04-03-15 07:42 PM
139 12345 ...
tools
    My husband uses Galaxy. I haven't seen much improvement with each upgrade he acquires.

They are still weak and not near to being the tank a BlackBerry is.

Posted via CB10
    nt300, AtInsider and HighFlight88 like this.
    02-19-15 03:31 AM
    Will have to agree. Samsung is not the best choice for a Android based smart phone.
    TheQuietRioter likes this.
    02-20-15 08:34 AM
    The S3, for its time in 2012 was the hallmark/breakthrough device IMO. Was very, very good and this is coming from someone that prefers BB>=iOS>>Android. Even managed to outsell the iPhone for a short while, and probably made Apple executives slightly concerned with the slew of litigation that occurred thereafter. It's kind of a shame Samsung was not able to repeat this success but AFAIK it's still the best selling Android phone by a wide margin.
    02-20-15 12:49 PM
    I would be ok with Samsung building an all-touch phone with BB10, but I think they'd need to tweak the hardware design a bit to make it stand out from the full Android equivalent. Perhaps better build quality / premium materials and then they could justify a higher price too. I don't know if Samsung could do it being part of Google's Open Handset Alliance and BB10 essentially having a hacked/forked Android runtime.
    02-20-15 02:57 PM
    I would be ok with Samsung building an all-touch phone with BB10, but I think they'd need to tweak the hardware design a bit to make it stand out from the full Android equivalent. Perhaps better build quality / premium materials and then they could justify a higher price too. I don't know if Samsung could do it being part of Google's Open Handset Alliance and BB10 essentially having a hacked/forked Android runtime.
    Please explain why Samsung would make such a move when they're trying to grow their own OS in Tizen. It's not like BB10 is on a growth path. Maybe if BlackBerry 10 dominated the enterprise market it would make sense.
    TheQuietRioter likes this.
    02-21-15 01:07 AM
    Please explain why Samsung would make such a move when they're trying to grow their own OS in Tizen. It's not like BB10 is on a growth path. Maybe if BlackBerry 10 dominated the enterprise market it would make sense.
    Tizen is nothing new and innovative. You need a mobile OS and Platform that is capable of properly competing with Android and iOS. That OS is BB10. It's the differentiation that can help Samsung re-ignite it's dwindling hardware sales.

FYI Tizen is DOA. It will be used on its digital electronics such as HDTV's, but that's about it.

Posted by Q5
    02-21-15 11:03 AM
    Tizen is nothing new and innovative. You need a mobile OS and Platform that is capable of properly competing with Android and iOS. That OS is BB10. It's the differentiation that can help Samsung re-ignite it's dwindling hardware sales.

FYI Tizen is DOA. It will be used on its digital electronics such as HDTV's, but that's about it.
    Samsung is poised to do very well with the S6. The OS that will compete with the Big 2 is Windows Phone 10.

Tizen as "DOA" on handsets is a little overly dramatic considering their month one sales exceeded expectations in India.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-21-15 11:43 AM
    My statement wasn't about the likelihood of Samsung using BB10, especially as I noted that I don't think they could do it being a part of the Open Handset Alliance and I don't think they would or could completely move away from a Google-approved Android anytime in the near future. More a hypothetical. Anyway, Tizen doesn't have much to offer other than just helping Samsung to help make them slightly less dependent on Google, which I think they'd really like to get out of if they could. It's just not viable yet.. BB10 offers much more than Tizen, in that it has the security credentials (which would align well with Samsung's desire to be in that space with Knox), and is also more mature. I don't think BB10 is dead and it may yet still grow. It might be the vehicle that could carry Samsung to independence from Google. I think if Samsung, BlackBerry, and Amazon combined forces, it could create a viable alternative that I think people would actually consider. I'm just throwing out possibilities; I'm not saying it's probable so don't get worked up about it.
    02-21-15 08:24 PM
    Tizen doesn't have much to offer other than just helping Samsung to help make them slightly less dependent on Google, which I think they'd really like to get out of if they could. It's just not viable yet.. BB10 offers much more than Tizen, in that it has the security credentials (which would align well with Samsung's desire to be in that space with Knox), and is also more mature. I don't think BB10 is dead and it may yet still grow. It might be the vehicle that could carry Samsung to independence from Google.
    All of which is why Samsung could be in talks to buy BB10 from BlackBerry...in order to merge it with Tizen.
    02-21-15 08:40 PM
    All of which is why Samsung could be in talks to buy BB10 from BlackBerry...in order to merge it with Tizen.
    I don't think it'd be so much of a merge though rather than BB10 just supplanting Tizen entirely. BB10 already supports anything Tizen has that I know of. Maybe they'd bring over the HTML5 apps. Perhaps some features but I don't know what compelling features Tizen has.
    02-21-15 09:03 PM
    Why does Samsung sell many components to Apple for iPhone? Money! What does it hurt Samsung if BlackBerry pays them for hardware.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 09:15 PM
    Why does Samsung sell many components to Apple for iPhone? Money! What does it hurt Samsung if BlackBerry pays them for hardware.
    Doubt we'll ever see a Samsung-branded device running BlackBerry 10. Unless Samsung wants to lose whatever credibility they have left.
    02-21-15 09:20 PM
    Doubt we'll ever see a Samsung-branded device running BlackBerry 10. Unless Samsung wants to lose whatever credibility they have left.
    What if it is BlackBerry branded, but touted as Samsung built as a test to see how the device would sell, and possibly a precursor to a Samsung purchase and/or investment in BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 11:34 AM
    What if it is BlackBerry branded, but touted as Samsung built as a test to see how the device would sell, and possibly a precursor to a Samsung purchase and/or investment in BlackBerry.
    That would certainly be a first in the industry. Can't think of any OEMs that manufacture devices for other OEMs.
    02-22-15 11:57 AM
    That would certainly be a first in the industry. Can't think of any OEMs that manufacture devices for other OEMs.
    Basically happened with Nokia and Microsoft. Nokia started using Windows after being paid by Microsoft to do it, then Microsoft bought the Phone business from Nokia.

Posted via CB10
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    02-22-15 12:06 PM
    Basically happened with Nokia and Microsoft. Nokia started using Windows after being paid by Microsoft to do it, then Microsoft bought the Phone business from Nokia.
    Under that scenario, Samsung would licence Tizen devices exclusively to BlackBerry and pay them $1 billion to abandon BB10.

Notice how horribly off topic we are? Lol
    02-22-15 01:28 PM
    Under that scenario, Samsung would licence Tizen devices exclusively to BlackBerry and pay them $1 billion to abandon BB10.

Notice how horribly off topic we are? Lol
    Here is what I think is happening. Samsung realizes that Tizen has little hope seeing the difficulties of BlackBerry and Microsoft to launch a new platform. BlackBerry has a good foothold in business devices right now where Samsung is mostly consumer. BlackBerry is helping Samsung secure an OS that neither own in Android, an OS that is becoming increasingly difficult for them to make money on as Chinese companies can undercut them on the hardware costs while still providing the same same experience to the user. Android is in a race to the bottom for hardware pricing and eventually all you will see in it is Chinese manufacturers. I think Samsung is trying to figure out the best way to get away from Android while still being a player in the smartphone space. BlackBerry would give them a complete OS that has a firm foothold in business, MDM, automotive infotainment, and QNX too. Also they have picked up a fair amount of ex BlackBerry execs and likely have a good idea of what was in the pipeline.

Posted via CB10
    DJM626 likes this.
    02-22-15 02:27 PM
    My only hope is that they also release an all touch device without the PKB contraption with the same specs and screen. I personally don't want any keyboard buttons as they will wear and/or malfunction eventually. Only way I would accept it is if I could software disable the Keyboard. They should be able to release an all touch device with all the same parts minus the PKB and a slight chassis mod and gain economies of scale too.

Posted via CB10
    This has got to be someone who owned a torch 9850. The toolbar buttons eventually failed on some.

Posted via CB10
    Z30Commission likes this.
    02-24-15 06:52 AM
    This has got to be someone who owned a torch 9850. The toolbar buttons eventually failed on some.

Posted via CB10
    Nope a 9900, and had to support 9360 devices in my household also. Optical trackpad failures, keyboard stutters. Any physical Keyboard eventually wears out. It is an electro mechanical mechanism that cannot operate forever.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 08:58 AM
    The Classic was announced at Mobile World Congress last year and is just now available on AT&T and Verizon so we can probably expect any new device announced next week will be available at the end of the year or early 2016.
    02-24-15 10:52 AM
    The Classic was announced at Mobile World Congress last year and is just now available on AT&T and Verizon so we can probably expect any new device announced next week will be available at the end of the year or early 2016.
    Great argument. I just hope that Chen can speed the product to market, especially given that BlackBerry has 10 million devices to sell in 2015! And, a more personal motive, I want to see what BlackBerry can produce nowadays.
    02-24-15 11:10 PM
    Can we just leave Samsung and their cheap phones and spying televisions out of this thread??? HAHA

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 12:17 PM
    Great argument. I just hope that Chen can speed the product to market, especially given that BlackBerry has 10 million devices to sell in 2015! And, a more personal motive, I want to see what BlackBerry can produce nowadays.
    He wants to sell 10M minimum BB10 smart phones in 2015. I can see BlackBerry selling a lot more if they play there cards right. People have asked for a high end Full Touch device priced to sell. This Mobile Congress 2015 will be a lot more revealing on the companies road maps.
    02-25-15 01:34 PM
    This Mobile Congress 2015 will be a lot more revealing on the companies road maps.
    Or not revealing at all.
    02-25-15 01:43 PM
    My husband uses Galaxy. I haven't seen much improvement with each upgrade he acquires.

They are still weak and not near to being the tank a BlackBerry is.

Posted via CB10
    I was not quick enough in my new position so a SS GS4 was 'selected' for me. It displays pretty colours, but I can't wait to switch to my BlackBerries at the end of the day. The GS4 feels positively fragile and it is anything but productive in comparison to BB10.

I am waiting to switch a colleague for his Z30. If BlackBerry announces something new and innovative, I'll be interested, based on present experience.

Q10  The Other Crackberry Pirate  Z30 | via CB10
    TheQuietRioter and nt300 like this.
    02-26-15 12:35 PM
139 12345 ...