06-18-13 10:27 AM
77 123 ...
tools
    I like the looks of the Q5... but it better be cheap enough to compete. I think that the emerging markets and the UK must be tired of their QWERTY models and might prefer a Z5.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 05-15-13 at 10:24 AM.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-15-13 10:00 AM
    I had a similar thought!
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-15-13 10:06 AM
    At the risk of hijacking my own thread. I would like to see the Z/Q5 come to North America and all BB7 devices banished from our stores.

Sorry about the typo in the title ... can't seem to edit the thread title.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 05-15-13 at 10:23 AM.
    05-15-13 10:13 AM
    This would make zero sense, I think, it would only further dilute the brand, wouldn't help at all.
    Instead BB should hurry up and bring out the 'Z15', the 5" (1080p, quad-core, wireless charger etc) big bro of Z10, apparently already in testing, ASAP: ;position it at the top, start at $199 (w/ 2-y payments) then simultaneously drop Z10's price a bit (eg at T-Mobile USA it would be $49 instead of $99 w/ 2-y payments or $479 right off the bat instead of the current $532 right away), while keeping Q10 at $99 (current advertised launch price at TMO w/ 2-y payments) and probably $49 $0 for Q5 (w/ 2-y) if it ever makes it over here, keeping all positions (touch-only and keyboard, mid-level and high-end) in line.
    Remember, BB can introduce el cheapo ones (Q1,Z5, Z1) later any time, they are cheaper to produce, they make less profit etc and they definitely do not bring the visibility BB10.1/10.2 so much in need now...
    Last edited by szlevi; 05-15-13 at 10:54 AM.
    05-15-13 10:31 AM
    This would make zero sense, I think, it would only further dilute the brand, wouldn't help at all.
    Instead BB should hurry up and bring out the 'Z15', the 5" (1080p, quad-core, wireless charger etc) big bro of Z10, apparently already in testing, ASAP: ;position it at the top, start at $199 (w/ 2-y payments) then simultaneously drop Z10's price a bit (eg at T-Mobile USA it would be $49 instead of $99 w/ 2-y payments or $479 right off the bat instead of the current $532 right away), while keeping Q10 at $99 (current advertised launch price at TMO w/ 2-y payments) and probably $49 for Q5 (w/ 2-y), keeping all positions (touch-only and keyboard, mid-level and high-end) in line.
    Remember, BB can introduce el cheapo ones (Q1,Z5, Z1) later any time, they are cheaper to produce, they make less profit etc and they definitely do not bring the visibility BB10.1/10.2 so much in need now...

They can do all of that ... we are supposed to get six models. I would rather have seen a Z5 before or at the same time as the Q5. The USA market is not the most important for BB at the present time. They have other markets where the mid tier models (Q5) will outsell the Q10 by a large margin.
    05-15-13 10:55 AM
    Sure, they might can do all that in theory but in reality you always deal with limited resources so you always prioritize... I think BB need to be on the offensive, they have to stop playing catchup and besides chasing their existing userbase with upgrade offers they must also start aggressively convert people back from other platforms - and the latter needs a strong ongoing momentum, built on visibility/specs/reviews eg a high-end device with high-end hardware, to show off what MM10/QNX is capable of...
    05-15-13 12:47 PM
    Sure, they might can do all that in theory but in reality you always deal with limited resources so you always prioritize... I think BB need to be on the offensive, they have to stop playing catchup and besides chasing their existing userbase with upgrade offers they must also start aggressively convert people back from other platforms - and the latter needs a strong ongoing momentum, built on visibility/specs/reviews eg a high-end device with high-end hardware, to show off what MM10/QNX is capable of...
    More people outside the USA would buy a Z5 vs a Z15 - today IMHO. But for sure build that Z15.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-15-13 01:25 PM
    There simply isn't the right places to cut specs and costs to make a z5 viable yet, whereas with the q5 they were able to use much cheaper materials, drop the oled for lcd etc.
    05-15-13 01:55 PM
    There simply isn't the right places to cut specs and costs to make a z5 viable yet, whereas with the q5 they were able to use much cheaper materials, drop the oled for lcd etc.
    How so ? Nokia has done this and the Lumia 520 seems to be an excellent phone.
    05-15-13 02:48 PM
    How so ? Nokia has done this and the Lumia 520 seems to be an excellent phone.
    You are overlooking the crucial area where that one saves money, it is only 800x480 display on the 520, which is something they are trying to avoid with bb10 due to the fragmentation of the app market.

We got the q5 because it didn't add significant development time over the q10, whereas a cut-down to get to a z5 would have taken away resources from more important devices, we will get a z5 or similar next year when they can fit a 720p display into a budget model.
    05-16-13 06:08 AM
    You are overlooking the crucial area where that one saves money, it is only 800x480 display on the 520, which is something they are trying to avoid with bb10 due to the fragmentation of the app market.

We got the q5 because it didn't add significant development time over the q10, whereas a cut-down to get to a z5 would have taken away resources from more important devices, we will get a z5 or similar next year when they can fit a 720p display into a budget model.
    That's my point, they don't even have to develop a Z5 when they have to have a high-end model out ASAP, by mid-Summer anyway, along with the release of v10.2 with Android 4.2.2 support - it would make perfect sense to release a 1080p Z15 and simply mark down the 720p Z10, effectively pushing it down to the upper-mid tier, just like all other mfrs do after 4-6 months.
    This would also give them breathing space in the hardware race and steady revenues until Christmas - and by the end of the year they should release either refreshed models or at least a big OS update release eg v11 with plenty of new things, to keep up the momentum...
    Again as an Android user the 4.2.2 upgrade alone would give me confidence to seriously consider BB but if it comes with a better (1080p) hardware option then it would surely make me switch immediately.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-16-13 09:26 AM

I see your point . In some ways the Z10 comes off as a mid tier device. They should have aimed higher on the Z10 hardware ( aluminum body - 4.5 inch screen ) and the current "plastic" Z10 would have been the Z5. Maybe once the big phone comes out, the Z10 will be the defacto Z5. The consensus on the Q5 seems to be that BB needs to price the phone low enough to keep or gain market share rather than trying to maximize gross profit per unit.
    Creaulx likes this.
    05-16-13 09:30 AM
    Hopefully nowhere.
    05-16-13 09:34 AM
    I think it would be a good idea for BlackBerry to release a full touch screen bb10 phone the size of an iphone 4, and call that the z5

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    eddy_berry likes this.
    05-16-13 09:49 AM
    I think it would be a good idea for BlackBerry to release a full touch screen bb10 phone the size of an iphone 4, and call that the z5
    Uhh the iPhone 4, an almost 2-y old phone, is actually bigger than the iPhone 5... FYI there is one such BB already, it's called Z10.
    05-16-13 12:10 PM
    Uhh the iPhone 4, an almost 2-y old phone, is actually bigger than the iPhone 5... FYI there is one such BB already, it's called Z10.
    I meant with the screen size of an iphone 4 einstein...

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    05-16-13 06:13 PM
    I'm pretty sure Heins mentioned in an interview a while ago that a mid-tier full-touch device was in the works as well. Chances are it just isn't ready for prime time yet.
    05-16-13 06:20 PM
    Sure they could make a Z5...but then it would just be an iPhone. ;D

Posted via CB10 on a Z10
    05-16-13 06:29 PM
    They aren't going to make a Z5. They are making a phablet version of the Z10 though.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 06:32 PM
    I see your point . In some ways the Z10 comes off as a mid tier device. They should have aimed higher on the Z10 hardware ( aluminum body - 4.5 inch screen ) and the current "plastic" Z10 would have been the Z5. Maybe once the big phone comes out, the Z10 will be the defacto Z5. The consensus on the Q5 seems to be that BB needs to price the phone low enough to keep or gain market share rather than trying to maximize gross profit per unit.
    Aluminum scratches VERY easily and is slippery in the hand. I'd take a sturdy plastic phone that will look as good as the day I bought it several months down the road. This whole aluminum > plastic trend thats going on needs to die fast. Blackberry has it right with the composites approach on the Q10. I PRAY that they don't make an aluminum phone. Steel bands are fine.
    05-16-13 09:26 PM
    Aluminum scratches VERY easily and is slippery in the hand. I'd take a sturdy plastic phone that will look as good as the day I bought it several months down the road. This whole aluminum > plastic trend thats going on needs to die fast. Blackberry has it right with the composites approach on the Q10. I PRAY that they don't make an aluminum phone. Steel bands are fine.
    Whatever .. I think they can do better than the Z10 ... even something with more classic BB styling is fine by me.
    05-16-13 11:28 PM
    Actually, a 4.5" display would have been lower end due to the lower ppi and I wish people would get out of this apple-led mindset that metal equals higher tier.
    05-17-13 06:00 AM
    That's my point, they don't even have to develop a Z5 when they have to have a high-end model out ASAP, by mid-Summer anyway, along with the release of v10.2 with Android 4.2.2 support - it would make perfect sense to release a 1080p Z15 and simply mark down the 720p Z10, effectively pushing it down to the upper-mid tier, just like all other mfrs do after 4-6 months.
    I think we will see a z5 at some point, if the high end for BB moves to larger devices then the logical move for a lower end model would be a 720p display 4.5" model which is more mainstream and would end up being cheaper this time next year than continuing to sell the z10.
    05-17-13 06:04 AM
    I meant with the screen size of an iphone 4 einstein...
    Huh? You're making even less sense now - a 3.5" 640x960 display? WTH are you trying to say, seriously?
    And don't be hostile because you are struggling to properly express your thoughts... why don't you just say what you want to see from BB, eg "smaller screen would suffice for a Z5"...?
    05-17-13 08:18 AM
    I believe they released the Q5 first because they target with it the heavy-texting users in developing countries. BlackBerry users in these countries prefer a physical keyboard over a full touch device because they use the phone mainly for messaging (traditionally, it was cheaper for them to comunicate in this way), and this is the very reason they buy BlackBerry .

So it makes sense to release the Q5 first and leave the (hypothetical) Z5 for a later date, after BB10 has established itself on the market.
    05-17-13 08:31 AM
77 123 ...