10 for a z30, EVER!
    i tried the q10, and the screen is a bit too small for bb10. the passport is the answer to my request!
    the only problem i will have, it deciding between the passport and the z50 (or whatever it will be)
    you will NEVER be forced to buy an android, you will make that decision on your own.
    the likes of apple and samsung also dont like LGs, Kyocera, Motorola, etc... its a competitive world out there, and yet, we still have PLENTY of options when it comes to mobile phones/ devices.
    lastly, and most importantly,
    ...a DEVICE, will NOT, EVER, put BlackBerry out of business! even if they sell ZERO of them.
    06-23-14 04:07 PM
    I like the passport design except for the sharp corners. Specs look very good. Maybe better front facing camera.

I am interested in upgrading my z10 and would like a qwerty keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 04:36 PM
    Word on the street is John Chen is actually an Apple spy sent to take down the company from the inside.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 04:46 PM
    My first reaction was not positive but as I've thought about it, this design will work great for me and maybe others. The whole wearable thing is going to change how a lot of devices look and function. I can go bluetooth to take a phone call, view my messages on a watch etc. This device will be great for typing and communicating on imo. Anxious to see it.

-bighat
    06-23-14 04:52 PM
    Seriously? BlackBerry would be really stupid to launch another full touch phone .

Why?

Because everyone else is offering something more than similar and with a better ecosystem etc.

The move to focus on qwerty phones is a good move and if you cant see it you are obviously not a businessman, entrepreneur or anyone who is a decision maker in any kind of business.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    You are giving no value to BB10. You cannot get BB10 on a Samsung.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 06-23-14 at 06:20 PM.
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    06-23-14 05:03 PM
    If Samsung were surprised of the initial success than the marketing excuse doesn't hold, when you decide to put an item on the market and you decide to back it up with a lot money behind it, R and D has made their homeworks and you expect that product to be a hit. If Samsung put 100 B $ to advertise how good horse maneure is healthy to eat, I don't care it won't sell bar. I'm in marketing and most people in that field will tell you that a good marketing strategy is a good synergy between the 4 P's, which is Price, Promotion, Product and Place which often BlackBerry failed in 2 or 3 of that combination, promotion itself won't help sell a product, a good combination of those aforementionned items are. BlackBerry is not in the running against Samsung, we saw the money they threw in marketing to promote KNOX and where did it lend them ? Absolutely nowhere, so when you try to target business market, marketing $ isn't everything, a product cathered to them and a status symbol of achieved success will sell. Ads on TV alone doesn't mean anything to them.
    You're referring to the Note because it was a success so you're putting less emphasis on marketing. Easy to look back. How about products with heavy R&D and heavy marketing but failed? HTC One is a prime example. Lauded highly by critics and people that use it, rated top smartphone in 2013 and had over $1 billion in marketing (Robert Downey Jr) and it failed miserably. How do you explain that? That the Company did not do its homework? The fact that Samsung spent over $14 billion in 2013 had something to do with that. More people saw its Ads than HTC and thus bought the S4 and its other products even though the HTC One was a critical success.
    06-23-14 05:21 PM
    Why should I do that? Why don't you just say what you mean? And then............explain how that should have ANY bearing at all on what phone you choose.
    He faked pictures of English solder going to the toilet of Iraqis, they weren't it was mocked up and he new about it but portrayed it as truth and went on and on about it, then when it was revealed he was sacked and he ran off to the USA where no one new what he'd done, which is why he very rarely appears on UK television.

Piers Morgan is the kind of person Blackberry should be paying not to be associated with. Blackberry stands for quality, professional and high standards and he is as far from all of those that you can possibly get.
    06-23-14 05:31 PM
    If Samsung were surprised of the initial success than the marketing excuse doesn't hold, when you decide to put an item on the market and you decide to back it up with a lot money behind it, R and D has made their homeworks and you expect that product to be a hit. If Samsung put 100 B $ to advertise how good horse maneure is healthy to eat, I don't care it won't sell bar. I'm in marketing and most people in that field will tell you that a good marketing strategy is a good synergy between the 4 P's, which is Price, Promotion, Product and Place which often BlackBerry failed in 2 or 3 of that combination, promotion itself won't help sell a product, a good combination of those aforementionned items are. BlackBerry is not in the running against Samsung, we saw the money they threw in marketing to promote KNOX and where did it lend them ? Absolutely nowhere, so when you try to target business market, marketing $ isn't everything, a product cathered to them and a status symbol of achieved success will sell. Ads on TV alone doesn't mean anything to them.
    A lot of business now are BYOD. What people see in Ads do influence what they Bring to the Office. BYOD is mainly due in part to Apple and Google's success in the consumer market and spilled over to the office
    06-23-14 05:31 PM
    I remember when I was 15.

Posted via CB10
    He's Hell-bent on having the Passport fail. Why does he just not get one and be done with it?
    06-23-14 06:45 PM
    He's Hell-bent on having the Passport fail. Why does he just not get one and be done with it?
    I've just seen on crackberry a mock up called Blackberry Coupe if they were to make an high end all touchscreen like that then my money will be spent 5 mins after it's released. Unless I can streamline putting my card details in then it'd be faster.
    06-23-14 06:47 PM
    You're referring to the Note because it was a success so you're putting less emphasis on marketing. Easy to look back. How about products with heavy R&D and heavy marketing but failed? HTC One is a prime example. Lauded highly by critics and people that use it, rated top smartphone in 2013 and had over $1 billion in marketing (Robert Downey Jr) and it failed miserably. How do you explain that? That the Company did not do its homework? The fact that Samsung spent over $14 billion in 2013 had something to do with that. More people saw its Ads than HTC and thus bought the S4 and its other products even though the HTC One was a critical success.
    So you perfectly understand my point, 1 billion dollars marketing, top notch product and it didn't do as well as it should so what makes you think that coming with another full touch backed with marketing dollars would fare better ? I told you a great marketing strategy is a great synergy between the 4 P's, although HTC was a good product, why would it sell better than Samsung ? What would it do better than Samsung to warrant HTC to sell more handsets ? Bottom line the Note sold well because it was a different product than what was on the market and it offered something that some people were looking for, a bigger screen, same reason why the galaxy line is now overtaking the iPhone, people wanted a bigger screen than the iPhone, bokm,simple equation . Business people want a phone catered to them, so let's give them something unique for them.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 07:38 PM
    What is he playing at with the Passport, He is not a stupid man he is surely a highly intelligent man. But this new device will be the device that finally kills Blackberry. In technology you HAVE to keep moving forward if you stand still and you will be left behind. But if you do what Blackberry are doing and go backwards you go down a route you will not return from. Physical keyboard are a thing of the past there is a reason why the likes of Samsung and Apple don't use them, you won't see them bringing out a physical keyboard phone as there is only a very small amount of people want them hence why Blackberry has fallen so far behind them. It's easy the Z30 is an awesome phone all they need to do is bring out a updated version of it with the specs that can compete.

It's a sad day as I love using my Z30 and it seems as if it's going to be my last Blackberry I own as when it eventually dies of old age I will be forced to by an Android phone it's a real shame really Blackberry had a really good platform to build on with the Z30 but have decided to turn the complete wrong way. Sometimes different isn't always a good thing, Sometimes things like the Passport haven't been done because there isn't a market for them. If this was brought out when Blackberry first went to do touchscreens then it might have worked as it would be a progression towards touchscreen but to do it now is illogical and a daft thing to do.

R.I.P Blackberry :-(

Stuart
    you are in the minority and for the 70 Million people still on BB7 devices probably all disagree with you. BB future is keyboards and Chen knows it. The proof is in the user base of bb7.

My advice. Just enjoy your z30 until it dies and move on. let us BB users get what we want and dont let the door you know what on your way out.
    06-23-14 07:43 PM
    you are in the minority and for the 70 Million people still on BB7 devices probably all disagree with you. BB future is keyboards and Chen knows it. The proof is in the user base of bb7.

My advice. Just enjoy your z30 until it dies and move on. let us BB users get what we want and dont let the door you know what on your way out.
    yeah Blackberry keyboards are that popular they a beating everyone hands down aren't they. Nope Blackberry are known as a dying breed, unfortunately it seems Chen is trying to re-invent the Compact Disk even though 99% of people have gone to mp3.

What you seem to miss is that Blackberry need new customers not just the ones they have now as they can't sustain with the current state, so if they do what you say they'll end up bankrupt. Blackberry without more customers than current is a walking dead company, and it will be a sad, sad day if that happens as I love the BB10 OS and up until this Passport thing I liked the designs. It's too ugly to make anyone other than Blackberry loyalist like it, and it's too big to make it practical to attract the people that might think about it.
    06-23-14 07:52 PM
    A lot of business now are BYOD. What people see in Ads do influence what they Bring to the Office. BYOD is mainly due in part to Apple and Google's success in the consumer market and spilled over to the office
    Again, it's not what they see in ads, it's what they see around them, ask someone why does he has an iPhone, most will answer because it's an iPhone, because it's the best, because it's cool, because their friends has it, the very fact of seeing it in a ad will never come up in answers, why ? Because of the brand power, because of the status it gives to possess an iPhone, the cool factor of being part of a movement... does it ring you a bell ? Pretty much the same reasons people used to own a blackberry 10 years ago. Marketing is an integral part of every business strategy but it's not a guarantee of success as your example demonstrated. But listening to your most and influential client base is the best way to start.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 08:00 PM
    Again, it's not what they see in ads, it's what they see around them, ask someone why does he has an iPhone, most will answer because it's an iPhone, because it's the best, because it's cool, because their friends has it, the very fact of seeing it in a ad will never come up in answers, why ? Because of the brand power, because of the status it gives to possess an iPhone, the cool factor of being part of a movement... does it ring you a bell ? Pretty much the same reasons people used to own a blackberry 10 years ago. Marketing is an integral part of every business strategy but it's not a guarantee of success as your example demonstrated. But listening to your most and influential client base is the best way to start.

Posted via CB10
    You mentioned Apple but did not mention Samsung as Android accounts for huge portion of BYOD. And here's some news, IT staff are regular people outside the office and a lot of them see Ads and those Ads can influence their decisions. Also, Apple had to market heavily when it was going up against Microsoft in the beginning. Apple in fact now markets heavily in places where it struggles like China and HK as IPhone sales in these regions are selling lower than expected. Even Tim Cook admitted Apple sales are lagging in HK and this is why I see a ton of Apple Ads in very busy areas. I heard IPhone sales are also poor in Singapore so I won't be surprised if they advertise heavily there.
    06-23-14 08:29 PM
    I work for a govt contractor company. We are getting iPhones. Do you know how many people complain about touch screen keyboards and want their BlackBerry keyboards back? Give me a break about keyboards being dead.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    lionheartsimon and Shadowyugi like this.
    06-23-14 09:00 PM
    You mentioned Apple but did not mention Samsung as Android accounts for huge portion of BYOD. And here's some news, IT staff are regular people outside the office and a lot of them see Ads and those Ads can influence their decisions. Also, Apple had to market heavily when it was going up against Microsoft in the beginning. Apple in fact now markets heavily in places where it struggles like China and HK as IPhone sales in these regions are selling lower than expected. Even Tim Cook admitted Apple sales are lagging in HK and this is why I see a ton of Apple Ads in very busy areas. I heard IPhone sales are also poor in Singapore so I won't be surprised if they advertise heavily there.
    Look, I don't understand why "ads" is so important for you. Ads is only a small part of the bigger picture that is marketing. Tell me now, if you're a blackberry user, what influence your decision to get one in the first place ? Was it an ad that you saw ? If so, since we all know that blackberry marketing sucked monkey balls, no wonder ads are so important to you if lousy they can be, you're still an easy audience I'm just kidding But frankly Samsung is dominating because they took an iPhone idea, improve on its pros and remove its cons and came up with something different, larger screen, better specs, gimmicky features. After that all android vendors just tried to emulate that model but it was too late, Samsung was the first and therefore THE REFERENCE !! Ads doesn't create that, innovation,guts and vision does, that's why you need to come with a product that is fundamentally different that what's out there , with the conviction and the swag that this product will be a game changer ... the z10, the q10 and the z30 aren't game changer the passport will be.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 09:04 PM
    Look, I don't understand why "ads" is so important for you. Ads is only a small part of the bigger picture that is marketing. Tell me now, if you're a blackberry user, what influence your decision to get one in the first place ? Was it an ad that you saw ? If so, since we all know that blackberry marketing sucked monkey balls, no wonder ads are so important to you if lousy they can be, you're still an easy audience I'm just kidding But frankly Samsung is dominating because they took an iPhone idea, improve on its pros and remove its cons and came up with something different, larger screen, better specs, gimmicky features. After that all android vendors just tried to emulate that model but it was too late, Samsung was the first and therefore THE REFERENCE !! Ads doesn't create that, innovation,guts and vision does, that's why you need to come with a product that is fundamentally different that what's out there , with the conviction and the swag that this product will be a game changer ... the z10, the q10 and the z30 aren't game changer the passport will be.

Posted via CB10
    Agree completely up to the part about the Passport being a game changer. Even if people warm up to the keyboard, amazon still has a undeveloped app store.

Posted via CB10
    WorkStation 0 likes this.
    06-23-14 09:14 PM
692 ... 89101112 ...