1. AG212's Avatar
    Well, I am able to upgrade within a week, and am being pulled in a few different directions on what to do.

    I'm personally not sure if I would be able to justify the purchase of the Storm 2, as its seems great from what I hear, but I don't know if its worth going to a very similar device. Don't get me wrong, I do like the Storm, but Im not sure if I want to buy a phone that isn't majorly different. Maybe its because of my lack of physically having one, who knows.

    I could go the Tour route, but quite frankly, I'm kind of afraid of the problems I might encounter with all the trackball failure among other things Ive heard.

    Or the Essex route. This would obviously be the longest wait, which is why Im really unsure on it, and again, I'm not sure if the small additions to the Tour would justify the wait. The trackpad is appealing, though, due to all the problems I hear with Tour trackballs. Also, who knows if the Storm will even see an update in that time

    Also, I'm not sure how nice Wifi is since, Ive never had it on a phone.

    And keep in kind I dont even HAVE to upgrade. It just would be kind of nice unless some miracle-golden OS is around the corner for the Storm that is basically perfect.

    So, if you had to choose, what would you do?
    10-04-09 09:15 PM
  2. bacon.jay's Avatar
    I'm also wrestling with this question, although i have a little time to think about it, but right now I am using a Curve 8330 and its lack of adequate memory is starting to get to me...

    I am eligible for a $100 verizon credit on any phone with a renewed contract around mid-November, and I'm not sure if i should just get the tour then, or wait a couple extra months to get the essex in Jan-Feb when it is supposedly going to be released.

    Also, word on the street is that the iPhone is going to be available with verizon in january of next year, and i'm seriously thinking about checking it out *GASP* if that's the case. it's the only touch-screen i can stand to use, all the other ones feel cheap as ****...
    10-05-09 04:52 AM
  3. smnc's Avatar
    I had a similar dilemma.
    My 8310 was really starting to show it's age, and I was all set to burn my MASSIVE UPGRADE CREDIT as soon as the 9700 dropped... Or maybe even go with Palm Pre...
    But then the rumours of a touchscreen Berry with a keyboard surfaced... and CREDIBLE rumours at that...
    I really wanted to wait for a Dakota or Mr.T, but my 8310 was driving NUTS.
    Finally I snapped.
    I bought a slightly used 8900 Curve from Craigslist for $300. That's not too much more than I would have paid on contract anyways, but since I'm not under contract, and I haven't burned my MASSIVE UPGRADE CREDIT, I'm free to buy a new device if/when they come out, and then I can just sell my 8900
    10-05-09 06:51 AM
  4. moni19's Avatar
    Also, word on the street is that the iPhone is going to be available with verizon in january of next year, and i'm seriously thinking about checking it out *GASP* if that's the case. it's the only touch-screen i can stand to use, all the other ones feel cheap as ****...[/QUOTE]

    I'm in the same position...I can upgrade my phone in November but all of the new BB's are pretty similar except for the Storm, which is a touch screen device. But other than that, they all look the same and have the same OS. So, it's really no difference between them. That's why I think I'm going to hold on to my Storm until next year and see if the iPhone will actually come to Verizon...I really hope it does and I know it will be hard giving up my BB but I think I'm ready to move on to something new and refreshing.
    10-05-09 09:16 AM
  5. codito's Avatar
    I had a similar dilemma.
    My 8310 was really starting to show it's age, and I was all set to burn my MASSIVE UPGRADE CREDIT as soon as the 9700 dropped... Or maybe even go with Palm Pre...
    But then the rumours of a touchscreen Berry with a keyboard surfaced... and CREDIBLE rumours at that...
    I really wanted to wait for a Dakota or Mr.T, but my 8310 was driving NUTS.
    Finally I snapped.
    I bought a slightly used 8900 Curve from Craigslist for $300. That's not too much more than I would have paid on contract anyways, but since I'm not under contract, and I haven't burned my MASSIVE UPGRADE CREDIT, I'm free to buy a new device if/when they come out, and then I can just sell my 8900
    I'm strongly considering in March when I do upgrade to the 9700 (that's the earliest I'm eligible) just doing a 1 year upgrade for a lesser discount since I'll have extra tax return money to buffer the cost so I can upgrade again in a year.
    10-05-09 11:30 AM
  6. smnc's Avatar
    I'm strongly considering in March when I do upgrade to the 9700 (that's the earliest I'm eligible) just doing a 1 year upgrade for a lesser discount since I'll have extra tax return money to buffer the cost so I can upgrade again in a year.
    Yeah, that was my original plan, but my 8900 would have been $549 on a one year contract, LMAO...
    I paid about half that with NO contract....
    10-05-09 12:48 PM
  7. bernal125's Avatar
    I had the same dilemna as the op. my storm would just not click right no matter what i did to it (torx, paper, sim card trick) so i finally gave in and bought a tour. couldnt wait for the essex. the tour is amazing and very very fast and dont worry about the trackballs and screen ripples, it was just in the release ones they have fixed that now
    10-05-09 01:24 PM
  8. codito's Avatar
    Yeah, that was my original plan, but my 8900 would have been $549 on a one year contract, LMAO...
    I paid about half that with NO contract....
    Yeah it definitely depends on how ridiculous the price is. I might just suck it up and do the 2 year.
    10-05-09 02:04 PM
  9. AG212's Avatar
    Its somewhat nice to hear other people are as unsure as to what berry to get as I am

    Im probably gonna go in and look at a Tour this weekend just to get the feel for it.

    Though, if I do decide to go the Tour route and not wait for the Essex, I might wait until the Storm 2 is released so I dont have any regrets on my purchase.

    Which in Tour vs Essex alone, Im leaning toward the Tour due to its availability currently, as Im not sure if waiting six or so months for wifi, a better camera(when I find the Storm's is already sufficient,) and the trackpad is quite worth it.

    But yeah. Choosing a one of these is a hard decision. Why cant we just have all of them, right?
    10-05-09 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD