06-18-13 11:27 AM
77 1234
tools
    Ignoring market trends, marked the downfall of BlackBerry. And the competition is one development cycle (on the hardware side) ahead, compared to BlackBerry.

Just on the hardware side, the flagship devices of the direct competition either have a 1080p screen, a Quadcore (or even an eighth core processor as in big.LITTLE), a GPU with a lot more power and/or a metal chassis (except the Samsung S4).
    The Z10 was delayed and should have had launched in a way, that it does not compete with the S4/Htc One/Lumia 928/iPhone 5s so soon.

What ever happened, happened though, and here we are now.
    A moment in time, where BlackBerry does not have the luxury of ignoring the competition. They must be one step ahead. For me, BB10 is already better on the experience front.
    But Hardware wise, they lag behind one generation now.

A 1080p screen is a must on the high-end now, and if they launch the Aristo without it, it's a sign that BBRY hasn't understood one thing, about their demise.
    From a strategic point of view, to launch the Z5 as the low/mid-end device compared to the Z10, it means that the High-end must have far better specs. If not the difference between these 3 tiers isn't apparent for the consumer.
    The consumer equals buzzwords like: quadcore, 1080p, big screen, metal frame and iPhone with quality.

BBRY should make a nice speech to the dev community why 1080p must be supported now as well, but without a compelling high-end device, BlackBerry can't compete fully against its competitors. It is time to revert the screen resolution guidelines.
    For the sake of a Z5
    Exactly...and I hope they learned from their mistakes.

On Flagships, one bold and risky move is the 4 megapixel camera on the HTC One! The market standard is "definitivement" 8mp, and going higher now! But the ultrapixel thing can be a sound alternative understandable for customers...

As for the Q5/Z5 feud, im not really tech savy, but, in theory, in my mind, having the same same phone as a Q5, but with full touchscreen, instead of a keyboard, does it make it a bit cheaper (less pieces, etc) or more costly? In theory?

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 03:59 PM
    Exactly...and I hope they learned from their mistakes.

On Flagships, one bold and risky move is the 4 megapixel camera on the HTC One! The market standard is "definitivement" 8mp, and going higher now! But the ultrapixel thing can be a sound alternative understandable for customers...

As for the Q5/Z5 feud, im not really tech savy, but, in theory, in my mind, having the same same phone as a Q5, but with full touchscreen, instead of a keyboard, does it make it a bit cheaper (less pieces, etc) or more costly? In theory?

Posted via CB10
    HTC is in pinch right now, even though they outed the One.
    It's a superb phone, but apparently that isn't enough for the market.
    I suspect that people did in fact not understand the "ultrapixel" term.

Considering your second thought, I am not sure how that translates for the costs.
    It's at least one step less in the manufacturing process, to make the touchscreen phone and it uses less pieces as you said.

I would love to hear an answer from someone who knows about supply chain management in the mobile landscape.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 02:52 AM
    Woah, HTC is in a situation right now...but i've kind of read so much of the same thing for BlackBerry :s

It would be nice to maximise people using BB10 with even-less-costy-than-Q5-phone. I mean, the all-touchscreen experience is awesome (keyboard, flow, etc) and the software already exists

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 09:41 AM
    Coming to a former BB leading market near you, Jakarta.

http://lenovo.7eer.net/c/159229/2188...-03Apr2013.pdf

The Lenovo A390 for $100.

Yikes...

Z1 ? Did anyone see a Z1 ?
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-28-13 11:36 PM
    Coming to a former BB leading market near you, Jakarta.

http://lenovo.7eer.net/c/159229/2188...-03Apr2013.pdf

The Lenovo A390 for $100.

Yikes...

Z1 ? Did anyone see a Z1 ?
    Here the specs without the need for downloading a pdf:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_a390-5450.php

I think you know that I said in other threads, that BlackBerry can't compete against the 100$ Android crowd, and it shows again.

As long as the Z5 is a perfect mid-entry phone, there is no need for a Z1 just yet.
    The competition in the low/mid-segment is extremely big and if one can make a dent there, this is nothing to sneeze at.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 06:41 AM
    Here the specs without the need for downloading a pdf:
    Lenovo A390 - Full phone specifications

I think you know that I said in other threads, that BlackBerry can't compete against the 100$ Android crowd, and it shows again.

As long as the Z5 is a perfect mid-entry phone, there is no need for a Z1 just yet.
    The competition in the low/mid-segment is extremely big and if one can make a dent there, this is nothing to sneeze at.

Posted via CB10
    I agree that they need a Z5 before the Z1. The Z/Q 1 is a new Curve. Still though if Lenovo can make a reasonable $100 smartphone why can't BB? I guess their ace in the hole for the new BBOS device(s) are the cheap data plans and local market Apps.

My point is that BB will lose market share but perhaps they will still sell a reasonable number based on the the increasing size of the overall market .
    05-29-13 11:35 AM
    I agree that they need a Z5 before the Z1. The Z/Q 1 is a new Curve. Still though if Lenovo can make a reasonable $100 smartphone why can't BB? I guess their ace in the hole for the new BBOS device(s) are the cheap data plans and local market Apps.

My point is that BB will lose market share but perhaps they will still sell a reasonable number based on the the increasing size of the overall market .
    There are a number of reasons for that, and I won't be able to enumerate them all. But to name a few:

1) It doesn't really make sense to enter the low-end market, if I can make 2-7x the $ through only playing in the mid/high end field.

2) Simple factors like bulk purchasing or a better connection to local suppliers, that make components cheaper can't be applied to BlackBerry.

3) Android isn't an in house developped OS, it's practically free, and allows all of these manufacturers that compete in the low-end, to have nearly no R&D costs considering the OS.

4) R&D costs are something that BlackBerry needs to recoup, and they were pretty high, because of the transition between operating systems.

5) Offering such a cheap smartphone dillutes BlackBerry's future image.

They try to reestablish themselves, but not through the looooow-end.
    BlackBerry wants to be recognised for their ability to cater to people who could also afford an iPhone, for example, which isn't the case anymore.

Etc...

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-29-13 03:01 PM
    There are a number of reasons for that, and I won't be able to enumerate them all. But to name a few:

1) It doesn't really make sense to enter the low-end market, if I can make 2-7x the $ through only playing in the mid/high end field.

2) Simple factors like bulk purchasing or a better connection to local suppliers, that make components cheaper can't be applied to BlackBerry.

3) Android isn't an in house developped OS, it's practically free, and allows all of these manufacturers that compete in the low-end, to have nearly no R&D costs considering the OS.

4) R&D costs are something that BlackBerry needs to recoup, and they were pretty high, because of the transition between operating systems.

5) Offering such a cheap smartphone dillutes BlackBerry's future image.

They try to reestablish themselves, but not through the looooow-end.
    BlackBerry wants to be recognised for their ability to cater to people who could also afford an iPhone, for example, which isn't the case anymore.

Etc...

Posted via CB10
    And yet the fact that bb does so well in the cheap smartphone/emerging markets would appear to crap all over what you just said.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    06-04-13 09:16 AM
    And yet the fact that bb does so well in the cheap smartphone/emerging markets would appear to crap all over what you just said.

Would you mind to elaborate?

BlackBerry doesn't sell 100$ smartphones the last time I checked.
    http://www.amazon.com/Blackberry-932...bUvbUpU8594608

Yep, that's 200$ and their lowest-end phone.
    I don't care about the nomenclature, be it Z1 or Z5 or what ever, but BlackBerry needs a Touchscreen phone in that price segment, the mid-entry.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 10:25 AM
    In India etc Blackberry is still relying on their more expensive BB7 models ( than the cheapest Androids) - Why & How?
    - They can't sell their BB10 devices cheap enough to make a profit
    - Cheaper monthly purchase plans
    - Users that mainly use their phones for communicating
    They will not increase their market share there but will continue to sell devices .

Recent article:

BlackBerry rejigs game plan to move beyond devices | Business Line

I think that BB7 models will persist in the UK as well for at least the next Christmas buying season ( sort of a stocking stuffer - I am not kidding ).
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-04-13 11:54 AM
    In India etc Blackberry is still relying on their more expensive BB7 models ( than the cheapest Androids) - Why & How?
    - They can't sell their BB10 devices cheap enough to make a profit
    - Cheaper monthly purchase plans
    - Users that mainly use their phones for communicating
    They will not increase their market share there but will continue to sell devices .

Recent article:

BlackBerry rejigs game plan to move beyond devices | Business Line

I think that BB7 models will persist in the UK as well for at least the next Christmas buying season ( sort of a stocking stuffer - I am not kidding ).
    Interesting Article, thanks for sharing

There must still be a huge amount of unsold OS7 devices.

This means that it makes sense to clear that inventory, through selling them in countries where the demand for cheap phones is still high enough, while BlackBerry can't produce and sell a BB10 handset for a high enough profit there.

What also makes sense, is to not produce new BBOS devices, but to sell these OS7 devices until there is no stock left.
    Every newly launched BBOS device means that the support for the legacy OS has to continue longer than necessary.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 02:08 PM
    They aren't going to make a Z5. They are making a phablet version of the Z10 though.

Posted via CB10
    Can you say that 100%? How exactly do you know for an absolute certainty that they aren't going to release a Z5?

If you're so certain with them going for a "Phablet" device, then why shred the idea of a smaller or cheaper Z10?
    It makes absolute sense for them to release a Z5. Why? Well, because we can already see the idea with the Q10 and Q5. Second; tapping into the very large market of folks who would love the 4.2" design, but don't have much funds, is a very intelligent idea, and clearly the board at BlackBerry agrees, because we wouldn't have the Q5 unless they did.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-04-13 11:00 PM

Since you are clearly unable to grasp even the most basic chain of arguments, why are you trolling, err I mean hanging out here I cannot imagine...

...just WTF old, outdated thus heavily discounted devices, running an old, discontinued, already-paid-for OS have to do with what he said?

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-05-13 09:38 AM
    The latest "leak picture" of the supposed Z5, why couldn't these pictures be of the new A10 device ?
    06-05-13 11:49 AM
    Since you are clearly unable to grasp even the most basic chain of arguments, why are you trolling, err I mean hanging out here I cannot imagine...

...just WTF old, outdated thus heavily discounted devices, running an old, discontinued, already-paid-for OS have to do with what he said?

Posted via CB10
    Lmao right back at you.

06-05-13 02:47 PM

Lmao right back at you.

Since you are so extremely eloquent, I guess that you have nothing more to contribute?

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 02:59 PM

Since you are so extremely eloquent, I guess that you have nothing more to contribute?

Posted via CB10
    When you utter something worth bothering with I might.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 03:03 PM

You began talking about that, so I seriously though you would have something to contribute.

My bad for not recognising the monkey behind the suit.

Posted via CB10
    szlevi likes this.
    06-05-13 03:17 PM
    You began talking about that, so I seriously though you would have something to contribute.

Posted via CB10
    That was my contribution. You're welcome and forgiven. :thumbup:

06-05-13 03:19 PM
    06-06-13 01:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    Just stop feeding the troll, that's it.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-06-13 11:24 AM
    That's a worthless rumor, not a leak and the article is full of it anyway, very hard to take it seriously.
    06-06-13 01:18 PM
    There is no Z5, never was, never will, get over it lol
    06-16-13 05:04 AM
    I have no problem with a change in its nomenclature, but a low/mid-range Touchscreen device powered by BB10 will come without a question.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 03:49 PM
    I really am curious to know who your contacts are
    06-17-13 04:03 PM
77 1234