The Samsung GS5 has a USB 3.0 B port. Will Blackberry migrate, too? Is there a new micro USB3.0 standard on the horizon that is preventing the change? Europe's laws about standardized charging ports? The tech has changed too long ago to be stuck with USB 2, still. And it seems to me USB3 would be beneficial in a lot of professional settings, especially when it comes to the flagship Q30. Thoughts?
    06-05-14 11:40 AM
    Personally, I like the speeds, but would prefer for them to wait until 3.1 type C comes out, because the current port is just enormous, so not 2014.

USB 3.0-usb-type-c.jpg
    06-05-14 12:38 PM
    The Samsung GS5 has a USB 3.0 B port. Will Blackberry migrate, too? Is there a new micro USB3.0 standard on the horizon that is preventing the change? Europe's laws about standardized charging ports? The tech has changed too long ago to be stuck with USB 2, still. And it seems to me USB3 would be beneficial in a lot of professional settings, especially when it comes to the flagship Q30. Thoughts?
    I was thinking about USB3 recently - when migrating 20Gb+ of music to my SD Card (Q10) and also to the SD Card of a Sony Z2 (via the Sony Media To Go app) - both migrations were via USB2

The migrations took ages, and I checked to see if either phone supported USB3 (they don't)

Then I thought about it some more..... the USB2 connection is way faster than the SD Card's ability to be written to

So... other than an Androidish "we've got the latest specs(, but an inefficient OS)" argument, I couldn't see any point of having USB3 on my phones

How do you think USB3 will be beneficial on a BlackBerry OS 10 device?
    06-05-14 12:42 PM
    USB isn't the bottleneck. What good is it if SD card is 10 Mbps flash writes?

Posted via CB10
    06-05-14 03:51 PM
    I have a 80Mbps card in my Q10 right now. I guess USB is still the bottleneck despite its theoretical speeds being higher than my card. Test a USB 3.0 CF card reader against a USB 2.0 reader. 3 is faster. So I'm not really sure what the deal is, I'll need to test my cards.

But I get what you're saying, it won't make a major difference in terms of speed. But powering coming from the port is greater. You could then theoretically run multiple USB 3.0 portable hard drives from your phone. Also, the extra bandwidth is helpful for transferring data across multiple drives, with the phone being the go-between. There are many more applications than simply loading your microSD card with music.

Plus, it would position BlackBerry as a forward thinking company. Seems to be working for Samsung.

However, I do agree about waiting for the new USB 3.1 mini connectors. I had forgotten about that photo. That will definitely be the new standard, and is worth waiting for (instead of having users upgrade their cables twice in two years or so).
    BCITMike likes this.
    06-05-14 06:20 PM
    I prefer not, so I can keep using all my cables with all my devices... Playbook charger for all my phones, 1 USB at work, 1 USB at my computer, 1 charger in the car (cigarette), 1 USB in the Mediabox...
    So by changing USB to 3.0 I lose all this!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    06-05-14 06:30 PM
    I prefer not, so I can keep using all my cables with all my devices... Playbook charger for all my phones, 1 USB at work, 1 USB at my computer, 1 charger in the car (cigarette), 1 USB in the Mediabox...
    So by changing USB to 3.0 I lose all this!

It's backwards compatible. Industry standards, my friend. This isn't Apple.
    KarlosSpicyWienr and ronfc like this.
    06-05-14 07:59 PM
    It's backwards compatible. Industry standards, my friend. This isn't Apple.
    It is backward compatible in terms of being able to plug a USB 3 device into a USB 2 port. However, since they have different connectors he wouldn't be able to use a current USB 2 cable to plug into a USB 3 device.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-05-14 09:09 PM
    It is backward compatible in terms of being able to plug a USB 3 device into a USB 2 port. However, since they have different connectors he wouldn't be able to use a current USB 2 cable to plug into a USB 3 device.

http://forums.crackberry.com/e?link=...token=Bgt4lNQw
    06-05-14 09:27 PM

USB 3 cables cost pennies to dollars. And USB 3.1 C will be the new standard connector, maybe in 2015 or 2016's batch of phones.
    06-06-14 12:40 AM
    I have a 80Mbps card in my Q10 right now. I guess USB is still the bottleneck despite its theoretical speeds being higher than my card. Test a USB 3.0 CF card reader against a USB 2.0 reader. 3 is faster. So I'm not really sure what the deal is, I'll need to test my cards.

But I get what you're saying, it won't make a major difference in terms of speed. But powering coming from the port is greater. You could then theoretically run multiple USB 3.0 portable hard drives from your phone. Also, the extra bandwidth is helpful for transferring data across multiple drives, with the phone being the go-between. There are many more applications than simply loading your microSD card with music.

Plus, it would position BlackBerry as a forward thinking company. Seems to be working for Samsung.

However, I do agree about waiting for the new USB 3.1 mini connectors. I had forgotten about that photo. That will definitely be the new standard, and is worth waiting for (instead of having users upgrade their cables twice in two years or so).
    Hmm, I wouldn't have thought, but data says usb 3 is better than usb 2 with same card.

Card Reader Comparison: USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 - Puget Custom Computers
    06-06-14 01:05 AM
    Hmm, I wouldn't have thought, but data says usb 3 is better than usb 2 with same card.

Card Reader Comparison: USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 - Puget Custom Computers
    Thank you for doing the research and finding that comparison.

Makes me wish BlackBerry had USB 3 even more now, seeing as how speeds are roughly doubled (though the comparison is with CF cards, I see no reason a high speed microSD wouldn't fare similarly; or even the built in flash memory).

I'd suggest I'm not the average user, however, as I'd like to turn my phone into a mobile computer for data backup while on the road.
    06-06-14 08:48 AM
    Thank you for doing the research and finding that comparison.

Makes me wish BlackBerry had USB 3 even more now, seeing as how speeds are roughly doubled (though the comparison is with CF cards, I see no reason a high speed microSD wouldn't fare similarly; or even the built in flash memory).

I'd suggest I'm not the average user, however, as I'd like to turn my phone into a mobile computer for data backup while on the road.
    I already did it... My Q is my mobile computer now... My HomePC is for backup only (and to do the task that can't be done otherwise).
    If my Q can do it, it does it!

06-06-14 11:55 PM
    I already did it... My Q is my mobile computer now... My HomePC is for backup only (and to do the task that can't be done otherwise).
    If my Q can do it, it does it!

Without USB OTG or ExFAT support (for external filesystems) then the Q10 simply can't cut it as a computer. For me anyway. Close but no cigar. I'd love to leave my laptop behind when shooting or on a trip that I'm photographing. But not yet.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 12:04 AM