07-28-13 02:06 AM
55 123
tools
    you had a 9800. I am still using mine until my Q10 becomes available Melbourne,Australia next week. I think the A10 will be a large touch screen device to compete with S4/Note 2. Chance of a slider depends on success of Q10 which has had a mixed reception. if it was a runaway success- different story.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    07-06-13 12:39 AM
    FnA! Portrait slider all the way!

The 9800 was my favorite device of all time. My 8 year old has it now. I still play with it nostalgically.

A Z10 slider would be perfect. 2mm thicker is fine. Must have a track pad, menu, phone on and off buttons. Answering a call on Z10 is annoying. I want that green button back.

www.907outdoors.com
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    07-06-13 02:57 AM
    you had a 9800. I am still using mine until my Q10 becomes available Melbourne,Australia next week. I think the A10 will be a large touch screen device to compete with S4/Note 2. Chance of a slider depends on success of Q10 which has had a mixed reception. if it was a runaway success- different story.

Pretty sure it is already available.

Also, there is now SO much more advertising in Melbourne.

Blackberry Faithful - #TeamBlackBerry
    07-06-13 10:30 PM
    FnA! Portrait slider all the way!

The 9800 was my favorite device of all time. My 8 year old has it now. I still play with it nostalgically.

A Z10 slider would be perfect. 2mm thicker is fine. Must have a track pad, menu, phone on and off buttons. Answering a call on Z10 is annoying. I want that green button back.

907Outdoors - Your Alaska Outdoors Connection!
    If the Q10 has no trackpad the S10 would not have one either - especially since the S10 would have a bigger screen.
    07-07-13 10:10 AM

I think the reaction to the both the Q & Z have been mixed. I think the A10 is the top priority now but I think there is a market for a slider. I also think there is a market for a new high end BBOS device as well. None of these markets are huge but enough to keep BB chugging along. Based on the new 9720 - I don't have a lot of faith in BB's ability to innovate . A new slider seems to be beyond their capacity to develop innovative hardware.
    Rmr079 likes this.
    07-07-13 10:17 AM
    If the Q10 has no trackpad the S10 would not have one either - especially since the S10 would have a bigger screen.
    A slider the size of a Z10 retracted would be awkward to use without a track pad. Single hand operation would not be possible with keyboard extended.

www.907outdoors.com
    Aljean Thein likes this.
    07-07-13 01:04 PM
    I know I'm preaching to the choir but I'd really a 9810 style phone with BB10 on it.
    I think a slider should come before the model A.
    07-08-13 12:42 AM
    BB has always failed at making a high-end slider and the keyboard on those was never that great. I think they should go SE P800 and have a flip keyboard or finally release a dual side device.
    07-09-13 08:24 PM
    If the Q10 gets by without a trackpad with a smaller screen than the S10 then so can a S10. You use your finger on the larger screen is all.
    07-09-13 11:21 PM
    BB has always failed at making a high-end slider and the keyboard on those was never that great. I think they should go SE P800 and have a flip keyboard or finally release a dual side device.
    I would rather use a old 9810 than a SE P800 or similar.
    07-09-13 11:22 PM
    I even like the name, S10.
    07-10-13 01:23 AM
    If the Q10 gets by without a trackpad with a smaller screen than the S10 then so can a S10. You use your finger on the larger screen is all.
    I'm thinking about single hand operation. A Q10 is small enough to reach the top with your thumb. A slider with the screen size of a Z10 would be too long to reach the top.

www.907outdoors.com
    07-10-13 01:45 AM
    I'm thinking about single hand operation. A Q10 is small enough to reach the top with your thumb. A slider with the screen size of a Z10 would be too long to reach the top.

I do not understand - when the slider is in the closed position you would use the device the same way as a Z10. The only advantage of the slider is being able to use a physical Keyboard when you want it. The trackpad would have been more useful on the Q10 because of the tiny screen.
    07-10-13 09:19 AM
    I do not understand - when the slider is in the closed position you would use the device the same way as a Z10. The only advantage of the slider is being able to use a physical Keyboard when you want it. The trackpad would have been more useful on the Q10 because of the tiny screen.
    Have you owned a Torch before? They had useful keyboard short cut buttons. Page up down, top bottom, zoom in out and so on. With the track pad selecting points in text fields or navigating text boxes is easy with the keyboard extended. Or simply used to scroll on a page from one touch point. When I used the Torch I always had the keyboard extended. Retracted when not in use.

www.907outdoors.com
    07-10-13 10:23 AM
    Have you owned a Torch before? They had useful keyboard short cut buttons. Page up down, top bottom, zoom in out and so on. With the track pad selecting points in text fields or navigating text boxes is easy with the keyboard extended. Or simply used to scroll on a page from one touch point. When I used the Torch I always had the keyboard extended. Retracted when not in use.

Ok if you say so. Perhaps other Slider owners could verify. Not something I would do.
    07-10-13 10:26 PM
    [QUOTE=Bbnivende;8709491]

Thanks for your query. It caused me to look harder at this issue. We have an Iphone (has reader mode) and a 9900 that does not. With both of these phones I can rely on a double tap to get font large enough to read without having to enter into the article in question and invoking reader mode. That is not to say reader mode is bad , I would rather be able to easily read the article on the basis of a "double tap". While the Iphone is not as good as the Androids in this regard , usually a double tap is sufficient. The same article double tapped on a Z10 may still have a font that is too small to read.

In other words, I think it is better when a browser can be easily used without having to use "reader mode".
    ++++++++++++++

Disagree with you there. Reader mode works great! It increases the font, and most importantly, it eliminates silly pop-ups, and active mumbo-jumbo. All you need to do is scan up, or down with a finger swipe. The margins are all set for you.
    07-11-13 09:23 PM
    I wonder if the slider is part of the new AQ series with code names Aquarius and Aquila or if that's next year's bigger qwerty.
    07-11-13 09:24 PM
    [QUOTE=Bacon Munchers;8807368]

++++++++++++++

Disagree with you there. Reader mode works great! It increases the font, and most importantly, it eliminates silly pop-ups, and active mumbo-jumbo. All you need to do is scan up, or down with a finger swipe. The margins are all set for you.
    Yes it does work, if the site supports it. Some phones browsers work so well that a "double tap" on the text is as good as being in reader mode. The Iphone has reader mode and it is useful on some sites. All in all the double tap on the Q10 does not even match my 9900 for font size and reformatting.
    07-11-13 09:34 PM
    You are correct. I have also encountered this from time to time. I hear this griped about by a lot of bb10 users, so I think it a matter of time (perhaps 10.2 OS?) that will correct for this.
    Until then, Apple has an advantage there, as they have had so many years to ensure the functionality of this.
    07-13-13 02:05 PM
    Gotta have a slider... To each his own, but my phone must have:

1) Physical keyboard
    2) Trackpad navigation
    3) Home, call and end buttons
    4) Large screen

To satisfy my needs, I just bought a 9810 Torch to upgrade my 9800 Torch.

It pains me to "upgrade" to a two year old phone, but I just don't see a better choice right now. The Q10 and Z10 leave me cold, and I already have an iphone for the stuff that it does better.
    07-14-13 06:03 PM
    Gotta have a slider... To each his own, but my phone must have:

1) Physical keyboard
    2) Trackpad navigation
    3) Home, call and end buttons
    4) Large screen

To satisfy my needs, I just bought a 9810 Torch to upgrade my 9800 Torch.

It pains me to "upgrade" to a two year old phone, but I just don't see a better choice right now. The Q10 and Z10 leave me cold, and I already have an iphone for the stuff that it does better.

Each to his own but If I had a iphone and a BBOS phone I would want my BB to be a 9900.
    07-15-13 11:18 AM
    Having used the 9800 and 9810 I am in full support of a slider. The only caveat is that I'd like it to be landscape orientation.

Yeah, yeah, I know, it will be hard to use one-handed. This has never been even remotely important to me.
    07-15-13 12:38 PM
    Having used the 9800 and 9810 I am in full support of a slider. The only caveat is that I'd like it to be landscape orientation.

Yeah, yeah, I know, it will be hard to use one-handed. This has never been even remotely important to me.

Just for you :

Best Slide Cell Phone of 2013

All I can say is yuck.
    07-16-13 01:48 AM
    All I want is a slider that has magnesium spring loaded mechanisms and has to be sufficiently thin to not feel bulky. They should rip a page off Samsung's book of slider phones.

Also, none of the curvy shapes of the A10. Makes the device look weak imo.
    07-16-13 02:12 AM
    I held an old BB slider yesterday. I could totally see the Q10 as the base for a slider . Same KB. Screen 720 X 1280. Equals 4 inches . Device about the same size as a Q10 with the screen down.
    Brutal Efficiency likes this.
    07-17-13 07:29 AM
55 123