08-06-09 10:18 AM
33 12
tools
    Hey guys, I need some help. I am new to this site as well to Blackberry.

I am on Verizon's network (not going anywhere) and I have been holding out for the "perfect" phone but it seems with every new release something major is missing from the phone.

I really would like to purchase a high-end Blackberry that will do everything I need it to do for business and for personal so I don't have to upgrade in a year. Granted, I know that something bigger and better is always going to come out, but something that I'll be happy with for a long time. ( I AM NOT INTERESTED IN THE STORM!)

I was just at the Verizon store today and checked out the Tour. I liked it alot, however it doesn't have WiFi.

I have read a couple of posts regarding rumored phones to hit the networks, but a lot of them seem to be going to other carriers.

Does anyone have any advice on whether I should just buy the Tour or wait a little bit longer for the same phone features PLUS WiFi??
    07-30-09 06:18 PM
    I don't think verizon has any bb's w/ wifi... I just got the curve on verizon and I love it... I think it makes an awesome first Blackberry... the tour is pretty much, I believe an upgraded version of the bold... And the storm 1 sucks, however the storm 2 is supposed to show some promise...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-09 07:18 PM
    The 8530 will have WiFi.It's a more basic device meant to replace the Curve 8330. Not sure when it will be released,maybe the end of the year?
    07-30-09 07:49 PM
    The Tour is 3G and the Curve is not. If you're going to use the internet alot being that they both don't have WiFi that may weigh heavily on your decision. I have a Curve and do love it despite it's shortcomings.
    07-30-09 08:01 PM
    Verizon's Curve 8330 has EVDO 3G.
    07-30-09 08:40 PM
    Go For The Curve No Regrets.
    07-30-09 09:03 PM
    i have a storm and i like it alot but i also had a curve previously and it was awesome but i have played with the tour and i would recommend getting over all the current blackberries that verizon offers right now. and i dont see wifi being a biig issue since verizon requires a unltd data plan but thats a just a personal opinion. so after all i say get the tour for now....
    07-30-09 09:21 PM
    I have the Tour and I love it. Go to your local store and play with them and make a decision from there. I had the Curve and loved it as well but my Tour is a much better phone IMHO.
    07-30-09 09:24 PM
    Go with the tour great phone.

07-30-09 09:31 PM
    The tour is a great device! I play with the tour everytime I'm a( the mall, before I go to work. I have the curve 8330 and I love it! Wise choice on not wanting the storm. Welcome to cb.com

07-30-09 09:59 PM
    Personally, if you are with Verizon, and you are dead-set against the storm, I feel the only way to go is the Tour... it looks awesome, seems easier to type on than the Curve, and has an upgraded OS, plus its nice looking.

Or, wait for the Storm2(odin) and try that out, see if its better than the original storm.
    07-31-09 02:44 AM
    Anyone who tells you to get a Curve 8330 NOW has never had a "Next-Gen" BB... Sure the OS is "basically" the same but to buy outdated tech like an 8330 now on a 2 year contract wouldn't be very smart. The Tour is an amazing device! If you absolutely NEED WiFi then wait for the 8530 or whatever else is coming down the pipe (there's always gonna be a newer and better phone coming down the pipeline). If you don't NEED WiFi, then you will be more than pleased with the Tour. Please don't buy a Curve if it's your first Blackberry! You deserve sooooo much more...
    07-31-09 07:12 AM
    I agree with the Tour being the phone to buy now. I just bought it - and it's my first BlackBerry - and it's fantastic.

It's rumored that a WiFi version of the Tour (code name "Atlas") is coming first quarter next year....but that's quite a wait.
    07-31-09 08:05 AM
    You should wait for the Storm 2, but if you're not interested in a touchscreen BlackBerry, buy a 8330 off contract. Get familiar with BB first before you wait for the perfect phone.
    07-31-09 08:14 AM
    i have a storm and i like it alot but i also had a curve previously and it was awesome but i have played with the tour and i would recommend getting over all the current blackberries that verizon offers right now. and i dont see wifi being a biig issue since verizon requires a unltd data plan but thats a just a personal opinion. so after all i say get the tour for now....
    This is what the guy at Verizon told me basically. He said the only reason to really want WiFi would be if I was in an area that Verizon didn't get any coverage and I could connect through a local coffee shop or something (because Verizon DOES require a data package to be able to use their data phones).

I really thank all of you for your responses. I have heard nothing but good things about the Curve and the Tour. I have tried playing with the Storm and I just don't like it. As much as I wanted a touch screen with cool features, this phone is really not for me. I am not patient enough to click on a button multiple times and still not hit the right one!

I am interested in knowing more information about the 8530 or whatever it is rumored to come to Verizon that will have WiFi. I checked out the specs since it is already out on T-Mobile I believe, and it only has a 2mp camera and not 3G?? Why would you take a step back to add in a new feature like WiFi??
    07-31-09 08:27 AM
    This is what the guy at Verizon told me basically. He said the only reason to really want WiFi would be if I was in an area that Verizon didn't get any coverage and I could connect through a local coffee shop or something (because Verizon DOES require a data package to be able to use their data phones).

I really thank all of you for your responses. I have heard nothing but good things about the Curve and the Tour. I have tried playing with the Storm and I just don't like it. As much as I wanted a touch screen with cool features, this phone is really not for me. I am not patient enough to click on a button multiple times and still not hit the right one!

I am interested in knowing more information about the 8530 or whatever it is rumored to come to Verizon that will have WiFi. I checked out the specs since it is already out on T-Mobile I believe, and it only has a 2mp camera and not 3G?? Why would you take a step back to add in a new feature like WiFi??
    It officially comes for T-Mobile USA next week Wednesday, and it's a low end smartphone. You could get the high end 8900 for free, but what can I say? 8520/8530 makes a great sidekick phone with a nice optical trackpad and Wi-Fi.
    07-31-09 08:36 AM
    Well, the VZW version will at least have EV-DO (vs EDGE on GSM networks), but the cam will only be 2.0 if that's a deal breaker (It shouldn't be). It's a low-end/low-cost device so that is why it has less features (while also gaining WiFi + Trackpad). PLUS I have always said that they will never make the "perfect" phone because then people wouldn't have a reason to upgrade!

What you need to weigh in is: A. Do I have to have WiFi? and B. Do I want/need a new phone now or can I wait?
    Last edited by trvincanity15; 07-31-09 at 08:40 AM.
    07-31-09 08:38 AM
    I'm prob gonna have to grab the 8530 off Ebay when it comes out as a back-up for the Tour. If it comes out at $50 on a new contract for VZW, I don't see the retail price being too extravagent. I had an 8830 as a back-up but the charger port broke... Standard
    07-31-09 08:44 AM

The 8530 will have the same EVDO as the present Curve,not the faster EVDO Rev.A like the Tour and Storm have.T-Mobile's 8520 does not have 3G. Unless WiFi is an absolute must have you would be better off with the Tour.The present Curve's lack of internal memory is starting to make it dated now.
    07-31-09 08:58 AM
    Well, the VZW version will at least have EV-DO (vs EDGE on GSM networks), but the cam will only be 2.0 if that's a deal breaker (It shouldn't be). It's a low-end/low-cost device so that is why it has less features (while also gaining WiFi + Trackpad). PLUS I have always said that they will never make the "perfect" phone because then people wouldn't have a reason to upgrade!

What you need to weigh in is: A. Do I have to have WiFi? and B. Do I want/need a new phone now or can I wait?
    I do not have to have WiFi--- but it's always a nice to have.

I do not currently have a BB or a data phone but I am finding it harder and harder to work without one. So I don't HAVE to have that right now either.

I comes down to this: I do like the Tour, but since I am new to all of this, is there a phone that is coming down the pipe within a few months that would be like the Tour with WiFi? ORRR Is the Tour a better phone than the new one that is supposed to hit Verizon (8530 with Wifi) soon?
    07-31-09 08:59 AM
    The only BB,besides the Storm2,coming anytime soon with WiFi is the 8530.Specs-wise the Tour is better than the 8530.Remember,there hasn't even been given an official launch date for the 8530.I'm really guessing that it's by the end of the year since T-Mobile's version comes out in a week or so. Go for the Tour.But check it out thoroughly.The first Tours seem to have a lot of QC problems.

07-31-09 09:25 AM
    Great discussion on a topic that is driving me nuts however I have a slight twist.

I am currently in the demo period on a BOLD with AT&T. I love the phone but not exactly sure of AT&T network coverage in USA. I'd hate to sign a 2 year contract if a newer and better Bold came out within 6 months.

I have looked at the Verizon Tour and was impressed although it lacks a few of the features of the Bold: Wi-Fi being one and Mobi TV being another.

This is my first BB so there may be a "wow" factor involved but I am having a hard time deciding between sticking with the Bold at the risk of locking into "old technology" or going with the Tour but missing some of the features I like.
    08-02-09 11:32 AM
    When the carrier factor comes in to play you should always go with the phone on the carrier that gives YOU the BEST service (coverage, rates, CS, etc). Choose the carrier FIRST and the phone SECOND...

As for the Bold vs Tour I have owned both phones and while the Bold does have WiFi I didn't use it enough to justify the feature as a "must have". I am not a MobiTV user which requires a WiFi connection of course which plays in to NEEDING the WiFi connection but my personal opinion of a head-to-head comparison between these two phones is to go with the Tour. Carrier aside, I believe this is the best Blackberry currently available. All comes down to personal preference though.

Just remember... Carrier FIRST phone SECOND!
    08-03-09 07:47 AM

Actually that's typical for T-Mobile (one or the other) and since this is a lower end BB, they're not likely to have both in there. I would not assume however, that this is a "step backward" as there are still a lot of areas for T-Mo that do NOT have 3G so obviously that is not all that important. For me, I'd rather have the WiFi but I'm sure that will change in the future. Getting that 8520 would be fine however, it really isn't that much of an upgrade for me (I have a Flip). They could have at least put a better camera in it. As it is, the only real difference is the trackpad and the form factor. That said, it is not out of the realm of possibility that I might get it, simply because I get a bigger screen for reading e-mail (I aint getting any younger after all). If at all possible I will set my sites on the 8900. I suspect the Driftwood might be a bit pricey for me given I'd have to pay full price (not due for an upgrade yet)
    08-03-09 08:07 AM
    Great discussion on a topic that is driving me nuts however I have a slight twist.
    I am currently in the demo period on a BOLD with AT&T. I love the phone but not exactly sure of AT&T network coverage in USA. I'd hate to sign a 2 year contract if a newer and better Bold came out within 6 months.
    If AT&T's network is good at home and where you daily travel then I'd stick with the Bold.Until I see otherwise it still is RIM's flagship BlackBerry.
    08-03-09 09:16 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD